Diana Shnaider NC State women's tennis 2023 summer tournaments

12,446 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Diana Shnaider (UTR 11.76) of Russia has signed with @PackWTennis and will join the Wolfpack for the fall of 2022. The 18-yo has an ITF juniors career-high ranking of #2 and WTA rankings of #249 in singles/#325 in doubles. Won girls' doubles titles at '21 #Wimbledon/'22 #AusOpen. https://t.co/bLRYhKUp76
GuerrillaPack
Wow, that's huge. Top 250 in the WTA on going to college is pretty rare. And the Pack women's squad was already loaded with what they had coming back, only losing Jaeda Daniel off of last years squad that made the elite 8, and replacing her with Alana Smith who is coming back from injury. This team will surely be top 5 pre-season and a legit contender to win the team national title this coming year, IMO. The rapid rise of the women's tennis team over the last 3-4 years has been incredible.

I only started following Wolfpack women's tennis and going to matches in the winter of 2020. It has quickly become one of my top 2 or 3 NC State teams/sports to follow. And the men's team is on the rise, and will probably be around 15-20 in the country this coming season.

You may be surprised if you haven't attended a match in person, but it's a very exciting format and atmosphere. There are 3 to 6 matches going on at a time, and you have the combination of individual and the team score going on at the same time. And the tennis complex at NC State is a beautiful venue as well, and the matches are free to attend.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
dj5377
This is an incredible recruiting get for the Pack! Let me just put 11.76 UTR ranking into perspective as best I can. UTR is considered a global rankings system, I don't know if it is perfect for college players because it depends on events that you play. I only say that because if it is perfectly accurate, Diana walks in as the number 1 college tennis player in the country. (And to be honest it seems like it's very accurate)

For reference, last years #1 player most of the year was Emma Navarro, she is currently 11.96 and went pro. #2 was Peyton Stearns, who won the singles national title with Texas. She is 11.78 and went pro.

Of players currently in college, universaltennis.com has the top 100 players on college right now listed on their site. #1 is C.Lee from Georgia tech at 11.19. C.Ma of Stanford was the national runner up to Stearns last year and she is 11.18. Drummy at Duke 11.08, Scotty at UNC 11.07, Alana Smith our #1 player coming off injury is 10.95. Rencheli who went to the national quarterfinals for us last year is 10.81. That's just a sprinkling of some of the elite players that I'm familiar with.

And Diana's rating is way above them. I think this could be the start of a incredibly special year for NC State women's tennis!
GuerrillaPack
dj5377 said:

This is an incredible recruiting get for the Pack! Let me just put 11.76 UTR ranking into perspective as best I can. UTR is considered a global rankings system, I don't know if it is perfect for college players because it depends on events that you play. I only say that because if it is perfectly accurate, Diana walks in as the number 1 college tennis player in the country. (And to be honest it seems like it's very accurate)

For reference, last years #1 player most of the year was Emma Navarro, she is currently 11.96 and went pro. #2 was Peyton Stearns, who won the singles national title with Texas. She is 11.78 and went pro.

Of players currently in college, universaltennis.com has the top 100 players on college right now listed on their site. #1 is C.Lee from Georgia tech at 11.19. C.Ma of Stanford was the national runner up to Stearns last year and she is 11.18. Drummy at Duke 11.08, Scotty at UNC 11.07, Alana Smith our #1 player coming off injury is 10.95. Rencheli who went to the national quarterfinals for us last year is 10.81. That's just a sprinkling of some of the elite players that I'm familiar with.

And Diana's rating is way above them. I think this could be the start of a incredibly special year for NC State women's tennis!
Wow, amazing that she could be #1 college player in the country. Thanks for the info.

Apparently Priska is leaving the program to turn pro, just announced a few days ago. So obviously I guess Diana was the replacement for Priska. Hate to see Priska go, but it looks like the team will be stronger with this development.

I wonder why a player like Diana would want to play in college, when she could make all this money (like Priska) on the pro circuit? I read some comments on social media about how it is apparently now very difficult (and costly) for Russian players to get VISAs and travel -- due to "sanctions" on Russians from this conflict in Ukraine. And you have many tournaments (like Wimbledon) outright banning Russians. Maybe that plays a big part in a decision by someone like Diana to come to college.

