Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,217,565 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
Packfan8
How long do you want to ignore this user?

This kid is huge
Engineer97
Dunlow66 said:

I been drinking tonight so I'm gonna brag a little

Go find a better NCSU recruiting forum...........I dare ya.

It's true. Michael and Cory have their moments though.
Dunlow66
Engineer97 said:

Dunlow66 said:

I been drinking tonight so I'm gonna brag a little

Go find a better NCSU recruiting forum...........I dare ya.

It's true. Michael and Cory have their moments though.
Of course...but I just meant overall discussion.

I think we have a great forum with a lot of solid contributors.
HungryWolf92
Agreed. I've ventured over to other places and rarely find 2-3 posters with any kind of recruiting knowledge/input. I enjoy IPS and think the site has great content.
WolfpackSI
Packfan8 said:

This kid is huge

Someone tell that kid that curling like that is gonna injure his back
Packfan8
Brock Williams is transferring to Greensboro day school. Could have a blow up this year, might be one to watch
IseWolf22
Yeah he needs to lower the weight if he has to swing like that
Dunlow66
IseWolf22 said:

Depends on what is goals are......

Bodybuiding.....slow, slow, slow and much more focus on the negative of controlling the decent

But there are benefits to this method if you are trying to improve explosiveness and power, IMO.

My som and I spent hours and hours in the weight room and he evenutally looked like a bodybuilder after he stopped playing ball. We focused on control. Get a lot more out of the 'negative' than most people know

Raise slowly, lower even slower. All with control. At least that's how we did it.
IseWolf22
Dunlow66 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Bodybuiding.....slow, slow, slow and much more focus on the negative of controlling the decent

But there are benefits to this method if you are trying to improve explosiveness and power, IMO.

My som and I spent hours and hours in the weight room and he evenutally looked like a bodybuilder after he stopped playing ball. We focused on control. Get a lot more out of the 'negative' than most people know

Raise slowly, lower even slower. All with control. At least that's how we did it.
You definitely build more muscle on the eccentric, (lowering) portion of a lift. That's been well researched. Explosive movements are critical in sports exercise. The power clean, push press, snatch row, etc. are all examples of power movements where a little "body english" helps you develop power.

However, I'd never do a curl like that. That movement is putting strain on his lower spine and forcing the back to take part of the load instead of his arms. Less important, but I'm not a big fan of straight bar curls either. I primarily use dumbbells and supplement with the E-Z curl bar
Dunlow66
IseWolf22 said:

Dunlow66 said:

IseWolf22 said:

You definitely build more muscle on the eccentric, (lowering) portion of a lift. That's been well researched. Explosive movements are critical in sports exercise. The power clean, push press, snatch row, etc. are all examples of power movements where a little "body english" helps you develop power.

However, I'd never do a curl like that. That movement is putting strain on his lower spine and forcing the back to take part of the load instead of his arms. Less important, but I'm not a big fan of straight bar curls either. I primarily use dumbbells and supplement with the E-Z curl bar
But you have to give the kid credit.......he has 'gains' to show for his hard work. Already looks stronger than most of our post players.

as for straight bar, I couldnt do curls with one anyway thanks to my wrist. Wore them out long ago. That straight bar would kill me...but my son liked to do a few that way because the balance required helped focus on smaller muscles.
Dunlow66
Recent rumor has the NCAA investigation impacting our recruitment of Cam Thomas

no confirmation on that. Hope it turns out to be inaccurate.
IseWolf22
Dunlow66 said:

IseWolf22 said:

But you have to give the kid credit.......he has 'gains' to show for his hard work. Already looks stronger than most of our post players.

as for straight bar, I couldnt do curls with one anyway thanks to my wrist. Wore them out long ago. That straight bar would kill me...but my son liked to do a few that way because the balance required helped focus on smaller muscles.
Oh yeah, he's ripped. He's also young so he can get away with poor form. College S&C coaches should correct his form before he's doing anything to actually hurt himself
Packfan8
Dunlow66 said:

In July when it first came out he said he wasn't concerned as long as it doesn't affect postseason play. Hopefully Keatts and the university can confirm to him that it won't affect us in the postseason but there's no guarantees with the ncaa. They said "two high profile teams" would get noas in July as well as 6 others. So I guess us and Utah are high profile, I'll take that as a compliment ncaa
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

Dunlow66 said:

In July when it first came out he said he wasn't concerned as long as it doesn't affect postseason play. Hopefully Keatts and the university can confirm to him that it won't affect us in the postseason but there's no guarantees with the ncaa. They said "two high profile teams" would get noas in July as well as 6 others. So I guess us and Utah are high profile, I'll take that as a compliment ncaa
This rumor wasnt from an NCSU person.....if that makes a difference.
Packfan8
Well damn
Packfan8
Will UConn have 12 or 13 scholarships next season. I know they self imposed but I didn't know which season it's for? I looked at verbal commits and they currently have 12 on scholarship so I'm assuming it's for this season but I wasn't sure
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

