Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,217,557 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
Wolfblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone seen any names for possible visits for the North Carolina or Louisville games?

A few thoughts on the underclassmen at the MLK Showcase games. Farmville is really good for a 2a school. Smith, Teel and Wright are an excellent backourt. Smith looks stronger and is playing at a high level. I thought he might end up being a wing, but with his deep range, ball handling, passing and ability to get to the rim he looks like a combo guard in our system.

Styles looks improved every time I see him. I hope he is the number 1 prospect on our board. Improved from long range and the mid range is automatic.

Heijden is a very intriguing prospects. Very impressed with his shooting and his length, but was also impressed with his passing ability.

What do we know right now on the recruitment of Breon Pass. Football or hoops? Is he tracking as a high major hoop recruit?

WolfpackSI
Frustrating loss to UNC. But the silver lining was seeing Cam Hayes having his arm around Shakeel. Man do we need some dogs because all I see on the court is guys that don't have any hustle.
ClePack
I pray to god we brought no recruits to the UNC game, and won't be bringing any to Lville either.
NatePait94
I thought I saw what looked like some recruits at the game sadly. If they sit behind the players and coaches then that was them.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
Thunderhill
Wolfblood said:

Has anyone seen any names for possible visits for the North Carolina or Louisville games?

A few thoughts on the underclassmen at the MLK Showcase games. Farmville is really good for a 2a school. Smith, Teel and Wright are an excellent backourt. Smith looks stronger and is playing at a high level. I thought he might end up being a wing, but with his deep range, ball handling, passing and ability to get to the rim he looks like a combo guard in our system.

Styles looks improved every time I see him. I hope he is the number 1 prospect on our board. Improved from long range and the mid range is automatic.

Heijden is a very intriguing prospects. Very impressed with his shooting and his length, but was also impressed with his passing ability.

What do we know right now on the recruitment of Breon Pass. Football or hoops? Is he tracking as a high major hoop recruit?

Passing is not allowed in this offense. It requires one guy to dribble around until there is 5 seconds left on the shot clock and then either heave a contested shot or throw-not pass-the ball to someone who is not in a position to shoot.
nryanh94

Makes me feel a lot better about Hall being here.
Packfan8
Need hall, Moore, hayes and Farrar now. A change is needed in the roster.
Luke12321
Markell messed up his shooting motion in the offseason.

He is "cocking" the ball back way more than he did last year, kind of holds the shot longer on the jump shot which is probably leading to wild release points and also better chance of getting off balance. sad to watch really what was a 42% 3pt shooter revert to this...25% from three and 54% from the free throw line.

I wonder if it was NBA recommendation to get the release higher or just a bad habit he picked up, but it is pretty much a develop hitched at this point and it isn't changing mid ACC season schedule. His ability to not shoot the ball from deep shrinks the floor so much for us now. Less driving lanes, passing lanes, ect.

He has regressed back to freshman year shooting percentages.

He was so good So. and Jr. year but his lack of shooting has buried this team this year.

Hard to run pick and roll action with a guard that can't shoot in todays game.

Yes, Keatts should have adjusted his offensive game plan once he saw MJ messed his shot up beyond repair but that is another convo for another day.
Dunlow66
as of right now....Markell, IMO, should have gone pro.

He has done nothing to increase his value as a prospect.

Now if the goal was a degree, good for him. But if the goal is to get paid, he hasnt done himself any favors this season.
WolfpackSI
Luke12321 said:

He is "cocking" the ball back way more than he did last year, kind of holds the shot longer on the jump shot which is probably leading to wild release points and also better chance of getting off balance. sad to watch really what was a 42% 3pt shooter revert to this...25% from three and 54% from the free throw line.

I wonder if it was NBA recommendation to get the release higher or just a bad habit he picked up, but it is pretty much a develop hitched at this point and it isn't changing mid ACC season schedule. His ability to not shoot the ball from deep shrinks the floor so much for us now. Less driving lanes, passing lanes, ect.

He was so good So. and Jr. year but his lack of shooting has buried this team this year.

Yes, Keatts should have adjusted his offensive game plan once he saw MJ messed his shot up beyond repair but that is another convo for another day.

Hmm thats interesting. Glad theres some reason as why he is having such a lackluster senior year. Makes a lot of sense since he still is driving the ball to the hoop very well but his shooting is just god awful.

