Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,223,594 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
Packfan8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WolfpackSI said:

Hoyas Mac McClung withdraws from the draft and will enter the transfer market. Dude is a big-time player from Va. Wish we had the scholarship to pursue him.

Ewing's seat is getting hotter and hotter.

McClung is going to Tennessee from what I've heard
nryanh94
wolfpackjb said:

nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

Dunlow66 said:

Unless we have injury issues(and we did last year).....I think we could see two freshmen redshirt this year.

I'd be fine with that. A lot easier to player 11 and keep them happy then play 13 and keep them happy

Think you'll see Gibson and Farrar redshirt. We've got Fundy, Hellems, and Taylor all at the 4 and we'll likley need Ebe as a backup to Manny.

I'm not a huge fan of redshirting two guys in the same class at basically the same position. I am by no means an expert on this topic, it just seems weird on the surface to me. And then with Ross coming in next year, you basically have 3 freshmen looking to play that 4 position. But I trust Keatts to make the right decision.

That's why I wasn't excited about taking Gibson... Don't think him or Farrar are ready to contribute
Packfan8

Providence at it afain
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

Providence at it afain
With Jeff Battle(Wake) and Ivan Thomas(Boo Williams) on staff, they will keep hitting NC/VA very hard.
williewolf
Dunlow66 said:

Unless we have injury issues(and we did last year).....I think we could see two freshmen redshirt this year.
if the medical situation leads to a shortened season; I would think many teams may strategically redshirt more than usual ..........pack could even consider holding 3 out to get the point guards spaced a year

Packfan8
"NC State men's basketball head coach Kevin Keatts announced Thursday that Jaylon Gibson has signed a financial aid agreement and will join the men's basketball program for the upcoming 2020-21 season"
Could be reading into this too much but this is weird since he should've signed a NLI. Maybe he's gonna get an academic scholarship for this year and we'll use this as the probation year?
WolfpackSI
Packfan8 said:

"NC State men's basketball head coach Kevin Keatts announced Thursday that Jaylon Gibson has signed a financial aid agreement and will join the men's basketball program for the upcoming 2020-21 season"
Could be reading into this too much but this is weird since he should've signed a NLI. Maybe he's gonna get an academic scholarship for this year and we'll use this as the probation year?

That would be great but won't the ncaa see that we are fudging the numbers? Maybe Jaylon is coming on as a non-scholarship player because his parents can afford it and he wants to play at home.
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
nryanh94
1985 NCSU Grad
He signed a financial aid agreement like a lot of late signees do. They get the athletic scholarship but have the option to leave without penalty. State has had others do this before and more college athletes are doing this. No big deal, just protects Gibson and leavesxhim options if needed.
Engineer97
nryanh94 said:

(Insert Flair going whooooo)
WolfpackSI
Engineer97 said:

nryanh94 said:

(Insert Flair going whooooo)
1) Is he eligible for the 2021 draft?

2) Is Duke, UNC, UK, or KU interested?
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
Engineer97
Both good questions.

He's from Atlanta.

ETA: Kansas has offered.
Packfan8

Class of 22 guard now playing for former Moravian prep coach
nryanh94

No idea why we haven't offered this kid
wufpack7
Now that he has a UNC offer, does it matter? Why risk upsetting T.Smith to recruit another SG that we have pretty much no chance to land?
nryanh94
wufpack7 said:

Now that he has a UNC offer, does it matter? Why risk upsetting T.Smith to recruit another SG that we have pretty much no chance to land?

Well, the kid isn't from North Carolina. He's from Arizona, so unlike most local kids he probably didn't grow up pulling for them. And damn, guess we should just never offer a kid that UNC has. At some point you've got to beat them for a recruit.

