Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,223,512 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
Dunlow66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wkdbigpckfan said:

Dunlow66 said:

I hate to be that guy...but maybe start another thread to discuss our previous coach and any issues that may or may not surface. Like to keep this one about recruiting.

as for the tip from Gravis, I'm glad he stops by at all. Doesnt have to post anything on this site or any other for that matter.

Barrett is committing on Friday, KJ on Saturday......kinda feel like those two are related.

IMO, if Barrett goes to Duke or Oregon, Johnson commits to UK. Just cant see those two playing together.

The kicker is if Barrett actually picks UK. Duke guys are adamant that he will not do so. UK guys seem to think they made a late surge and have a shot at getting him. We will see.
So if Barrett does go to UK, does that mean we have a shot at KJ? But if he goes to Duke we have no chance?
Not sure on that....but I do know we have a much better shot with Barrett or Zion at UK.
EthanBarry
Staff
When is Zion announcing? If he announces after KJ that won't affect KJ's decision, correct?
NatePait94
Possible, but not likely. Zion is supposedly going to wait until the spring signing period.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
apackfan69
apackfan69 said:

NatePait94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

also a bit of a rumor floating the Quentin Grimes has already committed to the Kansas coaches....which could impact KJ with Kentucky.

Heard the same with Grimes.

I may go down as crazy, but until KJ declares his choice, I am going to stick with the notion that we offer what him and his family desire.
My source, who I want to be up front and say in my opinion, is better with talent from the eastern part on NC, says KJ's parents are really pushing him to pick Maryland or NC State. He also says he thinks that the kid will wait a while longer to announce.
Update from this source. 95% Barrett to Duke. 65% KJ to NC State. Also told me not to get excited, because we are battling with Kentucky, and Cal can pull it out. I don't think 65% is enough. I will tell you this. I bragged my arse off 2 years ago about Bam defiantly coming to NC State, and I am still catching hell for it 2 years later. So much so I have told 2 people who are still riding me that I am hearing KJ to Kentucky. Not making that mistake again outside this board. I have to hear it from KJ's mouth before I believe it. Only posting this to say, there is still hope with 3 days left.
sf59
Thx for the update
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
—Jack Handey
TheWhiteWolf
apackfan69 said:

apackfan69 said:

NatePait94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

also a bit of a rumor floating the Quentin Grimes has already committed to the Kansas coaches....which could impact KJ with Kentucky.

I may go down as crazy, but until KJ declares his choice, I am going to stick with the notion that we offer what him and his family desire.
My source, who I want to be up front and say in my opinion, is better with talent from the eastern part on NC, says KJ's parents are really pushing him to pick Maryland or NC State. He also says he thinks that the kid will wait a while longer to announce.
Update from this source. 95% Barrett to Duke. 65% KJ to NC State. Also told me not to get excited, because we are battling with Kentucky, and Cal can pull it out. I don't think 65% is enough. I will tell you this. I bragged my arse off 2 years ago about Bam defiantly coming to NC State, and I am still catching hell for it 2 years later. So much so I have told 2 people who are still riding me that I am hearing KJ to Kentucky. Not making that mistake again outside this board. I have to hear it from KJ's mouth before I believe it. Only posting this to say, there is still hope with 3 days left.
Man I keep praying for Coach K to retire and spend time with the grandkids he just keeps getting better recruits. Playing against RJ is going to be bad kid is something else. Would love for KJ but UK just seems like too much especially if that his desired place (I think the kid wins this one on the parents) but Coach Keatts is battling thats for sure!
dogplasma
So maybe I missed this from earlier, but the fact that we're still recruiting 2018 must mean we're expecting an early departure, right? Aren't we full on scholarships or did I just lose count? We've got 13 on scholarship now, we lose four at the end of the season, and we have four signed for 2018.
Dubpack
TheWhiteWolf said:

apackfan69 said:

apackfan69 said:

NatePait94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

Man I keep praying for Coach K to retire and spend time with the grandkids he just keeps getting better recruits. Playing against RJ is going to be bad kid is something else. Would love for KJ but UK just seems like too much especially if that his desired place (I think the kid wins this one on the parents) but Coach Keatts is battling thats for sure!
KJ may end up being the opposite of Amile. Didn't Amile want NCSU and all signs pointed to him announcing for State, but his dad pushed for Duke and obviously won that conversation?
PackDaddy
Always listen to your parents!
duckfatrules
technically we are full for 2018 -19. but the way these kids transfer and leave you never know.
I am sure that Keatts can count to 13, maybe its like hotels and airlines overbooking.
EthanBarry
Staff
dogplasma said:

So maybe I missed this from earlier, but the fact that we're still recruiting 2018 must mean we're expecting an early departure, right? Aren't we full on scholarships or did I just lose count? We've got 13 on scholarship now, we lose four at the end of the season, and we have four signed for 2018.
I think this is a case of KJ is a guy that might choose you, and he's so good you make room for him if he does choose you. I don't think we would take any other kid at this point without knowing for sure of an early departure
Colonel Armstrong
PackDaddy said:

Always listen to your parents!
Unless they want you to go to Duke!
NCStateFanForLife
dogplasma said:

Has been covered already, but transfers are a part of the game now and Keatts would be foolish to stop pursuing a guy he sees as an immediate impact guy just because we appear to be out of scholarships.

