Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,221,371 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
Packfan8
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Oh what could've been...
WolfpackSI
nryanh94 said:

WolfpackSI said:

MarOdoxPhoenician7 said:

He reminds me of one of those tall white deadly three point shooters that would go to Iowa

I think you spelled Duke wrong

When is the last time you watched duke lol
Admittely, I don't watch much Duke nowadays but Hurts and Baker both look like they good shooters(and tall and white)
nryanh94
WolfpackSI said:

nryanh94 said:

WolfpackSI said:

MarOdoxPhoenician7 said:

He reminds me of one of those tall white deadly three point shooters that would go to Iowa

I think you spelled Duke wrong

When is the last time you watched duke lol
Admittely, I don't watch much Duke nowadays but Hurts and Baker both look like they good shooters(and tall and white)

They're definitely good, just not the duke of old
Packfan8
Need those 8 new players to come in and bring new life to this team. Hopefully hall makes it to Raleigh
1985 NCSU Grad
Packfan8 said:

Oh what could've been...

Maybe...he is not storming the G-League. He is not even in the top 75 in either points, assists, rebounds or steals. He has terrible shooting% - FG, 3FG, FT...he has a LONG road to make it to the NBA. Right now he is a lifetime G-League guy.
Packfan8
1985 NCSU Grad said:

Packfan8 said:

Oh what could've been...

Maybe...he is not storming the G-League. He is not even in the top 75 in either points, assists, rebounds or steals. He has terrible shooting% - FG, 3FG, FT...he has a LONG road to make it to the NBA. Right now he is a lifetime G-League guy.

Well he would be another body to actually play. He's averaging 13 3 and 3 in 25 minutes. We could use some of that
ClePack
Dunlow66 said:

Frankcal20 said:

I don't follow college basketball recruiting. What's the thoughts on the kid Carter Whitt? He basically did almost everything for Leesville (I think) except hit some much needed free throws in OT. But, from a ball handling standpoint, dribble penetration, etc, he seems to be pretty good. Again, this is coming from someone who doesn't follow this at all so excuse me if he's considered an average guy or already committed elsewhere.

Latest rumor has him looking elsewhere.
well damn. We need bodies, badly. Shooters, IQ guys...anything. Our current roster structure is rough.
nryanh94
ClePack said:

Dunlow66 said:

Frankcal20 said:

I don't follow college basketball recruiting. What's the thoughts on the kid Carter Whitt? He basically did almost everything for Leesville (I think) except hit some much needed free throws in OT. But, from a ball handling standpoint, dribble penetration, etc, he seems to be pretty good. Again, this is coming from someone who doesn't follow this at all so excuse me if he's considered an average guy or already committed elsewhere.

well damn. We need bodies, badly. Shooters, IQ guys...anything. Our current roster structure is rough.

We'll have plenty of body's next year lol, as long as the roster isn't decimated again.

Seniors: DJ, Devon, Braxton
Juniors: Thomas Allen, Jericole,
Soph: Manny, Aj Taylor
Freshman: Seabron, Hall, Hayes, Moore, Farrar, Dowuona
curmudgeon.zen
nryanh94 said:

ClePack said:

Dunlow66 said:

Frankcal20 said:

We'll have plenty of body's next year lol, as long as the roster isn't decimated again.

Don't be surprised when five of these guys aren't here next year.
Log off. Go outside.
cmball3
curmudgeon.zen said:

nryanh94 said:

ClePack said:

Dunlow66 said:

Frankcal20 said:

5?!? Hahahahaha
RDUwolfpack
cmball3 said:

curmudgeon.zen said:

nryanh94 said:

ClePack said:

Dunlow66 said:

Frankcal20 said:

5?!? Hahahahaha

3 are highly possible.

AJ, Seabron, DJ. All have been rumored for different reasons.
Packfan8
I saw a lot of people on twitter/Facebook saying that we are bringing in a top 10 class but it doesn't have talent. Just going off of rivals we will have potential 5 freshman ranked in the top 150 including seabron. That's pretty solid. Rivals views hall as a top 25 talent. Seems like a big talent upgrade to me
cmball3
Seabron has been rumored only because he's an academic redshirt just like Nolley was. There's minutes for him there.

