Atlanta Braves 2022 Season

18,291 Views | 226 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
ShaggyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First order of business: Pay Freddie.
metcalfmafia
First order of business is to have a damn season at all next year. Both sides need to figure it out.
Wolfer79
MLBPA lawyers Bruce Meyer, Ian Penny and Matt Nussbaum have arrived to hear MLB's latest proposal.

The meeting has ended. Union officials are underwhelmed. MLB made a large proposal (compiling some previous ones) on economics & otherwise. Pre-arb bonus pool went up $5 million, to $15m. Slight increases to CBT thresholds, no changes to CBT tax rates. Players will fully review.

As part of MLB's CBT proposal, thresholds go to: $214m, $214m, $216m, $218m, $222m.

(Previously: 214, 214, 214, 216, 220)

CBT = Competitive Balance Threshold (aka Salary Tax limit)

On league minimum salary, MLB made two proposals. One for a flat amount of $630,000 (and teams could pay more if they wish).

Or tiered proposal with an increase in year 3: now, $615k for 0-1 service time, $650k for 1-2 yrs, $725k for 2-3 yrs. Increase is in 2-3: used to be 700k

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/1492577484239478790?t=-0IOCyiaWtQsAUjlBSR5iw&s=19
Wolfer79
Today was supposed to be the official first day of spring training for all 30 teams. Instead we are headed into the 77th day of the MLB lockout. Spring training is officially delayed.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1493936215959035907?t=quqRpGWvymIvjPMFeqJdZQ&s=19
Wolfer79
metcalfmafia
We're back in business baby!
Pack31
metcalfmafia said:

Now...sign FF!!
metcalfmafia
Pack31 said:

metcalfmafia said:

Now...sign FF!!
Don't let him walk away over one year.
metcalfmafia
ShaggyWolf
metcalfmafia
ShaggyWolf said:

Freddie can't go to the Dodgers. It hurts enough seeing Trea play for them.
ShaggyWolf
metcalfmafia said:

ShaggyWolf said:

Freddie can't go to the Dodgers. It hurts enough seeing Trea play for them.
Makes me sick to even think about it.
KKandDD
Last I saw it was between Yanks and Braves. I also saw Braves talked to Verlander during lockout as they wanted to retain Freddie + make a big rotation move. I'd rather just pay Freddie, if healthy we'll have a very good rotation.

I have to think Freddie wants to stay in Atlanta and I can't knock the guy for trying to get what he's worth.

I cannot wait to watch Acuña play baseball again.
Pack31
Any way we can sign Rosario, FF, Duvall, and Soler? I'd love to ship Ozuna off, play the OF of Duvall, Acuna, and Rosario.... DH Soler and Darnaud when he's on a rest day from catching. Pipe dream but that's a WS contender

Acuna
Rosario
FF
Soler
Riley
Albies
Duvall
Darnaud
Swanson

Morton
Anderson
Fried
Soroka
Ynoa
Wright
Davidson
Muller
Toussaint
Vet FA?

Alot of staff options here...especially if Soroka comes back healthy.

BPen:

Minter, Jackson, Smith, Matzek, Yates.... thats the core but there will be others. If Yates regains form that pen will be legit again

BobbyCox95
KKandDD said:

Last I saw it was between Yanks and Braves. I also saw Braves talked to Verlander during lockout as they wanted to retain Freddie + make a big rotation move. I'd rather just pay Freddie, if healthy we'll have a very good rotation.

I have to think Freddie wants to stay in Atlanta and I can't knock the guy for trying to get what he's worth.

I cannot wait to watch Acuña play baseball again.
I keep reading it's Braves or Dodgers. Seeing how this has dragged on for over 48 hours makes me thing the dodgers put a fat offer on the table and Freddie is waiting it out to see how good of a deal he can get from the Braves. No doubt he wants to come back and it appears he's giving the Braves every opportunity to sweeten the pot. We'll see.......
packgrad
This doesn't look like Freddie is returning.

metcalfmafia
Bye Bye Freddie. Not ready to emotionally deal with this yet.
metcalfmafia
Olson is about as good as you can ask as a replacement though! Mashes the ball and a gold glover.
BobbyCox95
I've been torn on this. Would love to have Freddie back but business-wise, it doesn't make sense to pay a 32 year old 30 mill a year for 6 years. I wish we could have locked him up last season knowing this would turn into a bidding war but I think Freddie and his agent are partly to blame for this not working out too. He could have signed a really good deal but decided that money was more important than legacy. Braves will rarely ever pay Dodger and Yankee money for a free agent.
3rdGenPacker
I'm still holding out hope that Olson is being brought in to DH and relieve FF occasionally.....
packgrad
I've been refreshing twitter since Saturday looking for FF re-signing news. This hurts. Olson is great, but I loved Freddie.
metcalfmafia
3rdGenPacker said:

I'm still holding out hope that Olson is being brought in to DH and relieve FF occasionally.....
Don't hold onto that too hard brother.
BobbyCox95
They interviewed AA out at spring training today and he was visibly upset about it. All chocked up......said it was the most difficult decision he's had to make as a GM.

