Coronavirus

2,000,252 Views | 19839 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by ncsupack1
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"And their last, dying words are, 'This can't be happening. It's not real.' "

Bull*****
Civilized
IseWolf22 said:

ciscopack said:

South Dakota nurse says many dying patients still insist COVID-19 'not real'

Where did they get that idea?
My brother, a ER Dr. has faced this multiple times, but mostly it's the family who insists the virus isn't real.

It's astounding how people will stick to their guns about the alleged seaworthiness of their ship even as the last sliver of the hull slips under the surface and makes a beeline for the ocean floor.

Pride is a helluva drug.
ncsualum05
Why is the entire country spiking right now? And why is the reaction from tyrannical lying smug leaders to lock back down?

Restrictions and lockdowns.... DON'T WORK. It's proven now... we've seen it. It's not like we've completely ever opened up. We certainly have relaxed restrictions throughout the year. But there's no rhyme or reason for this virus. It's not like the second we went from phase 1 to 2 that it spiked rampantly. Or that when we tightened back up it helped. Lockdowns are scientifically proven to be useless. Therefore they are simply a form of tyranny and nothing more. No need to lie about it at this point.

Is the virus spreading much at restaurants and gyms? No not that anybody has found much. Is it b/c of that packed football stadium? No b/c fans aren't allowed to pack a football stadium. How about basketball arenas? Nope. Concerts? Don't have any of those either. Maybe we need to learn to live with this especially considering we have the treatments now to deal with it and a vaccine is around the corner.

They are partying hard in Wuhan right now.
Daviewolf83
In looking at deaths by county last week, I found some interesting details. If you look at the top 12 counties by number of deaths, there are several smaller counties reporting a larger than expected number of deaths for the week ending 11/14.

Gaston (18)
Forsyth (14)
Mecklenburg (12)
Carteret (9)
Catawba (7)
Cabarrus (6)
Wayne (6)
Beaufort (5)
Greene (5)
Iredell (5)
Lee (5)
Nash (5)

Conspicuous by their absence from the listing are Wake County and Durham County, with zero net deaths. Wake County did report two deaths during the period, but they also removed two previously reported deaths. For a county that size, even two deaths is small, considering it is the second largest county in NC. Also, there are 41 counties that reported no deaths for last week.
ncsualum05
Got the latest guidelines from the CDC....

Sorry... couldn't resist.
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

In looking at deaths by county last week, I found some interesting details. If you look at the top 12 counties by number of deaths, there are several smaller counties reporting a larger than expected number of deaths for the week ending 11/14.

Gaston (18)
Forsyth (14)
Mecklenburg (12)
Carteret (9)
Catawba (7)
Cabarrus (6)
Wayne (6)
Beaufort (5)
Greene (5)
Iredell (5)
Lee (5)
Nash (5)

Conspicuous by their absence from the listing are Wake County and Durham County, with zero net deaths. Wake County did report two deaths during the period, but they also removed two previously reported deaths. For a county that size, even two deaths is small, considering it is the second largest county in NC. Also, there are 41 counties that reported no deaths for last week.
Wake continues to do astoundingly well (knock on wood) for an urban county with over 1,000,000 people with regards to death totals.

What Wake has done a good job of in the last few months not having LARGE LTC outbreaks. While there are a few outbreaks right now, they are only a handful of staff/patients. That does wonders for your death totals.

Hopefully they continue that success with the current case rates being as high as they are.
Wayland
I don't hate the messaging today to try and focus even more on localized recommendations for hot spots with County Alert System.

Thought there should have been a better local/regional breakdown all along.
PackMom
When I saw that I figured maybe they were finally listening to you guys.
Wayland
PackMom said:

When I saw that I figured maybe they were finally listening to you guys.
Interesting the went right to the counties. Which is all good.

I think they would have been better served, if for the last 9 months, they put a greater emphasis on breaking things down into the 7 regions that they have used for years in ILI and now use for CLI.

