Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,225,074 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
Dunlow66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ClePack said:

Luke12321 said:

Yeah, missing on Williams and chasing after Brown and him ending up with a crazy recruitment hurt us.

I understand, you can't predict 2 midseason transfers.

Hopefully he can keep the core together that we have now and maybe pick up a HS senior and a 5th year guy.

Right now, if nobody goes pro early to play overseas or d-league (cause none of these guys are getting drafted this year) or transfers, we have 8 returning players who have saw the floor.

Add Bates and the two freshman, we have a legit 11 guys if we had no transfers or early exits.
This happens every year though. Every year something crops up. We'd be better if we kept Saddiq bey, that didn't work. We put too many eggs in the Brown basket, like you said. You have to keep recruiting and you have to be smarter than that as a head coach.
Keatts kept recruiting and even got a commit from Seabron when almost nobody even knew we were after him.

The staff wasnt depending on Brown to be the savior of this class and I doubt he saves anybody. Not having him on the roster, IMO, will liklely allow us to land someone in the 2020 class who may actually want to come to NCSU and stay.

Anybody that thinks Brown graduates from Georgia, raise their hand now......bet you dont see many hands up in the air.
Dunlow66
NCSU1995 said:

wufpack7 said:

Building a high school team at Hargrave every year where you get to legally steal the best players from the high school ranks is in NO WAY comparable to building an ACC program where you can only take other schools' rejects and the very, very small percentage of guys who have graduated and choose to transfer. I have no idea why people bring that up. That would be like me claiming I could win the Masters because I did pretty well in my local club championship.

Grad transfers are great for filling unexpected holes on your roster, but planning to use them as a recruiting strategy is akin to playing the lottery as a retirement strategy.
Exactly. This was my point. If the "strategy" is to wait until high school recruits are signed, the season's over, school starts in 4 months, and you're scrambling for the best of the low level cast-offs ...? I'm not saying don't take them if you have unexpected holes but this is like plugging a dike with your finger. It's no way to build a program. The best bet is to make sure you don't have unexpected holes.
Kind of hard to immediately build that type of stability in a program with a second year coach at the helm and the negative recruiting tactics other5s are using to downgrade our program right now.

If you recruit kids who dont play in an effort to develop them, many of those kids transfer to get PT

If you play young, raw recruits all the time, you lose games and then kids transfer to play for a 'winning program'

Hard to overcome that in just 2 years, especially when the cupboard was left bare by our previous coach

NCSU1995
Dunlow66 said:

NCSU1995 said:

wufpack7 said:

Building a high school team at Hargrave every year where you get to legally steal the best players from the high school ranks is in NO WAY comparable to building an ACC program where you can only take other schools' rejects and the very, very small percentage of guys who have graduated and choose to transfer. I have no idea why people bring that up. That would be like me claiming I could win the Masters because I did pretty well in my local club championship.

Grad transfers are great for filling unexpected holes on your roster, but planning to use them as a recruiting strategy is akin to playing the lottery as a retirement strategy.
Exactly. This was my point. If the "strategy" is to wait until high school recruits are signed, the season's over, school starts in 4 months, and you're scrambling for the best of the low level cast-offs ...? I'm not saying don't take them if you have unexpected holes but this is like plugging a dike with your finger. It's no way to build a program. The best bet is to make sure you don't have unexpected holes.
Kind of hard to immediately build that type of stability in a program with a second year coach at the helm and the negative recruiting tactics other5s are using to downgrade our program right now.

If you recruit kids who dont play in an effort to develop them, many of those kids transfer to get PT

If you play young, raw recruits all the time, you lose games and then kids transfer to play for a 'winning program'

Hard to overcome that in just 2 years, especially when the cupboard was left bare by our previous coach

Not to beat a dead horse but to be clear, my comments weren't directed at C2K but rather towards some folks on here that seem enamoured with grad transfers. I believe in Coach and look forward to better days ahead. I'll keep the faith that he knows what he's doing.
Dunlow66
:Looks like Bama is firing Avery Johnson

Might put Juwan Gary back on the market.
Dunlow66
Dunlow66 said:

Vanderbilt job also now open with the firing of Drew.

Had a few decent commits in Scottie Pipen Jr and Austin Crawley
TheWhiteWolf
Dunlow66 said:

ClePack said:

Luke12321 said:

Yeah, missing on Williams and chasing after Brown and him ending up with a crazy recruitment hurt us.

I understand, you can't predict 2 midseason transfers.

Hopefully he can keep the core together that we have now and maybe pick up a HS senior and a 5th year guy.

Right now, if nobody goes pro early to play overseas or d-league (cause none of these guys are getting drafted this year) or transfers, we have 8 returning players who have saw the floor.

Add Bates and the two freshman, we have a legit 11 guys if we had no transfers or early exits.
This happens every year though. Every year something crops up. We'd be better if we kept Saddiq bey, that didn't work. We put too many eggs in the Brown basket, like you said. You have to keep recruiting and you have to be smarter than that as a head coach.
Keatts kept recruiting and even got a commit from Seabron when almost nobody even knew we were after him.

The staff wasnt depending on Brown to be the savior of this class and I doubt he saves anybody. Not having him on the roster, IMO, will liklely allow us to land someone in the 2020 class who may actually want to come to NCSU and stay.

