NC State Hockey (Icepack) 2021-2022 Season - Schedule Released

19,711 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Icepack1
Icepack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GuerrillaPack said:

Icepack1, what are your general thoughts on the strength/performance of the Icepack so far? -- such as whether they are playing to their potential and their chances once they get to nationals.

I know you've indicated that you are very confident they will win the ACCHL title again this year. I feel really good about that too...but there have also been a couple of relatively close ACCHL games so far, including the 2nd game against unc-ch that was tied 2-2 in the 3rd. And the UVA game looked relatively close for most of the way until pulling away in the 3rd period.

And is Riley Johnson back yet? Hope they can stay injury free and play their best hockey at the end of the season and make a big showing at the year end tournaments.
In general, this team has done exactly what it's needed to so far. You don't achieve a #1 regional ranking by accident. We're undefeated (Liberty D1 game doesn't count in rankings) with the #3 strength of schedule in the southeast region. We've also done a good (not great) job with goal differential, and need to continue to do so, since our strength of schedule will not come close to matching Liberty and Florida Gulf Coast. We have five top 10 wins (Delaware(2), Kentucky(2), Penn State), with an average goal differential (AGD) of 3.2 in those games. We've also benefited from teams like UNC (13) and UNCW (20) being ranked, and we'll still play games against Cincinnati (14), Liberty (2), Louisville (16), and Virginia Tech (12). It would help us if UNC and UNCW stayed put, but I don't think their schedules are strong enough to keep them there. I'll be happy to share the raw data on how these rankings are calculated once they're posted on the ACHA website.

It's no secret that our biggest strength is our offense. Our power play is among the best in the country, and we get scoring from all four lines. That alone will make us a tough out for anyone. Eric Daniel has a emerged as a tremendous number 1 goalie, and Griffin Hunt and Isaac Tawyer are both very solid backups. Any of those guys can give us a chance to win. Then there's our defense. I won't lie - it's not great. For starters, we're extremely undersized and get pushed around a lot. Guys like Alex James, Victor Hugo, and Alex Robinson (moved to D this year) have played great, but they're all offensive defensemen. We have a tendency to get beat on breakaways and get trapped in our own zone, leading to turnovers. Our play in the defensive and neutral zones has been a point of emphasis for improvement, but we still have a lot of work to do. Teams like Florida Gulf Coast and UMary ate us alive last year because we couldn't clear the zone. We will get a boost with Philip Bailey (F) and Logan Todd (D) joining the team next semester. This will improve our depth and create some extra competition for lineup spots.

Regarding the ACCHL, nothing has really changed my opinions from a few weeks ago. It was a bad league then, and it's a bad league now. UVA is an awful team that just sat in their own zone and prayed the puck didn't go in their net. We had 65 shots, and on most days we probably get 10+ goals in that game. To that point, we need to do a better job of generating high danger changes and getting traffic in front of the net, but we have a tendency to play down to our ACCHL competition, and some of the effort plays just aren't there. UNC at least had a game plan, but we were also very sloppy all night. I will give UNC some credit - they're definitely a top half of the ACCHL team this year, and they've certainly improved over the last couple years. The problem is that they still can't actually generate any kind of offense against us. They've scored 5 goals against us this year, and every single one came off a bad turnover or weird bounce. We had a tough stretch of games in October, so I haven't been entirely surprised to see a bit of a drop off in play the last couple weeks. I'm fully confident that we'll be ready to go against Cincinnati and against UNC in a couple weeks. I don't think UNC is the 13th best team in the southeast region (they're certainly not better than Cincinnati), but that number will change the way we mentally prepare for that game, which is probably a good thing.

