Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,221,021 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
Struttingwolf96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They could have gave Dixon Seabron's spot & have both MJ & Lecque end up in Raleigh.
WolfPacker54
FergusWolf said:

Do you mean "against NCAA rules" better known as SOP at UN*? or real illegal

(Note, I'm not claiming that UN* gives academic scholarships to atheletes, but rather anything that's "against NCAA rules" is likely standard practice at UN*)

Yes
WolfPacker54
If there was a loophole to go over the scholarship limit, teams would do it constantly. You can't give academic scholarships to basketball players.
Dunlow66
Dunlow66 said:

WolfpackSI said:

So this means that our last scholarship is gonna be filled by either Cone Markell or Lecque?
It means someone currently on the roster(Markell?, Lecque?, Seabron?, mystery transfer?) will not be here when the season starts.
I'll post this again for those wondering about the scholarship situation.
PackDaddy
I'm going with Seabron and Lecque will not be here and Markell comes back. That will leave us with one more scholarship to fill.
PicklePacker
I think Seabron makes it. Lecque is the defector.
Struttingwolf96
Just by MJ & Lecque talking about something on Instagram announcing on the 28th together I'm starting to believe both will be in Raleigh & Keatts already knows Seabron won't make the grade to get in, so his spot went to Dixon. That would be a really good team.

PF ANDREE/Hellems/Taylor
F BRYCE/Daniels/Taylor
C Funderburk/DIXON/Bates
PG JOHNSON/Harris
G Lecque/Beverly

CG Allen-RS

HungryWolf92
I feel like the Lecque ship sailed awhile back. He always striked me as a guy ready to get paid to play. I think getting Johnson back is bigger than anyone we can get to come in for this year.
Dunlow66
HungryWolf92 said:

I feel like the Lecque ship sailed awhile back. He always striked me as a guy ready to get paid to play. I think getting Johnson back is bigger than anyone we can get to come in for this year.
Yep, everything he has done of late indicates he will be going pro.
IseWolf22
nryanh94 said:

duran_duran said:

So how do we know Dixon is? Seems a little hopeful to think we could just create another scholarship for a guy like that.

Idk what his gpa is, but he was in some kind of national honor society out of Hs
The highschool "National Honor Society" is not that impressive and would not alone have any indication that a player is deserving of an academic scholarship.
nryanh94
IseWolf22 said:

nryanh94 said:

duran_duran said:

So how do we know Dixon is? Seems a little hopeful to think we could just create another scholarship for a guy like that.

Idk what his gpa is, but he was in some kind of national honor society out of Hs
The highschool "National Honor Society" is not that impressive and would not alone have any indication that a player is deserving of an academic scholarship.

Never said he was. Was just posting the only thing academic related I could find on him
ClePack
i don't know about anyone else but I'd really like seabron to get here. Keatts needs to build a steady base of experienced players and he needs to get and retain some freshmen in order to do so
ClePack
Struttingwolf96 said:

Just by MJ & Lecque talking about something on Instagram announcing on the 28th together I'm starting to believe both will be in Raleigh & Keatts already knows Seabron won't make the grade to get in, so his spot went to Dixon. That would be a really good team.

PF ANDREE/Hellems/Taylor
F BRYCE/Daniels/Taylor
C Funderburk/DIXON/Bates
PG JOHNSON/Harris
G Lecque/Beverly

CG Allen-RS

wait what? they said they will announce something together? I missed this
wolf01
ClePack said:

i don't know about anyone else but I'd really like seabron to get here. Keatts needs to build a steady base of experienced players and he needs to get and retain some freshmen in order to do so
100% agree. If it's a choice, I'd rather get Seabron in than Lecque. Seabron's a talented kid that has the potential to stick around and develop in the program. A guy like him can add some long term stability to our team. He and Allen would look really good together for a couple of years. If Lecque comes, he'll still need time to develop before he could make a serious impact, but will be out the door long before that happens.
PicklePacker
ClePack said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

PF ANDREE/Hellems/Taylor
F BRYCE/Daniels/Taylor
C Funderburk/DIXON/Bates
PG JOHNSON/Harris
G Lecque/Beverly

CG Allen-RS

wait what? they said they will announce something together? I missed this
There was an instagram story posted by one of the two saying something like, "you know what we talked about". Implying that they'd play together. That was about a week ago.
HungryWolf92
Y'all gotta be careful reading into all of these social media posts lol
Law of the Wolf
For those thinking about getting around the athletic scholarships limit by giving Dixon an academic scholarship, you can't do it.

There is something in the NCAA, it's called Bylaw 15.02.4.3. This rule states that any financial aid except that which is specifically exempted is going to count as athletic aid and make the student a "counter" in terms of scholarships.

Seems like back in the day there's was a different rule. I seem to remember Dean Smith got Rusty Clark a Morehead Scholarship, but that was so long ago I could be remembering wrong.