I expect Yurt to do enough this year to improve his draft stock and feel confident leaving. Never know what other conversations Keatts has had with guys behind closed doors who might be on the fence about staying after this year.
Dunlow66
apackfan69 said:

apackfan69 said:

NatePait94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

I feel your pain on the Bam recruitment. That one still causes me grief. Damn near made me quit posting anything about recruiting on 'free' sites. I had freaking Kentucky insiders PMing me that very week and telling me Bam was still going to NCSU even though he wanted UK. Said he would do 'what he was told' and it was all wrapped up for the Pack.....and then it all went to hell in a weekend.
Westwolf
Dun, is it true that Gott's humiliating loss to William & Mary that weekend played a factor? Also, how would you characterize Keatt's reputation on the recruiting trail compared to Gott's, and each one's approach?
TheStorm
I forgot about the W&M loss and the timing... would definitely have been a factor.
Dunlow66
IMO, biggest factor was the prep coach Bam played for. I wont give him the publicity of mentioning his name here, but he went out of his way to make 'Adebayo to UK' happen. Still pisses me off.

dogplasma
wkdbigpckfan said:

I don't think we would take any other kid at this point without knowing for sure of an early departure

That's the heart of my question (and apologies for missing any earlier discussion somewhere in the prior 36 pages). IMO, Keatts wouldn't take anyone else unless he knew for sure someone was leaving early. Transfers are likely, but unlike in football, I don't think a basketball coach would ever count on this in a general way. I agree this seems to signal that we don't get another year of Y7 after this one no matter what.
birdiePack
Dun have you heard anything new regarding KJ?
If you never allow for a little fun and relaxation you will become mentally unstable without knowing it.
birdiePack
dogplasma said:

wkdbigpckfan said:

I don't think we would take any other kid at this point without knowing for sure of an early departure

That's the heart of my question (and apologies for missing any earlier discussion somewhere in the prior 36 pages). IMO, Keatts wouldn't take anyone else unless he knew for sure someone was leaving early. Transfers are likely, but unlike in football, I don't think a basketball coach would ever count on this in a general way. I agree this seems to signal that we don't get another year of Y7 after this one no matter what.
That or it signals that K^2 is willing to use the waiver wire if it gets us where we want to be more quickly.
If you never allow for a little fun and relaxation you will become mentally unstable without knowing it.
duckfatrules
I have posted this before, Yurt7 told my son in class that his plan is to graduate and then go pro. "that option has always been on the table"
Dunlow66
duckfatrules said:

I have posted this before, Yurt7 told my son in class that his plan is to graduate and then go pro. "that option has always been on the table"
I think Yurt is gone, one way or the other. Either to the NBA or back to Europe.
Dunlow66
birdiePack said:

dogplasma said:

wkdbigpckfan said:

That or it signals that K^2 is willing to use the waiver wire if it gets us where we want to be more quickly.
Well, he did coach for Pitino. That guy used the waiver wire like an NBA team uses the Gleague.
duckfatrules
One of my good friends was one of Bam's teachers in High Point. I texted her 3 weeks before he announced and asked her where he was going to school. she asked him right then what his dream school was and he immediately answered Kentucky, always has been. I posted this information on Pack Pride and got slammed for it. If Gott did not know this, then he was blind to how the kid really felt.
Dunlow66
birdiePack said:

Dun have you heard anything new regarding KJ?
nothing other than we are still a potential landing spot and that some feel the decision has not been made yet.(not sure I believe that part)
NatePait94
Even if you get slammed, we appreciate yours, and everyone elses, input regarding these situations.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
WolfpackSI
Dunlow66 said:

IMO, biggest factor was the prep coach Bam played for. I wont give him the publicity of mentioning his name here, but he went out of his way to make 'Adebayo to UK' happen. Still pisses me off.

All the prep schools in the triad seem to have something against NC State. Can't remember we had a recruit from that area.
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
Dunlow66
Barrett to Duke
twentytoe
Dunlow66 said:

Barrett to Duke

We still got this Dun.
WolfpackSI
Dunlow66 said:

Barrett to Duke
Damn, double whammy for us
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
NatePait94
Dunlow66 said:

Barrett to Duke
Where's my daggum magical 8 ball? I mean crystal. LOL
RyanMB
Hopefully KJ is paying attention to the games tonight. We score 56 points in the first half and are up by 22 points while Kentucky is losing to Utah Valley and have only scored 25 at the half.
NatePait94
Agreed.
ClePack
duckfatrules said:

One of my good friends was one of Bam's teachers in High Point. I texted her 3 weeks before he announced and asked her where he was going to school. she asked him right then what his dream school was and he immediately answered Kentucky, always has been. I posted this information on Pack Pride and got slammed for it. If Gott did not know this, then he was blind to how the kid really felt.
I remember you posting this! To be honest, I didn't take it seriously, but we should have really believed you from the start.
wolverinepack20
Dunlow66 said:

apackfan69 said:

apackfan69 said:

NatePait94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

I feel your pain on the Bam recruitment. That one still causes me grief. Damn near made me quit posting anything about recruiting on 'free' sites. I had freaking Kentucky insiders PMing me that very week and telling me Bam was still going to NCSU even though he wanted UK. Said he would do 'what he was told' and it was all wrapped up for the Pack.....and then it all went to hell in a weekend.
I remember this Dun, lot's of vitriol in your direction that day. It was just a bad day with raw emotion for all the Pack fans that so badly wanted the Bam + DSJ combo. All washed away in 1 weekend.

Thanks for all the info your provide on this board, you certainly don't have to do it but you do a heck of a job getting to all the recruiting questions and being in on all the recruitments. Much appreciated.
First Page Last Page
Page 36 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.