Poll: Would you like to see a new coach for baseball, yes or no?

34,724 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wolfer79
Struttingwolf96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Amen. What Packsd14me just said.
EthanBarry
Staff
I wish we had this much traffic on the baseball boards when we were #2 in the country
CLTWolf
EthanBarry said:

I wish we had this much traffic on the baseball boards when we were #2 in the country
He could coach at that point in time and no one had anything to piss and moan about.
gopack1979
Packsd14me said:

CTLWolf,

I agree about injuries hurting the pitching staff. Pitarra's injury hurt, too. Yes, I played long ago and coached young men for many years. Sent players to State (sort of) he signed with the Astros and never made it Raleigh. UNC, UNC-A, UNC-C, UNC-G, and many smaller schools. I saw both DJ and Ethan pitch many times. Great kids.I saw them both play outfield, too. They were college pitchers. That's my point about Avent playing good players out of position. Ratledge made his name at the plate, not at shortstop. I saw him in high school, too. He was not the best defensive shortstop, even in high school. The Pirates moved him to left and DH. My point is we have to play both sides of the ball to win, not just offense. McLain and Wilson are very good hitters. So is Bailey. They have to be taught situational hitting. We have always been lacking in what I call "team play" on offense since Avent has been here. Giving yourself up for the sake of the team.I once saw a 2-1 game in wooden bat summer league for college players where a little second baseman fought off multiple Wake Forest pitcher's inside (to force a ball to the left side) 90 plus mile per hour fast balls with a runner on second until the second baseman forced an inside pitch to the right side resulting 3 hopper between first and second. The second baseman from Catawba made a nice play on the grass in right field and retired him 4-3. The next batter hit a lazy fly to right field scoring the runner. That made the score 2-1 at the time and it held up. After the game, the Braves scout stopped the second baseman (who was sad that he only went 1-3 in the game) and told him he had the most important at bat of the game and congratulated him on "understanding how to win". His face beamed. We don't do those things and haven't much with Avent. We did with Tanner and Esposito. Brent Williams was a very underrated part of the CWS team. Speed at the top and defense in the outfield. McLain was comparable. Both he and Wilson can hit. Bailey is going to be a wealthy catcher barring injury. Edwards has power but is inconsistent. He needs to watch Freeman of the Braves and hit the ball to left more. Kinneman and Deathrage are even worse at trying to pull the ball but they could be very good with a few adjustments. They found a whole in Tatums' swing and exploited it. He needs to adjust and got no help. He just swung harder, which didn't help him. He could be very good. Both Brown and Vasquez can really play defense, too. We were stronger this year than any year in my recent memory in the combination speed, defense and depth in the field and at the plate.Even with the injuries to the pitching staff, we had good arms. The overall depth of this team and Avent's possible choices to play was very good. That is what I was saying. The players need to be taught to win against good teams. I really don't blame any of the players. Rodon was the difference between the two teams. Avent rode him. Avent made poor decisions with pitching in Omaha and Turner's fly ball in the 8th against UCLA, a home run in almost every other park, was caught at Ameritrade and we were done.

I have said enough about recruiting, but I will say I know coaches in NC that don't like dealing with him. They sent boys to State, UNC, Clem, App St and others. I heard many players talk about he "communicated" or lack there of, as compared to other coaches. However, the player I coached didn't have that issue. Of course, he threw 94 with movement, too.

Do I think we could get a better coach? Yes, even with DY leaving. There are young coaches all over that know baseball. State is not a bad situation. All successful coaches think they can win at all levels. Facilities are behind others but not awful. We do need upgrades like covered seating and expanded seating down both lines.They could come promised to the new coach.Take, for example, Pollard at Duke. He came from Appalachain. He gets almost no kids from from NC. Has to recruit up north because of the money. His team is catching ours. They aren't as good as we are but they are close. Conine helps them. His Dad could pay the dollars but still he has to find other good ball players that can afford Duke. He is winning. You can win at State in baseball if you can coach.