Don't think it was as cut and dry as "just business".
packgrad
AlleyPack
Guys like Cal Ripken, Jr. and Tony Gwynn often took less money to stay with their respective "legacy" team.
Other, current players (like Freddie) could do the same --- but it's become a rarity.

Bottom line: if he wanted to stay, he would have signed.
It's not like the Braves were low-balling him or anything.
packguy75
Olson signed an extension today - 8 years - 168 mil - team option for 9th year at 20 mil - basically traded Freddie for Matt with a couple of extra years in the deal - I'm not saying I like the deal, but if we had to lose Freeman, Olson ain't a bad replacement -
metcalfmafia
packguy75 said:

Olson signed an extension today - 8 years - 168 mil - team option for 9th year at 20 mil - basically traded Freddie for Matt with a couple of extra years in the deal - I'm not saying I like the deal, but if we had to lose Freeman, Olson ain't a bad replacement -
I've emotionally moved on. Olson had a better year last year than Freddie and we're getting him in his prime. Let's go win another 'ship.
Civilized
Massive deal to agree to a long-term extension with Olson so soon after signing him.

This deal *probably* made sense from a business/baseball standpoint even if it was only two years. The obvious hope was that the two could become five or six via an extension.

8 year deal...wow!

So you've assured yourself prime Olson, prime Acuna Jr., and prime Albies with Riley under club control for four more seasons. Fried for three, and Soroka for three. Dansby will be a big focus next offseason I'm sure.

That is a helluva core to build around with free agents the next three seasons (min).
Civilized
The obvious risk with Olson is consistency of production...Freddie did what he did for years. You knew exactly what you were getting with him.

The Braves inking Olson to a big and very long deal when he's young and coming off his best season carries some risk, but what move doesn't. Given the hand AA was playing with, he played it masterfully. Huge dropoff after Olson WRT first base possibilities. Huge, huge get (and extension) by AA.

Damn I'm gonna miss Freehugs though.
Wolfer79
Civilized
Damnit Wolfer I thought I'd convinced myself I was OK with this move until I read that.
packguy75
According to reports - Freddie Freeman to Dodgers - 6 yrs - 162 mil
packgrad
packguy75 said:

According to reports - Freddie Freeman to Dodgers - 6 yrs - 162 mil

Ugh
Civilized
I don't begrudge any person making decisions that they think are best for their career and family but strictly from a business perspective this doesn't make a ton of sense.

The Braves reportedly offered Freddie $135MM over 5. A higher AAV, and with CA state tax the Dodgers offer is really more like $150MM over 6 in "ATL money."

So he really left ATL for $15MM on the back end of a five-year deal, when the alternative is to cement your legacy and potentially retire a Brave while having 3-4 more years of prime Acuna, Albies, Anderson, Riley, Fried, and Soroka to make a real run at multiple Series titles over the next few years?

And that 6th year on the deal is a little insurance for him, but only if he thinks he'd be out of baseball after his five year contract. Assuming he's still playing he could re-sign after a five year deal, and that's also assuming the Braves wouldn't have gone something like $145MM or $150MM over 6, which given that they are flush wish cash after their Series I think they would have at least considered.

The writing is on the wall Freddie and his family just wanted to be in LA.
Packsd14me
Civilized said:

I don't begrudge any person making decisions that they think are best for their career and family but strictly from a business perspective this doesn't make a ton of sense.

The Braves reportedly offered Freddie $135MM over 5. A higher AAV, and with CA state tax the Dodgers offer is really more like $150MM over 6 in "ATL money."

So he really left ATL for $15MM on the back end of a five-year deal, when the alternative is to cement your legacy and potentially retire a Brave while having 3-4 more years of prime Acuna, Albies, Anderson, Riley, Fried, and Soroka to make a real run at multiple Series titles over the next few years?

And that 6th year on the deal is a little insurance for him, but only if he thinks he'd be out of baseball after his five year contract. Assuming he's still playing he could re-sign after a five year deal, and that's also assuming the Braves wouldn't have gone something like $145MM or $150MM over 6, which given that they are flush wish cash after their Series I think they would have at least considered.

The writing is on the wall Freddie and his family just wanted to be in LA.
I agree. More of this is Freddie's choice and not AA....we can't be upset with him. Freddie could have been a Brave if he wanted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.