Poll: Would you like to see a new coach for baseball, yes or no?

34,729 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wolfer79
GrayWolf98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NO. Avent is a good coach who is doing a great job. He has almost 800 wins at NC State. To me, he is a legacy coach and deserves to either lose his way out or retire on his terms. Have some modicum of professionalism and respect.
The artist formerly known as LuvtheHerb - DONT PANIC!
Glasswolf
EthanBarry said:

I think Avent deserves the first chance with better facilities.
That's exactly what the former players told me
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Glasswolf
wilmwolf80 said:

Not at this time, for these reasons:

- Folks say the team collapsed, but had they not performed well above the sum of their parts earlier in the year, there wouldn't have been the possibility for a "collapse". Team made it to #2 in the country with 1.5 starting pitchers. Baseball has a way of evening things out, and it did. Our regional was the toughest in the country, by design. We were the 16th seed, and Auburn very easily could've jumped us to host given their measurables. We shouldn't have lost to Army, but we would've still had to beat Auburn twice, and would've had to face their ace. Despite the disappointment, I'm pleased with the year as a whole. The team was fun to watch, and exceeded my expectations.

- Title drought acknowledged and put aside, there will be significant backlash for firing a coach after winning 40+ games this year, 1,000 carer games, etc. Though not always deserved, we have a reputation of being a difficult fanbase, and the media loves raking us over the coals.

- With an AD in her last year, I think it would make hiring a new coach much more difficult. If we get rid of a coach like Avent, it has to be for an upgrade, and I don't think that will be possible with the pending change and the facility issues.

I would instead like to see the following things happen:

- Foxhall is asked to step down, and elevate Devine to pitching coach.

- I'd like a clear succession plan laid out for after the new AD is hired. Avent agrees to a retirement date, and gets to go out with the dignity he has earned.

- Coinciding with that, there should be a hard plan put in place for facility upgrades. Bring Turner, Rodon, etc. in as faces of a fundraising effort to pay off the existing debt, and raise money for a new park. Allow alums to donate directly to the baseball program, through LTRs or whatever you have to do to make sure the money goes to baseball. New AD will need to be vocal about commitment to baseball. New coach gets a long term deal, acknowledging that a plan and commitment is in place to address facilities, and giving him time to overcome those difficulties.

Devine will be a good one in time but he's not ready

Glasswolf
PackFansXL said:

Glass, are you a former Pack baseball player?
1 yr then team manager the other yrs

lumberpack5
I'm not really a baseball person but I went to the game this weekend. I thought I noticed a consistent delay in making a base running decision coming from third and everyone on first except for one guy seemed to be under redlight from the first base coach until told otherwise. Maybe that is normal in the college game, but it seems to me that would make base running under pressure a living hell.

In the Sunday game against Army, pitches dropped by the catcher did not seem to register at times on the base runners.

I guess my only point is that something didn't seem natural to me, but I'm not a baseball person. Herb's failures I attributed to a weak, non-aggressive attitude that would show up in tough situations. EA is not Herb. It's a tough decision either way.
I like the athletic type
wilmwolf
Actually, we have generally tended to be overly aggressive on the bases. We made a lot of outs on the base paths this year. Hart is particularly aggressive sending guys from third, and sent a runner on the army game who would've been out had the catcher not lost his mitt.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
gopack1979
So we should get Avent new facilities but because he didn't get his way 2 years ago and stalled the whole process for our upgrades by 2-3 extra years he should get even more time? The point I'm making is off the field he is really difficult to deal with. If you're going to be that way you better win championships.
Struttingwolf96
Well with Duke beating Georgia in there nice, own facility I guess the Geoegia fans should be irate. The school gives them a place like that to play in & they lose to lowly Duke, a basketball school. There's no way they should have lost playing at home with that home field advantage. Goes to show you having top notch facilities doesn't equal winning.
Frankcal20
Struttingwolf96 said:

Well with Duke beating Georgia in there nice, own facility I guess the Geoegia fans should be irate. The school gives them a place like that to play in & they lose to lowly Duke, a basketball school. There's no way they should have lost playing at home with that home field advantage. Goes to show you having top notch facilities doesn't equal winning.
Where has Duke been in baseball? They're having a good season and congrats to them but you have to look at a longer sample size than just one season. Either way, even if State gets the best stadium in all sports, a lot of other things have to go right to win championships. Health, coaching, hell - weather, etc. This is an example but it doesn't support your case very well.
BricesCreekWolf
Please imagine Allen Iverson mumbling (repeatedly) the following:
" 21 seasons and zero Championships"

Only State would put up with that level of mediocrity.
We have been great to him for years but its time for a change. DY promised that she would not settle for the status quo when she took the job, and for the most part, she lived up to it. Elliot Avent is the status quo.

