2018 FIFA World Cup

9,328 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rob McLamb
PackFansXL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
World Cup link

Without US participation, do you care? If so, it begins in earnest this week. If nothing else, it will prepare you for basketball season, because it's the only sport I've watched with more flops per game than Duke basketball.
1MANWOLFPAK
Football forum. Don't care period
nryanh94
Yeah lol, I couldnt care less about soccer
statefan91
Excited outside of the US not being in it
ecbwolf
Soccer sucks and should never be allowed on tv.
CLTWolf
Love watching the World Cup. Them dudes are some athletes.
Packchem91
Can't wait. The games at this level, with these stakes are my favorite form of entertainment, or at least equal to NC State FB again the better teams.

That said, USA not being in it feels like getting ready for the Big Dance when we are not in that....excited but with a hole in the heart.
FuzzyRed
Futbol, perfectly at home in this forum.
cowboypack02
If the US isn't in it I could really care less about the world cup...but that doesn't mean that I won't put my two cents in!
Packchem91
It does feel like though its one of the usual crowd that will win it -- Germany, France, Brazil. Maybe Belgium. I haven't looked at any betting odds, but seems Germany would have to be a pretty significant favorite...their 2nd team could go to the final 8.
Ripper
World Cup is awesome. Sux without USA for the first time since 1986. Picking Spain to win. Uruguay is my darkhorse pick for the final four. Rooting for Denmark since the USA and Ireland are not playing.
VTPack919
Can't wait for the Uruguay vs Egypt match. Looking to see how Salah rebounds from injury and a front line of Suarez-Cavani is about as good as it gets.
YNWA
WOLFDAC
Yes, I'll watch...the World Cup is one of the greatest sporting events on the planet...still very bummed that the USA is not in it...but we will be pulling for Iceland.
Wolfer79

The host nation usually gets an automatic berth. But in 2026: https://t.co/rCuG3uv1De
TheStorm
As far as watching goes... it does not matter to me whatsoever that the US is not playing. I watch simply for the quality of play, the nationalism and the tradition of the event itself. Watch as many matches that I can catch on live television and all the knockout matches obviously.

Watch the European Championships just as passionately as I do the World Cup and the US is never a participant there and so far it has never ruined the experience for me.

When the US does play in the World Cup, I do of course watch all their matches and pull for them to win and do as well as possible, but again - they are only a small fraction of the reasons that one should be inclined to want to watch.
WOLFDAC
It's a different WC this go round...along with the USA not making it...the Netherlands is not there...Ivory Coast is not there...Chile is not there...and Italy is not in the field....some big time teams are absent.
Ripper
Mexicans take out the Krauts 1-0.
Wolfer79
Lothar Matthus was Fox's top-billed World Cup studio analyst when they announced coverage plans back in April. They've now parted ways with him mid-tournament over "schedule conflicts," while adding Clarence Seedorf and Martin O'Neill. https://t.co/6bzUGThO4J
Ripper
Argentina struggling. Lost 3-0 to Croatia.
NatePait94
Belgium is the team I have to win it all. They are solid. Defence is suspect other than vertongen. But they are still solod.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
SniderFC
Mexico could surprise some problem and make a run. Their attack is as good as any other countries aruguably. I'm not sure how the seeding shakes out in the round of 16 yet but I'd personally love to see a Belgium v Mexico final!
NatePait94
That would be an exciting match-up
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
Rob McLamb
Staff
I generally follow Ireland, Scotland and England among the international teams. I will root for England, who looked great against Panama.

I am linking my tweet from it to save me some time from typing.

Twitter: @RobMcLamb
Ripper
Jesse Lingard looks like a world class player without Mourinho dragging him down.
WarrenPeace
I'll wait til England actually plays somebody.
Ripper
Postalwolf said:

I'll wait til England actually plays somebody.
You won't have to wait long. They play Belgium on Thursday at 2:00. Although, both teams have already qualified.
Ripper
Argentina with new life. Will play France in the Round of 16.
SniderFC
South Korea knocked out defending champs Germany with two goals in extra time. Mexico and Sweden advance out of that group.
Ripper
SniderFC said:

South Korea knocked out defending champs Germany with two goals in extra time. Mexico and Sweden advance out of that group.
Maybe Brazil will join Germany this afternoon?
Rob McLamb
Staff
Germany has been on a magnificent run that basically started in 2002 but it ended in this tournament. I tip my hat to them. I often wonder what it would be like for the USA team to compete at that level.
Ripper
Rob McLamb said:

Germany has been on a magnificent run that basically started in 2002 but it ended in this tournament. I tip my hat to them. I often wonder what it would be like for the USA team to compete at that level.
USA will not compete like Germany in our lifetimes. We just need to be top 2 in CONCACAF every cycle and try to make an occasional run to quarters or semi's. We are behind dozens of nations, even tiny nations, in talent.
Rob McLamb
Staff
Ripper said:

Rob McLamb said:

USA will not compete like Germany in our lifetimes. We just need to be top 2 in CONCACAF every cycle and try to make an occasional run to quarters or semi's. We are behind dozens of nations, even tiny nations, in talent.
USA is not even close. If we were a European nation we would never qualify for the World Cup. I am not even sure we would qualify for the Euros.
Rob McLamb
Staff
While they both have been knocked out I would love to see both Ronaldo and Messi in one more World Cup. To have them play in the same era, on rival teams no less, has been good fortune for soccer fans.

On another note, I am looking at England's potential path. Colombia to get to the quarterfinals, Sweden or Switzerland to get to the semis and then Spain, Russia, Croatia or Denmark to reach the final. This is as good as the Three Lions have had it in many, many years. It will be interesting to see if they can make a deep run.
Ripper
Argentina is in bad need of a post-Messi reboot. Most of their starters are in their early 30's. First, they need to hire a normal, highly qualified coach and technical director. The current guy is a clown. He looks like an extra from The Jersey Shore. Then they need to build the team around Paolo Dybala and Mauro Icardi, and usher in a new generation of players.
NatePait94
Ripper said:

Argentina is in bad need of a post-Messi reboot. Most of their starters are in their early 30's. First, they need to hire a normal, highly qualified coach and technical director. The current guy is a clown. He looks like an extra from The Jersey Shore. Then they need to build the team around Paolo Dybala and Mauro Icardi, and usher in a new generation of players.

You will see that in the next world cup but the current t roster is necessary. They are still the best starters for their country. Experience and skill.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.