For Nationals, we'll give ourselves the best chance if we can snag an autobid and skip Regionals. We'll avoid the additional uncertainty of a couple extra games (i.e. Wake Forest in 2020) and we have a better chance to avoid the other top teams in group play. We're ranked #1 right now, so we have a good chance to make that happen if we keep winning. That said, every team we see at Nationals is going to be elite and well-coached. We'll have a speed advantage and a size disadvantage against most teams. We'll certainly need our power play to show up, our goaltending to be rock solid, and our defense to take care of the puck. Games like the one against Penn State are what we can expect. The two games against Liberty in January will be a great indicator of how well we can compete with these teams. There are probably 10 or so teams that could win it all, and I'd feel comfortable including us in that group. I think UMary is the favorite to repeat. They return most of last year's team, which bulldozed everyone. At least they don't get to play at home this year. I think if we can stay healthy and continue to improve, we certainly could be the last team standing.
GuerrillaPack
Icepack1 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Icepack1, what are your general thoughts on the strength/performance of the Icepack so far? -- such as whether they are playing to their potential and their chances once they get to nationals.

I know you've indicated that you are very confident they will win the ACCHL title again this year. I feel really good about that too...but there have also been a couple of relatively close ACCHL games so far, including the 2nd game against unc-ch that was tied 2-2 in the 3rd. And the UVA game looked relatively close for most of the way until pulling away in the 3rd period.

And is Riley Johnson back yet? Hope they can stay injury free and play their best hockey at the end of the season and make a big showing at the year end tournaments.
In general, this team has done exactly what it's needed to so far. You don't achieve a #1 regional ranking by accident. We're undefeated (Liberty D1 game doesn't count in rankings) with the #3 strength of schedule in the southeast region. We've also done a good (not great) job with goal differential, and need to continue to do so, since our strength of schedule will not come close to matching Liberty and Florida Gulf Coast. We have five top 10 wins (Delaware(2), Kentucky(2), Penn State), with an average goal differential (AGD) of 3.2 in those games. We've also benefited from teams like UNC (13) and UNCW (20) being ranked, and we'll still play games against Cincinnati (14), Liberty (2), Louisville (16), and Virginia Tech (12). It would help us if UNC and UNCW stayed put, but I don't think their schedules are strong enough to keep them there. I'll be happy to share the raw data on how these rankings are calculated once they're posted on the ACHA website.

It's no secret that our biggest strength is our offense. Our power play is among the best in the country, and we get scoring from all four lines. That alone will make us a tough out for anyone. Eric Daniel has a emerged as a tremendous number 1 goalie, and Griffin Hunt and Isaac Tawyer are both very solid backups. Any of those guys can give us a chance to win. Then there's our defense. I won't lie - it's not great. For starters, we're extremely undersized and get pushed around a lot. Guys like Alex James, Victor Hugo, and Alex Robinson (moved to D this year) have played great, but they're all offensive defensemen. We have a tendency to get beat on breakaways and get trapped in our own zone, leading to turnovers. Our play in the defensive and neutral zones has been a point of emphasis for improvement, but we still have a lot of work to do. Teams like Florida Gulf Coast and UMary ate us alive last year because we couldn't clear the zone. We will get a boost with Philip Bailey (F) and Logan Todd (D) joining the team next semester. This will improve our depth and create some extra competition for lineup spots.

Regarding the ACCHL, nothing has really changed my opinions from a few weeks ago. It was a bad league then, and and it's a bad league now. UVA is an awful team that just sat in their own zone and prayed the puck didn't go in their net. We had 65 shots, and on most days we probably get 10+ goals in that game. To that point, we need to do a better job of generating high danger changes and getting traffic in front of the net, but we have a tendency to play down to our ACCHL competition, and some of the effort plays just aren't there. UNC at least had a game plan, but we were also very sloppy all night. I will give UNC some credit - they're definitely a top half of the ACCHL team this year, and they've certainly improved over the last couple years. The problem is that they still can't actually generate any kind of offense against us. They've scored 5 goals against us this year, and every single one came off a bad turnover or weird bounce. We had a tough stretch of games in October, so I haven't been entirely surprised to see a bit of a drop off in play the last couple weeks. I'm fully confident that we'll be ready to go against Cincinnati and against UNC in a couple weeks. I don't think UNC is the 13th best team in the southeast region (they're certainly not better than Cincinnati), but that number will change the way we mentally prepare for that game, which is probably a good thing.

