Dedicated Tommy White Thread (Transfers to LSU)

48,471 Views | 352 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCooke93
Cotten
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wolfpack91 said:

I would suspect tampering in play with whichever school Tommy winds up at.

Understand he wishes to get paid over next two seasons & in NIL era makes sense.

If he goes to another ACC school then ACC Commissioner should address this with some structure.
Would it be tampering if he ( or his agent ) initiated contact with another school?

College sports staffs will quickly need a GM role for each sport. No way in hell coaches can add the increasing NIL / portal drama to their current workload.
wolf01
PackFansXL said:

Mr. O said:

Bas2020 said:

James Henderson said:

Nairo said:

Can't regulate pay but you can regulate transferring and tampering. I think the solution is that scholarships need to be binding contracts among both parties (not renewable year to year but guaranteed for five years) and non compete agreements written into the agreement. If a kid wants to transfer they either have to sit a year or pay back the full value of the grant to the school to get released from their contract. They can negotiate severance if the coach leaves and they want out of the contract. Just like in the business world.

Wolfpacklife said:

I've followed college sports my whole life and always said it was the best because these kids have motivation to play for the next level etc... now we just have minor leagues in every sport.

These kids deserved money for NIL.. but this crap is already old. No way it should have ever been let go without some regulations on total pay.

IMO, you now put back in the 1-year sit rules. Pairing it with NIL has been the culprit.

OR you incentivize academics. Free to transfers- grads or players with 60+ hours and GPA above a certain threshold.

I dont have the answers but they need a situation where at most kids are playing at 2 schools over the course of their careers.... not 4 or 5.

You have to limit the transfers so way, some how.

Seems simple but the NCAA would lose in court if challenged.
Precisely. That was Saban's argument in the talk he gave to Bama supporters that became the Saban/Fisher fight. Saban said the Feds will have to pass a law to level the playing field because the NCAA would lose in any court cases if they tried to enforce a standard.
In some respects NIL is already leveling the playing field. Previously, you had programs that could cheat and get away with it and programs that couldn't squash a bug without penalty. We fell in the latter group. It's a much simpler formula for competing with the big boys or at least being good depending on the sport.
BP Cox
Staff
Bo Gentry
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
packwest
Can James tell us the rest of the story now?
BP Cox
Staff
packwest said:

I can already tell you there are some things that folks will not be able to share.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
Wolfpacklife
BP Cox said:

packwest said:

I can already tell you there are some things that folks will not be able to share.

Lord that's ominous. Did he kill a dog or something?
WolfQuacker
Wolfpacklife said:

BP Cox said:

packwest said:

If he did something to Ripken I'm going to FL and kick his ass myself.
BP Cox
Staff
Wolfpacklife said:

BP Cox said:

packwest said:

Not getting into specifics but the clubhouse might be a little better off without him.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
Wolfpacklife
BP Cox said:

Wolfpacklife said:

BP Cox said:

packwest said:

Not getting into specifics but the clubhouse might be a little better off without him.

Understood. We'll that's definitely a positive then.
FourOaksWolf
ecbwolf said:

I would either earhole him every at bat or intentional walk him. I would never give him 1 chance to beat us! I prefer the earhole!

And, NC State baseball social media should not have any mentions of him when doing season review videos.

I wish the crowd would go silent every time the Prima Donna came to bat. Ignore him.
Lsnoel3
BP Cox said:

Wolfpacklife said:

BP Cox said:

packwest said:

DH him to keep him from hurting his himself again was the right call IMHO. It was best for team. If he is not a team guy then that could be a problem. I know nothing but him not playing the field was the right call by staff.
SportManagementEngineer
BP Cox said:

Wolfpacklife said:

BP Cox said:

packwest said:

If this is the case (and who knows what to believe because we're playing the age old "I know what happened because someone told me but I can't tell anyone else" game), then why were we spoonfed how great a teammate he was all season? Sharing his NIL rewards, etc.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Atchase89
That explains the Bo Gentry comment. If that is the case, then so be it. It's gonna suck to lose his bat but if you can add a good defensive corner infielder with a Groover type bat then Tommy White won't be missed.
BP Cox
Staff
Glad someone picked up on that.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
Borowolf10
We really need to beat the brakes off of FSU in football this year. Just try to embarrass them.
rwwalsh
Guess he was the PTBNL in the Durden/Fagan trade.
TraCha4
Wow- this is juicy. I definitely want ALL the details now! Let us in.
pblanks
I am sorry but who is Bo Gentry?
Atchase89
I mean it really makes a lot of sense when you think about it. How many 18yr old kids can be turned into an instant celebrity after 3 games and handle the game and fortune? Humbleness is what makes the greats in this game so great. There is plenty of ultra talented players in college baseball, but being able to perform at that level without the big ego is what separates the men from the boys.
wolf01
pblanks said:

I believe he is a character from a Kevin Costner movie.