CLTWolf
Struttingwolf96 said:

this dude...
CLTWolf
BricesCreekWolf said:

Please imagine Allen Iverson mumbling (repeatedly) the following:
" 21 seasons and zero Championships"

Only State would put up with that level of mediocrity.
We have been great to him for years but its time for a change. DY promised that she would not settle for the status quo when she took the job, and for the most part, she lived up to it. Elliot Avent is the status quo.

Lol
BricesCreekWolf
Want to talk facilities? Then look at swimming and diving. Our facilities there are embarrassingly dreadful, and he has us medaling every year with numerous ACC titles in both men and women's sports.

If there is money budgeted for upgrades, then swimming and diving deserve it next IMHO.
BigLefty24
Frankcal20 said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

Where has Duke been in baseball? They're having a good season and congrats to them but you have to look at a longer sample size than just one season. Either way, even if State gets the best stadium in all sports, a lot of other things have to go right to win championships. Health, coaching, hell - weather, etc. This is an example but it doesn't support your case very well.

Wait, you mean Dukes second NCAA appearance in 57 years doesn't help support his argument? Color me shocked.
Struttingwolf96
Ole Miss goes down too, at home in there minor league like level ballpark that some people at State want & feel will make us better & to that next level. Guess the Ole Miss fans will want to add a few more upgrades to the stadium so they can be more competitive. Remember how some State fans said the pnc arena would get us to the top of the ACC & be a great place to play. How longs it been since its been built & how many ACC titles does the basketball program have, should have never left Reynolds, should have renovated it years ago like its been done now. Keatts has came in & looks like a COACH might be making us relevant again in basketball. Coaching & coaching up all your players gets the job done.
CLTWolf
Struttingwolf96 said:

Ole Miss goes down too, at home in there minor league like level ballpark that some people at State want & feel will make us better & to that next level. Guess the Ole Miss fans will want to add a few more upgrades to the stadium so they can be more competitive. Remember how some State fans said the pnc arena would get us to the top of the ACC & be a great place to play. How longs it been since its been built & how many ACC titles does the basketball program have, should have never left Reynolds, should have renovated it years ago like its been done now. Keatts has came in & looks like a COACH might be making us relevant again in basketball. Coaching & coaching up all your players gets the job done.

He's about to go plaid....
BricesCreekWolf
nice post struttinwolf
basementwolf
Yes.

Don't see how anyone can go to all the games and watch his lineup/pitching changes and in-game decision making and not come away with the idea he is not a very good game coach.
I get he may be a good guy who loves NC State. So was Sid Lowe.