Spot on. Only think I'd add is what we didn't do with Debo. Dude can rake and we let him die on the vine.
CLTWolf
gopack1979 said:

Spot on. Only think I'd add is what we didn't do with Debo. Dude can rake and we let him die on the vine.
Debo was concussed for a large part of the season. We didn't let him die on anything.
EthanBarry
Staff
CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

He could coach at that point in time and no one had anything to piss and moan about.
Imagine how good we would've been if we had a good coach.
CLTWolf
EthanBarry said:

CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

We have a good coach that people want to run off after a good season. I've love to see a great coach here but heaven forbid he has a down year...people will want to run him off b/c they googled how to play baseball.
BigLefty24
CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

We have a good coach that people want to run off after a good season. I've love to see a great coach here but heaven forbid he has a down year...people will want to run him off b/c they googled how to play baseball.

EthanBarry
Staff
Thank you for the laugh. That guy is funnier than Kent Murphy
EthanBarry
Staff
CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

For sure. It also sucks we can't get a great coach right now with what we've got, We'd have to find a diamond in the rough and hope he sticks it out for the long haul
Ripper
Coach Avent had a nice season. Certainly not fireable. However, we are located in a tough neighborhood, competing against many coaches who have won tangible victories. Conference titles, regional titles, super regional titles, and CW titles (and CW runnerups). Mike Martin (8 ACC, 15 CW apps), Jim Morris (5 ACC, 12 CW apps, 2 CW titles), Brian O'Connor (2 ACC, 4 CW's, 1 CW title), Mike Fox (2 ACC, 6 CW's), Danny Hall (5 ACC, 3 CW's), Monte Lee (1 ACC), Jack Leggett (2 ACC, 6 CW's), and McDonnell (4 CW's in 10 years).

Coach Avent, in 22 years, has had pretty good results. But no ACC title, not one regular season title, and not even one division title.

To me, it all comes down to pitching. If we have one more quality pitcher in any given season, he probably gets some hardware. Quality pitching can overcome bad luck, untimely errors, and coaching blunders.
BigLefty24
Ripper said:

Coach Avent had a nice season. Certainly not fireable. However, we are located in a tough neighborhood, competing against many coaches who have won tangible victories. Conference titles, regional titles, super regional titles, and CW titles (and CW runnerups). Mike Martin (8 ACC, 15 CW apps), Jim Morris (5 ACC, 12 CW apps, 2 CW titles), Brian O'Connor (2 ACC, 4 CW's, 1 CW title), Mike Fox (2 ACC, 6 CW's), Danny Hall (5 ACC, 3 CW's), Monte Lee (1 ACC), Jack Leggett (2 ACC, 6 CW's), and McDonnell (4 CW's in 10 years).

Coach Avent, in 22 years, has had pretty good results. But no ACC title, not one regular season title, and not even one division title.

To me, it all comes down to pitching. If we have one more quality pitcher in any given season, he probably gets some hardware. Quality pitching can overcome bad luck, untimely errors, and coaching blunders.

We were 26-6 and ranked #2 in the nation when Piedmonte got pulled from the Notre Dame game with back stiffness. He had lost ONE game in two years to that point. We finished the year 16-16 from that point.

Losing a #1 type starter is crushing. Now everyone moves up a spot in the rotation. Your #2 is now facing the opposition #1 every weekend. One of your best relievers is now thrust into a starting role. Your starting rotation gets worse, your bullpen gets worse.. Your offense is under more pressure to produce every game. It changes everything. With Piedmonte and Brown, we had a 1-2 punch that could match up with anyone. After Johnny started having back issues, our starting rotation went took a dive, and the result was a disappointing finish to what was still a really good year.

Ripper
BigLefty24 said:

Ripper said:

We were 26-6 and ranked #2 in the nation when Piedmonte got pulled from the Notre Dame game with back stiffness. He had lost ONE game in two years to that point. We finished the year 16-16 from that point.

Losing a #1 type starter is crushing. Now everyone moves up a spot in the rotation. Your #2 is now facing the opposition #1 every weekend. One of your best relievers is now thrust into a starting role. Your starting rotation gets worse, your bullpen gets worse.. Your offense is under more pressure to produce every game. It changes everything. With Piedmonte and Brown, we had a 1-2 punch that could match up with anyone. After Johnny started having back issues, our starting rotation went took a dive, and the result was a disappointing finish to what was still a really good year.