I find it absolutely unbelievable how Wimbledon and these other tennis associations have discriminated against Russians, and banned them from tournaments. I hope lawsuits are flying over this. I'm also amazed how few people are even talking about it, or protesting it. It's so incredibly and blatantly unjust.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfer79
NC State women's tennis has added Russian standout Diana Shnaider to its roster for the upcoming season, as announced by head coach Simon Earnshaw on Monday.

A native of Moscow, Shnaider comes to Raleigh after a decorated junior tennis career during which she achieved a personal-best ITF Juniors combined ranking of No. 2 and is currently No. 246 in singles and No. 325 in doubles in the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) rankings.

"We are extremely excited and proud to be able to add Diana to this year's team as the highest-ranked and most accomplished recruit in program history," said Earnshaw. "I've been really impressed with Diana's vision and plan for her game, as well as her openness and understanding of how we can help her grow as she moves toward a professional tennis career at the highest level. All credit to (assistant coach) David (Secker) for leading what has been a somewhat logistically-challenging process. Go Pack!"

Shnaider won a pair of Junior Grand Slam doubles titles, claiming victories at the 2021 Wimbledon and 2022 Australian Open events. She was also a finalist at the French Open in 2020. Shnaider also competed in multiple Junior Grand Slam singles draws, going as far as the semifinals at the 2021 French Open and the quarterfinals of the 2022 Australian Open.

Over the course of her career, Shnaider has won five ITF singles titles and most recently claimed a win at the ITF Istanbul tournament in May. In one of the biggest wins of her career, Shnaider emerged victorious in singles at the 2021 Villena J1 Trofeo Juan Carlos Ferrero. In doubles, she is a six-time winner on the ITF circuit. Shnaider also won the 2021 Orange Bowl, Eddie Herr and Banana Bowl doubles titles. In 2019, Shnaider represented Russia in the 2019 Junior Fed Cup finals as well.

Shnaider will join the Wolfpack for the start of the 2022-23 season and will be immediately eligible to play.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/8/29/diana-shnaider-joins-wolfpack-womens-tennis-program.aspx
GuerrillaPack
Just saw this....

https://instagr.am/p/Ch-5pnjPp_1

Quote:

Blue-chip recruit Maddy Zampardo (UTR 9.95 / #11 in the class of 2023 / #1 in Michigan at Tennis Recruiting) has verbally committed to @PackWTennis. Won doubles titles in 16s at the #OrangeBowl and in 18s at the USTA National Clay Court Championships + USTA National Doubles Championships.
Wolfer79
Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis beginning her@usopenJunior event today with her 1st round singles match upcoming on Court 14 and then as the top seed in doubles with Havlickova, 5th match on court 11 weather permitting. All can be seen streamed on ESPN+

Wolfer79
Wolfer79 said:

Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis beginning her@usopenJunior event today with her 1st round singles match upcoming on Court 14 and then as the top seed in doubles with Havlickova, 5th match on court 11 weather permitting. All can be seen streamed on ESPN+

Shnaider wins 6-3, 6-3
looks like seeded #7
Wolfer79
Top seeds Diana Shnaider
@PackWTennis
& Havlickova win in straight sets and beat the rain this evening to reach Round 2 in the #USOpen

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Shnaider wins in round of 16
2-6, 6-4, 6-2
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Shnaider won singles on Thursday to advance to semifinals

loses Friday in semifinals

wins doubles Thursday to advance to quarterfinal
Wolfer79
Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis finishes up a long day by reaching tomorrows Junior Girls Doubles Final at the @usopen
Diana wasn't able to advance in singles but has now made it to the Junior Girls Doubles Final in all 4Grand Slam events!!!

GuerrillaPack
I read it somewhere a day or so ago that one of the main reasons Diana chose the college route was because of the discrimination against Russians now all over the world - with them being banned from pro tournaments, etc. So that's been confirmed.

All these organizations are banning Russians from tournaments, and if allowing them to compete won't let them represent their country and won't put the Russian flag by their name on TV.

Well...I might just buy a Russian flag and take it to the matches this year (along with an NC State flag) to support Diana.
Wolfer79
After @PackFootball vs Charleston Southern catch @PackWTennis Diana Shnaider play for the @usopen Junior Girls Doubles Title on ESPN+ 3rd match on Court 11. Should be in the 3:30pm - 6pm time window
#USOpen

Wolfer79

Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis & Lucie Havlickova 2022 @usopen Junior Doubles Champions!!!