Given his age and professed love of NCSU. I had hoped he would do the right thing and gracefully step aside by retiring or taking position in the AD office. If not and his contract is really up, time to let him ride.
Struttingwolf96
Thanks BricesCreekWolf, its not that I don't like Avent. He has done a lot for the State baseball program & may be not be easy to come in a coach behind, but we need a change, I think it's time & believe we need to take the next step.
Struttingwolf96
I agree.
Trickynic1
HECK NO
pack4life11
Bottom line is this, if you can sit back and watch a full season of State baseball and not question how Avent still has a job, you are not a "baseball" person. You don't understand the game, maybe you played it for a very long time, but you simply don't understand the game.
I invite each of you to look back over the last month of the season and observe our run totals from each game. Then dig deeper to see how many of our runs were produced off of home runs. The man has no idea how to manufacture runs when we aren't hitting bombs.
In this biggest game of the year, our DH was a guy with a .160 average and 1 (I REPEATONE!!!) RBI on the year with only 6 starts to his name.
The man had Carlos Rodon, Trea Turner, Brett Austin, and Logan Ratledge on a team and FAILED TO MAKE THE NCAA TOURNAMENT. I simply do not understand how anyone can see that and sit back and say "yeah, he's a good coach"
I would love to sit down with any and all of you to watch not just a State baseball game, but any baseball game to emphasize the fundamental principles of baseball that Elliot Avent has absolutely zero clue about.
Rounder
Definitely not! Coach Avent has done a tremendous job at NC State. If you had the resume he has, particularly this year, you would be expecting acclamations and a raise, not this kind of dialog. He and the NC State baseball program need your support, not your sniping!
Packsd14me
My vote is yes. His coaching stye was diminished with the restrictions placed on bats. The winning focus today is pitching, speed and defense. Cut down on strike outs, put the ball in play, apply pressure to the other team. In big games we struck out way too much. 37 times in 3 games versus UNC. 14 times in one game versus FSU. No changes are made. Avent believes in offense before all else. The players he recruits fit his style. We perform well against lesser talented teams but struggle against talented pitching staffs. To win championships in baseball it is a must to beat talented pitchers, even if they are better than the one you have on the mound. Avent's style needs Rodon-type pitchers to be successful. The pitching and defense style, our pitcher doesn't have to be better than the other team, just good enough to give us a chance to win. Speaking of recruiting, I believe being in the ACC carries Avent in recruiting, not the other way around. Have any of you seen him at a game watching players he likes? I have. Fox of UNC, Pollard of Duke, Scalf at UNC-W, especially Gary Gimore of Coastal Carolina are much better . Heck, most all of the smaller schools are much more personable. I was disappointed for the players in his demeanor around them and lack of attention paid them as compared to those mentioned above. Gilmore is honest and great with each player. Our program is on the verge of being something very special. This team had the talent to make noise at Omaha. Blame always falls to the coach for losing. It is a way of life as a coach. Players win games, coaches lose them. I love this team. The team deserved a better coach this year. Avent did a poor job. This team was deeper than the Rodon/Turner Omaha team and should have gone further in the tournament. They lost confidence after the UNC series. It's Avent's job to fix that. He never did. He just let them play in the same manner that lost games, changing very little except batting order. The players, doing their best in the manner they were taught, couldn't fix it. It is time for a change. The players deserve better, in my opinion.
wilmwolf
I find it extremely amusing that people are complaining about our free swinging style this season, when the biggest complaint about Avent for most of his career was that he was too reliant on small ball. Plate discipline was not a strong suit of this year's team, but without the ability to hit the ball out of the park, we win fifteen less games, maybe more.
fitz89
Nope.
Go State!
Packsd14me
I have never said that Avent played too much small ball. He recruits bigger, power hitting type guys. Turner was the except rather than the rule. Ratledge was a left fielder playing shortstop and second base. He hit well but the defense suffered. Avent is like Earl Weaver. He plays for a 3 run homer. Joe Dunand is a great example. At most schools, he is a power hitting third baseman. Good hands, great feet, power hitter with limit range.Will Wilson and Jarrett are different than in past years. We were stronger up the middle. Much more like the Clemson's, FSU's, the UVa's and even UNC's that we are trying to beat. We always hit lots of home runs. It is the same thing year after year not just this season. We beat up on teams that have average pitching but can't hit well enough to beat the good pitchers. Look at the stats. As you can see, I am not a big proponent of the American League, "launch angle" style that is played now. Striking out less is the way to win games. Look at the Astros and the Braves as two current examples. Home runs are nice but they very seldom win championships. They just get you on ESPN when the highlights are shown. The ground out to the right side with runner on second and no outs is just as important, and it is needed all the time. Knowing when to run and when not to is important. Showcase baseball is hurting the kids. They learn to play selfishly. It gets them noticed in the way of scholarship money and maybe even drafted but it doesn't teach you how to win. Good coaches do.
CLTWolf
Packsd14me said:

My vote is yes. His coaching stye was diminished with the restrictions placed on bats. The winning focus today is pitching, speed and defense. Cut down on strike outs, put the ball in play, apply pressure to the other team. In big games we struck out way too much. 37 times in 3 games versus UNC. 14 times in one game versus FSU. No changes are made. Avent believes in offense before all else. The players he recruits fit his style. We perform well against lesser talented teams but struggle against talented pitching staffs. To win championships in baseball it is a must to beat talented pitchers, even if they are better than the one you have on the mound. Avent's style needs Rodon-type pitchers to be successful. The pitching and defense style, our pitcher doesn't have to be better than the other team, just good enough to give us a chance to win. Speaking of recruiting, I believe being in the ACC carries Avent in recruiting, not the other way around. Have any of you seen him at a game watching players he likes? I have. Fox of UNC, Pollard of Duke, Scalf at UNC-W, especially Gary Gimore of Coastal Carolina are much better . Heck, most all of the smaller schools are much more personable. I was disappointed for the players in his demeanor around them and lack of attention paid them as compared to those mentioned above. Gilmore is honest and great with each player. Our program is on the verge of being something very special. This team had the talent to make noise at Omaha. Blame always falls to the coach for losing. It is a way of life as a coach. Players win games, coaches lose them. I love this team. The team deserved a better coach this year. Avent did a poor job. This team was deeper than the Rodon/Turner Omaha team and should have gone further in the tournament. They lost confidence after the UNC series. It's Avent's job to fix that. He never did. He just let them play in the same manner that lost games, changing very little except batting order. The players, doing their best in the manner they were taught, couldn't fix it. It is time for a change. The players deserve better, in my opinion.
There is no way on god's green earth this team is deeper than the CWS team. The pitching staff alone from that 2013 team is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay deeper than this year's team.
Carlos Rodon
Ethan Ogburn
Logan Jernigan- hell, we'd kill for a Logan Jeringan on this year's team.
Grant Sasser
Andrew Woeck
John Easley
Ryan Wilkins
Chris Overman
Brad Stone- this team would love to trot out Brad Stone on Sunday's
Travis Orwig
DJ Thomas
Anthony Tzamtzis- he couldn't throw a strike to save his life that year.

If only we had the pitching from 2013. The injuries this team faced on the pitching staff alone made pitching depth a problem this year. Dalton Feeney- gone. Austin Staley- gone. Would we have loved to have a long reliever like Staley back? Johnny Piedmonte- injured most of the year. Michael Bienlien- hurt a good portion of the year. Wouldn't we have loved to have had the Clemson Bienlien all season?

I can't 100% attest to the recruiting side of things. I just know a couple examples of Avent going out of his way for a couple kids but I've also heard how odd he can be as well. My JUCO baseball coach won over a 1000 games and he had zero personality. None. Dude got players and coaches/scouts would send kids his way but he had the social skills of a broom. We all know how Mike Fox at unc treats his players once he gets them. Terribly.

You seem extremely knowledgeable about baseball, maybe you're a coach. Who do you think we'll be able to hire if big Deb were to fire Avent now? Who will come work for a lame duck AD on her wait to retirement (most likely) not knowing who his next boss will be. Not knowing what kind of commitment he/she will have towards the program with regards to facility upgrades, etc. What this potential hire will know is that his predecessor just won 42 games and got fired. What he will know is that his predecessor made the post season 17 out of 22 seasons and got fired. I get it, no championships of any kind but will the guy that gets hired win a championship? Will he have the same type of success we're used to? These are all questions that need to be thought about. If Avent poops the bed next season then hey, move on. I think most people would be ok with that.
CLTWolf
Packsd14me said:

I have never said that Avent played too much small ball. He recruits bigger, power hitting type guys. Turner was the except rather than the rule. Ratledge was a left fielder playing shortstop and second base. He hit well but the defense suffered. Avent is like Earl Weaver. He plays for a 3 run homer. Joe Dunand is a great example. At most schools, he is a power hitting third baseman. Good hands, great feet, power hitter with limit range.Will Wilson and Jarrett are different than in past years. We were stronger up the middle. Much more like the Clemson's, FSU's, the UVa's and even UNC's that we are trying to beat. We always hit lots of home runs. It is the same thing year after year not just this season. We beat up on teams that have average pitching but can't hit well enough to beat the good pitchers. Look at the stats. As you can see, I am not a big proponent of the American League, "launch angle" style that is played now. Striking out less is the way to win games. Look at the Astros and the Braves as two current examples. Home runs are nice but they very seldom win championships. They just get you on ESPN when the highlights are shown. The ground out to the right side with runner on second and no outs is just as important, and it is needed all the time. Knowing when to run and when not to is important. Showcase baseball is hurting the kids. They learn to play selfishly. It gets them noticed in the way of scholarship money and maybe even drafted but it doesn't teach you how to win. Good coaches do.
Logan Ratledge has always been an INF. Pretty sure he played SS in HS.