Nope, that's Bo Callahan. IDK then

Trouble with the curve!!!
BP Cox
Staff
pblanks said:

Character in the Clint Eastwood movie "Trouble With The Curve". Top baseball prospect out of high school. Was a me first player type who hit a lot of homers.

IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
Atchase89
A character in the movie Trouble with the Curve. High school kid that could absolutely rake and had all the tools but had a terrible attitude
flylike44
BP Cox said:

Wolfpacklife said:

BP Cox said:

packwest said:

That screams "banged another dude's gf/wife".
stuartmcarthur5
redsteel33
SportManagementEngineer said:

BP Cox said:

Wolfpacklife said:

BP Cox said:

packwest said:

If this is the case (and who knows what to believe because we're playing the age old "I know what happened because someone told me but I can't tell anyone else" game), then why were we spoonfed how great a teammate he was all season? Sharing his NIL rewards, etc.
packwest
BP Cox said:

packwest said:

Quoting my toddler:

"Why?"
redsteel33
Atchase89 said:

A character in the movie Trouble with the Curve. High school kid that could absolutely rake and had all the tools but had a terrible attitude
I have never heard of this movie....thanks for clarification.
M_A
BP Cox said:

GopherPack said:

This is a crock of ***** NC is a no report state, so the athletes don't have to report anything to the school. These numbers are WAY off. We are much higher. Just an example of lazy journalism.
Sorry, little grumpy this morning
I still repeated the numbers on twitter to get people's attention.

So many in our fanbase are quick to point out what we do not have or need however they are the ones that are not contributing. We all know someone like this.

It's time everyone changes that. They can definitely follow your lead Gopher...you've put yourself out there and are a great example for folks. And not everyone has to own their own company or be a Goodnight. If they are not giving anything currently start small. Give $5 or $10 a month. It's that simple.
What is the point? We're constantly told it's never enough. Ultimately it doesnt matter if us small fries give 5 or 10 or 25 or 100 a month, hell it doesnt matter if the heavy hitters are giving $100k a year. The only thing that matters is if you have T. Boone Pickens or that Miami healthcare scam guy who can bankroll an entire athletic department. If you have 1 of those guys theyre worth more than a hundred thousand of us

People are welcome to be upset about how White is leaving. But look at it objectively - our guys are stating here that we dont have the money even FSU (a school who is crying poor about football NIL themselves) has. He just watched us get screwed over by the NCAA - whats the guarantee that doesnt happen again next year? I'm sure he's as aware or more of his MLB stock as we are - this might be the peak of his career, dude needs to get paid now, he needs to have every opportunity to set records and he needs to play in the field to improve his stock. That's one reason he came here in the first place. His leverage is way higher on the open market in those regards
"It's ACC Championship or bust, quite honestly"
Mahaya
Gravis said:

There are plenty of great student athletes here with character that play for the name on the front of their jersey.

They deserve our support.

Don't let a couple of selfish ones ruin it for everyone.

The idiots at the NCAA are what have ruined it. If they don't find a way to clean this mess up fast support will undoubtedly wane.
BP Cox
Staff
redsteel33 said:

Atchase89 said:

I have never heard of this movie....thanks for clarification.

You can definitely use it as a movie your significant other would watch with Amy Adams and Justin Timberlake in it.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
Bell Tower Grey
TraCha4 said:

Wow- this is juicy. I definitely want ALL the details now! Let us in.
Why? It's not going to change anything. Besides, it's none of our business.

And, with all due respect, your comment sounds like some busybody woman with nothing better to do.
M_A
FlossyDFlynt said:

Its not just the selfish players. Its selfish administrators, coaches, conferences, etc. Just look at what the SEC did with Texas/Oklahoma last summer. College football is going to be unrecognizable compared to today in 10 years.