For Nationals, we'll give ourselves the best chance if we can snag an autobid and skip Regionals. We'll avoid the additional uncertainty of a couple extra games (i.e. Wake Forest in 2020) and we have a better chance to avoid the other top teams in group play. We're ranked #1 right now, so we have a good chance to make that happen if we keep winning. That said, every team we see at Nationals is going to be elite and well-coached. We'll have a speed advantage and a size disadvantage against most teams. We'll certainly need our power play to show up, our goaltending to be rock solid, and our defense to take care of the puck. Games like the one against Penn State are what we can expect. The two games against Liberty in January will be a great indicator of how well we can compete with these teams. There are probably 10 or so teams that could win it all, and I'd feel comfortable including us in that group. I think UMary is the favorite to repeat. They return most of last year's team, which bulldozed everyone. At least they don't get to play at home this year. I think if we can stay healthy and continue to improve, we certainly could be the last team standing.
Thanks for taking the time to make this detailed response. It's really helpful for me, as someone who is still learning the game - for example, I wasn't really aware of how we are lacking a little bit defensively. Hopefully once we get Johnson back and add the couple guys next semester, that will make a difference against really good competition -- such as the Penn State game where we didn't have Johnson.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Icepack1
Chris Solomon Leads Icepack to Tournament Sweep

NC State remained undefeated in Collegiate Hockey Divisional competition in the '21-'22 ACC ice hockey season this past weekend at the Saint James Sports Complex in Northern Virginia. The Wolfpack roster is loaded with talent, which was once again on display this past weekend versus three northern ACC rivals. Led by junior captain, Chris Solomon, NC State swept the ACC Competition beating Saint Joseph's 8-2, George Washington, 9-2, and University of Virginia, 5-2. Chris was on the ice more than 80 minutes earning 8 points (5 G, 3 A) adding to his league leading 39 points for the year (18 G, 11 A). Chris is also a leader on and off the ice earning him the Tournament MVP honors for the weekend. Chris is a currently a Business Major in his third year and hails from nearby Clayton, NC.

Congratulations to Chris, his teammates, Coach Healy, and the entire NC State family. Best of luck this weekend versus Cincinnati this weekend!
Icepack1
Icepack1
Pack stay #1 in the Southeast in this week's rankings (#2 overall nationally). Cincinnati up to #11 heading into this weekend's games. Coach was happy with practice Tuesday and feels good about this weekend. Everyone is back except Eric Todd.

Full M2 Rankings

Southeast Ranking #2:
Team (Rating)
#1 North Carolina State University (14.00)
#2 Liberty University (13.73)
#3 Florida Gulf Coast University (12.47)
#4 Penn State University (12.09)
#5 University of Kentucky (11.80)
#6 Miami University (11.40)
#7 Rowan University (11.39)
#8 University of Delaware (11.02)
#9 Ohio State University (10.97)
#10 Virginia Tech (10.47)
#11 University of Cincinnati (9.83)
#12 Indiana University (9.77)
#13 Rider University (9.36)
#14 University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (9.00)
#15 University of Louisville (8.76)
#16 University of Michigan (8.64)
#17 Ohio University (8.56)
#18 University of Pennsylvania (8.46)
#19 Millersville University (8.33)
#20 University of North Carolina-Wilmington (7.56)
Icepack1
Icepack1
Pack roll in the weekend opener. Pretty complete effort tonight, led by Z. Robinson and Szarek with 2 goals each. Riley Johnson scores in his first game back in a month. Lots of good tonight, a few things to clean up. We'll do it again tomorrow at 4:45pm.

