Atlanta Braves 2022 Season

18,689 Views | 226 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The #Braves today acquired INF Ehire Adrianza from the Washington Nationals in exchange for OF Trey Harris. The club also designated INF Robinson Can for assignment.
Wolfer79
Civilized said:

Riley is absolutely mashing right now. He's seeing beach balls up there.

Austin Riley in July:

- 2.6 fWAR, most in MLB
- 267 wRC+, highest among qualified batters
- .885 SLG, highest among qualified batters
- 1.344 OPS, highest among qualified batters
- 26 XBH, most in MLB

Civilized
Decent month
Wolfer79
The Atlanta #Braves today signed 3B Austin Riley to a 10-year contract worth $212 million: https://t.co/TdPVtpYnL5
Wolfer79
The Atlanta Braves have control over all of these players through the 2027 season (5 more seasons):

Ronald Acuña Jr.
Ozzie Albies
Matt Olson
Austin Riley
Spencer Strider
William Contreras
Kyle Wright
Ian Anderson
Michael Harris

Wolfer79
JCooke93
Keep seeing Phil and Carlos talk
metcalfmafia
JCooke93 said:

Keep seeing Phil and Carlos talk
Yep. Hope it doesn't happen.

See Braves are interested in Thor.
Wolfer79
Braves getting Raisel Iglesias from Angels for Tucker Davidson and Jesse Chavez, source tells @TheAthletic. Braves taking remainder of Iglesias' contract. First: @ByRobertMurray.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
#Braves at #Mets (gm 2 DH)
Major League Baseball
7:10 pm ET
ESPN Radio

@SeanKelleyLive (pbp) & @dougglanville (analyst) on the national radio call #MLB
Wolfer79
#Braves at #RedSox
Major League Baseball
7:10 pm ET
TBS

@BAndersonPxP (pbp), Ron Darling (analyst), @JeffFrancoeur (analyst) & @ALaForce (reporter) #MLB
braz213
Heck of a slide

Civilized
Textbook.

His athleticism and attitude is so huge.
BollNCSU
What a game last night!!! This is the Acuna we need!
Wolfer79
The Braves sure do love their top prospects.

For the second time this season, a member of the Braves organization has skipped Triple A en route to the majors.

First, it was Michael Harris II.

Now it's Vaughn Grissom.

More from @DOBrienATL: https://t.co/3bKtLcsXwo
Wolfer79
Packsd14me
Wolfer79 said:

He has lots of potential....can you say left fielder when Albies returns. Just the infusion of energy the Braves need for a stretch run.
Civilized
We'll see if his hitting holds up after teams have tape on his swing, the way that Harris' has.

I mean, what are the chances we'd have two AA callups in the same year that both crush it at the major league level??

ETA: that bat flip made it obvious Grissom was watching Jose Bautista highlight videos on the plane after the callup.
Packsd14me
Civilized said:

We'll see if his hitting holds up after teams have tape on his swing, the way that Harris' has.

I mean, what are the chances we'd have two AA callups in the same year that both crush it at the major league level??

ETA: that bat flip made it obvious Grissom was watching Jose Bautista highlight videos on the plane after the callup.
I agree.....but he hit two breaking pitches last night, one out of the stadium. The Red Sox could see he could handle the fast ball. They challenged him early but he put the ball in play. Then, they went breaking pitches, although one was from a lefty. His last at bat was more impressive than the homer. They got him reaching early in the at bat and he learned and adjusted within the at bat. He appears to be a natural to me. He did chase the curve early but late in the at bat, had made the pitcher threw one for a strike, he lined it to left field. Then he stole second and scored easily on Dansby's hit. Speed, power, natural athlete.....a really good combination. I am sure he will struggle some with better pitching. But OJT is better than in AAA. His salary is much cheaper than Osuna. frees up dollars for Dansby and Freed. Grissom looked really good last night. I think teaming him with Harris and Strider helps a lot. I agree with all you said but he shows tons of promise....fingers crossed.
Wolfer79
There's no love lost between Ronald Acuña Jr. and the Marlins. In fact, he's been hit seven times in 280 plate appearances against them, more than any other NL East rival.

