2024 #Pack9

31,301 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by DanielWilsonIPS
Borowolf10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
kmb717 said:

Very nice breakdown. Thank you.
JCooke93
He is kinda wrong on some stuff but we will see
pantherpack
JCooke93 said:

Can you expand on what you think he is wrong about? The more baseball data people share the better!
pack2010
pantherpack said:

JCooke93 said:

Can you expand on what you think he is wrong about? The more baseball data people share the better!

the biggest thing, IMO, is I am not sure Van Dam is in our weekend rotation out the gate. It seems like it is trending to Fritton, Willadsen, Highfill. The lineup is pretty set at most spots with the questions being who plays 2nd (Nixon or Heavner), and who is the last OF/DH between Hogue, Nixon, Sosa. Hogue seems to have some positive buzz.
JCooke93
Yup
pantherpack
Thanks. Good to see we at least have a new "potential " starter in Van Dam, whether or not that happens. We at least should have an additional quality arm we can use. The pitching staff seems much deeper this year. Hopefully we see some of this potential get some opportunities.
JCooke93
I am so ready
SportManagementEngineer
Is this the deepest pitching staff we've had in years?
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Alex Gee
Staff
SportManagementEngineer said:

Definitely has the potential to be. What could separate this group is 2-4 guys stepping up out of the bullpen and the freshman arms being the real deal early. Easily the most depth of talent since 2013?
pack2010

Definitely possible. I think, on paper, you could make a case for 15ish kids that could get innings.
CLTWolf
Alex Gee said:

Definitely has the potential to be. What could separate this group is 2-4 guys stepping up out of the bullpen and the freshman arms being the real deal early. Easily the most depth of talent since 2013?
Definitely the most depth since 2013 with this year being deeper most likely (not sure the pen is as good tho). 2013 had a dearth of starters, IMO, Ogburn was more a Sunday guy than a Saturday guy. Jernigan couldn't throw strikes well enough to take advantage of his stuff and Stone was a FR that looked like it at times. If that team had a Willadsen on it, it wins a natty. The bullpen in '13 was nasty with dudes like Andrew Woeck, Ryan Wilkins, Chris Overman, Grant Sasser, John Easley and situational guys like Orwig and DJ Thomas.

I'm excited to see how we use Whitaker this year. He could fill several roles on this team, IMO.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
WilsonWolf
CLTWolf said:

Alex Gee said:

Definitely the most depth since 2013 with this year being deeper most likely (not sure the pen is as good tho). 2013 had a dearth of starters, IMO, Ogburn was more a Sunday guy than a Saturday guy. Jernigan couldn't throw strikes well enough to take advantage of his stuff and Stone was a FR that looked like it at times. If that team had a Willadsen on it, it wins a natty. The bullpen in '13 was nasty with dudes like Andrew Woeck, Ryan Wilkins, Chris Overman, Grant Sasser, John Easley and situational guys like Orwig and DJ Thomas.

I'm excited to see how we use Whitaker this year. He could fill several roles on this team, IMO.

2013 was one of my favorite pack teams of all time. Probably biased since I was a senior that year and DJ Thomas is one of my good friends to this day. But that was a fun team to be around.
JCooke93
Good Times
rmcwpups
Are they practicing yet?
metcalfmafia
rmcwpups said:

Are they practicing yet?
First day of practice today.
JCooke93
First official day of NC State Baseball practice
StateFan2001
pack2010 said:

pantherpack said:

JCooke93 said:

the biggest thing, IMO, is I am not sure Van Dam is in our weekend rotation out the gate. It seems like it is trending to Fritton, Willadsen, Highfill. The lineup is pretty set at most spots with the questions being who plays 2nd (Nixon or Heavner), and who is the last OF/DH between Hogue, Nixon, Sosa. Hogue seems to have some positive buzz.

I would be really surprised if Nixon isn't starting at 2B. I think that is pretty settled at this point.
Wolfer79
JCooke93
Agree
JCooke93
I am so ready
pack2010
StateFan2001 said:

pack2010 said:

pantherpack said:

JCooke93 said:

I would be really surprised if Nixon isn't starting at 2B. I think that is pretty settled at this point.

yup, i agree. someone on this site said in the fall it was between falsken and heavner though, and nixon was mostly a SS, so i figured i would leave a little wiggle room. kid is really good
JCooke93
Good Day at The Doak today
pack2010
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-college-top-25-preview-no-22-nc-state/

Baseball America also predicts Van Dam to the Sunday role with Whitaker and Highfill out of the pen
JCooke93
I like it
StateFan2001
pack2010 said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-college-top-25-preview-no-22-nc-state/

Baseball America also predicts Van Dam to the Sunday role with Whitaker and Highfill out of the pen

I didn't like Sam out of the pen last year. I think Sam has starter stuff more than bullpen stuff. Hopefully he stays in the rotation as long as he is throwing the ball well enough. Have heard he is throwing the ball better.
pack2010
StateFan2001 said:

pack2010 said:

I didn't like Sam out of the pen last year. I think Sam has starter stuff more than bullpen stuff. Hopefully he stays in the rotation as long as he is throwing the ball well enough. Have heard he is throwing the ball better.

I agree. I think Van Dam at the backend of the bullpen could be dominant with his stuff. That said, I think Van Dam is a weekend arm next year too, so maybe they want to see how his stuff holds for 70+ pitches.
pack2010
Shaffner back on the mound after not pitching this fall due to injury (and playing some OF). Another talented arm to throw into the mix.
JCooke93
He robbed G.Pennington33 of a HR in CF last Sunday
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

He robbed G.Pennington33 of a HR in CF last Sunday

sounds like he has getting a legit chance at being a 2 way kid, nice.

anyone standing out so far?
Alex Gee
Staff

Wasn't there conversation last season about Cozart's defense?
Wolfer79
wilmwolf
Alex Gee said:

Not by anyone who knows what they are talking about, lol
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
CLTWolf
Alex Gee said:

To be fair, I believe it was one poster who was all up in his feels that Peebles was leaving and had a bit of a temper tantrum about Cozart staying instead of us keeping Peebles.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
JCooke93
Pretty good scrimmage today
rbaker
JC can you give any highlights?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.