The knock on Avent, especially before the ball changed had always been he bunted too much and played too much small ball.

BigLefty24
Packsd14me said:

Avent literally got skewered on these same boards for the better part of a decade by fans for playing small ball. Fans hated it, raised holy hell. Now, we're gonna ***** because he's relying on home runs and doesn't bunt enough? It's comical. We've got people saying this team was deeper than the 2003 team??? Comical.

The truth is, this team over-performed for 2/3 of the season. In the end, water hit it's level, and now fans are pissed because we "didn't have a special season".
gopack1979
I don't read anyone wanting bunts... But fundamental baseball ie moving the runner over from second to 3rd and scoring a runner when they're on 3rd with 1 out instead of swinging for the fences, rarely did it seem like players were shortening up their swing to make contact.
wilmwolf
gopack1979 said:

I don't read anyone wanting bunts... But fundamental baseball ie moving the runner over from second to 3rd and scoring a runner when they're on 3rd with 1 out instead of swinging for the fences, rarely did it seem like players were shortening up their swing to make contact.
Determining who was shortening up their swing is subjective at best. The fact is, the guys a the bottom of the order, the "just make contact" guys, stopped making contact the last three weeks of the season. Pitarra, who I think never really recovered from his injury, struck out, grounded out, or lined out in virtually every opportunity he had with runners on the last few weeks. He is the very definition of a contact hitter, and as a senior, is the exact guy you want up in those scenarios, and he didn't come through. JT, who got his average up to .340 at one point on nothing but seeing eye singles and bunts had a woeful end of the year at the plate, hitting nothing but shallow pop ups and dribblers to the short stop. I'm not dogging those guys, but what you attribute to a coaching issue can just as easily be an issue of guys not executing. I can find plenty of fault in our plate approach. I'm not excusing it. Guys like Kinneman rolled over the ball and hit into the shift way too often. We watched too many good pitches hit the mitt, and swung at too many balls in the dirt. We also hit the ball a ton. McClain led the league in hits. We all know the HR numbers. We were at or near the top of most offensive categories in the conference. If you are going to blame the coach for the deficiencies, you have to give him credit for all the things we did well.
CLTWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

gopack1979 said:

Determining who was shortening up their swing is subjective at best. The fact is, the guys a the bottom of the order, the "just make contact" guys, stopped making contact the last three weeks of the season. Pitarra, who I think never really recovered from his injury, struck out, grounded out, or lined out in virtually every opportunity he had with runners on the last few weeks. He is the very definition of a contact hitter, and as a senior, is the exact guy you want up in those scenarios, and he didn't come through. JT, who got his average up to .340 at one point on nothing but seeing eye singles and bunts had a woeful end of the year at the plate, hitting nothing but shallow pop ups and dribblers to the short stop. I'm not dogging those guys, but what you attribute to a coaching issue can just as easily be an issue of guys not executing. I can find plenty of fault in our plate approach. I'm not excusing it. Guys like Kinneman rolled over the ball and hit into the shift way too often. We watched too many good pitches hit the mitt, and swung at too many balls in the dirt. We also hit the ball a ton. McClain led the league in hits. We all know the HR numbers. We were at or near the top of most offensive categories in the conference. If you are going to blame the coach for the deficiencies, you have to give him credit for all the things we did well.
What this dude said.

Evan Edwards was in a huge slump but all of a sudden he has a big NCAA tourney. How did he do it? He stopped trying to pull everything and went opposite field more. Was this on accident? Think the coaches talked to Evan about him stopping trying to yank everything?

Josh McLain led the league in hits but that dude was swinging first pitch every time if it was close and straight. He never walked but hit almost .350.