And we're likely taking another Hurd with Terquavion anyway. See the offers to El Ellis, Jalen Warley, Mike James, Matthew Cleveland and Breon Pass
Dunlow66
nryanh94 said:

wufpack7 said:

Well, the kid isn't from North Carolina. He's from Arizona, so unlike most local kids he probably didn't grow up pulling for them. And damn, guess we should just never offer a kid that UNC has. At some point you've got to beat them for a recruit.

And we're likely taking another Hurd with Terquavion anyway. See the offers to El Ellis, Jalen Warley, Mike James, Matthew Cleveland and Breon Pass
Maybe the staff feels like it would be a waste of time and have decided to focus on other players. No need to repeat the Styles recruitment.
nryanh94
Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

wufpack7 said:

Maybe the staff feels like it would be a waste of time and have decided to focus on other players. No need to repeat the Styles recruitment.

If this staff is all ready in the mode of "let's not recruit a kid because of UNC or duke" they're probably not the answer, and I love Keatts.
Dunlow66
nryanh94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

wufpack7 said:

If this staff is all ready in the mode of "let's not recruit a kid because of UNC or duke" they're probably not the answer, and I love Keatts.
Not what I said.....

If the staff doesnt think this young man wants to attend NC State over other offers on his list, then they should, IMO, move on.

No idea if that is what is going on here. There could be a number of other reasons as well.
nryanh94
Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

wufpack7 said:

Not what I said.....

If the staff doesnt think this young man wants to attend NC State over other offers on his list, then they should, IMO, move on.

No idea if that is what is going on here. There could be a number of other reasons as well.

Sorry lol, but when you use Styles as an example, that's what I'm going to assume. I just don't get that mindset though. Throw your hat in the ring and see what happens.
Andrew4343
How many spots do we have left? I think Ellis and Cleveland should be at the top of our board for guards.
nryanh94
Andrew4343 said:

How many spots do we have left? I think Ellis and Cleveland should be at the top of our board for guards.

Currently 1 with the scholarship going to Gibson, but we know how that works. I'd guess likley 2.
WolfpackSI
nryanh94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

wufpack7 said:

Not what I said.....

Sorry lol, but when you use Styles as an example, that's what I'm going to assume. I just don't get that mindset though. Throw your hat in the ring and see what happens.

Ya but the other side of that is going down to the wire in the final two with the Keldon Johnsons/Wendell Moores/Patrick Williams to getting burned at the end Because we aren't winning enough or dont put enough dudes in the nba. At this point it might be smarter to stay old and stay deep and then go out and get the big fish when we have some pedigree as a program. Right now we are far behind Duke, UNC, UVA and Lville in that department.
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
Bulldogwolf27
I'm with you. Outside of Cj Leslie, TJ Warren, Rodney Purvis and Dennis Smith. We haven't had any 5 star home grown kids enroll. I've been a basketball state junkie for the last 25 years and that's is one every 5 years. I think we go get the best players we can get. They can be from GA,VA, SC or NC. As long as they are proud to wear our red and white, plus beat down Carolina and Duke then that's good enough for me. My point is that rankings don't show development.
Bulldogwolf27
To my point, how many nba all stars have come from Roy at Carolina? None. His only one is Paul Pierce from Kansas, Keatts has shown he can develop kids and when he hits on a high level guy that is good in the NBA (which will come soon) He will be able to get the ballers for the guys that care about 5 stars.
nryanh94
Jaywolf27 said:

I'm with you. Outside of Cj Leslie, TJ Warren, Rodney Purvis and Dennis Smith. We haven't had any 5 star home grown kids enroll. I've been a basketball state junkie for the last 25 years and that's is one every 5 years. I think we go get the best players we can get. They can be from GA,VA, SC or NC. As long as they are proud to wear our red and white, plus beat down Carolina and Duke then that's good enough for me. My point is that rankings don't show development.

The kid I brought up that started this convo is neither a 4 star, nor is he home grown. He is from Arizona and is outside the top 100. He just moved to Fayetteville.