Icepack1
Icepack1
Pack roll again and sweep a good Cincinnati team on the road. Johnson leads the way with 2 goals, safe to say he's looking just fine coming back from the shoulder injury. 6 other goal scorers on the day, which is always good. Perhaps the most notable stat of the weekend was 0 goals for Chris Solomon. He's our leading scorer for a reason, but it's extremely important to get consistent offense elsewhere. Pack will be off for the holiday week before wrapping up the semester against #14 North Carolina at PNC Arena on the 29th.

Icepack1
The #1 ranked Pack will wrap up the semester next Monday against UNC. Make your donation online in advance to secure a limited edition rally towel.

Icepack1
Icepack Sweep Cincinnati, Stay Ranked #1 Regionally and Move to #2 Nationally

Fresh off winning the ACCHL Fall Tournament, the top ranked Pack traveled to Ohio to take on the 11th ranked University of Cincinnati Bearcats. The matchup featured teams with two trips to the ACHA nationals to their credit in the last three years. The Icepack pounded the Bearcats over their two game set, 7-1 and 8-3. The Icepack entered into the game ranked #2 nationally and #1 regionally.

In game one the Icepack welcomed back Senior Riley Johnson from injury. After a tight game through most of the first period, Johnson and linemate Senior Parker Szarek, scored consecutive goals on the same shift to put the Icepack up 2-0 to close out the first. The Bearcats would get one back of their own to narrow the lead to 2-1 but the Icepack would reel off five consecutive goals by Junior Victor Hugo, Szarek's second, Sophomore Drew Bresingham and two third period tallies from Freshmen Zack Robinson. Eric Daniel notched the win turning aside 28 shots.

The second game featured more of the same as Johnson answered back an early Bearcat goal to tie the game at one a minute into the first. It was part of six unanswered goals scored by the Icepack. Johnson would add his second of the game midway through the first, while Freshmen Emery Oliver closed out the first period scoring. The Pack would add goals by the Senior Don Johnson, Freshmen Zack Robinson and Colby Pederson to take a 6-2 lead into the final frame. Matt Miller and Charles Monteith would close out the scoring in the third as Eric Daniel got the win in net. Garrett Auriene notched two assists on the night to lead the way on points.

The weekend marked the second time in a row that the Icepack skated with the target of being the top ranked team in the Southeast Region. The top two teams in each region after the final computer rankings in February advance directly to the National Finals in St. Louis, while the next twelve teams will tray to advance to nationals through a regional tournament, where two teams advance. Nationally the Icepack are ranked #2, a tenth of a point behind defending National Champion, University of Mary. The Icepack are in a stretch of 10 straight games against regionally ranked teams with #14 UNC-Chapel Hill up next and #2 Liberty University in a home and home to start second semester.
Icepack1
Pack stay #1 in the Southeast in this week's rankings (#2 overall nationally).

Full M2 Rankings

Southeast Ranking #3
#1 North Carolina State University
#2 Liberty University
#3 Florida Gulf Coast University
#4 Miami University
#5 Penn State University
#6 Rowan University
#7 University of Kentucky
#8 Indiana University
#9 Ohio State University
#10 University of Delaware
#11 Virginia Tech
#12 Rider University
#13 Millersville University
#14 University of Louisville
#15 University of Pennsylvania
#16 University of Cincinnati
#17 University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
#18 University of Michigan
#19 Ohio University
#20 Saint Joseph's University
Icepack1
#1 Pack wrap up the semeseter against #17 UNC at PNC Arena. ACCHL league points on the line tonight. Pack should win easily if they show up and play their game. Griffin Hunt gets the start in net.

Parking is free, entry will be on the east side, doors open at 6pm. $5 donation can be made at the door or online here. All advance donations are guaranteed an Icepack rally towel.

Wolfer79
Technician

On and off the ice, Parker Szarek has made his mark on @NCStateHockey.

