Braves 2021 Season

20,083 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JocoPack
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Getting swept by the Phils isn't ideal to open the season but pitching has looked good early.

Need to get the bats going in Washington!
Pack31
Well, tomorrow's opener versus the Nats postponed. Also, Martin injured today. Need to get right fast.
Civilized
Pack31 said:

Well, tomorrow's opener versus the Nats postponed. Also, Martin injured today. Need to get right fast.

Gah, was afraid of that with the Nats series.

Fortunately it didn't sound like an aggravation of Martin's past oblique issues; Snit said in the postgame he thought it was a finger issue. Obviously we'll know more this week but it didn't sound serious.

ETA: Nevermind. Just read it was described as "tingling in the fingers." *** would cause that? Nerve issues in the wrist or something? That doesn't sound good, hopefully it's just some inflammation due to him not yet being fully in game shape that they can get under control and work through over the next couple of weeks.
Civilized
Sounds like Martin is day-to-day, which is good news.

Bats gotta heat up. Hope it starts today!
Pack31
Civilized said:

Sounds like Martin is day-to-day, which is good news.

Bats gotta heat up. Hope it starts today!

Yes, typically its something pressing on a nerve. Some swelling or inflammation. Anywhere from the neck to the wrist. It's all connected. Hell, my arms fall asleep every night when I sleep on my sides or even bend my elbows while I sleep lol
metcalfmafia
Dang didn't know we had a thread going. Pitching looked plenty good enough, but good pitching is useless if you can't plate a run (obviously).

I think the bats will still struggle in this series, but will pickup when we get back to Atlanta.
Civilized
Great to get on the board with not one but two wins today! Needed that.

Panda is seeing the ball early, he could be a really nice bench piece for us this year. Even Ender drove the ball today.

Fried got lit up a little early but I've got zero concern about him. Nice to see Newcombe come in for the save; that role could be interesting for him.

And Acuna Jr. is just so damn good.
Pack31
Yep, nice to get on the board in the W column. We can be scary offensively when everyone gets it going. Hope Ender can get it going enough to be a good July trade piece if needed. Hes a good dude.

Side note, Soroka set back 2 weeks with shoulder tenderness. Not a good sign this early. He may be out a while. I'd say June 1ish at this point.
Civilized
Soroka makes me nervous too. I'm sure a big part of it is just getting his shoulder reacclimated to a full workload again but still, that's sort of inflammation has a tendency to linger.
Civilized
Another good win last night. Bats are beating up some. Also, Acuna Jr. is so damn good.
KKandDD
Bats are really trending in the right direction, just need Ozuna to get going too.

That call last night was awful and MLB review system needs to be revamped completely. Shouldn't have umpires running it, or at least not regular MLB umpiring crews.
metcalfmafia
Absolutely ruined a great back and forth game. Why even have the system if you aren't going to use it to get the call right? It's not just an issue from last night either.
Civilized
That call last night was Gawd-awful. His toe wasn't within 2 inches of the plate and that was clear on multiple angles. If you're going to suck that bad at replay just eliminate it and go back to a sped-up game.

Hopefully Ynoa can get things back on a winning track tonight. He's looked good early.
Pack31
Welp, Duval owning us, Frieds been terrible and now is hurt, no one hitting but RA, Soroka with a setback, and Pache on the 10 day. Did I miss anything lol.

I said offseason on TOS thread that we needed a proven upgrade at 3rd for Riley and was hit with pushback. He just hasn't hit well once they figured him out.

Also, Ender has NO value at all. Dump him and promote someone.

Pache hurt, I say bring up Harris or Waters and start em everyday the next 10. What's it gonna hurt? We suck currently.

We failed to shore up the pen and are rolling the dice each outing now. Soroka still out,, Fried hurt....we are looking at a rotstionnstarting Ynoa and Wilson in the 1, 5 lots now. We went from a loaded pen to a bunch of heart attacks.

Just disappointing overall.
Civilized
Long season.

Soroka's and Fried's health worries me more than anything.
ShaggyWolf
Bryse Wilson (brother of Payton) getting the start for Atlanta tonight.
metcalfmafia
Civilized
You knew those bats were going to show up eventually. Glad it happened all at once last night!
Wolfer79
metcalfmafia
Wolfer79 said:

MVP
Civilized
Without a doubt and it's really not close so far.

It's early but damn he's as hot as anyone can possibly be on a baseball diamond.

Honestly, his combo of speed and power is the best we've seen since a young Trout or Bonds. He's so damn good.
metcalfmafia
Civilized said:

It's early but damn he's as hot as anyone can possibly be on a baseball diamond.

Honestly, his combo of speed and power is the best we've seen since a young Trout or Bonds. He's so damn good.
Hell of a RF too. If we can get a consistent option in CF, then he'll lock down that RF spot for a decade.
Civilized
metcalfmafia said:

Civilized said:

Hell of a RF too. If we can get a consistent option in CF, then he'll lock down that RF spot for a decade.

Pache's a poor man's Druw Jones so far. Fielding ahead of bat but neither as good as Jones at the same age.

Hopefully he keeps developing.
Wolfer79
Bill Shaikin

Braves announce they'll return to full capacity starting May 7. Masks required, vaccinations not required.

If you're not comfortable, Braves say they'll give you a credit for a future game this season.

Wolfer79
Sarah Langs

Huascar Ynoa is the 1st Braves pitcher with back-to-back multi-hit games since John Smoltz had 2 straight such games in 2006

metcalfmafia
This game has it all.
Civilized
I love position players pitching.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Civilized
Multiple positive signs emerging.

Fried looked healthy and sharp last night.
Minter has found his control.
Marcel is heating up.
Acuna is staying hot.
Contreras may be emerging.

And we're hitting grannies on a nighty basis. Good lord, Ynoa! That dude has the follow through of a man that is acquainted with tatering. It was Griffey-esque.

What a swing for a pitcher, but what's the over/under on how many fastballs he sees the rest of the year? 1?
metcalfmafia
Civilized said:

Multiple positive signs emerging.

Fried looked healthy and sharp last night.
Minter has found his control.
Marcel is heating up.
Acuna is staying hot.
Contreras may be emerging.

And we're hitting grannies on a nighty basis. Good lord, Ynoa! That dude has the follow through of a man that is acquainted with tatering. It was Griffey-esque.

What a swing for a pitcher, but what's the over/under on how many fastballs he sees the rest of the year? 1?
Once Freeman gets going and Soroka comes back...we're rolling.

I want to see AA add a bullpen arm or too. The bullpen worries me long term.
Civilized
Losing Melancon hurt.

Hopefully we can add an arm and cobble it together. I trust AA to get it done.
metcalfmafia
Also losing Travis D potentially for the season is a huge blow. Really hate to rely on Jackson and Contreras even though Contreras has looked good so far.

It will be difficult to win the division again when you are relying on rookies at Catcher and CF.
Civilized
metcalfmafia said:

Also losing Travis D potentially for the season is a huge blow. Really hate to rely on Jackson and Contreras even though Contreras has looked good so far.

It will be difficult to win the division again when you are relying on rookies at Catcher and CF.

If Travis D's injury proves to be that serious I think they go hunting for a veteran catcher. Hell, I'd pull T-Flow out of the front office before I'd rely on a couple of rooks all season.
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.