Injuries are part of the game. We lost Feeney pre season. Then Piedmonte had his issues. Some schools still have another high quality guy in the wings. Our pitching staffs over the years cannot overcome that type of adversity. It is what it is.

BigLefty24
And Staley. 37 kids on the roster, 11.7 scholarships to divide amongst them. You're simply not gonna replace a #1 type starter, etc with just another dude and keep rolling along without missing a beat. Just look at what a hurt Piedmonte did in the regional. He was flat dominant pitching hurt until he couldn't go anymore.
DrummerboyWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

I find it extremely amusing that people are complaining about our free swinging style this season, when the biggest complaint about Avent for most of his career was that he was too reliant on small ball. Plate discipline was not a strong suit of this year's team, but without the ability to hit the ball out of the park, we win fifteen less games, maybe more.
Yep I wholeheartedly agree. For 17 or so years, Avent always tried to manufacture runs with bunts. My biggest complaint was that he bunted too much and now they are saying he doesn't know how to manufacture runs.

Earl Weaver hated to bunt. His formula was good pitching, good defense and three run homers. You only have 27 outs and Earl wasn't giving them away. He was pretty successful at winning.

College game is a little different but not much. There are many different ways to get it done, but a lot of the time you have to adjust to the team you have. We had some power this year and it worked. We did strike out a lot lately, but that was also due to facing better pitching.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Ripper
BigLefty24 said:

And Staley. 37 kids on the roster, 11.7 scholarships to divide amongst them. You're simply not gonna replace a #1 type starter, etc with just another dude and keep rolling along without missing a beat. Just look at what a hurt Piedmonte did in the regional. He was flat dominant pitching hurt until he couldn't go anymore.

It happened in 2016 when Ryan Williamson got hurt. We should have beaten Coastal. One more quality arm would have done it.

Same thing last year against KY. We just don't have enough quality arms compared to some top rated schools.

Edit: our 2013 CWS team is the only team I can recall where we had a top flight pitching staff, top to bottom.
DrummerboyWolf
gopack1979 said:

You do know that Debo suffered a concussion don't you? Do you know if his symptoms were continuing off and on during the season or how much it affected him? I doubt you do. Debo did not play much, but when he played he did not look good.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
basementwolf
EthanBarry said:

CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

We would probably be playing this weekend.
basementwolf
JCooke93 said:

Ripper said:

Is Chris Hart a viable replacement for whenever Avent leaves? Is he considered a top level assistant?

Also, I still don't understand how Avent can hold up stadium upgrades if the AD wants them. He says no, I want the current low grade venue, and the AD says ok, we'll leave the place as is. Sounds like missing info on the situation or a complete dysfunctional cluster f bomb between the parties.

I think it sucks if one or both parties are not acting in the best interest of NC State Baseball.

Edit: also agree with WW80 comments
Yes
Hart should have left to get head coach experience at a smaller school. Better chance for him to come back as head coach in that situation than to be promoted to it from assistant w/o the experience.

I think that would help him, but I'm scared to death what we would look like w/o his recruiting.
EthanBarry
Staff
Ripper said:

BigLefty24 said:

It happened in 2016 when Ryan Williamson got hurt. We should have beaten Coastal. One more quality arm would have done it.

Same thing last year against KY. We just don't have enough quality arms compared to some top rated schools.

Edit: our 2013 CWS team is the only team I can recall where we had a top flight pitching staff, top to bottom.
I'll argue with anybody we go to Omaha and maybe win it all in 2016 if O'Donnell and Williamson hadn't gotten hurt
Ripper
EthanBarry said:

Ripper said:

BigLefty24 said:

I'll argue with anybody we go to Omaha and maybe win it all in 2016 if O'Donnell and Williamson hadn't gotten hurt

