Story Poster
Photo by Steve Murphy/IPS
NC State Baseball

MLB DRAFT PREVIEW: A Look At NC State's Players And Signees

June 3, 2019

With the NC State baseball season in the books, the offseason begins quickly. The MLB Draft begins Monday night and continues through Wednesday and it is going to be a big week for current and potential future Wolfpack players. Here’s a look at who to keep an eye on.
To continue reading, you must be a Inside Pack Sports Premium subscriber.
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial
Discussion from...

MLB DRAFT PREVIEW: A Look At NC State's Players And Signees

23,823 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JCooke93
Colonel Armstrong
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Next years team could rely on draft decisions more than normal. Hoping we have some good luck.
Formerly King Leary
wilmwolf
Fingers crossed...
EthanBarry
Staff
Mensik and Justice are both draft-eligible, which I didn't mention. I could see each getting drafted but would be surprised if either sign
EthanBarry
Staff
cof17wolf said:

Next years team could rely on draft decisions more than normal. Hoping we have some good luck.
Yeah I agree. Could be looking at a complete rebuild of the staff or a ton of returning experience. That doesn't include Walston or Villaman
EthanBarry
Staff
https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/PBR/2019-Mock-Draft-2.0-3201654897

"Los Angeles is rumored to be making a run at LHP Blake Walston"

This tells me that if the Dodgers draft him today, he's already agreed to a deal with them. If he doesn't get drafted today, it's a good sign but State won't feel good until after Tuesday

wilmwolf
Is Mensik 21?
EthanBarry
Staff
Yes
wilmwolf
Didn't realize that, thanks
CLTWolf
Will Wilson goes to the Angels at 15.

Nice.
Colonel Armstrong
CLTWolf said:

Will Wilson goes to the Angels at 15.

Nice.

Go get paid young man!
Formerly King Leary
Ripper
Walston gone. D'Backs.
CLTWolf
He's gonna get paid big money.
EthanBarry
Staff
Well I would say it's extremely unlikely he comes but I doubt he has a deal already worked out
CLTWolf
Slot there is a little over 2.6 mil. You know the Dbacks have the money this year so do you ask for 3.5-4 mil and make them pay? Whew doggy.
Colonel Armstrong
Formerly King Leary
Ripper
CLTWolf said:

He's gonna get paid big money.
Yep, the D'Backs have the most bonus cash this draft. Sadly, no way he comes to the Pack.
EthanBarry
Staff
CLTWolf said:

Slot there is a little over 2.6 mil. You know the Dbacks have the money this year so do you ask for 3.5-4 mil and make them pay? Whew doggy.

Yeah..... hope they draft a ton of high schoolers I guess, they already got one. Walston is overslot for sure
James Henderson
Staff
GONE
wilmwolf
That's the tough part of trying to recruit great pitchers. Certain he'll sign, but I'll hold out a glimmer of hope till it actually happens.
CLTWolf
Another NC kid to the Dbacks, Brennan Malone (from Indian Trail or Matthews, I think)

He's not gonna be cheap either.

Oh. Another Dback pick coming up.
CLTWolf
One time State commit out of Alabama Davis Daniel was just selected in the 7th round. He ended up at Auburn once Holliday left.
CLTWolf
Unc has another recruit picked, this time in the 8th round. P DJ Herz out of Terry Sanford HS was picked by the Cubs.
CLTWolf
Ex Wolfpack pitcher Evan Braband goes in the 9th round to the Brewers. He finished up at Liberty. Good for him.
Ripper
OK, day 2 in the books. For anyone in the know, where do we stand with our incoming Frosh or any incoming Jucos if they get drafted tomorrow? Bullock, Laws, and Zebron were drafted in the teens and went to MLB.

Are any definitely leaving for MLB no matter what round selected? Do any have a cutoff round for coming to State? Are any definitely coming to State no matter what round selected?
EthanBarry
Staff
A good first two days. Will and Evan went higher than expected, nobody else got picked. State's odds improve dramatically with current players and recruits between round 10 and 11. Once you get through the top 20 rounds you feel really good about recruits.

As for Walston, the Diamondbacks picked 5 high schoolers and only two college seniors in the first ten rounds. I don't think they will be able to sign all five high schoolers but we'll see
JCooke93
EthanBarry said:

A good first two days. Will and Evan went higher than expected, nobody else got picked. State's odds improve dramatically with current players and recruits between round 10 and 11. Once you get through the top 20 rounds you feel really good about recruits.

As for Walston, the Diamondbacks picked 5 high schoolers and only two college seniors in the first ten rounds. I don't think they will be able to sign all five high schoolers but we'll see
figures Crossed
tau06
So I've been trying to follow along, and so far only guys picked that NCSU are Wilson, Edwards, and the HS pitcher in the first round right?
JCooke93
tau06 said:

So I've been trying to follow along, and so far only guys picked that NCSU are Wilson, Edwards, and the HS pitcher in the first round right?
Right
metcalfmafia
Is Walston weekend starter good?
EthanBarry
Staff
metcalfmafia said:

Oh yeah. Probably not opening weekend but by April I would guess.

It's tough to compare anybody to Carlos Rodon (he was one of the best college pitchers in this generation) but Walston is a bigger prospect than Rodon was at this point
CLTWolf
EthanBarry said:

metcalfmafia said:

Oh yeah. Probably not opening weekend but by April I would guess.

It's tough to compare anybody to Carlos Rodon (he was one of the best college pitchers in this generation) but Walston is a bigger prospect than Rodon was at this point

I believe if Rodon hadn't been dinged up and hurt his SR you would've seen the same type of meteoric rise out of him as well. I'm not sure Walston throws as hard as Rodon but the kid is now and can be later every bit as good.

James Henderson
Staff
metcalfmafia said:

YES
wilmwolf
I think Walston has some development to do on his secondary stuff, but he's a freshman starter for sure.
rwwalsh
JUCO commit Andy Sammuelson goes in the 12th round.
Ripper
rwwalsh said:

JUCO commit Andy Sammuelson goes in the 12th round.
Yep, just saw that. Any info on his intentions?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.