Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,223,514 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
Dunlow66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WolfpackSI said:

Man, Everything about Jalen says that he needs one year in college to turn himself into a lottery pick. How the hell does him and his team not see that??
Lot of 'lottery in one year' guys end up as second round picks or undrafted free agents.

Jalen will, IMO, be pretty much the same player after a year in college as he is now but maybe a little more polished and in better condition.

Would that be enough to take a borderline second round pick into the lottery?
1985 NCSU Grad
Dunlow66 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Man, Everything about Jalen says that he needs one year in college to turn himself into a lottery pick. How the hell does him and his team not see that??
Lot of 'lottery in one year' guys end up as second round picks or undrafted free agents.

Jalen will, IMO, be pretty much the same player after a year in college as he is now but maybe a little more polished and in better condition.

Actually it can make a big difference. Being in the program, the physical conditioning, the instruction, the increased competition level, the maturing factor could translate to moving even into the 1st round. There are even additional factors to go to college for at least 1 year.
Dunlow66
1985 NCSU Grad said:

Dunlow66 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Actually it can make a big difference. Being in the program, the physical conditioning, the instruction, the increased competition level, the maturing factor could translate to moving even into the 1st round. There are even additional factors to go to college for at least 1 year.
I dont think kids who only want to go to college for one year to get to the NBA should even be in college.

For every player example you can post that 'it made a big difference' for, I can post 1 who lost millions by having to play one year(Skal Labissiere immediatley comes to mind, Trevon Duval from last year)....probably two for every example you can find.

There is a potential reward but also the rist of losing any shot at ever being drafted.
PackAlpha91
Also, I don't think we should describe these kids as people who "don't value education." (Not calling anyone out but I have seen that phrase on this board a few times). These kids are making the best financial decision for them at a certain point in time. That does not mean they dislike school or learning...
Packfan8
No matter what jalen does I hope he continues to support Wolfpack athletics. He was tagged in a pic on Instagram last week wearing an Nc state shirt at an Atlanta mall
sf59
I'm tired of reading about this kid.
IseWolf22
WolfpackSI said:

That's purely your opinion and not obvious at all
PackFansXL
sf59 said:

I'm tired of reading about this kid.
I completely agree. Let the French kid go pro. Good luck in the G-League. C'est la vie.
WolfpackSI
Dunlow66 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Of course its a risk but theres quite a bit of reward too. Jalen needs eyes on him at this point - I feel like he will get a ton of exposure playing a year in the ACC. I feel like people will compare Jalen to Russell Westbrook in your high pace offense and thats gonna turn a lot of heads and he would shoot up the draft board.
WolfpackSI
IseWolf22 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Ya and? We not allowed to express our opinion on this forum anymore?
IseWolf22
WolfpackSI said:

IseWolf22 said:

WolfpackSI said:

You said it's obvious he needs a year in college. Your statement makes it seem like anything else is ridiculous.
From the discussion in this thread, it's certainly not obvious to everyone
duran_duran
Dunlow66 said:

WolfpackSI said:

It would probably be enough to push him into the first round, which is important in my opinion
WolfpackSI
IseWolf22 said:

WolfpackSI said:

IseWolf22 said:

WolfpackSI said:

You said it's obvious he needs a year in college. Your statement makes it seem like anything else is ridiculous.
From the discussion in this thread, it's certainly not obvious to everyone

Didn't mean to say that its obvious because its not. I completely understand that getting paid is a big, BIG incentive to go pro. but I think the benefits outweigh the risk in Jalen's case. Getting drafted in the lottery give you more money and more staying power in the nba bc a team has invested more in you.
wolf01
At 6' 2.5" the kid needs a LOT of work to ever be a lottery pick. 6'6" with his athleticism and it's a different story. If he stays in this draft, he may go 2nd round and will likely never be heard from again. IMO, he probably needs 2-3 years of college or development somewhere in order to have a chance to stick in the NBA after his initial contract years. I'm not saying college is the best route for him as I don't think he'd make a huge impact in 1 year and would be looking to jump asap or blame our coaching staff that he wasn't ready to 1 and done. I think we'll be far better off getting Markell back and Seabron in - one to help next year and the other to develop in our program.
warlords86
The G League is a lot different than in the old days. Players get called up more often (even if it is just for 10 day contracts - see CJ Williams, Lorenzo Brown). This is just my opinion, but to have the opportunity to work out with NBA level trainers daily, to play against stiffer competition day in and day out, to be able to focus purely on basketball for a year (no class work, exams, etc.), all while getting paid to do it, is worth it if the NBA is where a kid wants to be.

Some facts:

• Players under NBA G League contracts will earn a base salary of $7,000 per month or $35,000 for the five-month regular season (Nov - March)
  • All NBA G League players receive in-season housing, travel day per diem, continuing education opportunities, life skills development offerings and health insurance benefits.
  • A record 50 NBA G League players earned a record 60 GATORADE Call-Ups to the NBA this season, generating earnings of approximately $225,000 per player.
  • A record 53 percent of players on 2017-18 NBA end-of-season rosters have spent time in the NBA G League during their careers.

That is a lot to take into consideration when mulling the decision to go to school or not. Just saying!
PicklePacker
I want him to stay in the draft and I want him to announce it today.
Packfan8
PicklePacker said:

I want markell to announce yesterday and then we as state fans can breath a little bit and just focus on actual recruiting for 2020
Struttingwolf96
Agree. I am tired of the 2019 recruiting cycle, so ready to move on & start hearing more about the so-called Keatts most important 2020 class he is gonna bring in.
Dunlow66
Some people fail to understand that the young man(apparently) doesnt want to go to school

I wonder how many posters would share this same opinion that Lecque needed a year in school if he committed to UNC or Duke?