My point is we are close to being a top program. I believe we are one or two extra quality arms per season away from Super Regional or CWS on a consistent basis. All schools have pitching injuries. However, we have to scramble every regional to attempt to make it through. Is it a recruiting issue due to facilities or a perceived lack of pitching coaching? Or do we have the requisite arms and they are not properly prepped during the season to do well in the tourney's? I don't know the answer, but there are a number of schools who still have good pitchers in games 3, 4, and 5 of a regional. Pitching depth is the great equalizer. It masks injuries, questionable coaching decisions, and bad luck.
Frankcal20
Something I've seen in a number of games this CWS - not State games - is a teams non-top starting pitcher come in and kill it. Think it was Dukes guy the other day that they said he typically only goes 80 or so pitches and averaged playing to the 5th inning. He was on fire and they left him out there for over 100 pitches and if I remember correctly, into the 7th. That's one example of several where a player just was able to hone in on the moment and had an amazing game. This is something I've seen several times where a guy has come in and seized the day on the mound and we're not talking about their top guy.

Sure having a loaded roster would likely overcome most of what we've all discussed but I'm not sure how realistic that is. You need some luck where a player(s) just step up and seize the opportunity. We just really didn't have that this CWS outside of Edwards.
metcalfmafia
I hate that this topic is dying down now. I enjoyed all of the additional posters.
DJncsu13
So here's the problem I have with the whole Keep Avent crew. People act like the people who want Avent gone are "Johnny Come Lately's" who have zero knowledge about baseball, the way it's supposed to be played or about the program and how it's run. Now, there are absolutely some of those types who just want to fire someone, but there are plenty that want him gone that know a lot about baseball and the program. Just because they want a change in coaches, doesn't mean they had to "google how to play baseball".
PackFansXL
Perhaps that group should spend time googling how to get established, passionate, and crotchety baseball coaches fired.

j/k
JCooke93
The answer from me right now is Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! Yes !
78wilsonpack
It's time.

New blood
Struttingwolf96
Once again unc is headed to Omaha & the State team is gonna sit home & watch it on tv, but wait Avent will get us there next year.
BigLefty24
Struttingwolf96 said:

Once again unc is headed to Omaha & the State team is gonna sit home & watch it on tv, but wait Avent will get us there next year.

Probably explains why UNC was a top 5 preseason team and we were picked 8th in the ACC.
EthanBarry
Staff
Chapel Hill has no business being in Omaha but it's baseball and that happens sometimes
Struttingwolf96
I'm glad State wasnt ranked high at the beginning of the year then, they probably wouldn't have made the tournament then. Got to learn how to win when you are expected too, not when you can sneak up on teams.
BigLefty24
Struttingwolf96 said:

I'm glad State wasnt ranked high at the beginning of the year then, they probably wouldn't have made the tournament then. Got to learn how to win when you are expected too, not when you can sneak up on teams.
huh?
Struttingwolf96
Just saying, it's a known that when Avent's teams start winning & move up the polls they can not win the big games against quality teams & start coming back to reality. He would rather come in as the underdog than have the expectations to win.
Struttingwolf96
I agree, never want to see unc make it to Omaha. Wish State would get there with a little more regularity.
Rob McLamb
Staff
To those who say there should be a clear timeline for Avent to leave (example: one said let it be known that he leaves at 65 years old in three seasons):

I have background in recruiting both from a journalistic and coaching perspective.

If I was put in a competitive situation where I was vying for a recruit and my competition was a school where the coach would be gone in a few years I would absolutely use that against them in recruiting. I would sell the certainty of my situation juxtaposed to the lack of knowing what the future holds at my adversary's program.

I am telling you I would do it as a NC State alum who has a fairly decent relationship with Avent. Imagine what the person who doesn't know or like NC State/Avent would do. Keep that in mind.

With an AD that is leaving soon, my opinion is going down that path is wrong. If the new AD wants something along those lines, then he or she should probably just make the replacement then for the sake of both recruiting and coming to a consensus with the new coach as to what facility improvements will be made.

Also for the record: Doak is a dump. There is easily 10 better parks in the ACC alone. I would take it over Duke and Pittsburgh certainly. Not many more.

I say that only in the context of facilities in the ACC, not anything else -- such as personnel moves and so on.

Twitter: @RobMcLamb

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.