And 'roughly' use for hospitalizations (although it doesn't quite break the same way)

But, the more localized the data the better.
packgrad
statefan91
That's awesome - hopefully the same type of reaction from natural infection and vaccines. Good news on all fronts there.
statefan91
Pfizer trial now complete, moved up to 95% efficacy:

Daviewolf83
I have mentioned this previously in other posts, but there are a couple of more recent articles highlighting the fact that the mutation of the Coronavirus that hit Europe and much of the US was much more contagious than the strain that hit China and much of Asia Pacific. In the U.S., the original strain from China circulated first on the West Coast. The new strain came from Europe, entered through New York and some other Eastern cities, and traveled to the rest of the East Coast.

This latest study helps to confirm earlier studies that showed a mutation in the spike protein made the virus much more efficient in infecting people. It did not make the virus more deadly, just better able to infect people and allow for greater transfer. The mutation that hit Europe, the US and most of the Western nations is known as the 614G strain.

You can read the full article at the following link:

New Mutation Sped Up Spread of Coronavirus

There is a much more detailed article in Nature from early September that I also encourage you to read if you are interested in this topic. This particular article gets into more detail as to the reasons why the 614G stratin became the dominant strain. You can find this article at this link:

The Coronavirus is Mutating - Does it Matter?
Daviewolf83
Related to the two leading vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna), here is a timeline I just saw for possible Emergency Use Authorization:

1. Pfizer will apply for EUA within the week. As posted earlier, they are now showing 95% efficacy.
2. Moderna will apply for EUA around Thanksgiving.
3. FDA will hold a meeting with the Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee December 8-10. Both applications could be considered at this time.
4. Potential EUA would be issued for both vaccines on 12/10.
statefan91
Daviewolf83 said:

Related to the two leading vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna), here is a timeline I just saw for possible Emergency Use Authorization:

1. Pfizer will apply for EUA within the week. As posted earlier, they are now showing 95% efficacy.
3. FDA will hold a meeting with the Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee December 8-10. Both applications could be considered at this time.
If EUA could be issued 12/10 - knowing that distribution is already occurring, could patients begin to receive the first dose as early as 12/10?
caryking
Civilized said:

ciscopack said:

South Dakota nurse says many dying patients still insist COVID-19 'not real'

Where did they get that idea?

Out of respect for this thread and not going political, I deleted my original response.

Suffice it to say that the way the president communicates about pandemics and issues of national importance matters and Americans take their cues from the president.
I don't!!! You should advise everyone you know not to do so, regardless of President... God would be a welcome alternative.
wilmwolf
Some Americans on one extreme take their cues form the president. About the same number of Americans do the exact opposite of whatever stance he takes. Let's not kid ourselves. The great majority of people in this country believe the virus is real, and the great majority are doing what they are told to try and limit it's spread. Saying otherwise is just dumb partisan bull***** Politicians on both sides are deep in some hypocritical bull with their virus policies and actions, there's no moral high ground here. We should be focusing on the vaccines, the new treatment options that we now know of, and continuing to do the small things we can that maybe keep the at-risk from getting infected.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wayland
NC - 11/18 *with* COVID Deaths Update. +46

DoD Reported
11/16(10), 11/15(8), 11/14(3), 11/13(6), 11/12(4), 11//11(3), 11/6, 11/4, 11/3, 11/2, 10/31(2), 10/30, 10/20, 10/15, 10/13, 9/29, 9/10, 7/1

1 missing assigned DoD (5 missing)

Setting:
No Dashboard update by NC DHHS.