I agree we need to stay old, this kid isn't a 1 and done
pack1502
Why are we so fixated on one kid? Just because there isn't buzz about one kid that looks pretty good and moved to Fayetteville doesn't mean Keatts isn't trying to sign top recruits if blue blood programs are interested. A top 50 recruit just committed to that class and Keatts is all over Matthew Cleveland, another big time recruit.
Dennis Smith III

state grad
metcalfmafia
Dennis Smith III said:

state grad
You should sign up for premium my man!
WolfpackSI
Wait...what? Thought Kareem Richardson was already on board?
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
ClePack
Dennis Smith III said:

state grad
Whats the info on these guys? Can someone break it down?
Packfan8
Ernest Ross' team will play at the Broughton tournament this year
Dunlow66
Mike Summey joined head coach Michael Huger and the Bowling Green men's basketball coaching staff in April of 2015, after serving as the Associate Head Coach at Saint Francis (Pa.) for two seasons. Summey enters his fifth season with the program in 2019-20.

At BGSU, Coach Summey works day-to-day in the development of the players. He also plays a big role in opponent scouting and off-campus recruiting, among other duties.

Summey has helped develop several All-Conference players in his time at Bowling Green. Summey worked extensively with forward Demajeo Wiggins over his career at BGSU. Wiggins gives Summey a huge share of the credit for the big man's immensely improved free throw stroke. Under Summey's guidance, Wiggins' free throw numbers skyrocketed. After shooting 37.9 percent as a freshman, Wiggins finished his career with a 63.2 percentage.

Wiggins was named Second Team All-MAC as a junior and senior, and finished his career as only the third player in school history joining legends Nate Thurmond and Cornelius Cash with over 1,000 career points and 1,000 career rebounds.

Summey has also aided in the development of Justin Turner and Dylan Frye two of the more accomplished BGSU guards in the program's recent history. Turner, who was named First Team All-MAC in 2018-19, became the first player in school history to eclipse 1,000 career points before reaching junior-year eligibility. Frye, a 1,000-point scorer in his own right, is on pace to shatter Bowling Green's all-time three-point field goals record.

Bowling Green experienced historic success in Summey's most-recent season at BGSU. In 2018-19, after the league's preseason poll picked the Falcons to finish last in the MAC, Bowling Green advanced to its first MAC Championship Game appearance in 17 years. BGSU, which earned an automatic berth to the league quarterfinals for the first time in a decade, won games over Ball State and Northern Illinois in Cleveland to advance to the MAC title game for just the fourth time in school history.

Also in 2018-19, the Falcons upset No. 18 Buffalo, 92-88, in front of a record-breaking crowd of 5,000 fans at the Stroh Center. BGSU's win helped the Falcons post a 12-6 conference record on the season, marking just the seventh time in school history that BGSU won 12-plus league games in a single season.

In Summey's third season at BGSU in 2017-18, Bowling Green recorded its first season of .500 or better since 2014-15, as the Falcons went 16-16. The Falcons had a number of standouts, including a Second Team All-MAC selection in Wiggins, as well as Turner, who scored 492 points to break the school's freshman scoring record.

In 2016-17, Summey's second on the BGSU sidelines, Bowling Green saw a two-win conference improvement. Bowling Green's seven MAC victories included a number of signature wins. In front of a raucous Stroh Center, the Falcons defeated arch-rival Toledo in double overtime by a score of 104-100. The win, which snapped a six-game losing streak to the Rockets, was BGSU's first over Toledo since February 11, 2012.

Bowling Green also earned wins over the MAC's regular-season champs in Akron, and the 2017 MAC Tournament Champions Kent State. The Kent State win came on the road in overtime, thanks to a tip-in from Wiggins with 1.3 seconds left on the clock. The Akron win, which was secured thanks to a pair of Wes Alcegaire free throws with 2.4 seconds left, snapped Akron's 17-game winning streak over the Falcons.

