Atlanta Braves 2022 Season

18,686 Views | 226 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
ecbwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Looks really good! Go Dodgers!
Civilized
Packsd14me said:

Civilized said:

I don't begrudge any person making decisions that they think are best for their career and family but strictly from a business perspective this doesn't make a ton of sense.

The Braves reportedly offered Freddie $135MM over 5. A higher AAV, and with CA state tax the Dodgers offer is really more like $150MM over 6 in "ATL money."

So he really left ATL for $15MM on the back end of a five-year deal, when the alternative is to cement your legacy and potentially retire a Brave while having 3-4 more years of prime Acuna, Albies, Anderson, Riley, Fried, and Soroka to make a real run at multiple Series titles over the next few years?

And that 6th year on the deal is a little insurance for him, but only if he thinks he'd be out of baseball after his five year contract. Assuming he's still playing he could re-sign after a five year deal, and that's also assuming the Braves wouldn't have gone something like $145MM or $150MM over 6, which given that they are flush wish cash after their Series I think they would have at least considered.

The writing is on the wall Freddie and his family just wanted to be in LA.
I agree. More of this is Freddie's choice and not AA....we can't be upset with him. Freddie could have been a Brave if he wanted.

Yep.

AA has done a masterful job with the mid-season acquisitions last year and so far this offseason. You can't make somebody sign a contract; I think he did all he could with the Freddie situation.
Packsd14me
Civilized said:

Packsd14me said:

Civilized said:

I don't begrudge any person making decisions that they think are best for their career and family but strictly from a business perspective this doesn't make a ton of sense.

The Braves reportedly offered Freddie $135MM over 5. A higher AAV, and with CA state tax the Dodgers offer is really more like $150MM over 6 in "ATL money."

So he really left ATL for $15MM on the back end of a five-year deal, when the alternative is to cement your legacy and potentially retire a Brave while having 3-4 more years of prime Acuna, Albies, Anderson, Riley, Fried, and Soroka to make a real run at multiple Series titles over the next few years?

And that 6th year on the deal is a little insurance for him, but only if he thinks he'd be out of baseball after his five year contract. Assuming he's still playing he could re-sign after a five year deal, and that's also assuming the Braves wouldn't have gone something like $145MM or $150MM over 6, which given that they are flush wish cash after their Series I think they would have at least considered.

I agree. More of this is Freddie's choice and not AA....we can't be upset with him. Freddie could have been a Brave if he wanted.

Yep.

AA has done a masterful job with the mid-season acquisitions last year and so far this offseason. You can't make somebody sign a contract; I think he did all he could with the Freddie situation.
I think if AA could trade Soler some how for Osuna....I would be happy
ShaggyWolf
Who is Freddie Freeman?
Wolfer79
ShaggyWolf
Packsd14me said:

Civilized said:

Packsd14me said:

Civilized said:

Yep.

Soler is currently a free agent. Atlanta and San Diego are the two most involved right now.
Packsd14me
ShaggyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

Civilized said:

Packsd14me said:

Civilized said:

Yep.

Soler is currently a free agent. Atlanta and San Diego are the two most involved right now.
I knew that. What I mean is they don't need both...sign Soler and trade Osuna....likely for young arms or young outfielder/catcher. I think the team would be pretty solid going into the season.
Pack31
Pack31 said:

Edit:. Post Olson, Rosario, McHugh, and Jansen deals. Shoo!

Acuna
Rosario
Olson
Riley
Ozuna
Albies
Duvall
Darnaud
Swanson

There's 25 plus homer potential 1-9. 4-5 could be 30 plus. Crazy.

Morton
Anderson
Fried
Soroka
Ynoa
Wright
Davidson
Muller
Toussaint
Elder
Vet FA?

Alot of staff options here...especially if Soroka comes back healthy.

BPen:

Minter, Jackson, Smith, Matzek, Yates(august), McHugh, Jansen .... thats the core but there will be others. If Yates regains form that pen will be legit again

I have edited my original thoughts post Olson, Jansen, etc. Thats a helluva lineup, like Ozuna or not. Alot of interchangeable parts here. You struggle, you move down. Bullpen on paper will likely be the best I've seen since I started following the Braves in 1980. I added Elder to the potential starter list since he's being groomed here. Still think with the injury questions we could use a $4-$5million dollar Vet starter to potentially fill in a few months. We will see.
ShaggyWolf
Kenley Jansen to Braves. 1 year $16 million
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
The Braves are now planning for Acuña to return during the first week of May https://t.co/aWQe4c7AU4
Civilized
Wolfer79 said:

The Braves are now planning for Acuña to return during the first week of May https://t.co/aWQe4c7AU4

Man I hope they don't rush him back!
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
During the Red Sox/Braves spring training game they just said that Dansby Swanson is engaged to Mallory Pugh. This is the most exciting "Their kids could be amazing athletes" couple in a while! Why isn't this a website?

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
ShaggyWolf
I would imagine this is what the opening day lineup will look like. The DH will probably vary depending on matchups.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
metcalfmafia
Wolfer79 said:

Mine. No one else is allowed to buy.
Wolfer79
metcalfmafia said:

Wolfer79 said:

Mine. No one else is allowed to buy.

$114.99 at mlb.com for replica blank

$149.99 for #13 replica

$369.99 for authentic blank

$449.99 #13 authentic
same #7 authentic
#1 authentic

youth jerseys $89.99

metcalfmafia
I already have an Acuña road alternate. I snagged a Swanson gold trim.

Guess I won't be wearing my Home Freeman anymore
Wolfer79
opening day

Cincinnati at Atlanta ESPN2, 8 p.m.
Civilized
Happy Opening day! LFG!
ShaggyWolf
Let's run it back fellas
Civilized
Well, Riley looks like he picked up right where he left off last season.

Story last night, to me, was Spencer Strider. Good lord. Electric stuff.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
The Braves' Spencer Strider began growing his mustache when he was 16 years old, the roots of a look that is generally unique in MLB. He noted that White Sox pitcher Dylan Cease has now grown a similar 'stache -- and joked that he might need to send "a Cease and desist" note.

Wolfer79
From @EliasSports: Matt Olson, is 14-for-34 (.412) with 11 walks and a .556 on-base percentage in '22. That on-base percentage leads the NL this year and is the highest by any player over his first 10 career games with the Braves since the team moved to Atlanta in 1966.

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
It's official: Ronald Acuña Jr. begins minor league rehabilitation assignment tonight at Triple-A Gwinnett. He hasn't played in @MLB since suffering a torn right ACL last July 10. @MLBNetwork
Wolfer79
The #Braves today placed INF Austin Riley on the paternity list and recalled INF Travis Demeritte from Triple-A Gwinnett.
Wolfer79
Instead of having Acuña get ready for an 11 a.m. game with Gwinnett tomorrow, the Braves will him continue his rehab stint by playing seven innings in right field on Wednesday and nine innings as RF on Thursday. Both games are at Gwinnett.

packguy75
Ronald Acuña Jr. has been activatied and will start in right field for the Braves as they complete their series against the Cubs at Truist.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.