Healy: "He just does everything the right way in terms of character, grit, work ethic. He's a great role model for the freshman when they come into the program."
@rachelmichele15
https://t.co/LIyPC2qFQ8
Icepack1
I don't usually post my own tweets here, but I threw some extra information in the thread below that may be useful.

Icepack1
A win is a win, but for the most part the Pack really stunk tonight. Grabbed a 3-0 lead in the first ten minutes (should've been 4-0 after Joey Davidson put a nifty backhand off the back bar but the ref missed it). Then we basically checked out until the final 3 minutes of the game, and then put up 3 more goals, and then still allowed a terrible goal with 0.5 seconds left. Nice for Zack Robinson to get his first hat trick, with the 3rd goal assisted by his brother. Colby Pederson will miss the next game against Liberty after getting ejected for throwing punches. Far from ideal, but hopefully we can plug in Philip Bailey (eligible next semester) to offset the loss.

We pick up 2 more points in ACCHL league play, but obviously tonight is far from the brand of hockey we need to play to complete for a national title. We've now won 11 in a row against UNC (better than losing 11 in a row I guess), so I can understand not putting together a full 60 minute effort, but we just look really disinterested for long stretches against these guys. Obviously the game is great to get lots of fans in the building, but that's about all we get out of it with such a huge talent gap.

Anyway, the Pack will return to action on Jan. 7 at home against #2 Liberty. Needless to say, this is huge game with major implications on our chances to snag an autobid to Nationals.

Icepack1
Zack Robinson hat trick powers Icepack to Governor's Cup win over UNC

Meeting for the third time this season, the NC State Icepack beat UNC-Chapel Hill 8-4 in the long awaited Governor's Cup at PNC Arena on Monday, Nov. 29.

"Overall it was a good game," defensive and special teams coach Eric Mura said. "I think our first and third periods really showed what we were doing. We kind of had a little bit of a slow second start as we were coming out of the first, but overall a decent game. I mean it's always fun to play Chapel Hill, especially at PNC and it's always fun to beat Chapel Hill."

With emotions still running high from the previous two matchups and the recent football game, it was an incredibly chippy event with multiple fights and penalties. A strong start allowed the Icepack to build an early lead, and despite the Tar Heels keeping it close in the second, NC State ran away with it late in the third.

"We came into the game, the coaches were talking about, it's a 62 minute game today because what happened the last two minutes of the football game." said Mura. "Anytime State beats Chapel Hill, it definitely carries over. So I'm glad that we both got wins."

The Icepack struck first, scoring less than five minutes into the game on a powerplay goal by senior forward Parker Szarek.

Scoring again on the powerplay, the Icepack doubled that lead midway through the first thanks to junior forward Chris Solomon and freshman forward Zack Robinson tacked on another goal to go up 3-1 just a couple of seconds later.

That multi-goal lead would not stay for long though, as the Tar Heels were able to capitalize on an Icepack penalty with seven minutes remaining in the first and made it 3-2 less than thirty seconds into the second.

The Icepack regained a two-goal lead just a few minutes later off of a senior forward Colby Pederson goal, but UNC kept it close the rest of the period, allowing just one more goal off of freshman forward Charles Monteith to bring the score 5-2.

The rest of the action took place late in the third. UNC grabbed one first a little over midway through the period, but two more goals from Zack Robinson, just a minute and thirty seconds apart, secured the win and the hat trick.

"We ended up outworking them in the third period," Zack Robinson said. "I mean it was a pretty close game for the first two periods but it was nice to just be able to come out in the third and beat it down towards the end."

His brother, senior forward Alex Robinson, joined in on the fun with another goal to raise the Icepack's lead to 8-3 with 19 seconds left and despite one more last-second Tar Heel goal, NC State came out with the 8-4 win.

