NC State Hockey (Icepack) 2021-2022 Season - Schedule Released

19,705 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Icepack1
Icepack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No, this is not Penn State's NCAA D1 team, this is their ACHA D2 team, same level as us. ACHA is the most prominent non-varsity collegiate hockey association, and has 3 divisions for men, and 2 for women. Here's why this game matters:

Every season, 16 teams at the D2 level qualify for the ACHA National Tournament, 4 teams from each of the 4 geographical regions; Southeast (our region), Northeast, Central, and West. The geography of who is in what region is a bit weird, but essentially it roughly looks like this:
- Northeast: basically anyone in New York and New England
- Southeast: anyone else in the eastern time zone who isn't in the Northeast region (this includes a team like Penn State).
- Central: basically anyone in Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and some of Michigan.
- West: everyone else

Starting in roughly early November, the ACHA begins releasing computerized rankings for each region. These are based on winning percentage, goal differential, and strength of schedule. At the end of the season, the top 2 teams in each region receive an automatic bid to Nationals. Teams ranked 3-12 in each region qualify for a separate Regional tournament, which yields the final 2 teams from each region, making a total of 16 teams.

In 2019, the Pack qualified for Regionals for just the 2nd time in program history as the #8 seed. As you may recall, we did not lose a game in the regular season that year, but because we played a very weak schedule, we relied almost entirely on blowing out most of our opponents, and probably would have missed out with a couple losses. That said, the team did earn its ranking, dispatching #5 Rider and #3 Liberty to secure a spot at Nationals for the first time.

Getting to Nationals got us on the radar of some of the better programs in the country, which has allowed us to schedule games against big time opponents over the last couple seasons such as Florida Gulf Coast (4 time national champs), Liberty, MSU Denver, UMass-Lowell, Delaware, Cincinnati, Penn State, and New Hampshire (future opponent). Our improved strength of schedule allowed us to finish #4 in the Southeast region in 2020 and qualify for Nationals (modified format) as the #8 overall seed in 2021. It has also allowed us to further monopolize the best available talent in NC. We are now able to attract many players who in the past would've likely otherwise played for a small NCAA D3 team up north.

Friday's game is significant for 2 reasons:
1 - it is very rare for us to have a prominent opponent from up north come to our barn. We had Liberty come down here for the first time last season. These teams have so many more options to play good competition from a geographical standpoint, so it is vital for us to build relationships with these programs such that they believe a trip down to NC is a valuable use of time and money that will strengthen their program.
2 - this season, it's pretty much a given that we will at least qualify for Regionals. We have our eye on getting one of the two automatic bids for Nationals. In order to accomplish this, we need to beat the best teams on our schedule. Getting an auto bid also further elevates our program on the National stage.

We could beat UNC 100 times in a row and it would not come close to moving the needle on our program. For the Icepack, playing UNC is essentially the football equivalent of playing an FCS team. This applies to pretty much every other team in the ACCHL as well, with maybe one or two exceptions. There's a reason we don't play teams like Duke, Charlotte, and Elon anymore (hint: very bad at hockey). Playing UNC does draw fans, which in turn makes money for the program, but playing them (3 times this season) absolutely torpedos our strength of schedule. That's why it's vital that we not only beat them, but blow them out every single time. Is it fun to beat them? Absolutely. But it does nothing for us from a competition standpoint. Our players come here to play against other talented teams and compete for titles.

We will win our 4th consecutive ACCHL title this year, and while such an accomplishment is certainly worth celebrating, it's relatively low on the list of team goals. The Icepack have the talent to win a national title this year. Games like the one on Friday are what will help us get there.
GuerrillaPack
Icepack1 said:

We could beat UNC 100 times in a row and it would not come close to moving the needle on our program. For the Icepack, playing UNC is essentially the football equivalent of playing an FCS team. This applies to pretty much every other team in the ACCHL as well, with maybe one or two exceptions. There's a reason we don't play teams like Duke, Charlotte, and Elon anymore (hint: very bad at hockey). Playing UNC does draw fans, which in turn makes money for the program, but playing them (3 times this season) absolutely torpedos our strength of schedule. That's why it's vital that we not only beat them, but blow them out every single time. Is it fun to beat them? Absolutely. But it does nothing for us from a competition standpoint. Our players come here to play against other talented teams and compete for titles.