Remove the 'NCSU fan glasses' and look at this for what it is.

an amazing athlete needs development. He can get pro coaching and spend every waking minute training or playing if he goes pro. No need to 'pretend' to be a student, no restrictions on practice time or workout time. No grades to worry about, etc

Why should he go to college if he doesnt want to and has other options?
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

PicklePacker said:

I want markell to announce yesterday and then we as state fans can breath a little bit and just focus on actual recruiting for 2020
Rumor is Markell may announce in the next few days that he is returning.

Kinda tired of even discussing Lecque anymore. Multiple hints have been dropped by people close to the program that Lecque will not be here next season.

Probably would kill team chemistry if he did.

Maybe we could release Lecque and he could go to one of those blue blood basketball factories for a year. Would that make our fans happy?
Packfan8
Unc has offered Caleb love, I think this is continues to prove they don't want hayes but I could be wrong
Packfan8
And Memphis gets precious. Holy **** penny can get talent in. Maybe it leads to some good wins this season, I will now assume that we lose on thanksgiving
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

And Memphis gets precious. Holy **** penny can get talent in. Maybe it leads to some good wins this season, I will now assume that we lose on thanksgiving
Lets hope they are still learning how to play as a team and we can get the win

but I would not want to face Memphis later in the season.
Packfan8
Dunlow66 said:

Packfan8 said:

Lets hope they are still learning how to play as a team and we can get the win

but I would not want to face Memphis later in the season.

Might be one of the situations where you catch a team early in the season and the win looks huge at the end of the season. Regardless with that much talent they will he hard to beat.
Dunlow66
Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @wojespn 5m5 minutes ago
More

Guard Jalen Lecque of Brewster Academy (NH) has decided against playing today at the NBA Combine based on feedback to his family, per source. Lecque's athleticism was certainly evident for NBA executives on Thursday.
1985 NCSU Grad
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2019-nba-draft-combine-tacko-fall-still-turning-heads-croatias-luka-samanic-on-the-rise-and-other-takeaways/

Definitely not coming back...need to move on....

"2. Jalen Lecque

Jalen Lecque, the Brewster Academy product who is only 18 years old, did not look out of place one bit. Against seasoned veterans on the floor, Lecque, in fact, popped as a prospect as he put to use his uber-athletic gifts to flourish on the court.

Lecque was prone to some bad decision-making on the court when he had the ball in his hands -- and he had the ball in his hands often. But the good far outweighed the bad, as his athleticism and explosiveness stood out. When he had an open court dunk in transition during one scrimmage, I was fearful he may hit his head on the rim. (He didn't, but it was closer than you think.)

Validating this, Lecque had the best max vertical leap of the day among guards at 43 inches and finished second in the standing vertical leap at 35 inches. He's a young prospect who could still go to college and tell the NBA to wait a year, but for teams late in the first or early second round, his long-term potential as a primary playmaker and point guard is enticing, especially considering the value of the position and his flashes of brilliance."

per CBS Sports.com article
ncstats
Dunlow66 said:

Packfan8 said:

PicklePacker said:

Rumor is Markell may announce in the next few days that he is returning.

Kinda tired of even discussing Lecque anymore. Multiple hints have been dropped by people close to the program that Lecque will not be here next season.

Probably would kill team chemistry if he did.

Biggest hit being we have 14 scholarships out right now for 2019..
Dunlow66
Trent Markwith @TMarkwith14 4m4 minutes ago

Standouts for @teamloadednc 2021 vs. Team Loaded 704 (70-49 W):

Elijah Jamison-15P 8R 5A 2S

Jordan Wildy-11P 7R 3B

Tyler Rice-10P 3R 2A 2S (2 3PM)

Jalen McDonald-10P 11R 3A
Dunlow66
Trent Markwith @TMarkwith14 10h10 hours ago

Standouts for @teamloadednc vs. Team SC (76-66 W):

Josh Hall-26P 7R 3S 3B (5 3PM)

Ja'Dun Michael-12P 9R

Carter Whitt-12P 3R 6A 2S

Javarzia Belton-11P 8R 5B
Dunlow66
I really like Javarzia Belton's game. Grown man on the court. Big guy who knows how to use his size and can run the court.

He attends Morovian Prep with Josh Hall.
Packfan8
Dunlow66 said:

I really like Javarzia Belton's game. Grown man on the court. Big guy who knows how to use his size and can run the court.

They're going to have a great roster next year filled with d1 talent
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

Dunlow66 said:

They're going to have a great roster next year filled with d1 talent
Jordan Wildy reclassing and headed to Morovian.
WolfpackSI
Can't help but feel that we pulled the trigger on Danny Dixon too early. Theres still lots of activity going on in the player market. Read that Memphis has a shot of adding RJ Hampton if Rayjon Tucker remains in the draft. Maybe there was a chance there to sill get Rayjon back to NC.

On a side note, Memphis is getting scary but I am kinda glad to see Penny being a pain in the ass to the big blues lol
nryanh94
WolfpackSI said:

Can't help but feel that we pulled the trigger on Danny Dixon too early. Theres still lots of activity going on in the player market. Read that Memphis has a shot of adding RJ Hampton if Rayjon Tucker remains in the draft. Maybe there was a chance there to sill get Rayjon back to NC.

Tucker supposedly had qualifying issues for ACC schools
WolfpackSI
nryanh94 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Tucker supposedly had qualifying issues for ACC schools
ohh gotcha didn't know that. Makes sense
First Page Last Page
Page 170 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.