The game wrapped up the Icepack's schedule for the calendar year, but the team will be back in January as it hosts Liberty University in game one of the Wagon Wheel Trophy Series on Jan. 7.
Icepack1
If there's one thing I'll never complain about, it's the Icepack media team. Zak Selwaeh and his crew constantly put out content that rivals many NCAA football and basketball programs. And they do it for free.

Icepack1
It hurts even more from this angle. Was well under the bar and the ref was right next to the goal.

Icepack1
A few schedule updates:

- Coastal Carolina has been completely removed from the schedule. This includes the home game on 2/4 and the 2/12 game at Fort Bragg. When the schedule was initially put together, CCU was supposed to play at the ACHA D2 level as a member of our ACCHL division, hence the 2 scheduled games. Shortly before the start of the season, they decided to move back to the ACHA D3 level (probably a wise decision). We beat them 3 times last season by a combined score of 38-2, so there's absolutely no point in playing them.

- A home game against ECU has been added on 2/4 (replaces CCU). This is mostly for the season ticket holders, who paid for a minimum of 13 home games. Playing ECU doesn't do anything for us either from a competition standpoint, but they're a bit better than CCU and it should get some fans in the building. It sounds like they're going to try to actually play hockey this time and not just start fights the whole game. Since ECU is not an ACHA team (they play in the CHF, completely separate league that is basically equivalent to ACHA D3), this game won't count towards our ranking.

- The home game against Wake Forest, initially scheduled for 11/5 and replaced with UNC due to player availability issues (i.e. frat event), will not be made up. The initial idea was to slot them in on 2/4, but that didn't work on their end. We'll play them once in Winston-Salem on 2/5. Since they're not very good this year, that should be plenty.

As of now, I don't anticipate any further changes to the schedule. We'll get #2 Liberty (x2), #14 Louisville (x2), and #11 Virginia Tech to start the semester, and Coach Healy is content to play just one game two of the final three weekends leading up to the ACCHL Tournament. The Pack will be at home for six consecutive Fridays beginning 1/7, so should be a lot of fun.
Icepack1
Icepack will be recognized during the men's basketball game tomorrow. Make some noise for the boys if you're in attendance.
Icepack1
No Change at the Top as the Semester Nears a Close

Logan, Utah: As the semester break nears, teams continue to jockey for position in the Men's Division 2 Regional Rankings. While the #1 teams remain the same, there was some movement, especially in the Southeast Region.

In the Northeast, Merrimack College and Bryant University swapped spaces, with the Warriors moving up in the coveted #10 slot, which would give them an automatic bid to the Regionals if they can hold on to that seed. The Central Region continues to see changes at the top half as Sault College takes of the #2 spot as the Cyclones of Iowa State fall to #4. The WCCHA leads all Central leagues with seven teams in the Top 20.

Defending National Champion, University of Mary, enjoys that largest margin of the four #1 seeds, between themselves as the #2 seed, Dakota College. The region saw very little movement in the rankings with MSU-Denver moving up to #12 and Montana State and San Diego State flipping the #7 and #8 slots. Lastly, the Southeast region, the University of Delaware hopped up two spots to #8 and University of Cincinnati got back into the Regionals picture by moving three spaces to #13.

There will be one more ranking period before the semester break, including all games through Sunday, December 12th. This ranking will also begin to remove teams that are not in good standing (missing required paperwork or failure to pay dues. with the ACHA.

Full M2 Rankings

Southeast Top 20:
#1 North Carolina State University
#2 Liberty University
#3 Florida Gulf Coast University
#4 Miami University
#5 Penn State University
#6 Rowan University
#7 University of Kentucky
#8 University of Delaware
#9 Indiana University
#10 Virginia Tech
#11 Ohio State University
#12 Rider University
#13 University of Cincinnati
#14 University of North Carolina
#15 University of Louisville
#16 University of Pennsylvania
#17 Millersville University
#18 Ohio University
#19 University of Michigan
#20 University of NC-Wilmington
Icepack1
Ideally the Pack will skip Regionals and go directly to Nationals this year, but still some good information below. Most significant note is that 12 teams will be invited to Regionals starting this year (10 in previous years).