Our entire team has been shooting like ***** Bev, Kell, CJ, Hellems, DD, DJ cant get any consistency in their outside shot. Our offense is so dependent on 3 point baskets but we just can't hit anything. Im hoping Thomas, Hall, and Hayes can bring some more firing power from outside. But at this point, im feel like i just get my hopes up for no reason. A loss like last night really just hits you like a bag of bricks.
duran_duran
WolfpackSI said:

Luke12321 said:

Hmm thats interesting. Glad theres some reason as why he is having such a lackluster senior year. Makes a lot of sense since he still is driving the ball to the hoop very well but his shooting is just god awful.

Our entire team has been shooting like ***** Bev, Kell, CJ, Hellems, DD, DJ cant get any consistency in their outside shot. Our offense is so dependent on 3 point baskets but we just can't hit anything. Im hoping Thomas, Hall, and Hayes can bring some more firing power from outside. But at this point, im feel like i just get my hopes up for no reason. A loss like last night really just hits you like a bag of bricks.
I'll give some credit to Hellems though, his shot seems to have noticeably improved. He's still really streaky, but he dominated the Wisconsin game by burying 3's.
MarOdoxPhoenician7
Josh hall and Devon Daniels have very similar ball handling, driving, and finishing around the rim capabilities. It works well in high school, hopefully in uni as well.
nryanh94
MarOdoxPhoenician7 said:

Josh hall and Devon Daniels have very similar ball handling, driving, and finishing around the rim capabilities. It works well in high school, hopefully in uni as well.

Josh Hall is also about 4-5 inches taller and a much better shooter lol
metcalfmafia
I think Josh is good enough to to start next year. He is the only freshman coming in that has a shot IMO.
Packfan8

Stay the **** away Roy
nryanh94
metcalfmafia said:

I think Josh is good enough to to start next year. He is the only freshman coming in that has a shot IMO.

I think both Shak and Cam have a shot; not because of their skill set but because I don't think Braxton is a true PG
cmball3
I think Beverly and Allen will start of the year as our guards.
nryanh94
cmball3 said:

I really don't think we see that, that would put us at a huge disadvantage defensively and neither are particularly good distributors. You essentially just have 2 small SGs on the court at that point
cmball3
nryanh94 said:

cmball3 said:

I really don't think we see that, that would put us at a huge disadvantage defensively and neither are particularly good distributors. You essentially just have 2 small SGs on the court at that point

It will take one of those freshman pgs quite a lot to overtake them at the start of the year. I don't see it happening at the beginning. They'll be able to play with DD, DJF or hellems (if DJ leaves) and Bates at the 5.
Will be fun to see the rotation though as I think we can go all out then replace as fatigue sets in if we remain healthy.
WolfpackSI
cmball3 said:

nryanh94 said:

cmball3 said:

It will take one of those freshman pgs quite a lot to overtake them at the start of the year. I don't see it happening at the beginning. They'll be able to play with DD, DJF or hellems (if DJ leaves) and Bates at the 5.
Will be fun to see the rotation though as I think we can go all out then replace as fatigue sets in if we remain healthy.
What has either BB or Allen shown you to say that they will be starting PGs? I sure haven't see it. Bev doesn't even play PG that much...CJ or DD seem to be primary ball handlers when Kell is out. Both are a better fit as the secondary ball-handler guard spot. Its important to have a shooter in that role.

Since its likely we will have 1 scholarship opening with Atticus Taylor leaving then we should really consider getting a grad transfer PG to help transition Cam and Shak into the starting role.
Packfan8
WolfpackSI said:

cmball3 said:

nryanh94 said:

cmball3 said:

What has either BB or Allen shown you to say that they will be starting PGs? I sure haven't see it. Bev doesn't even play PG that much...CJ or DD seem to be primary ball handlers when Kell is out. Both are a better fit as the secondary ball-handler guard spot. Its important to have a shooter in that role.

