Story Poster
Photo by Steve Murphy/IPS
NC State Baseball

MLB DRAFT PREVIEW: A Look At NC State's Players And Signees

June 3, 2019

With the NC State baseball season in the books, the offseason begins quickly. The MLB Draft begins Monday night and continues through Wednesday and it is going to be a big week for current and potential future Wolfpack players. Here’s a look at who to keep an eye on.
To continue reading, you must be a Inside Pack Sports Premium subscriber.
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial
Discussion from...

MLB DRAFT PREVIEW: A Look At NC State's Players And Signees

23,832 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JCooke93
Struttingwolf96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok, thanks.
Struttingwolf96
So this team I believe has a chance to be one of the most talented & full of depth.
C's-Bailey, Debo, Thresh
FB-Thresh, Debo, Murr, Butcher
SB-Jarrett, McDonough, Vazquez, Brown, Torres
SS-Vazquez, Mensik, Brown, Neese, Torres
TB-Mensik, Vazquez, Brown, Highfill, Neese
OF-Butler, McDonough, Tatum, Brown, McArthur, Chlup, Thomas, Soles, Giles

P's-Johnston, Klyman, Gauthier, Harrison, Justice, Swiney, Feeney, Silver, Creel, Cotter, Pike, Nelson, Tillery, Whitaker, Bender, Villaman, Willadsen, Cao, Pace
jwpack
He ran a 6.2 for a padre scout his junior year at state.
Glasswolf
Struttingwolf96 said:

So this team I believe has a chance to be one of the most talented & full of depth.
C's-Bailey, Debo, Thresh
FB-Thresh, Debo, Murr, Butcher
SB-Jarrett, McDonough, Vazquez, Brown, Torres
SS-Vazquez, Mensik, Brown, Neese, Torres
TB-Mensik, Vazquez, Brown, Highfill, Neese
OF-Butler, McDonough, Tatum, Brown, McArthur, Chlup, Thomas, Soles, Giles

P's-Johnston, Klyman, Gauthier, Harrison, Justice, Swiney, Feeney, Silver, Creel, Cotter, Pike, Nelson, Tillery, Whitaker, Bender, Villaman, Willadsen, Cao, Pace
When fall ball starts, McDonough will be at 2nd, Soles will be at Cf and Mensik will be at SS
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Struttingwolf96
Who do you think will be at 1st, 3rd, & RF?
Ripper
Tresh needs at bats. I think he's a good one.
JCooke93
Ripper said:

Tresh needs at bats. I think he's a good one.
LF And Butler in RF Then
Struttingwolf96
You dont think Thresh could see time at FB? Seemed to struggle in the OF at times when he played out there.
Glasswolf
Struttingwolf96 said:

Who do you think will be at 1st, 3rd, & RF?

Right now brown or Vasquez if he comes back
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

CLTWolf
FB means fastball or fly ball.

We have two players coming in that have actually played 1B previously in Austin Murr and Will Butcher. Austin Murr can play RF as well but I just can't see Tresh playing that position over those two. I guess he could get a shot at RF over LF with moving Butler over but even that seems like too much trouble.
Struttingwolf96
FB can also mean First base as well. Just as someone who would rather put it as 1B. Either or, I'm not keeping a score book on here & being all official with what is. It's a message board.
CLTWolf
It doesn't mean first base. It's like someone that says the word salmon as "sal-man". It's incorrect.
Take the help. It's an olive branch, accept it.

My shot in the dark...
C- Patrick Bailey
1B- Austin Murr
2B- Tyler McDonough
3B- Vojtech Mensik (he's probably better than he showed at SS during the Wake series but he didn't look great)
SS- Jose Torres
LF- Jonny Butler
CF- Noah Soles
RF- Devonte Brown (Murr could get some time here but I just can't see Tresh or Debo playing 1st with Murr and Butcher on the roster)
DH- Brad Debo

No clue on the weekend starters. A FR probably gets a shot. Does Reid Johnston stay in the weekend rotation? I still say his best role is in long relief. Does Logan Bender have enough juice to make the weekend rotation? Do they stretch out Swiney and/or Feeney? Too many questions right now.

As always, does Hart/Avent snag a last minute recruit that seems to be the norm the last couple years?

Who ends up leaving? Anyone? My guess is a kid or two doesn't come back and that's fine.

Like ol strutter has said, lots of talent returning.
Struttingwolf96
Gotcha. Like the lineup, think Thresh, Tatum, Chlup, & Jarrett will battle for some playing time also. Guessing at weekend roation: Johnston(Avent seems to want him as a starter?), Harrison(think he will be one of the more improved players on the team), & either Feeney(health) or Swiney(might be to valuable out of the bullpen though). Maybe Villaman will surprise us & make an instant impact here?
Ripper
At minimum, Tresh should be DH against lefties. Throw in a few games at C (spelling PB), a few games in the OF (early season while sorting out who steps up), and lots of pinch hitting.
CLTWolf
His first two years, Reid has been a long relief guy to start the season. Check the schedule. It seems like the coaches want Reid in long relief. They started Swiney the first two Sundays of the year and Canaan Silver on the first three Saturdays before settling in with Reid going Saturdays and mostly bullpen on Sundays.

