Poll: Would you like to see a new coach for baseball, yes or no?

34,628 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wolfer79
gopack1979
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, time for change.

Yes- 20ish(we really need a poll option, as this has become very difficult to manage)

No- 6
DJncsu13
Yes.
Wolfpacker1385
No.

Foxhall has to go though.
#GTHC #WPN
Follow me on Twitter @wolfpacker1385
3rdGenPacker
I'll vote yes only because I believe DY won't spend money on the baseball facilities until she has a new coach. And I think this baseball program could be a powerhouse.
wolfpack1437
Yes I would like to see one but don't think you should fire him this year with 40+ wins
ncsualum05
I don't watch a lot of baseball but it seems to me that every year we are picked preseason top 10 or at least top 20 in baseball polls. Then most years we either don't perform to expectations and end up mediocre or we have a year like this year where we are top 5 and looking great and then we flame out. I mean isn't this a pretty disappointing ending to what looked like an amazing campaign? Hasn't Avent basically done the same thing Gott was doing in basketball for 10 years in a row now? I mean it's crazy that he's been at the head for 26 years. No coach in any college sport is around for that long without some major hardware to go with it. Yet Avent has none. I'm not even going to offer an opinion b/c I don't watch enough to know but it seems pretty disappointing overall.
SniderFC
Avent reminds me of Herb. He does just enough to keep his job. How many games did they win in total after the Duke Series?? Getting swept by Carolina in Raleigh is also unacceptable to me.
Struttingwolf96
Yes. Avent is a good coach & quality person, but he has had 21 years to win something & hasn't. He has won 40 games before, its not like it hasn't been done at State before. I have supported him for many years, but its time for a change. Avent can't get over that hump & we need a new coach to bring some enthusiasm back to the program, the baseball program is stagnant.
packman34
Unfortunately yes. I think we all pull as hard for Avent to be successful as any coach we have, not only because we are state fans, but you cannot help but like the guy. He genuinely cares for his players and loves this university as much as any fan here. Very hard decision for DY but if your goal is to win an championship of any kind, not sure that will ever happen with Avent... he's had 22yrs to get one and hasn't. I think if he secretly told DY he was going to retire at age 65 regardless of what happens, I would be ok with him hanging around for another 2 yrs. He will win more than he loses and good shot at post season appearance, so he won't hurt the program anymore by sticking around a few more years, but I think we need give someone new a chance to see what he can do. Sucks because if we do win an ACCT or CWS, I would have loved it to have been with Avent at the helm.
metcalfmafia
Yes. What is the definition of insanity again?

Griffin134
If nothing else, I think we could use some new members to the coaching staff.
Grown A$$ Man
packman34
We gotta upgrade the facilities period. That has to be priority #1. If we don't upgrade, we won't be able to attract a top notch coach if he doesn't feel like he has the facilities he needs to attract top level recruits.
TraCha4
My thoughts as well!
johntom
No. Avent's results are nothing like our basketball results over the past 30 years. We've had one top 4 seed in the tournament in that time. We just essentially lost a 5/4 matchup in the 2nd round. That's a lot different than squeaking into the tournament as a 9-12 seed. Baseball also has a fraction of the resources and support. Endings like this are frustrating, but if you keep hovering around as a top 25 team, you'll break through. Ask Villanova fans if they were frustrated with Jay Wright's tournament results before a few years ago.
Struttingwolf96
Jay Wright has been at Villanova for 16 years & has 2 National Titles, Avent has been here at 22 years now, six more than Wright & doesn't even have regular season or ACC tourney title. Can't compare the two, sorry.
metcalfmafia
Facilities are absolutely an excuse. Not being able to break through for at least a regular season or tournament title in 20+ years is due to lacking ability as a baseball coach.
BigLefty24
johntom said:

No. Avent's results are nothing like our basketball results over the past 30 years. We've had one top 4 seed in the tournament in that time. We just essentially lost a 5/4 matchup in the 2nd round. That's a lot different than squeaking into the tournament as a 9-12 seed. Baseball also has a fraction of the resources and support. Endings like this are frustrating, but if you keep hovering around as a top 25 team, you'll break through. Ask Villanova fans if they were frustrated with Jay Wright's tournament results before a few years ago.