Like I said, I will finish out this years pledge and see what the landscape looks like come January. The current trajectory of college sports in general just looks terrible
More than anything it's the journalists. They cheered and spurred this on because they dont actually care about the teams or even the sport itself. They just wanted a cause and a story to write about. It'll all work out because "they always find the money"

Cool, let's see what happens to their jobs when "they" (meaning us) dont
"It's ACC Championship or bust, quite honestly"
Airwolfcat
Whatever the reason I just want all the bad karma gone asap! All at once is fine with me if it means we get the walk offs, last minute TDs, 3/4 court field goals to happen for us regularly! Seems we have been paying it off for a while…

I'm hoping the cross country and tennis national championships are the omen that the good stuff will come soon in the "major" sports too!
DecaturWolf
IMG Academy.
Posted for years as ColoradoWolf and Rick from Littleton. On Twitter as @espwapoujacmel
ClePack
CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

Wolfpack said:

ClePack said:

I don't think you can understate how big of a loss this is to the team. Can't lost a guy like this, you just can't.
All momentum dies if tommy leaves. Next year's team trajectory changes big time without him.

Meh. The truth is between this and it doesn't matter at all. Go check Avent's record season by season since the big 2013 break through. Dude knows how to win games and will with or without White
Tommy white was a huge reason we won games this year. Without him, this team likely finishes bottom third of the ACC. Next year will not be fun.
We somehow managed to make the conference championship game AND College World Series last year without him...We've somehow managed to be one of the best baseball programs in the ACC for many years without him...we'll continue to do so, without him.

Stop this whining and crying BS.

Chris Hart is an elite level recruiter. Bo Robinson is an elite teacher of how to hit the ball. We'll get kids that can play. Clint Chrysler has shown now for 2 years straight how good of a pitching coach he is as well.
I believe you on Chris. I believe you on Bo. I don't believe you on Clint. But, I don't want to make this an argument about coaching on the tommy thread. I don't think next year's team will be better than this year's but I hope I am proven wrong.
What don't you believe on Clint?! Look at what he's done with all the injuries we've encountered. So yeah, you should believe me on Clint.
Our pitchers were awesome second half of last year, but aside from that time period, they were pretty bad for the first half of last year and majority of this year, not to mention years past. Pitching has always been a weakness of Avent teams.
ok buddy.
Like I said, i'm not trying to argue about this on the TW board.
Good thing since you don't have much of an argument. But yeah, cool.
(I had more than you did, as evidenced by the "ok, buddy" response. Always the hallmark of a losing argument.)
Oh, so now you want to dig into it? I thought you didn't? By the way, welcome to the baseball board since you've never bothered to post during the season. Something bad happens, you come running. Much like the basketball thread.
But ok, let's do this...we lose two arms to legal issues last year (Klyman and Harrison), Canaan Silver is injured most of the season (that's 3 pen lefties, btw). Baker Nelson is out all but 3 appearances, Austin Pace, Cam Cotter and Logan Bender all injured and all Clint Chrysler did was managed essentially 5 healthy arms to the college world series (and an ACC champ game appearance where all the pitching staff did was keep us in it by giving up 1 run).

We lose our All American pitcher and team leader in April. Logan Whitaker comes back from 3 years of arm trouble to be our Friday starter and only gave up more than 3 runs in a start once until the ACC tourney where he hit a wall at the end of the season. Canaan Silver comes out of his role in the pen to be our Sunday starter where he was damn good. Only gave up more than 3 earned runs twice. Lose an AA starter and we still end up in the ACC champ game b/c of the way he managed the arms.

But sure, Chrysler sucks.

Yeah, I already addressed the first half of your paragraph in my initial point about Chrysler.

Moving on - nothing you mentioned was impressive. We made the acc title game? Cool, we made that game because our offense beat the crap out of everyone we ran into, until we faced a real pitcher from UNC. We got swept by wake for the first time ever this year. Ever. Largely due to how bad our bullpen was (villaman took a pretty big step back this year.) Silver, Whitaker, and half of the players you mentioned would never start on a regional team, let alone a cws team. I'll give you highfill being hurt, but he didn't look good to start the year anyway.

Again - pitching has never been a strength with Chrysler as the coach here. Never. We rely on our offense to win almost every game, aside from our run to the cws last year, which I'll give you. My question is why did almost all of our guys take such a giant step back this year? Highfill, williadson, and villaman. Where's miralia? Why haven't we developed literally anyone else?

I'm not a fan of Chrysler. I don't think we'll accomplish much with him at the helm. If you're ok with missing regionals, hell, go ahead and keep him. Pitching kept us out of regionals this year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.