But think about it using common sense. If you could, we know who would stockpile kids like crazy about 20 miles west of Raleigh.
nryanh94
Law of the Wolf said:

For those thinking about getting around the athletic scholarships limit by giving Dixon an academic scholarship, you can't do it.

There is something in the NCAA, it's called Bylaw 15.02.4.3. This rule states that any financial aid except that which is specifically exempted is going to count as athletic aid and make the student a "counter" in terms of scholarships.

Seems like back in the day there's was a different rule. I seem to remember Dean Smith got Rusty Clark a Morehead Scholarship, but that was so long ago I could be remembering wrong.

But think about it using common sense. If you could, we know who would stockpile kids like crazy about 20 miles west of Raleigh.

So how would walk ons work then?
Dunlow66
nryanh94 said:

Law of the Wolf said:

I'm guessing they would have to pay their own way
nryanh94
Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

Law of the Wolf said:

So walkons can't receive any type of academic scholarship? Even if they were going to receive it without being an athlete? That doesn't smell right
Dunlow66
nryanh94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

Law of the Wolf said:

So walkons can't receive any type of academic scholarship? Even if they were going to receive it without being an athlete? That doesn't smell right
I'm sure they can receive some aid but I dont think it can be 'all expenses paid' .

Moot point anyway, this kid is gonna be on scholarship.
Packfan8
Jeremy roach has committed to Duke in 2020. I think we don't have to worry about duke offering Hayes now, just have to worry about the other ugly blue
Law of the Wolf
I am pretty sure there is a hierarchy. If you have an academic scholarship and walk on you count. If you play football and basketball you count for football. Basketball is second If you play basketball and baseball you count for basketball. Thayer Thomas counts as football. Tim Stoddard counted s basketball. Blackman counted as basketball.
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

Jeremy roach has committed to Duke in 2020. I think we don't have to worry about duke offering Hayes now, just have to worry about the other ugly blue
Roach was also UNC's top PG target.
nryanh94
Dunlow66 said:

Packfan8 said:

Yeah, was gonna say. UNC will likley offer Hayes now. The though up here around Paul Vi was Roach was gonna follow Harris to UNC
Dunlow66
nryanh94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

Packfan8 said:

Yeah, was gonna say. UNC will likley offer Hayes now. The though up here around Paul Vi was Roach was gonna follow Harris to UNC
They did just offer combo guard Bryce Thompson
Ripper
Are people still under the impression that Lecque is coming to State?
WolfpackSI
Ripper said:

Yea? I think everyone here has the same understanding that its like 70/30 that he goes into the draft. Unless you have some info that says otherwise?
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
Thunderhill
nryanh94 said:

Well it could be viewed as a good sign that Markell is retweeting a post about Keatts' summer camps
First, I appreciate the quality info you guys provide on this site-thank you. As someone who knows no one in the know, has no 'sources' and just reads everything I can to learn what's up, sometimes the tweeting updates (I appreciate them as well) seem a little like the scene in Rudolph where Clarice says he's cute. Maybe it will turn out the same-Rudolph had a huge vertical if I recall. :-) I wish I knew how to post that vid clip.
TheStorm
Dunlow66 said:

Dunlow66 said:

WolfpackSI said:

So this means that our last scholarship is gonna be filled by either Cone Markell or Lecque?
It means someone currently on the roster(Markell?, Lecque?, Seabron?, mystery transfer?) will not be here when the season starts.
Again. Why is Dixon wearing the #4 in his picture when we already have a player on the team that wears that number currently?
TheStorm
WolfpackSI said:

Ripper said:

Yea? I think everyone here has the same understanding that its like 70/30 that he goes into the draft. Unless you have some info that says otherwise?
What happens if he stays in the draft but isn't actually drafted?

I thought the "new" rules still allowed him to remain eligible to "come back"? (is that where the rub lies? re: "come back"?)
IseWolf22
He has until May 28th to withdraw
pack1502
TheStorm said:

Dunlow66 said:

Dunlow66 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Again. Why is Dixon wearing the #4 in his picture when we already have a player on the team that wears that number currently?

Probably just the try on Jersey they had in his size those are old jerseys anyway. Pretty sure I've seen other recruits wear #4 as well.
Packfan8
TheStorm said:

WolfpackSI said:

Ripper said:

What happens if he stays in the draft but isn't actually drafted?

I thought the "new" rules still allowed him to remain eligible to "come back"? (is that where the rub lies? re: "come back"?)

I'm kinda confused by this as well, the ncaa has approved of this rule but players have to wait until the nbpa gets together and formally changes the rule for the nba. Right now in the nba you're not eligible to keep your name in the draft multiple times and that's the hold up from what I have read
1985 NCSU Grad
https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/4/5/18296225/nba-draft-2019-rules-agent-deadline

Here is a good explanation of the current rules.
First Page Last Page
Page 165 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.