We will win our 4th consecutive ACCHL title this year, and while such an accomplishment is certainly worth celebrating, it's relatively low on the list of team goals. The Icepack have the talent to win a national title this year. Games like the one on Friday are what will help us get there.
Thanks for that response. I started following the Icepack around 2018, so I'm still really in the process of learning about hockey in general, and the history of the program, etc. It's been awesome for me as a fan to follow them closely for these 3-4 years and especially see the Icepack win the the ACCHL regular season and tournament championships in the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons. From what I see on Wikipedia, NC State has only won the ACCHL tournament championship 3 times since 1996 (in 2011, 2019, and 2020) and 4 times if you count the tourney win last season (with only 2 teams in the conference competing).

So, from a historical perspective, just winning the ACCHL championship is a big deal. It's amazing to me that the program has dramatically elevated its goals in such a short period of time. Obviously that's a great thing for the program.

I do hope you continue to play UNC at least 2 times a year, even if they happen to be significantly inferior competition in some of those years.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Icepack1
Always happy to explain this stuff. I didn't really follow the national picture until 2018 when we started to have success at that level, and I'll admit it definitely took some digging to figure it out. I've been following the team since 2010, and until 2019, the goal pretty much was to win the ACCHL title. We had the big upset win over Maryland to win in 2011, but for some reason couldn't get over the hump for a while after that. Felt like we should've won a couple during the 4 year stretch of regular season titles (2013-2016), so it was more of a sense of relief to win in 2019. And to be fair, the teams we beat in 2019 (Virginia) and 2020 (Wake Forest) both went to Regionals those seasons, so those titles were certainly well earned from hard fought battles. It probably won't be like that this year. Virginia Tech is really the only team that's anywhere close to us, and it's still not much of a contest. The rest of the league is just so bad this year, so we'll play the minimum required ACCHL games and move on with life. A bit beside the point, but we definitely won the title in 2003 as well; not sure what's up with the Wikipedia page.

I can appreciate that playing UNC has a role in the success of this program. As I said before, it draws a lot of fans, which brings in money. The problem for us is that we actually bring in more money from 1300 fans at WCC than from 5000 at PNC, so the benefits are limited. It would seem likely that we'll continue to play them 3 times a year for the time being, since we'll want a game at WCC, therefore they get one at their barn in Hillsborough, plus we'll keep the Governor's Cup matchup at PNC I would think. They wanted an additional PNC game, which we shot down unless they wanted to just move the Hillsborough game. 4 times is definitely too many. As long as we're in the same ACCHL division, it'll be at least twice per season.

You're absolutely right that we've elevated our program goals very quickly. Team leadership has done of phenomenal job of formally capitalizing on the success of the 2019 season to build a national profile. The Penn State game is both a well-earned result from that work and an important step in continuing that process.
Icepack1
ACC M2 PLAYER OF THE WEEK - CHRIS SOLOMON

NC State has started the '21-'22 ACC ice hockey season 6-0 in Divisional competition. The Wolfpack roster is loaded with talent, which was once again on display this past weekend versus the visiting Wildcats of Kentucky. Led by junior captain, Chris Solomon, NC State swept a very good and physical Kentucky team (6-2, 8-5), Chris earned 8 points (5 G, 3 A) over the weekend earning a league leading 20 points for the year (12 G, 8 A). Off the ice, Chris is a Business Major and hails from nearby Clayton, NC.

Congratulations to Chris, his teammates, Coach Healy, and the entire NC State family. Best of luck this weekend versus Penn State and 5 upcoming ACC league games in early November!
Icepack1
Big game day vs. Penn State. Should be a good one with significant postseason implications. Riley Johnson still out with shoulder injury and Alex James serving one game suspension from last week's DQ, but we have plenty of depth to work with. Wear white, be loud.

GuerrillaPack
Huge comeback win. Were down 2-0 after the 2nd period.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Icepack1
Absolutely unreal comeback win tonight for the Pack, scoring 3 unanswered goals in the 3rd period to wipe out a 2-0 deficit. A very well played, fast, physical, clean game between two elite teams. Without a doubt the best game I've seen in person at this level. They were able to push us around early on, but we had them absolutely gassed by the end and won it with our speed and conditioning. Pack will be back in action next Friday at home against Wake Forest.
Icepack1
UNC-Chapel Hill Replaces Wake Forest on 11/5

Due to a player availability issue for Wake Forest, the Icepack will now be playing Chapel Hill. This replaces the 1/29/22 game at the Orange County Sports Complex. The make-up date for Wake Forest has not been set. Tickets purchased for the 11/5 Wake Forest game or the 1/29 UNC game at Orange County Sports Complex will be honored.