ACHA ANNOUNCES SITES AND DATES FOR 2022 ACHA MEN'S DIVISION II REGIONALS

TROY, MI (Dec. 13, 2021) The American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA), the governing body for non-NCAA men's and women's hockey in the United States, today announced the sites and dates for the 2022 ACHA Men's Division II Regionals.

The 2022 Men's Division II Regional sites and dates are:

WEST REGIONAL Boulder, Colorado
February 24, 25 and 26, 2022
(Host: Metropolitan State University Denver)

NORTHEAST REGIONAL Keene, New Hampshire
February 25, 26 and 27, 2022
(Host: Keene State University)

SOUTHEAST REGIONAL Columbus, Ohio
(Host: Tri-State Collegiate Hockey League)

CENTRAL REGIONAL La Crosse / Onalaska, Wisconsin
(Host: La Crosse Sports Commission and Onalaska Omni Center)

The top two seeds from each region following the final Men's Division II regular season rankings will bypass the Regional and receive an automatic berth in the 2022 ACHA National Championships.

Each Regional will consist of 12 teams. Teams seeded #3 through #10 will receive an invitation to their respective Regional. Teams seeded #11 through #14 will be filled by conference auto bids. In the event that any of the conference auto bids are not filled (i.e., team has already qualified, unable to accept bid, less than four eligible conferences, etc.), the position(s) in the Regional will be filled by the next highest ranked team(s) within that Region as an At-Large bid.

The game schedule format for each Regional will be:

Regional Day 1

#7 seed vs. #14 seed
#8 seed vs. #13 seed
#9 seed vs. #12 seed
#10 seed vs. #11 seed

Regional Day 2

#3 seed vs. Lowest remaining seed
#4 seed vs. 2nd Lowest remaining seed
#5 seed vs. 3rd Lowest remaining seed
#6 seed vs. 4th Lowest remaining seed

Regional Day 3

Highest remaining seed vs. Lowest remaining seed
2nd Highest remaining seed vs. 2nd Lowest remaining seed
Icepack1
Pack slip to #2 in the rankings, with a razor thin margin behind #1 Liberty. We'll have a chance to reclaim the top spot with 2 games against the Flames Jan. 7th & 8th. The rest of the rankings are a bit of a mess with the ACHA dropping teams who are not in good standing with the league (dues not fully paid, games not logged, other administrative gaps, etc.). The rankings will renormalize; this is more of a wake up call for teams to get everything in order.

Men's Division 2 Releases Final Rankings of Semester

Liberty takes over top spot in Southeast as semester comes to an end

Logan, UT.- The final rankings of the semester in Men's Division 2 was released today. The rankings saw significant change, due to teams being removed for various missing requirements to be in good standing. All the teams that were removed will be reinserted into the rankings when they complete the steps to be back in good standing.

The biggest change was found in the Southeast region, where Liberty University assumed the top spot for the first time this year. The previous four rankings had North Carolina State University ranked as #1. With only a .11 difference between them, it sets up a huge two game set between LU and NCSU, in early January. Iowa State University also rose this week, moving back into the #2 spot, behind Lindenwood University. Gustavus Adolphus College continues to impress, as they continue to be in the Top 5 in the Central, finishing the semester at #3, just .11 behind the Cyclones.

The rankings will return on January 13th and will continue weekly until the final rankings are released the week of February 13th. This ranking will determine the teams that will go to the ACHA Men's Division 2 postseason.
Icepack1
The #2 ranked Pack return to action this weekend with a massive pair of games against #1 Liberty (home Friday, away Saturday). Can go a long way torwards locking up an auto-bid to Nationals with a good performance this weekend.