The 66-65 victory over Akron was Bowling Green's first over the Zips since March 1, 2009. The victory was also the Falcons' first in Bowling Green, Ohio over Akron since Jan. 28, 2003. Prior to the contest, Akron had won 12-straight games over the Falcons in Bowling Green.

In 2015-16, Summey's first year at BGSU, the Falcons registered 16 wins overall on the season. The Falcons also recorded a season-high six-game winning streak from Nov. 22 to Dec. 8, which marked the longest winning streak for a BGSU team since the 2008-09 season. In 2018-19, the Falcons surpassed that mark by experiencing a 10-game winning streak, which led to a 6-0 start to MAC play.

BGSU picked up wins over No. 5 Kent State and No. 4 Central Michigan over the first two rounds of the 2016 MAC Men's Basketball Championship Tournament to advance to the semifinals for the first time since 2009.

Summey began his second stint on Saint Francis University (Pa.) men's basketball coaching staff in May of 2013, having served four seasons as an assistant coach for the Red Flash from 1999-2003.

In his second stint at SFU, Summey helped guide the Red Flash to 26 wins over his two seasons back on the sidelines from 2013-15 and earn a 2015 CollegeInsider.com Tournament (CIT) bid in which the Flash fell at home to Bowling Green, 67-64, in the first round.

Not only did the Red Flash host their first postseason tournament game since 1991 in 2014-15, but Saint Francis also posted its first winning regular season in 10 years and earned victories over America East regular-season champion Albany, Duquesne and Big Ten-member Rutgers. The victory for the Flash over the Dukes was the first since 1990, and the Flash became the first-ever Northeast Conference team to defeat a Big Ten team when it won at Rutgers on Dec. 20, 2014.

Before returning to Saint Francis (Pa.), Summey served as Director of Basketball Operations with the Miami Hurricanes for four years from 2009-13, where he oversaw the day-to-day administrative operations of the program. There he worked under head coach Jim Larraaga and with Coach Huger from 2011-13.

Summey has an extensive coaching background, including serving as the head coach at Bethany College (W. Va.) during the 2008-09 season and two years as the assistant head coach at North Florida from 2006-08, aiding in the Ospreys' transition to NCAA Division I and the Atlantic Sun Conference.

As the head coach for Division III Bethany in 2008-09, the Bison went 17-12 and finished second in the Presidents' Athletic Conference with a 9-3 mark en route to a PAC championship game berth and an ECAC South Region Tournament invitation. Despite losing four starters, Summey posted the best record in Bethany history for a first-year head coach.

At UNF from 2006-08, he coordinated the recruiting efforts, compiled scouting reports on the opponents and served as the camp director for the UNF team and individual camps.

Prior to joining the UNF staff, Summey served for two years as an assistant coach at The Citadel from 2004-06. In his first season, he worked with perimeter players and helped Matt Davis lead the Southern Conference in three-point percentage (.471), while his work with the post players the next season was pivotal in J'mel Everhart becoming just the second Bulldog to earn Southern Conference All-Tournament Team honors.

Summey's career has also included a stop at Queens University in Charlotte, N.C. as the top assistant in 2003-04 in which the Royals went 21-8 overall and 14-4 in the Carolinas-Virginia Athletic Conference (CVAC). There Summey coached Spencer Ross who was tabbed the Sporting News Division II National Player of the Year, a First-Team All-American selection, a Daktronics All-Region Second-Team member, a NABC DII East All-District honoree, the CVAC Conference Player of the Year and a CVAC First-Team All-Conference member. That season, Summey also coached Moustapha Diouf, who was named to the CVAC All-Conference Second-Team and the CVAC Conference All-Tournament Team.

A native of Hickory, N.C., Summey earned a degree in political science from NC State in 1997. As a student, he served as the head manager as a senior and then as graduate manager for two years, assisting with then-head coach Herb Sendek's transition to the Wolfpack.

Dunlow66
Steve Snell enters his first season as an assistant coach at Ohio.