His career numbers vs Miami: 21 HRs, 53 RBIs and an 1.100 OPS in 63 games

@Braves | #ForTheA https://t.co/shqerQKrYi
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
BollNCSU
1-13 last night. 8 runs scored in the 6th inning with 2 outs!!! I wonder if that is some sort of record for runs scored with 2 outs in an inning. It was a really fun game - I hope that saved some runs for the rest of the series. Grissom has brought great energy and Acuna is back - he had 2 doubles in the 6th.
packgrad
BollNCSU said:

1-13 last night. 8 runs scored in the 6th inning with 2 outs!!! I wonder if that is some sort of record for runs scored with 2 outs in an inning. It was a really fun game - I hope that saved some runs for the rest of the series. Grissom has brought great energy and Acuna is back - he had 2 doubles in the 6th.

Last night was awesome. Good to have a relaxing one. Grissom has been a great spark plug. Have to figure out how to keep him involved when Albies returns.
Civilized
We were due for some offense against the Mets. Damn nice to see that explosion.

Grissom has been really impressive so far. He's instinctive and athletic and could probably play some left.

Relatedly, will be so curious to see what we end up doing with Ozuna's contract. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him released like the Cubs just did with J-Hey. Eating a bunch of money that way but he's been really bad at the plate this year and was already a below-average fielder. Coupled with his off-the-field stuff I could see them making a decision to just part ways.

But regardless of how they try to find Grissom time this year, left isn't his long-term position.

Grissom's emergence does also give the Braves more leverage in the Dansby negotiations than they had before. Again, shortstop isn't his top position either but he can likely play it adequately enough to be a very legitimate alternative to Dansby, just in case.

Lots of interesting end of season/off-season contract situations for sure.
metcalfmafia
Huge win last night. Man these rookies are something else.

Meanwhile...Ozuna arrested for DUI. Dump this guy please.
packgrad
metcalfmafia said:

Jeez... he can't get out of his own way.

Great win last night. The rookies are huge right now. Hope they can keep it going.
Wolfer79
#Braves outfielder Marcell Ozuna was arrested for DUI and booked into Gwinnett County Jail after 4 a.m. Friday. This is less than 15 months after his arrest on domestic-violence charges, and 11 months after he entered a diversion program and was placed on 6 months probation.

Packsd14me
metcalfmafia said:

Ozuna may be participating in the dollars for Dansby and Fried sweepstakes. He makes about $18 million, right? Keeping Grissom in Ozuna spot seems to be a no brainer. Lots of dollars to give to Dansby and Fried and keep a great corp of young players around for a long time. Just teach Grissom to play LF. Lots of talent signed for multiple seasons. AA will just need to sign FA backups and use Jansen's dollars to find an arm or two. Then frees lots of dollars for the Degrom sweepstakes especially if they can/want to sign Morton..maybe for less dollars. Ozuna addition by subtraction?
Civilized
Bye, Marcell.

Great series win. Huge to take 3 of 4 and beat DeGrom!
ShaggyWolf
I get we can't release Ozuna until the legal process plays out, but I just don't see any benefit of playing him today.
Civilized
ShaggyWolf said:

I get we can't release Ozuna until the legal process plays out, but I just don't see any benefit of playing him today.

Why can't Ozuna be released now?

You don't need a reason to DFA a guy. Hell his play has been bad enough that we could justify releasing him on that basis alone, his inappropriate conduct aside.
ShaggyWolf
Civilized said:

ShaggyWolf said:

You don't need a reason to DFA a guy. Hell his play has been bad enough that we could justify releasing him on that basis alone, his inappropriate conduct aside.
Maybe with the official legal result the Braves don't have to eat the $ ?
Civilized
ShaggyWolf said:

Civilized said:

ShaggyWolf said:

Maybe with the official legal result the Braves don't have to eat the $ ?

I don't have any hope they see that money, Ozuna would undoubtedly appeal and I think it's extremely hard to get out of paying those guaranteed deals even when legal or conduct issues arise.

If you're the Braves trying to run a professional organization and keep that clubhouse and stacked roster focused on waiting another series I think it's worth it to eat the contract and eliminate the distraction.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.