Icepack1
The Icepack are coming to a TV near you! Beginning this semester, newly launched WRAL Sports+ will air all Icepack home games directly from the PackTV stream. Starting next season, the broadcast will be enhanced and monetized. Needless to say, this is an enormous development for the program, as it will help to further grow the fanbase and be a significant new source of funding for the team.

On TV, WRAL Sports Plus can be received over the air with an antenna on Channel 34. It also can be streamed on WRALSportsFan.com, the WRALSportsFan app and on the WRAL streaming apps for Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV and Samsung Smart TVs. The channel also will be available soon on Spectrum cable.

CBC Launches Local Sports TV Station, WRAL Sports+

Capitol Broadcasting is launching a 24/7 local sports television station in 2022. WRAL Sports + will be central North Carolina's home for live and local sports. Area sports fans can turn to WRAL Sports+ for everything from live sports talk (from our friends at 99.9 The Fan) to live events.

WRAL Sports+ will carry NC Central University Basketball, Durham Bulls Baseball, NC Courage/NCFC Soccer, HighSchoolOT Live and much more!

"Capitol Broadcasting has been intertwined with local and regional sports for decades and this is the next step in the company's continued commitment to area athletes and fans," said WRAL-TV Integrated Sales Manager Brad Schaible.

The station launched on January 4, 2022. Full market coverage is available over the air and on OTT and beginning in February will also be available on Spectrum cable. The WRAL Sports+ team will provide 8 hours of live, local sports talk each day from the new audio/video studio.

"Television, radio, and digital team members have been collaborating on the launch of the station since the end of the summer," explained Schaible. "It has been a very collaborative process as Creative, Engineering, Operations, Sales, and Digital staffers have combined their unique knowledge sets to do something truly unique launch a new television station."

Icepack1
The #2 Icepack are back in action with a home and home series against #1 Liberty to kick off the 2nd semester. Needless to say, these games are absolutely massive. Just a split will put us in a great position to lock up one of the 2 Southeast region autobids to Nationals. But of course we'd like to win both games and take home "The Old Wagon Wheel" trophy. Folks, if you haven't been to a game yet this season, tonight would be the time to start. Or if you've just been to games against UNC, come see the Pack against a quality opponent. The games are so much more entertaining and well played - I promise you won't be disappointed. Doesn't get any better than #1 and #2.

Icepack1
Tough loss tonight. Pack fell behind early and had to play catch-up the whole night. Had a lot of great chances, especially late, but Liberty has a very good goalie. Coach feels good about tomorrow.

Very well attended game; let's see if we can keep that going for the next 5 Fridays (and next Saturday).

Icepack1
The Pack will head up to Lynchburg for a rematch with the top ranked Flames tonight. Free stream here.

Icepack1
Pack bounce back and take down the top ranked Flames on the road. Solomon leads the way with 2 goals. Complete effort tonight, played like a team that can win it all. Since we split the weekend series, The Old Wagon Wheel trophy was decided in a shootout, which Liberty won in 6 rounds, 2-1. Eric Daniel was great in net, but Dakota Cyhaniuk is just really tough to beat. The Pack will be back home next weekend for 2 games against #16 Louisville.

Icepack1
Icepack1
Get great seats at a great price to watch the Canes this Thursday, and support the Icepack in the process.

Icepack1
Icepack1
First of two home games against #16 Louisville tonight. This is a team we should be able to handle as long as we play our game.

Save 20% on the remaining 6 home games with the Playoff Push Pass.

Icepack1
Pack got the job done tonight. Some surprise contributions from the 4th line, as Alex Fong leads the way with his first 2 goals of the season. Eric Todd also gets his first. Eric Daniel was terrific in net. Louisville's goalie also played very well; we could've easily had another 3-4 goals. The rankings are what they are, but there's no way Louisville is the 16th best team in the southeast region; they're significantly better than UNC (13th), probably better than Cincinnati (14th) and won twice at Ohio State (12th). We'll need to be good again tomorrow to get the win.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.