2018 FIFA World Cup

9,535 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rob McLamb
SniderFC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Russia knocks out Spain in penalties! What a crazy tournament this has been!
Ripper
NatePait94 said:

Ripper said:

Argentina is in bad need of a post-Messi reboot. Most of their starters are in their early 30's. First, they need to hire a normal, highly qualified coach and technical director. The current guy is a clown. He looks like an extra from The Jersey Shore. Then they need to build the team around Paolo Dybala and Mauro Icardi, and usher in a new generation of players.

You will see that in the next world cup but the current t roster is necessary. They are still the best starters for their country. Experience and skill.
This Argentine roster was weak and the coach was a clown. They had 5 world class players, all attackers, who couldn't all play at the same time. Messi, Aguero, DiMaria, Higuain, and Dybala. The midfield, backs, and goalies are super weak. Having a 34 year old Mascherano (in poor form) playing a key central midfield role is all you need to know. Either they have good younger midfield and defensive players and just refused to select or play them or they have none. For their sake, I hope it's the former.
Ripper
Japan-Belgium second half was unbelievable.
Rob McLamb
Staff
Ripper said:

Japan-Belgium second half was unbelievable.
It was one of the better World Cup matches I have ever seen.
Twitter: @RobMcLamb
NatePait94
What a comeback by the red devils!!!
Rob McLamb
Staff

Ripper
England needs to play better against Sweden if they want to advance. They showed very little creativity today. They need to attack more.
Rob McLamb
Staff
Postalwolf said:

I'll wait til England actually plays somebody.
The semifinals of the World Cup. I think you have to give England credit now.
Rob McLamb
Staff
Ian Wright was hard on him but I thought Sterling had a positive impact for England.
WarrenPeace
Rob McLamb said:

Postalwolf said:

I hear ya. Semi finals is great and nothing to sniff at, but come on, Tunisia, Panama, Colombia on penalties, and Sweden(weakest team left)? That's and ridiculously easy draw. I actually love England and the Premier League. I'd love to see them win, just not a fan of Southgate.
Ripper
This World Cup is awesome. Great games. A part of me is glad we didn't qualify with Arena as coach. Can you imagine Besler, Gonzalez, Zusi and the other MLS flunkies trying to play these teams. I cringe at the roster that Arena would have selected. Many of our talented young guys would have been on the bench or not selected at all.
Rob McLamb
Staff
Postalwolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

Postalwolf said:

I hear ya. Semi finals is great and nothing to sniff at, but come on, Tunisia, Panama, Colombia on penalties, and Sweden(weakest team left)? That's and ridiculously easy draw. I actually love England and the Premier League. I'd love to see them win, just not a fan of Southgate.
England cannot control that variable. It really is not their problem in regards to who they play, other than finding a way to win. It is easy to bash Sweden but they are the reason Italy did not make it.

On a side note, imagine this: Gareth Southgate is actually now -- based on results, in the mix as a top-five manager in England national team history. If he guides England this deep he is top-three for sure. That seems crazy. I would never have thought that when they hired him but he has done a great job.

Rob McLamb
Staff
Ripper said:

This World Cup is awesome. Great games. A part of me is glad we didn't qualify with Arena as coach. Can you imagine Besler, Gonzalez, Zusi and the other MLS flunkies trying to play these teams. I cringe at the roster that Arena would have selected. Many of our talented young guys would have been on the bench or not selected at all.
I cringed at the idea of the USA making it to a World Cup in Russia for political reasons. The American team also would have been thrashed. It might have been 1998 World Cup-level bad. There is no way they advance past the group stage.
Rob McLamb
Staff
What I like best about international soccer is, for me at least, it combines sport with geography and history. For that reason, I would love to see an England-France final.
Ripper
I'm going with Belgium. They have the most scoring options. This appears to be first World Cup where the Flemish (Dutch) and Walloon (French) internal team distractions have subsided allowing Belgium to play as a team.
NatePait94
Nah you're gon a have to pick another team. The red devils are my chip lol
Ripper
Bobby Wood staying in the Bundesliga with Hannover 96. A fresh start or re-boot may do him good and by extension help with USMNT. Erik Palmer-Brown and Andrija Novakovich both moving up to the Eredivisie. Lots of young US talent playing in good Euro leagues this upcoming season.
NatePait94
Ripper said:

Bobby Wood staying in the Bundesliga with Hannover 96. A fresh start or re-boot may do him good and by extension help with USMNT. Erik Palmer-Brown and Andrija Novakovich both moving up to the Eredivisie. Lots of young US talent playing in good Euro leagues this upcoming season.

I have a Bobby wood jersey for usmnt. I like to wear it when I take trips with the AO
hink2
Rob McLamb said:

What I like best about international soccer is, for me at least, it combines sport with geography and history. For that reason, I would love to see an England-France final.
Vive la France. One-half of the way there, and agree that would be an incredibly exciting match-up for geographical and historical reasons, not to mention how good both teams have looked at times in this tournament.
NatePait94
BOOOOO
Ripper
Well, I got that one wrong. Didn't think the Frogs would top the Waffles.
TheStorm
France will wax England if England is fortunate enough to make the finals.
Ripper
Croatia or England needs to beat France. France was in Neymar mode today.
BruceDouble
Not a soccer fan, but I can get into the World Cup. Have enjoyed watching it this year.

Replay has seemed to help out a ton(to a casual fan). Other than Neymar, the flopping doesn't seem as bad.

Neymar challenge was hilarious.
PackFansXL
So the final is the red, white, and blue vertical stripes versus the red, white, and blue horizontal stripes. Yay red, white, blue! Just need some stars in the next Cup.
Ripper
Go Hrvatska!
Rob McLamb
Staff
I was really hoping England would win. I have followed them for many years (even before Southgate missed the penalty versus Germany). They did well and should be proud. They were about 22 minutes away from a final.

France and Croatia should be interesting. It is a hard match for me to get a read on. I rate it a 50/50 final.
NatePait94
My coworker and I have a friendly wager on the match. I have Croatia winning, they have France. Loser has to purposefully poop their pants at work. I'm excited to say the least.
PackFansXL
NatePait94 said:

My coworker and I have a friendly wager on the match. I have Croatia winning, they have France. Loser has to purposefully poop their pants at work. I'm excited to say the least.
LOL, which side has to roll around on the floor holding their head, shoulder, arm, leg, or arse acting like their wound was the worst experience of their careers? Winner, loser, or both?
NatePait94
PackFansXL said:

NatePait94 said:

LOL, which side has to roll around on the floor holding their head, shoulder, arm, leg, or arse acting like their wound was the worst experience of their careers? Winner, loser, or both?
My heart say both, but my brain says the French...
TheStorm
NatePait94 said:

PackFansXL said:

NatePait94 said:

My heart say both, but my brain says the French...
Your brain is smarter than your heart.
NatePait94
I'm not so sure... My brain made a wager that could end up with me pooping my pants...
NatePait94
Looks like I gotta poop myself....
Rob McLamb
Staff
Croatia actually did some good things stat-wise. I think France and Croatia will probably both play a big part in the Euro 2020 as well. Both national teams are on the rise.
NatePait94
Rob McLamb said:

Croatia actually did some good things stat-wise. I think France and Croatia will probably both play a big part in the Euro 2020 as well. Both national teams are on the rise.

Croatia will see a dip as their players are averaged in the 30 year age range. Belgium and France are going to be strong the next 10 years
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.