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
NC State women's tennis freshman Diana Shnaider won the third Junior Grand Slam doubles title of her career, claiming a victory at the 2022 US Open event on Saturday afternoon.

Shnaider and playing partner Lucie Havlickova were the top-seeded team in the Junior Girls' Doubles draw and beat Carolina Kuhl and Ella Seidel by a 6-3, 6-2 score in Saturday's final. The duo won all five of their matches, which started with the Round of 32 last Monday, in straight sets.

A native of Moscow, Russia, Shnaider also made an impressive run through the singles bracket. She reached the semifinal before eventually falling to her doubles partner.

Shnaider's win in doubles added to her tally of previous wins at the 2022 Australian Open and 2021 Wimbledon.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/9/11/womens-tennis-diana-shnaider-wins-us-junior-open-in-doubles.aspx
Wolfer79
Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis gets off to a great start at the ITF Pro Circuit $60K event in Berkeley, CA beating Pepperdine's Lisa Zaar in the singles 1st rd

Wolfer79
Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis beats WTA 173 Sachia Vickery to move into the Singles Quarterfinals at the ITF Pro Circuit $60K event at Berkeley, CA

Wolfer79
Big win for Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis beating WTA 117 Katie Volynets in 3 sets to move into the Singles Quarterfinals at the ITF Pro Circuit $80K event at Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
10/13 - Shnaider recorded the first top 100 win of her career, beating WTA #82 Panna Udvardy at the W60 Las Vegas in straight sets, 6-4 6-4..

10/15 - Shnaider moves into the finals at the W60 Las Vegas, and with the win moves to a new career high of 183 in the world: https://live-tennis.eu/en/wta-live-ranking
Wolfer79
Fantastic week for Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis at the ITF Pro Circuit $60K event in Las Vegas didn't quite have it in the Final today against WTA 102 Yuan losing in 3 sets but a first top 100 win vs Udvardy and moving into the top 200 WTA with a live ranking of 183!! #

Wolfer79
Great fight by Diana Shnaider
@PackWTennis
with leads in both sets but her run at the WTA 125 event in Colina ends in the Singles Quarterfinals to WTA #79 Danka Kovinic. Diana will move up to around #160 in next weeks WTA World rankings

Wolfer79
Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis drops her Singles Quarterfinal against WTA 71 Danka Kovinic 6-4,6-3 at WTA 125 Buenos Aires

Back to back Quarterfinals in WTA 125 events move Diana into the 150's in the WTA live world singles rankings!

Wolfer79
Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis advances to her 1st Singles Semifinal at the WTA 125 level with a straight sets win over WTA 176 Hailey Baptiste. Amazing run for Diana in South America now up to #136 in the WTA Live Rankings and more to come!!#

Wolfer79
Diana Shnaider
@PackWTennis
advances to her 1st WTA 125 level Singles Final in Montevideo, Uruguay with a 4th consecutive straight sets win this time over WTA 111 Kataryna Baindl.
Diana faces Leolia Jeanjean in tomorrows final at 4:30pm ET

Wolfer79
Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis wins her 1st WTA 125 Singles title at Montevideo, Uruguay beating WTA 120 Leolia Jeanjean 6-4,6-4 in the Final!! Amazing run for Diana winning all 5 matches in straight sets to move up to #109 in the WTA Live rankings

GuerrillaPack
109 in the WTA rankings...Diana is killing it. I know she's signed and on the roster...hope that means we have her for sure for the spring. I really think this team could win the team NCAA title this year.
Wolfer79
Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis moves into the Singles Quarterfinals at the ITF Pro Circuit $100K+ event in Dubai, winning a 3 set battle against Hungary's Timea Babos. Next match on Friday

Wolfer79
Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis drops her Singles Quarterfinal match today at the ITF Pro Circuit $100K+ event in Dubai, to close out an amazing Fall and finish 2022 ranked inside the top 110 WTA. See you Down Under to start out 2023!!!

Wolfer79
Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis will play her opening Singles Qualifying match at the @AustralianOpen tonight 5th match on Court 7, approx not before Midnight ET. Streaming should be available on ESPN+. 3rd straight Grand Slam event for @PackWTennis !!

Wolfer79
Wolfer79 said:

Diana Shnaider @PackWTennis will play her opening Singles Qualifying match at the @AustralianOpen tonight 5th match on Court 7, approx not before Midnight ET. Streaming should be available on ESPN+. 3rd straight Grand Slam event for @PackWTennis !!

Schaider win 7-5, 6-0
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.