Tickets
GuerrillaPack
Icepack1 said:

Due to a player availability issue for Wake Forest, the Icepack will now be playing Chapel Hill. This replaces the 1/29/22 game at the Orange County Sports Complex. The make-up date for Wake Forest has not been set. Tickets purchased for the 11/5 Wake Forest game or the 1/29 UNC game at Orange County Sports Complex will be honored.

Tickets
I'm a little surprised unc-ch would agree to eliminating their home game at the OCSC, to replace it with another away game against the Icepack at the WCC. I guess they figure they won't lose much in the way of ticket sale revenue by doing that?
Icepack1
GuerrillaPack said:

Icepack1 said:

Tickets
I'm a little surprised unc-ch would agree to eliminating their home game at the OCSC, to replace it with another away game against the Icepack at the WCC. I guess they figure they won't lose much in the way of ticket sale revenue by doing that?
We're cutting them a check for half the revenue and they get last change. They'll still get more money than they would from a game in Hillsborough. And given the recent attendance numbers, we do pretty well with half as well.
Icepack1
It's a 2 game week!

UNC - Friday, Nov. 5, 7:45pm (Wake Competition Center) - Tickets

UNCW - Sunday, Nov. 7, 6:30pm (Crown Coliseum, Fayetteville) - Tickets

GuerrillaPack
Icepack1, any word on if Riley Johnson will back in the lineup for the game this Friday?
Icepack1
GuerrillaPack said:

Icepack1, any word on if Riley Johnson will back in the lineup for the game this Friday?
I haven't heard any updates, but I can't imagine them rushing him back for a pair of pretty easy games this weekend, unless he's 100% ready to go. It will be nice to get Alex James back though.
Icepack1
Spoke to the ticket office yesterday. Sounds like the doors will stay open through the end of the 1st period of our game, so don't feel obligated to be there at 3pm if your schedule does not allow. 2 full hockey games is a large time commitment.

Icepack1
Pederson's Late Goal Caps Third Period Rally

Trailing Penn State 2-0 entering the third The Icepack mounted a furious third period comeback to knock off the Nittany Lions 3-2 at Wake Competition Center on Friday night.

Penn Stat'e Ryan long tallied a pair of goals in the first and second off of Joe DeLaurentis feeds. The Ice Lions limited put NC State on ice offensively for the first two periods, holding the potent Icepack attack to just 12 shots through two stanzas.

The third period was a different story as the relentless Icepack attack returned for the third. A Chris Solomon slapper from the slot got the Icepack back on track offensively five minutes into the third off the Icepack's 22nd power play goal of the season. The Icepack leveled the score at two on a 5x3 goal by Colby Pederson. The Icepack continued their assault on Penn State's goal but stayed level until Pederson got one by Penn State goalie Alex Gadowski, on a nifty move after a seam pass from Solomon with 1:50 left to give the Icepack the win. NC State outshot Penn State 17-7 in the third to turn the tables on the Ice Lions.

Eric Daniel turned aside 24 shots to earn his fourth win on the season. The Icepack moved to 7-1 on the year and 7-0 in ACHA M2 play.
Icepack1
Icepack1
Game day vs. UNC. Final home game of the semester. Pack smoked the Heels 10-3 back in September, and I wouldn't expect this one to be much different. UNC has won 7 of 10 since the first matchup, but none of their wins are against anyone good, and the 3 losses are disastrous (High Point, Coastal Carolina, and Wilmington [allowed 2 goals in final 12 seconds]).

Tonight will be the first ACCHL league game for the Pack, so the focus should be on getting the 2 points and staying healthy over the next couple weeks before the big road trip to Cincinnati. Alex James is back after serving his 1 game suspension. I believe Riley Johnson is still out with the shoulder injury.

Come on out for the fun!

Icepack1
The Pack were not great tonight, but a win is a win. Drew Bresingham with the shorthanded winner, as the Pack net 3 in the final 10 minutes. Largely a case of UNC's goalie keeping them in it, but we really should've put it away early. Isaac Tawyer looked good for us in his debut between the pipes. We definitely have a battle for number two. All three guys will get a game at the Russell Tourney next weekend. Sounds like Riley's shoulder is coming along; we were also missing Eric Todd and Alex Fong tonight. The hope is to have everyone back for Cincinnati in two weeks. Up next, UNC Wilmington at Fayetteville's Crown Coliseum on Sunday. Should be fun.

GuerrillaPack
Would have preferred more of an easy, blow out victory...but that was a great hockey game tonight.