Hospitalizations finally look like they are showing real increase.

ciscopack
wilmwolf80 said:

Some Americans on one extreme take their cues form the president. About the same number of Americans do the exact opposite of whatever stance he takes. Let's not kid ourselves. The great majority of people in this country believe the virus is real, and the great majority are doing what they are told to try and limit it's spread. Saying otherwise is just dumb partisan bull***** Politicians on both sides are deep in some hypocritical bull with their virus policies and actions, there's no moral high ground here. We should be focusing on the vaccines, the new treatment options that we now know of, and continuing to do the small things we can that maybe keep the at-risk from getting infected.
The red up the middle of the Covid map looks very similar to the red up the middle of the election map....just saying. Then you hear of people dying with Covid-19 that thinks there is no such thing according to a nurse in North Dakota. Go figure.
WPNfamily
ciscopack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

The red up the middle of the Covid map looks very similar to the red up the middle of the election map....just saying. Then you hear of people dying with Covid-19 that thinks there is no such thing according to a nurse in North Dakota. Go figure.

At some point will you disconnect from politics?
wilmwolf
He's not capable of it. It's delusional at this point. There's a very large portion of the covid deaths from blue states that I could point to, but I don't because it doesn't matter, because it's a virus, and it doesn't care what your political beliefs are, or what party the governor belongs to.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
ciscopack
WPNfamily said:

ciscopack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

At some point will you disconnect from politics?
Not when it is definitely connected to this subject! 1/8 million lives would be saved (125,000) in the last 9 months with competent health care and preaching science and more people would have worked at their jobs longer too....beyond a shadow of a doubt we'd be closer to normal now while still waiting for the vaccine. Donald Trump did an excellent job getting companies started on a vaccine and having them work harder and quicker than normal! Excellent job!

ciscopack
In reply to Steve Williams 2:54p, 10/13/20

Quote:

Steve Williams said:
I fully expect Covid to be at the absolute worst numbers we've seen since last March by the time we get to the election. The explosion of cases will be the number one story in the nation leading up to the election.
If you guessed that it is going up now, you'd be correct. My guess is that it will go up some more by then but go even higher the next 3-5 months after that time; but I think that's more of a scientific guess? In the US...it depends on us as to what happens.

.......................................................................................

ciscopack
In reply to Daviewolf83 3:47a, 10/17/20

Quote:

Quote:

Wayland said:
So I am not really here (back Mon or Tues), but interesting that 1% of all ED visits last week were for ILI but there were zero positive flu tests in the state. Been some discussion nationally this week about flu suppression due to C19, follows the complete lack of a flu season in the Southern hemisphere. Will be interesting to watch if C19 is dominating flu. Flu dropped to zero in spring like a rock when C19 appeared.
Daviewolf83 said:
I believe masks, social distancing, and washing hands will help with the flu this year. If more people get the flu vaccine (as it has been recommended) and we follow the guidelines for controlling the spread of Covid, it should definitely help to control the flu season.
No doubt! - 34,200 deaths during the 2018-2019 influenza season.Jan 8, 2020

1 year Covid-19 deaths in US will approach 400,000 - opinion

400,000 will be a close guess if people like the South Dakota governor have anything to do with it and it could be too low (in 1 year)? The flu will kill far less from 2019-2020 because of the people who distanced, wore masks (let's call them medical devices rather than masks) and washed their hands often.
sf59
Daviewolf83 said:

Good time line. Aiming to get the EUA submitted and crossing the 1st finish line on 25Nov.

The goal is for everyone to leave their work computers powered off this Thanksgiving
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
—Jack Handey
PackMom
sf59 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Good time line. Aiming to get the EUA submitted and crossing the 1st finish line on 25Nov.

The goal is for everyone to leave their work computers powered off this Thanksgiving
Wish I could give this more than one star!
PortCityPackFan
sf59 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Before you think you can turn off your computer for Thanksgiving, you better have all monitoring reports completed, all queries resolved and any filing current in the eTMF. Otherwise, there will be no logging off at 3:00 on Wednesday!
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

He's not capable of it. It's delusional at this point. There's a very large portion of the covid deaths from blue states that I could point to, but I don't because it doesn't matter, because it's a virus, and it doesn't care what your political beliefs are, or what party the governor belongs to.
It would probably take something like a stake through the heart, or a silver bullet at this point... figuratively speaking only of course.
AlleyPack
So I heard a rumor yesterday (from a teacher in Wake County) that, based on hints dropped from an admin, the state is considering having all schools be virtual for the first 2-3 weeks of January -- to try and counter all the travel, family gathering, etc. that is likely to take place over the Christmas break. (and thus suppress an influx of spread)

Anyone heard any similar whispers?