JT Jarrett is a great teammate I bet and seems like a great kid but he can't be our starting second baseman. He's a great late inning defensive replacement or pinch runner. Tresh just doesn't really have anywhere to play. Needs to work on hitting breaking balls as well.
CLTWolf
Ripper said:

At minimum, Tresh should be DH against lefties. Throw in a few games at C (spelling PB), a few games in the OF (early season while sorting out who steps up), and lots of pinch hitting.

I don't disagree with this.
JCooke93
Struttingwolf96 said:

Gotcha. Like the lineup, think Thresh, Tatum, Chlup, & Jarrett will battle for some playing time also. Guessing at weekend roation: Johnston(Avent seems to want him as a starter?), Harrison(think he will be one of the more improved players on the team), & either Feeney(health) or Swiney(might be to valuable out of the bullpen though). Maybe Villaman will surprise us & make an instant impact here?
I think that Villaman will be in the Starting Rotation
JCooke93
Ripper said:

I agree with this but I think that Debo should Catch before Luca
JCooke93
3B D.vasquez2 or J.torres RF D.brown3 T.tatum1 M.chulp32 or J.butler2 And at 1B A.murr is my guess
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

I think that Villaman will be in the Starting Rotation

I honestly do too but I have to wonder if he's hurt or something mechanically is going on with him. I can't find much at all about his SR year at Ledford this year. Hopefully he's good to go and bringin' it come Feb/March.
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

It doesn't mean first base. It's like someone that says the word salmon as "sal-man". It's incorrect.

My shot in the dark...
C- Patrick Bailey
1B- Austin Murr
2B- Tyler McDonough
3B- Vojtech Mensik (he's probably better than he showed at SS during the Wake series but he didn't look great)
SS- Jose Torres
LF- Jonny Butler
CF- Noah Soles
RF- Devonte Brown (Murr could get some time here but I just can't see Tresh or Debo playing 1st with Murr and Butcher on the roster)
DH- Brad Debo

No clue on the weekend starters. A FR probably gets a shot. Does Reid Johnston stay in the weekend rotation? I still say his best role is in long relief. Does Logan Bender have enough juice to make the weekend rotation? Do they stretch out Swiney and/or Feeney? Too many questions right now.

As always, does Hart/Avent snag a last minute recruit that seems to be the norm the last couple years?

Who ends up leaving? Anyone? My guess is a kid or two doesn't come back and that's fine.

Remember the name Blake Dockery? No shame if you don't, he was a pitcher apart of the 2018 class and spent fall on campus before transferring. Ended up at Catawba Valley, with Bender, and put up numbers close to Bender. 6-2 0.92 ERA, 2 complete games. In 59 innings he had a 89/19 K/BB ratio and gave up only 28 hits. Not saying he's a weekend guy, but wink wink, it's someone they're trying to bring back. Another solid arm (brief numbers he's 6'2 180 lbs RHP that was up to 92 mph in HS) to hopefully add to the stable.
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

My shot in the dark...
C- Patrick Bailey
1B- Austin Murr
2B- Tyler McDonough
SS- Jose Torres
LF- Jonny Butler
CF- Noah Soles
DH- Brad Debo

Remember the name Blake Dockery? No shame if you don't, he was a pitcher apart of the 2018 class and spent fall on campus before transferring. Ended up at Catawba Valley, with Bender, and put up numbers close to Bender. 6-2 0.92 ERA, 2 complete games. In 59 innings he had a 89/19 K/BB ratio and gave up only 28 hits. Not saying he's a weekend guy, but wink wink, it's someone they're trying to bring back. Another solid arm (brief numbers he's 6'2 180 lbs RHP that was up to 92 mph in HS) to hopefully add to the stable.

Absolutely remember Blake and followed him while at CVCC this year. I used to work with a guy who's son played with Blake in high school, spoke highly of him.

I have heard they were trying to get him back and getting an experienced arm (JUCO, I know) late would be great.
BigLefty24
I like Mensik at 3B and Torres at SS also. I too, have some questions about Villaman. Seems to have lost a little velocity this year. Think Willadsen is a guy no one's talking about that could surprise out of the pen as well. 9-0 this year, 0.35 ERA, opponents OB% under .100, 102 K's and only 20 hits allowed in 60 innings pitched.
pack2010
BigLefty24 said:

I like Mensik at 3B and Torres at SS also. I too, have some questions about Villaman. Seems to have lost a little velocity this year. Think Willadsen is a guy no one's talking about that could surprise out of the pen as well. 9-0 this year, 0.35 ERA, opponents OB% under .100, 102 K's and only 20 hits allowed in 60 innings pitched.
Pace and willadsen both have big time, long term, potential that no one is talking about. Wouldn't be surprised to see one, or both, in the rotation as sophomores.

As for Villaman, he still put up big time numbers this year but was clearly limited on the mound. Hopefully it's something rest can take care of. Hit .492 with a .600+ OBP with 8 home runs and 38 RBIs as a position player too
JCooke93
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

My shot in the dark...
C- Patrick Bailey
1B- Austin Murr
2B- Tyler McDonough
SS- Jose Torres
LF- Jonny Butler
CF- Noah Soles
DH- Brad Debo

Absolutely remember Blake and followed him while at CVCC this year. I used to work with a guy who's son played with Blake in high school, spoke highly of him.

I have heard they were trying to get him back and getting an experienced arm (JUCO, I know) late would be great.
I have mixed feelings about trying to get black to come back to the Pack 9
JCooke93
Still no News on J.Torres

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.