Will UConn have 12 or 13 scholarships next season. I know they self imposed but I didn't know which season it's for? I looked at verbal commits and they currently have 12 on scholarship so I'm assuming it's for this season but I wasn't sure
Not sure...but they will find a spot for Thomas if he wants to play there. One way or another.
Dunlow66
This is from Jan of 2019

UConn is self-imposing sanctions on its men's basketball program, including the loss of one scholarship for next season, in response to the NCAA allegations released in October.
Struttingwolf96
If it is, **** the ncaa & there hate for NC State. Yeah, still waiting for the rest of the bs to be released so hopefully the administration can go tell them to shove it up there ***. Wonder how it doesn't seem to have any affect on Arizona, but some want to use it as an excuse not to come to State?
nryanh94
Struttingwolf96 said:

If it is, **** the ncaa & there hate for NC State. Yeah, still waiting for the rest of the bs to be released so hopefully the administration can go tell them to shove it up there ***. Wonder how it doesn't seem to have any affect on Arizona, but some want to use it as an excuse not to come to State?

1. Arizona is a bigger brand with more recent success
2. Arizona is the flagship school in their state (and currently their conference with UCLA being down, though Oregon is catching up)
3. Who does Arizona really have to recruit against; we're surrounded by UNC, Duke, UVA, and now Tennessee and Memphis; they have UCLA and a few big 12 schools to worry about
4. They haven't received their NOA yet
5. And this is the biggest one; Sean miller is still there and you can bet your ass that they're still paying guys.
Dunlow66
nryanh94 said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

1. Arizona is a bigger brand with more recent success
2. Arizona is the flagship school in their state (and currently their conference with UCLA being down, though Oregon is catching up)
3. Who does Arizona really have to recruit against; we're surrounded by UNC, Duke, UVA, and now Tennessee and Memphis; they have UCLA and a few big 12 schools to worry about
4. They haven't received their NOA yet
5. And this is the biggest one; Sean miller is still there and you can bet your ass that they're still paying guys.
Yeah, we've discussed this before. We are not Arizona....or even Louisville for that matter. Both programs have done a lot more than NC State has over the last couple of decades.
Dunlow66
Love this picture......

Packfan8
Dunlow66 said:

Love this picture......

if hall is 6'9'' like it's reported then belton is a legit 6'10''
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

Dunlow66 said:

Love this picture......

if hall is 6'9'' like it's reported then belton is a legit 6'10''
Look at how he towers over Farrar....even with the big hair

and those hands of his...Jeez. Raw potential right there.
HungryWolf92
The future? Would be nice!!
Engineer97
Dunlow66 said:

This is from Jan of 2019

UConn is self-imposing sanctions on its men's basketball program, including the loss of one scholarship for next season, in response to the NCAA allegations released in October.
So this isn't scaring Thomas off, but ours is? Is it all about postseason?
nryanh94
Engineer97 said:

Dunlow66 said:

This is from Jan of 2019

The key difference is they've already received their sanctions
Packfan8
nryanh94
Packfan8 said:

Curious if this is Keatts not feeling confident with Hayes, Smith and Moore.
Packfan8
Turns out the staff offered in July. I must have missed this offer
1985 NCSU Grad
nryanh94 said:

Engineer97 said:

Dunlow66 said:

This is from Jan of 2019

Actually it should show anyone that our sanctions will not be bad and noteworthy. We can spin things anyway you want. We must step up and get guys in that can take us to the next level - NO EXCUSES. The kids want to make it to the league and some want an education. Most are not worried about Conference or even NCAA titles.
Dunlow66
1985 NCSU Grad said:

nryanh94 said:

Engineer97 said:

Dunlow66 said:

This is from Jan of 2019

Actually it should show anyone that our sanctions will not be bad and noteworthy. We can spin things anyway you want. We must step up and get guys in that can take us to the next level - NO EXCUSES. The kids want to make it to the league and some want an education. Most are not worried about Conference or even NCAA titles.
You cant make kids come to NC State.....no matter how hard you try.

You can want kids like that all day, doesnt mean you get them. Previos staff recruited a bit differently and now we see where that got us.

We honestly dont know what sanctions the NCAA could or will hit us with.

and again, UConn has had a LOT of success over the last 20 years that we can only dream about. They have won 2 Titles in the last decade.
nryanh94
1985 NCSU Grad said:

nryanh94 said:

Engineer97 said:

Dunlow66 said:

This is from Jan of 2019

How should it show that? Uconn self imposed. Also saying kids don't care about titles is completely false lol, where are you pulling that statement from; additionally if their goal is to make the NBA going to the tournament and performing well helps that goal a ton.
Dunlow66
Packfan8
Juco player Calhoun is releasing his top 5 tomorrow. Haven't heard much on him since offering but if we somehow get in the top 5 he might be a guy to keep an eye on
First Page Last Page
Page 201 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.