It would be interesting to know what our current win streak against unc-cheat is. I've been to every game against them since 2018 (all wins)...so that's at least 7 or 8 in a row. And there was probably a streak of several wins in a row in 2016-2017. So maybe a streak of 10-12.

Icepack1
Icepack1
GuerrillaPack said:

Would have preferred more of an easy, blow out victory...but that was a great hockey game tonight.

It would be interesting to know what our current win streak against unc-cheat is. I've been to every game against them since 2018 (all wins)...so that's at least 7 or 8 in a row. And there was probably a streak of several wins in a row in 2016-2017. So maybe a streak of 10-12.

Last night made 10 straight and 19 of 22. Last loss was a 6-2 defeat on Nov. 12, 2016 at Raleigh Iceplex. Was not a fun night. So many injuries that semester. Lost at home to Wake and Duke(!) as well.

UNC actually had a few really talented players from 2015-2017. They never had the depth to match, but their first line could compete just fine. Haven't really seen any skill guys from them since then though.
GuerrillaPack
Icepack1 said:

Last night made 10 straight and 19 of 22. Last loss was a 6-2 defeat on Nov. 12, 2016 at Raleigh Iceplex. Was not a fun night. So many injuries that semester. Lost at home to Wake and Duke(!) as well.

UNC actually had a few really talented players from 2015-2017. They never had the depth to match, but their first line could compete just fine. Haven't really seen any skill guys from them since then though.
10 in a row...nice. Thanks for verifying that. Please don't let that streak end in three weeks on Nov 29th at the Governor's Cup at PNC.

This game really seemed like anybody's game the entire way until the IcePack got a couple goals towards the end of the 3rd. Hope on Nov 29th you crush them again, similar to the first game of the season this year.

Highlights...

Icepack1
Game day vs. UNCW in Fayetteville. Should be fun to see the boys in a new building, hopefully won't be a stressful game. No stream for this game unfortunately. Final game before 1st rankings released this week.

Icepack1
Pack got the job done today. Gave up a really fluky goal early (was just that kind of weekend), but rolled the rest of the way. Came out much sharper than Friday, but still some stuff to clean up. A neat building to play in, although not a ton of people hung around from the Marksmen game. Hopefully we covered the ref costs and picked up a few fans.

Pack will be in Virginia next weekend to face St. Joseph's, George Washington, and Virginia in the Russell Tourney. All of those teams are bad, so should just be a tuneup for Cincinnati the following weekend. We'll also get the first rankings of the season this week, so should be interesting to see where we end up.

Icepack1
Icepack1
First of three in Springfield. Should be able to pick up 6 points in ACCHL play this weekend without too much trouble. No stream unfortunately.

Icepack1
Another slow start, but the Pack take care of business to start off the weekend and pick up 2 points in ACCHL play. Solomon and Miller lead the way with 2 goals each. Back in action tomorrow against George Washington.

Icepack1
Men's Division 2 Release First Rankings of 21/22 Season

First M2 Ranking Sees some Familiar Faces and some New Ones.

Logan, Utah-(11/12/21): The American Collegiate Hockey Association has released the first Men's Division 2 Rankings for the 2021/2022 Season. The rankings include games played through November 7th. This will be the 3rd year that Men's Division 2 will be using computer rankings provided by USHSO. The ranking is combination of three aspects: Strength of Schedule, Goal Differential, and Winning Percentage.

The release finds the defending National Champion, University of Mary, in first place in the West Region and the overall top rating in the Division. Right behind them, on the strength of a 10-0 start has the University of Denver in the #2 slot, seeking to unseat the Marauders, on top of the region.

North Carolina State University has seen its program rise from needing league autobids to make the regionals, to securing two national appearances in three years. The Icepack now has another milestone to add; holding of the #1 spot in the Southeast for the first time ever. Following NCSU are the perennial powerhouses of the region with teams like Liberty, FGCU, and Penn State positioning themselves for a run at the top spot.

In the Central, Last year's Nationals runner up, Iowa State finds itself starting out at the top of the hill. The Cyclones enjoy a small lead over the team they knocked out in the National Semifinals, Lindenwood University. Two teams from the WCCHA find themselves in new territory as Gustavus Adolphus and University of Minnesota find themselves ranked #3 and #5 respectively.

Finally, 2019 National Semifinalist, University of Massachusetts-Amherst, has come back strong after missing last season due to COVID restrictions. The Minutemen have the second highest rating nationally, behind only University of Mary. The Top Ten for the region is full of long time successful programs with National asperations.