Snell comes to Ohio after spending three seasons at the University of Denver. Snell helped with the continued development of Denver basketball in 2017-18, which saw the team post a 15-15 record that included winning eight of its final 11 games and winning its first Summit League Tournament game under Billups.

He assisted with a Pioneer team that ranked first in the Summit League in assists per game (15.1) and rebounding margin (plus-6.0) and second in 3-point percantage (40 percent). Both rebounding margin (24th) and 3-point percnetage (15th) ranked in the top 25 in the NCAA.

The second-year coach also played a big role in the continued development of Daniel Amigo and Joe Rosga. Both players were recognized for their stellar play, with Rosga being selected to the All-Sumiit League First Team and Amigo making the second team.

Snell was a key part in the Pioneers success on the floor in 2016-17, which resulted in the team posting a 16-14 record and going 8-8 in Summit League play. The eight league wins were the most by the team since joining the league back in 2013.

He also assisted in the development of a high-paced offense that led to DU scoring 75.8 points per contest in 2016-17, the most by the team since going up to Division I back in 1998.

Snell was also instrumental in the development of Amigo and Joe. The duo posted personal-best numbers that season with Amigo earning All-Summit League Second Team and Rosga receiving honorable-mention honors.

The Radford native also helped spark Denver's outside shooting touch as the team finished 13th in the NCAA in 3-point percentage in 2016-17.

Snell spent two seasons as an associate head coach at Santa Clara (2014-16). A 29-year coaching veteran, Snell was also at Air Force (2007-14) for seven seasons, the final two years as associate head coach. Prior to Air Force, Snell spent two seasons (2005-07) as a member of the coaching staff at Louisiana-Monroe. He helped the Warhawks to the co-championship of the Sun Belt's West Division in 2006-07 with an 18-14 record, including a perfect 14-0 mark at home. Prior to coaching at ULM, Snell spent four seasons at Tulane University, where he served as an assistant coach.

A native of Radford, Virginia, Snell served as an assistant at Marshall University for five seasons under head coach Greg White. In his time at Marshall, Snell helped the Herd to an 86-54 (.614) record.

Prior to his move to Marshall, Snell spent three years as an assistant coach at East Tennessee State University. He served the 1992-93 campaign at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro and also spent two years at Wingate College now known as Wingate University and one season at Radford University.

Snell is married to his wife Ann and they have two sons, Jaden and Jordan. Snell enjoys spending time with his family, golfing and anything outdoors.
Dunlow66
Chris Zupko was named as Drexel coordinator of basketball operations by head coach Zach Spiker in July 2016.

Prior to joining Drexel's staff, Zupko worked for the Hoop Group in Neptune, N.J. since 2006 where he spent nine years as the director of Hoop Group Skills Camp as well as a year as the assistant director of Hoop Group Elite Basketball Camp. In this position, Zupko helped grow the camp to 1975 campers with notable alumni including Karl Anthony-Towns, Kyrie Irving and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

Before he moved to the Hoop Group, Zupko spent six seasons as an assistant basketball coach at Hargrave Military Academy. He was a member of the Hargrave staff when the team won the national championship in 2004. There helped send 58 players to Division I and 13 to Division II, while six would go on to play in the NBA, including Joe Alexander, the No. 8 pick in the 2008 NBA Draft. Zupko also helped to produce two McDonald's All-Americans, and he coached former Drexel big man Chaz Crawford. At Hargrave, Zupko also served as the head coach of the varsity lacrosse team.

Zupko began his coaching career in basketball in 1995 at Roanoke College in Virginia following the completion of his bachelor's degree. He also holds a master's degree in physical education from the University of South Carolina. Zupko helped guide Roanoke to four NCAA appearances, two conference titles and a Sweet 16 appearance before spending the 1999-2000 season on the coaching staff at Hobart College.
First Page Last Page
Page 298 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.