I think dj goes to make money and AJ realizes that he won't be seeing any court time. Maybe a third but it ain't gonna be 5 unless he was counting the seniors.
ClePack
Right. At least 3 of those guys aren't going to make it to campus (based off past history alone), I just don't believe we are in position where we can be "picky" If a guy is interested in us and in the top 100, take him
WolfpackSI
ClePack said:

Right. At least 3 of those guys aren't going to make it to campus (based off past history alone), I just don't believe we are in position where we can be "picky" If a guy is interested in us and in the top 100, take him
I feel like "based on past history alone" is sort of a gamblers fallacy. Sure there is always a possibility but each player is different and has their own reasons for staying or going.

DJ is leaving to go pro. Yea I can buy that.

AJ is leaving because of a chronic injury. Yea I can buy that.

Seabron is leaving for grades. Yea I can buy that.

Hall is never coming because he can go pro. Yea I can buy that.

We are gonna lose people because I mean thats just what happens. Thats not a reason and we shouldn't just accept that at face value. Sorry thats just starting to become a pet peeve of mine lol.
ClePack
WolfpackSI said:

ClePack said:

I feel like "based on past history alone" is sort of a gamblers fallacy. Sure there is always a possibility but each player is different and has their own reasons for staying or going.

DJ is leaving to go pro. Yea I can buy that.

AJ is leaving because of a chronic injury. Yea I can buy that.

Seabron is leaving for grades. Yea I can buy that.

Hall is never coming because he can go pro. Yea I can buy that.

We are gonna lose people because I mean thats just what happens. Thats not a reason and we shouldn't just accept that at face value. Sorry thats just starting to become a pet peeve of mine lol.
I completely understand your frustration with that mindset. I wish it didn't keep happening to us, but until it changes, I have no reason to believe it will be different this offseason. Others have hinted at it, as well. Attrition is a theme under Keatts until it isn't.
wufpack7
Putting blame on Keatts for transfers is silly. 998 players transferred in D1 last year. That's about 3 per school. UVA is the most stable school in the league, it's safe to say. They had 3 guys transfer out after the 2017 season, then won the NC 2 years later. And then had a guy transfer out right after winning the NC. Attrition is going to happen everywhere, and a lot of people want to make it even easier by making all transfers immediately eligible. It sucks, but I don't think there's anything coaches can do to stop it.
ClePack
You make good points, the only thing I'd say is that uva had ample depth to survive the transfers. We are struggling mightily with our lack of depth, which is a direct effect of our transfers and poor recruiting. This is why I want us to keep offering kids and don't just assume we'll keep our current roster or even recruits through the offseason. Prepare for once.
cmball3
ClePack said:

You make good points, the only thing I'd say is that uva had ample depth to survive the transfers. We are struggling mightily with our lack of depth, which is a direct effect of our transfers and poor recruiting. This is why I want us to keep offering kids and don't just assume we'll keep our current roster or even recruits through the offseason. Prepare for once.

And Bennett was in his 8th year. Not his 3rd.
duran_duran
cmball3 said:

ClePack said:

And Bennett was in his 8th year. Not his 3rd.
Took Hamilton a while to get going at FSU as well. We know we've got a good coach here in Kevin Keatts, let's give him the time he needs to build his program.

That being said, our fanbase is full of people who act like entitled children so I'm sure people will complain endlessly if he doesn't win now.
Dunlow66
Roosevelt Wheeler has picked up an offer from Louisville
oceanclub
Hear Roy and the baby blues are going to see Styles tomorrow night. KK get ready for a battle.
TheEagle
nryanh94 said:

ClePack said:

Dunlow66 said:

Frankcal20 said:

.They will probably all know each other's names by February.............

WolfpackSI
I think KK is a great coach and he gets 5 years to build his program before I start saying that we should look at other options.

That being said, I am still supremely pissed about the UNC loss. I think the reason I was pissed was because I felt like I was watching a Mark Gottfried coached team again. The thing I loved most about KK's team at UNCW and his first year at NC State is that they played HARD. Particularly in year 1, we were never the best team our guys gave a ton of effort and caused lots of deflections that led to fast breaks. Guys like Torin, Nard, Al Freeman, Kell, Bev played with a certain intensity and fire. Our guys were superiorly conditioned and outran and caused deflections left and right. Then somewhere around ACC play last season there was a shift and I just havent seen a true Kevin Keatts product on the floor since. Is it a talent issue? Is it a depth issue? Is it a conditioning/injury issue? Is it an entitlement issue? I'm really not sure. Is it just me or are you guys seeing the same thing?
ClePack
WolfpackSI said:

I think KK is a great coach and he gets 5 years to build his program before I start saying that we should look at other options.