Agreed. Team was picked to finish 4th in their division, 8th in the ACC. Lost your best pitcher for essentially the entire second half of the season, had one serviceable starter, and yest still spent a vast majority of the season ranked in the top 5-10, with several weeks at #2.

Because of scholarship limits, the division between the halves and have nots in college baseball is extremely thin. It's why you can lose to teams like Campbell if you don't bring your A game every game. It's how teams like Stetson and Coastal Carolina gets national seeds. Throw in the facility equation, and what Avent did this year is really commendable. Winning in baseball isn't easy. Winning conference championships is even harder. Clemson won two ACC championships in the last 25 years and Jack Leggett is in the Hall of Fame. They had the best team in the ACC and just got their ass kicked 19-6 by Vanderbilt to end their season. I swear some of our fans are just determined to fire a coach every year.
Pocketflask
metcalfmafia said:

To me insanity would be firing a coach who won 40 games and earned a regional. This is a non rev sport. The last thing we need to be doing is firing an above average coach who regularly puts us in the post season.
metcalfmafia
Pocketflask said:

metcalfmafia said:

To me insanity would be firing a coach who won 40 games and earned a regional. This is a non rev sport. The last thing we need to be doing is firing an above average coach who regularly puts us in the post season.
Good points.
DJncsu13
Pocketflask said:

metcalfmafia said:

Baseball is a big 3 sport. The support around baseball is far greater than the other non-revenue sports. Avent has had 22 years with ZERO Championships. 1 CWS appearance and 4 Super Regional appearances. At what point is "well at least we made it again!" going to stop being enough? Does State need to improve the facilities? Absolutely, 100% yes. Has Avent hit his ceiling? IMO, yes.

If it's not Avent, then Foxhall needs to go, and our hitting approach needs to change drastically.
HighlandsWolf
Trust DY...The correct decision will be made. Of course I would like for us to go to the CWS more often but I don't know enough to give an opinion.
BigLefty24
Pocketflask said:

metcalfmafia said:

Debbie: "Hi,my name is Debbie Yow, and I'm calling to see if you would be interested in the head baseball coaching position at NC State"

Prospective Coach: "Hi Debbie. We're you guys ranked in the top 10 all year, and just hosted another regional?"

Debbie: "Why yes, we did!"

Prospective Coach: Click.
CLTWolf
BigLefty24 said:

Pocketflask said:

metcalfmafia said:

Debbie: "Hi,my name is Debbie Yow, and I'm calling to see if you would be interested in the head baseball coaching position at NC State"

Prospective Coach: "Hi Debbie. We're you guys ranked in the top 10 all year, and just hosted another regional?"

yep. Bless her heart if she can keep them on the phone long enough for them to ask about facilities...

metcalfmafia
CLTWolf said:

BigLefty24 said:

Pocketflask said:

metcalfmafia said:

yep. Bless her heart if she can keep them on the phone long enough for them to ask about facilities...

CLT...my man. Do you honestly believe that the reason Avent has not won a championship is because of our facilities?
CLTWolf
DJncsu13 said:

Pocketflask said:

metcalfmafia said:

Baseball is a big 3 sport. The support around baseball is far greater than the other non-revenue sports. Avent has had 22 years with ZERO Championships. 1 CWS appearance and 4 Super Regional appearances. At what point is "well at least we made it again!" going to stop being enough? Does State need to improve the facilities? Absolutely, 100% yes. Has Avent hit his ceiling? IMO, yes.

If it's not Avent, then Foxhall needs to go, and our hitting approach needs to change drastically.
Say what now? You're questioning our hitting approach? Wow, ok...

What Foxhall did w/ the pitching staff this year was borderline amazing. I'm not a huge Foxhall fan but he coached out of his mind this year.
PackFansXL
Quote:

I swear some of our fans are just determined to fire a coach every year.

That thirst for blood should have been assuaged by the replacement of our softball coach.