Anybody that thinks Brown graduates from Georgia, raise their hand now......bet you dont see many hands up in the air.

Potential transfer target in a year or two?
TheWhiteWolf
Its hard for kids to be physically ready to play the style Keatts wants in just a year or two. HS players to lay the foundation and Grad players to fill the gaps seems to be the way to success
Packfan8
Dunlow66 said:

Now that is a player I can get behind. How serious were we recruiting him before?
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

Dunlow66 said:

Now that is a player I can get behind. How serious were we recruiting him before?
We made his top 5
Packfan8
Dunlow66 said:

Packfan8 said:

Dunlow66 said:

We made his top 5

If he wants out then you have to believe the staff will be all over him but we just have to wait and see what he wants
wolfpackjb
Help me out here with Gary. He is highly rated, but I watch youtube clips of him and he just doesn't really jump out at me. What would he bring to next years team?
Packfan8

I haven't seen unc on lists that have reached out. People have said that on inside Caroline they reported that they've reached out but I haven't seen it anywhere else
Packfan8
wolfpackjb said:

Help me out here with Gary. He is highly rated, but I watch youtube clips of him and he just doesn't really jump out at me. What would he bring to next years team?

I've never seen him play but from what I have just read and what I remember others saying about him last summer is that he attack's the rim and can defend multiple positions, not so sure about his jump shot though
wolfpackjb
Yea he would be one of our more highly rated guys, but I'm not sure about his jump shot either. Now if he can provide some shooting, then I'm all for it. Thanks for the response!
nryanh94
wolfpackjb said:

Yea he would be one of our more highly rated guys, but I'm not sure about his jump shot either. Now if he can provide some shooting, then I'm all for it. Thanks for the response!

Gary is a very comparable player to CJ Bryce
Struttingwolf96
Anyone know anything about 2020 F Cameron Stitt(?) out of Charlotte,NC. Is Keatts recruiting him?
Dunlow66
Struttingwolf96 said:

Anyone know anything about 2020 F Cameron Stitt(?) out of Charlotte,NC. Is Keatts recruiting him?
http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/unsigned-senior-spotlight-68-cameron-stitt/
Struttingwolf96
Thanks. You think there's any chance Keatts may go after him?
Packfan8

Another guard grad transfer who will be highly sought after
wolfpackfan00
wolfpackfan00
wolfpackfan00 said:

Just looked more into it. Cylla transferred into UNCW from FAU in May of 2017 after Keatts accepted State job in March.
Packfan8
wolfpackfan00 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

Just looked more into it. Cylla transferred into UNCW from FAU in May of 2017 after Keatts accepted State job in March.

Unless McGrath was just using him wrong he won't play in the ACC I can tell you that, watched him and UNCW multiple times this year and he at best can be a rotation player on a bad big east or AAC school.
wolfpackfan00
Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

Unless McGrath was just using him wrong he won't play in the ACC I can tell you that, watched him and UNCW multiple times this year and he at best can be a rotation player on a bad big east or AAC school.

Ah, okay. Knew nothing about him. Stats looked good and UNCW connection was interesting (before I looked more into it) so that's why I posted it.
wolfpackfan00
Packfan8

Former buffalo player, also holds interest from Florida state, LSU and Georgetown.
Packfan8

Keatts needs to get him to schedule a visit to the final four... of the nit
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

Keatts needs to get him to schedule a visit to the final four... of the nit
Nevada.....king of the transfers.
Struttingwolf96
Yeap. I think they got beat by a bunch of young Gators. Dont really like building a program with transfers no matter how talented the guys are. You want a program to sustain success, not once every few years.
Struttingwolf96
Wonder if Keatts has reached out to McDonald's AA PF/SF Precious Achiuwa out of FL? Just read an article where he says his recruitment & visiting other schools are still open. Had been reported he was down to 5 schools, but what he said it didn't sound that way. Really good athlete, plays hard, & plays good D. Think he would fit in Keatts' system great.
Dunlow66
Former top 30 recruit. Never got going at Providence. Attended Brewster Prep before commiting to the Friars.

Big East Coast Bias @becb_sbn 2h2 hours ago
More

Big news out of Providence tonight, as Makai Ashton-Langford has announced his intentions to transfer.
Packfan8

Referring to 6'7'' guard Jj miles at CFCC. They have two really good prospects that might could play high major basketball
nryanh94
Packfan8 said:

Referring to 6'7'' guard Jj miles at CFCC. They have two really good prospects that might could play high major basketball

Kid can put the ball in the basket
Packfan8
His stats aren't that eye popping but he has some upside on offense and defense. Averaged 15.2 ppg and 5.8 rebounds on a good juco team. 35% from 3 and only 58% from the line this year. The previous season he shot 82% from the line.
nryanh94
Packfan8 said:

His stats aren't that eye popping but he has some upside on offense and defense. Averaged 15.2 ppg and 5.8 rebounds on a good juco team. 35% from 3 and only 58% from the line this year. The previous season he shot 82% from the line.

I don't read to much into that. Funderburke averaged 11.5 and 5 rebs in juco, and he transitioned pretty well
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

and he is from Garysburg, NC.

Bonus points if you know where it is without looking it up
First Page Last Page
Page 125 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.