Since its likely we will have 1 scholarship opening with Atticus Taylor leaving then we should really consider getting a grad transfer PG to help transition Cam and Shak into the starting role.
please understand that Atticus hasn't said he was leaving and even if we lose a player we can't replace it because of the self imposed scholarship reduction for 1 season. If one comes open the response by nc state said they will self impose for next year , if not then we will impose for 21-22
cmball3
The fact that Braxton has run the point when markell has missed games and Keatts likes him as a steady ball handler. Think he'd do it now if he weren't obviously hurting every game with his back injury.
nryanh94
cmball3 said:

The fact that Braxton has run the point when markell has missed games and Keatts likes him as a steady ball handler. Think he'd do it now if he weren't obviously hurting every game with his back injury.

But he really hasn't, Bryce and Daniels have been the primary ball handlers. Beverly has guarded the 1 but that's about it
cmball3
Perfect because DD will be starting with them! He's the most steady ball handler. If healthy, Beverly and Allen will start at the 1&2 to start the season. A freshman may beat them out eventually but it won't start that way.
nryanh94
cmball3 said:

Perfect because DD will be starting with them! He's the most steady ball handler. If healthy, Beverly and Allen will start at the 1&2 to start the season. A freshman may beat them out eventually but it won't start that way.

He's the most steady ball handler, and also makes the same stupid mistakes and turnovers on a regular basis. You don't want that at PG. Especially not in a high ball screen offense where the PG has the ball im his hands so much. If you want to see the nit again next year that's a great way to do it. Let the freshmen run with it and take your lumps, it'll be better for us in the long run; because no one we have returning is a true PG.
cmball3
I'm just telling you who is gonna start the season guy. Every damn player on our team makes dumb decisions.
nryanh94
cmball3 said:

I'm just telling you who is gonna start the season guy. Every damn player on our team makes dumb decisions.

I think you'll see Seabron running the point before you see any of the three you've mentioned. None of them do a good job of taking care of the ball, and with the exception of Daniels, they are defensive liabilities.

Shakeel Moore actually does a really good job of taking care of the ball and is getting better at distributing, throw in he would be a huge upgrade for our pressure from the PG position and I think you'll see him there by mid year.
cmball3
K
Acb0110
nryanh94 said:

cmball3 said:

I think you'll see Seabron running the point before you see any of the three you've mentioned. None of them do a good job of taking care of the ball, and with the exception of Daniels, they are defensive liabilities.

Shakeel Moore actually does a really good job of taking care of the ball and is getting better at distributing, throw in he would be a huge upgrade for our pressure from the PG position and I think you'll see him there by mid year.

Y'all are underestimating seabron. He's a fantastic distributor and pretty good ball handler. He's had a year to learn and get better. Has great size and will be a terror on D. Next year is a toss up as to who plays more.
nryanh94
Acb0110 said:

nryanh94 said:

cmball3 said:

Y'all are underestimating seabron. He's a fantastic distributor and pretty good ball handler. He's had a year to learn and get better. Has great size and will be a terror on D. Next year is a toss up as to who plays more.

I'm not underestimating him at all lol. I think it'll be between him and Moore for the starting PG spot, with Cam having an outside chance (think he's more of an off ball guard as well)
ClePack
Packfan8 said:

Stay the **** away Roy
Well, we tried. No way we get him if UNC offers
ClePack
Acb0110 said:

nryanh94 said:

cmball3 said:

will he qualify? HUGE if.
WolfpackSI
Hmm thats true Dereon has some nice handles. Not sure if its ACC starting pg level but I think hes got some skill. Plus he would bring great length to the positions at 6'6
gopack_83
I think Dereon could start out with ball handling duties:
- Seabron
- Beverly
- Daniels
- Hellems
- Fundy (hopefully)
wufpack7
ClePack said:

Acb0110 said:

Y'all are underestimating seabron. He's a fantastic distributor and pretty good ball handler. He's had a year to learn and get better. Has great size and will be a terror on D. Next year
will he qualify? HUGE if.
He doesn't have to "qualify". He simply has to maintain the same academic standing that any athlete has to maintain to be eligible. If he is still practicing with the team, then that means he did well enough to do so in the first semester. We've had plenty of guys who barely qualified but managed to stay eligible, not really any difference here. In fact, because his GPA was low it meant that he had to have a pretty decent SAT score to get into school due to the sliding scale. I don't know his specific situation, but it SOUNDS to me like the classic guy who slacked off his first couple of years of high school and just couldn't quite catch up once he realized he was good enough to go to college.
First Page Last Page
Page 264 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.