The amazing start to our season got us all a little too excited about making another trip to Omaha. We were performing at an unprecedented level until our hitting cooled. Once we struggled, we lost confidence and looked very average. After that, the Avent haters applied pressure and now we have the postseason pity party. The sad thing is we make it that much more difficult for the coaches and players to break through because of these lynch mobs. When will we learn?
Struttingwolf96
Absolutely agree. I think if & when Yow does make that phone call & explains how we would just like to win ONE championship of any kind in the next twenty years, make a few regionals, maybe a super here & there, & just maintain being an average team. A coach will probably jump at that in a heart beat. To coach for a college for 20 years where the fans are happy to win 40 games every once in a while, never expect to win a title regular season or tourney, & get a trip to Omaha every other decade. Sign me up, when's the interview, I want to coach at a school like that or if not me I'll get one of my buddy's to.
BigLefty24
Struttingwolf96 said:

Absolutely agree. I think if & when Yow does make that phone call & explains how we would just like to win ONE championship of any kind in the next twenty years, make a few regionals, maybe a super here & there, & just maintain being an average team. A coach will probably jump at that in a heart beat. To coach for a college for 20 years where the fans are happy to win 40 games every once in a while, never expect to win a title regular season or tourney, & get a trip to Omaha every other decade. Sign me up, when's the interview, I want to coach at a school like that or if not me I'll get one of my buddy's to.
I've read your posts for the last week...you didn't pass the pre-interview screening.
CLTWolf
metcalfmafia said:

CLTWolf said:

BigLefty24 said:

Pocketflask said:

metcalfmafia said:

CLT...my man. Do you honestly believe that the reason Avent has not won a championship is because of our facilities?
Not at all and never said as much. I don't want to fire the guy after the season we had because you'll NEVER hire anyone better b/c A) We won't pay appropriately B) We don't have the facilities to attract those guys. C) No coach worth a **** will leave their job to take over for a coach that just got fired winning 42 games with a top 10 team.

I do know for a fact that there are kids that committed elsewhere b/c they thought our facilities were garbage. When Wake, ECU, VaTech, etc have better facilities than we do....that's a problem.

We don't have anyone better waiting in the wings to take over. We aren't going to out pay TCU and Vandy for their coaches (all guys that would probably leave their current situations for the right opportunity) and the top assistants are just sitting and waiting for the perfect gig to fall into their laps. Do we want a retread that will get us the same results or likely worse?

Pack87
I would let a new AD make a plan for baseball, including facilities and how that can be used to recruit Avent's eventual replacement. I am fine with him remaining in place for the 2-3 years necessary for that to take place. He does a solid job and is a good representative of NC State. I am not a fan of bouncing a 20+ year guy without giving him a chance to exit more on his on terms. But if I was a new AD coming in I would be clear with Avent about my plans and he could make his plans accordingly.
EthanBarry
Staff
I think Avent deserves the first chance with better facilities.
EthanBarry
Staff
Exactly. What coach is upgrading by coming here? Not as many as we'd like to think because of.... the facilities
Struttingwolf96
What is it exactly that makes you want to keep having a coach who has been here for 20 years & hasn't won ANYTHING except for that elite ncaa COY? It has been 20 years, the school & fans have been more than loyal & backed him time after time. Avent is a good man & representative of State, but it looks like he has peaked & cant win a BIG game. If we do upgrade the facilities how is that gonna help him win an ACC tourney, I don't think it's in Raleigh? What's the excuse gonna be then. I'm tired of it being ok with being average, some State fans have come complacent with the baseball program. Other schools have solid baseball programs just like State. You never answered the question, what other school would put up with a coach who hasnt won anything for 20 years? With the players he has had & chances too Avent & his team's have choked them away. Why not make a move & bring in someone new, with a fresh perspective & give them 20 years to win something? So, again why is it so important to you not to let Avent go?
Pakbackr
What Avent has accomplished at NC State is quite amazing to me given that we have baseball facilities near the bottom of the ACC. I am only in favor of making a coaching change, if for some crazy reason, that is the only way we can upgrade/replace Doak. I've heard that rumor from many, and it makes no sense...but, hey, what do I know.
Ripper
As long as Coach Avent is putting out a good NCAA tourney product, I wouldn't terminate him. But, I would set in motion his retirement at age 65 (3 more seasons). That would be 25 years at the helm and age 65.

Since I believe stadium upgrades are doable, whether Doak upgrades or a new stadium, we will have no trouble attracting qualified coaches. The only issue is salary. If we are cheap, then we will not land experienced high quality. But, talented younger up-and-comers will certainly want to coach at State.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.