Sometimes good pitching beats good hitting. No matter how much you try to shorten your swing the pitcher can be really good too.

People are going to find some nit to pick regardless.
JCooke93
Ripper said:

Is Chris Hart a viable replacement for whenever Avent leaves? Is he considered a top level assistant?

Also, I still don't understand how Avent can hold up stadium upgrades if the AD wants them. He says no, I want the current low grade venue, and the AD says ok, we'll leave the place as is. Sounds like missing info on the situation or a complete dysfunctional cluster f bomb between the parties.

I think it sucks if one or both parties are not acting in the best interest of NC State Baseball.

Edit: also agree with WW80 comments
Yes
Packsd14me
CTLWolf,

I agree about injuries hurting the pitching staff. Pitarra's injury hurt, too. Yes, I played long ago and coached young men for many years. Sent players to State (sort of) he signed with the Astros and never made it Raleigh. UNC, UNC-A, UNC-C, UNC-G, and many smaller schools. I saw both DJ and Ethan pitch many times. Great kids.I saw them both play outfield, too. They were college pitchers. That's my point about Avent playing good players out of position. Ratledge made his name at the plate, not at shortstop. I saw him in high school, too. He was not the best defensive shortstop, even in high school. The Pirates moved him to left and DH. My point is we have to play both sides of the ball to win, not just offense. McLain and Wilson are very good hitters. So is Bailey. They have to be taught situational hitting. We have always been lacking in what I call "team play" on offense since Avent has been here. Giving yourself up for the sake of the team.I once saw a 2-1 game in wooden bat summer league for college players where a little second baseman fought off multiple Wake Forest pitcher's inside (to force a ball to the left side) 90 plus mile per hour fast balls with a runner on second until the second baseman forced an inside pitch to the right side resulting 3 hopper between first and second. The second baseman from Catawba made a nice play on the grass in right field and retired him 4-3. The next batter hit a lazy fly to right field scoring the runner. That made the score 2-1 at the time and it held up. After the game, the Braves scout stopped the second baseman (who was sad that he only went 1-3 in the game) and told him he had the most important at bat of the game and congratulated him on "understanding how to win". His face beamed. We don't do those things and haven't much with Avent. We did with Tanner and Esposito. Brent Williams was a very underrated part of the CWS team. Speed at the top and defense in the outfield. McLain was comparable. Both he and Wilson can hit. Bailey is going to be a wealthy catcher barring injury. Edwards has power but is inconsistent. He needs to watch Freeman of the Braves and hit the ball to left more. Kinneman and Deathrage are even worse at trying to pull the ball but they could be very good with a few adjustments. They found a whole in Tatums' swing and exploited it. He needs to adjust and got no help. He just swung harder, which didn't help him. He could be very good. Both Brown and Vasquez can really play defense, too. We were stronger this year than any year in my recent memory in the combination speed, defense and depth in the field and at the plate.Even with the injuries to the pitching staff, we had good arms. The overall depth of this team and Avent's possible choices to play was very good. That is what I was saying. The players need to be taught to win against good teams. I really don't blame any of the players. Rodon was the difference between the two teams. Avent rode him. Avent made poor decisions with pitching in Omaha and Turner's fly ball in the 8th against UCLA, a home run in almost every other park, was caught at Ameritrade and we were done.

I have said enough about recruiting, but I will say I know coaches in NC that don't like dealing with him. They sent boys to State, UNC, Clem, App St and others. I heard many players talk about he "communicated" or lack there of, as compared to other coaches. However, the player I coached didn't have that issue. Of course, he threw 94 with movement, too.

Do I think we could get a better coach? Yes, even with DY leaving. There are young coaches all over that know baseball. State is not a bad situation. All successful coaches think they can win at all levels. Facilities are behind others but not awful. We do need upgrades like covered seating and expanded seating down both lines.They could come promised to the new coach.Take, for example, Pollard at Duke. He came from Appalachain. He gets almost no kids from from NC. Has to recruit up north because of the money. His team is catching ours. They aren't as good as we are but they are close. Conine helps them. His Dad could pay the dollars but still he has to find other good ball players that can afford Duke. He is winning. You can win at State in baseball if you can coach.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.