I could see people "discussing" such an option... but I highly doubt any decision has actually been made yet, as we're still six weeks out from such that time period.
But then again.... nothing would surprise/shock me anymore.
Everpack
https://www.thepragmatist.co/post/more-than-50-of-u-s-states-never-exceeded-2017-2018-weekly-flu-deaths-state-by-state-analysis

Interesting read showing the wild differences in localized effects of the virus in regards to excess deaths.
Wayland
NC - 11/19 *with* COVID Deaths Update. +38

DoD Reported
11/17(9) 11/16(7), 11/15(4), 11/14(3), 11/13(3), 11/12, 11//9(2), 11/8(3), 11/6, 11/5, 10/25(2), 10/18, 7/17

0 missing assigned DoD (5 missing)

Setting:
13 Congregate , 10 Unknown , 15 General Population

Another day with double digit 'Unknown/Missing' death settings.

Also, for the second straight day, Wake County has reported an additional death from over 4 months ago. Today 7/17, yesterday was 7/1.

packgrad
Hard to believe it takes 4 months to determine cause of death. Doesn't take nearly that long on NCIS.

Science.
Wayland
ex VP of Pfizer unhappy with UK lockdown policy.

Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

ex VP of Pfizer unhappy with UK lockdown policy.

I watched an interview with him a couple of weeks ago. For people who do not know, he is the former head of science at Pfizer. Given his education and professional background, I do take his views very seriously. In the interview I watched last week, he said if you are not a candidate to get a normal flu shot, you should not be trying to get the vaccine for Covid. He is very clear that the vaccine should be targeted to the older population and people with preexisting issues.
Daviewolf83
It has been just over a week, since I provided my last view of overall hospitalizations. On the good news front, it appears the average percentage of Covid patients in ICU continues to decline. Since my update last week, it is down 1% from 28% to 27% for the 30-day average. You can see the full results in the graph below.

As to the percentage of "active" Covid positives that are hospitalized, it continues to stay around the 4% mark. It had declined in the past couple of weeks, but recently ticked up slightly. Even though cases continue to climb, it appears the percentage of those active cases continues to remain stable.

Last, with regards to hospital capacities, they appear to also be stable and NC is still doing well with regards to overall capacity.

Daviewolf83
Some key points from the Coronavirus Task Force Briefing today:

1. Dr. Birx - Contact tracing indicates most of the spread is not happening in the public space, but in small gatherings among family and friends. By the way, on the status of hospitalizations by state, North Carolina was "Green."

2. Dr. Fauci on the vaccines: "we need to put to rest that this was rushed in any inappropriate way." He says the highest priority groups of people will get the vaccine by the end of December. He said the efficacy of both vaccines that recently completed Phase 3 is incredibly impressive.

3. Dr. Redfield of the CDC: Closing schools is not necessary. The data they have looked at indicates transmission is not happening in schools, but is happening in the small gatherings and among family members away from the schools. He said we do not need to be closing K-12 schools and even higher ed should proceed.

4. General Perna, who is in charge of vaccine distribution says they will be ready to distribute the vaccine within 24 hour of approval of the EUA. They already have 100 million vaccine kits prepared and just waiting on the vaccine to put in the kits. Within 48 hours of approval, people will begin receiving the vaccine. Here's the chart he shared, showing the distribution supply chain:

Steve Williams
Staff
Daviewolf83 said:

Can't really get into specifics but I heard government entities are expecting doses of the vaccine within the next 30 days.
First Page Last Page
Page 180 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.