Rankings will now be done weekly until the semester break. The next ranking will include all games through Nov 14th and will be posted at their regular weekly time of Thursdays at 12pm EST.

Full M2 Rankings

Southeast Ranking #1:
#1 North Carolina State University
#2 Liberty University
#3 Florida Gulf Coast University
#4 Miami University
#5 Penn State University
#6 University of Kentucky
#7 Ohio State University
#8 Rowan University
#9 Rider University
#10 University of Delaware
#11 University of Pennsylvania
#12 Virginia Tech
#13 University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
#14 University of Cincinnati
#15 Indiana University
#16 University of Louisville
#17 University of Michigan
#18 Millersville University
#19 Ohio University
#20 University of North Carolina-Wilmington

Icepack1
Icepack1
Pack got going a bit quicker today and pulled away with a 5 goal 3rd. Alex Robinson leads the way with a hat trick, notching his 100th career point. Pack will finish up the weekend tomorrow morning against UVA.

Icepack1
A bit late with this. Pack up 2-1 after 1. Live stream on Instagram (ncstatehockey).

Icepack1
Pack got the job done today, but it's just absurd that this game was even remotely close. Outshot the Cavs 65-25, but sometimes hockey is weird like that. Pack pick up 6 points in ACCHL play on the weekend and pull into a 3 way tie in the Carolina East division with UNC and Wilmington, although we have games in hand on both. The #1 ranked Pack will travel to #14 Cincinnati for a pair of games next weekend, before wrapping up the semester against UNC at PNC Arena on the 29th.

Icepack1
NC State Sweeps Three Game Weekend for Tournament Title

NC State Hockey maintained their perfect season record through a three game set at the 2021 ACC Annual Fall Hockey Classic Tournament.

The Icepack won their first game against the Hawks of Saint Joseph's on Friday night. NC State avenged a loss in their last meeting prior to COVID-19, by wearing down the Hawk's stingy neutral zone trap to run away in the third period, 7-2. On Saturday night, the Icepack dominated the Capitol Division Leading Colonials of George Washington, 9-2. In Sunday's first matchup of the day, NC State completed the sweep by besting Virginia, 5-2. This was the second consecutive Fall Tournament Title for the Icepack. The Mountaineers of West Virginia also posted a perfect record for the tournament, 3-0, earning enough points for the Silver Medal. The Hokies of Virginia Tech finished 2-0-1, to earn enough tournament points for the Bronze Medal.

Congratulations to NC State, West Virginia, and Virginia Tech and all the ACC M2 Member Teams for making this year's ACC Annual Fall Classic a complete success among the challenges of an ongoing pandemic and a late ice rink contract cancellation. A special shout out to all the parents and fans that attended the weekend tournament as well, many driving from great distances. Also, a huge thank you to Kyra and Tanner at The Saint James for accommodating our late request for a substantial amount of weekend ice. Lastly, but certainly not least, a special thank you to all the league volunteers who without their time and services, this tournament would not have been possible.
GuerrillaPack
Icepack1, what are your general thoughts on the strength/performance of the Icepack so far? -- such as whether they are playing to their potential and their chances once they get to nationals.

I know you've indicated that you are very confident they will win the ACCHL title again this year. I feel really good about that too...but there have also been a couple of relatively close ACCHL games so far, including the 2nd game against unc-ch that was tied 2-2 in the 3rd. And the UVA game looked relatively close for most of the way until pulling away in the 3rd period.

And is Riley Johnson back yet? Hope they can stay injury free and play their best hockey at the end of the season and make a big showing at the year end tournaments.
Icepack1
Big road trip coming up this weekend. Cincinnati is another program that has grown quickly and been to Nationals multiple times in the last few years. They probably haven't had the kind of season they expected so far, but they've played a very difficult schedule and are definitely battle tested. In addition, we've got a big target on our back now with our newly acquired #1 ranking. Cincinnati is currently ranked #14, just outside of qualifying position for Regionals (top 12 / top 10 guaranteed + potential league autobids), so they'll be looking to bolster their resume this weekend. We will certainly need to come ready to play. For us, this weekend represents another opportunity for wins against a ranked team on the road. Our strength of schedule is strong (#3), but we'll need to continue to win and build our goal differential to maintain our #1 ranking and secure an autobid directly to Nationals (top 2 teams in each region). Last I heard was that we'd be getting all of our injured players (Riley Johnson, Eric Todd, Alex Fong) back this weekend, but I have yet to confirm that is still the case.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.