That being said, I am still supremely pissed about the UNC loss. I think the reason I was pissed was because I felt like I was watching a Mark Gottfried coached team again. The thing I loved most about KK's team at UNCW and his first year at NC State is that they played HARD. Particularly in year 1, we were never the best team our guys gave a ton of effort and caused lots of deflections that led to fast breaks. Guys like Torin, Nard, Al Freeman, Kell, Bev played with a certain intensity and fire. Our guys were superiorly conditioned and outran and caused deflections left and right. Then somewhere around ACC play last season there was a shift and I just havent seen a true Kevin Keatts product on the floor since. Is it a talent issue? Is it a depth issue? Is it a conditioning/injury issue? Is it an entitlement issue? I'm really not sure. Is it just me or are you guys seeing the same thing?

Absolutely, and who knows, it could be a coaching issue, also. Not saying it is, but I don't think we're holding everyone accountable here.

Anyway, Stylez looks to be gone from our grasp now, I wonder where the staff turns their attention to now...
nryanh94
If Styles goes to UNC, offer Van der Heijden and lock in on him, kid has great size, length and athleticism, is an unbelievable shooter and a solid and willing passer. Not saying he'll be as good, but the kid reminds me of Sam Dekker from Wisconsin
Packfan8
wufpack7
It's weird to see Shaq's kid draining 3's and making free throws.
Packfan8
"NC State. The Wolfpack are the team to beat for four-star junior Roosevelt Wheeler. They have invested the most into his recruitment and is the only program to have already hosted him on an official visit. Just two weeks ago, we reported the news that Kevin Keatts was on hand for one of Wheeler's games and I would expect for Wheeler to remain their top big man priority in the 2021 class. Will that lead to an early commitment?

I am not sure but I am fairly certain that the Wolfpack have already laid the groundwork that might lead to the John Marshall High product playing for Keatts in Raleigh. Georgetown, Kansas, Miami, Providence and Virginia Tech sit among the others that have offered."
Corey Evans on wheeler
ClePack
Packfan8 said:

"NC State. The Wolfpack are the team to beat for four-star junior Roosevelt Wheeler. They have invested the most into his recruitment and is the only program to have already hosted him on an official visit. Just two weeks ago, we reported the news that Kevin Keatts was on hand for one of Wheeler's games and I would expect for Wheeler to remain their top big man priority in the 2021 class. Will that lead to an early commitment?

I am not sure but I am fairly certain that the Wolfpack have already laid the groundwork that might lead to the John Marshall High product playing for Keatts in Raleigh. Georgetown, Kansas, Miami, Providence and Virginia Tech sit among the others that have offered."
Corey Evans on wheeler
This is awesome, also if we land wheeler, would we also take quincy allen if he wanted to come?
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

Corey Evans on wheeler
Dont be surprised if Wheeler ends up at Louisville or another program.

I love his game and hope we land him. Just not sure we get this one.
oceanclub
so for 2021, we are looking at Pass (football and basketball), have Smith (SG), recruiting Styles (SF) and Wheeler (C). Based on current roster, we have 2 to give (BB, DJF, DD) since we self-imposed a reduction of 1 scholarship? ASsuming another opening at least, I would suspect we will sign four. Any thoughts on others? I know UNC is starting to like Styles.
ClePack
oceanclub said:

so for 2021, we are looking at Pass (football and basketball), have Smith (SG), recruiting Styles (SF) and Wheeler (C). Based on current roster, we have 2 to give (BB, DJF, DD) since we self-imposed a reduction of 1 scholarship? ASsuming another opening at least, I would suspect we will sign four. Any thoughts on others? I know UNC is starting to like Styles.
Are we still on quincy allen?
nryanh94
oceanclub said:

We will currently have 2 scholarships available (subject to change) because of the self imposed reduction, and 1 is taken by Smith
williewolf
^ what about McDonald?.........is his game too similiar to Smith?
First Page Last Page
Page 266 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.