Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,216,503 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
NCSU1995
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grad transfers are last ditch efforts not a strategy.
ClePack
so UNC is getting Tucker. Maybe there's someone else we can go after?
nryanh94
NCSU1995 said:

They're very much a strategy lmao. What are you even talking about? You get the chance to add a seasoned player who can contribute you take that
metcalfmafia
nryanh94 said:

NCSU1995 said:

They're very much a strategy lmao. What are you even talking about? You get the chance to add a seasoned player who can contribute you take that
Yeah I think you take a mix of both if you want to compete every year. Stay old is Keatts strategy.
nryanh94
metcalfmafia said:

nryanh94 said:

NCSU1995 said:

Yeah I think you take a mix of both if you want to compete every year. Stay old is Keatts strategy.

Right, in a dream world you'd love to get Hs seniors and then have them stay for 4-5 years to building continuity, but there are very few teams that manage to accomplish that in today's game. So the way you end up with older players in grad transfers
Luke12321
Old players that have never played in your system.

A system that most will tell you....needs more than 1 year to become proficient at.

nryanh94
Luke12321 said:

A system that most will tell you....needs more than 1 year to become proficient at.

Older players can usually be taught much faster than freshmen for one; they usually have a pretty high basketball IQ from 3-4 years of film study/practices. Also, who's to say you don't target players who have played in a system similar to ours.

Those of you writing off Grad Transfers are funny to me. Theyre most likely going to produce more for you than a HS senior.

Also, Keatts is used to teaching his system in a shorter amount of time. He rebuilt his roster every single year at hargrave with new players.
RDUwolfpack
ClePack said:

is this official?
ClePack
RDUwolfpack said:

ClePack said:

is this official?
No, but I expect it to become official. He's from NC, after-all
Packfan8
nryanh94 said:

Luke12321 said:

Older players can usually be taught much faster than freshmen for one; they usually have a pretty high basketball IQ from 3-4 years of film study/practices. Also, who's to say you don't target players who have played in a system similar to ours.

Those of you writing off Grad Transfers are funny to me. Theyre most likely going to produce more for you than a HS senior.

Also, Keatts is used to teaching his system in a shorter amount of time. He rebuilt his roster every single year at hargrave with new players.

If it translates to wins then why does it matter
nryanh94
Packfan8 said:

nryanh94 said:

Luke12321 said:

If it translates to wins then why does it matter

It doesn't matter, at all. Just get guys that can play
wufpack7
Building a high school team at Hargrave every year where you get to legally steal the best players from the high school ranks is in NO WAY comparable to building an ACC program where you can only take other schools' rejects and the very, very small percentage of guys who have graduated and choose to transfer. I have no idea why people bring that up. That would be like me claiming I could win the Masters because I did pretty well in my local club championship.

Grad transfers are great for filling unexpected holes on your roster, but planning to use them as a recruiting strategy is akin to playing the lottery as a retirement strategy.
Struttingwolf96
Agree. Don't mind the grad transfers & traditional transfers, but if your gonna build your program on it. You won't be successful, maybe one year if all the stars align, but it's not a recipe for success. Would like to go that route to fill holes needed.
PackFansXL
wufpack7 said:

Building a high school team at Hargrave every year where you get to legally steal the best players from the high school ranks is in NO WAY comparable to building an ACC program where you can only take other schools' rejects and the very, very small percentage of guys who have graduated and choose to transfer. I have no idea why people bring that up. That would be like me claiming I could win the Masters because I did pretty well in my local club championship.

Grad transfers are great for filling unexpected holes on your roster, but planning to use them as a recruiting strategy is akin to playing the lottery as a retirement strategy.
I guess I will give you a few points for your perspective on Hargrave, but the odds of landing quality grad transfers are much closer to a coin toss than they are the lottery. We had pretty good success with two grad transfers just last season. Think about that for a second. A new coach added transfers to a team coming off a terrible record and finished in a tie for 3rd in the ACC in year one. The likelihood our staff will produce a winner is FAR greater than the likelihood you will win the lottery even if you buy 1000 tickets.
RDUwolfpack
PackFansXL said:

wufpack7 said:

I guess I will give you a few points for your perspective on Hargrave, but the odds of landing quality grad transfers are much closer to a coin toss than they are the lottery. We had pretty good success with two grad transfers just last season. Think about that for a second. A new coach added transfers to a team coming off a terrible record and finished in a tie for 3rd in the ACC in year one. The likelihood our staff will produce a winner is FAR greater than the likelihood you will win the lottery even if you buy 1000 tickets.
You have the same chance of winning the lottery if you play or if you do not.
nryanh94
Some of you need to realize that this isn't the same college basketball you watched growing up. If you aren't going after Grad transfers/traditional transfers you're probably not going to be very successful in todays game
nryanh94
wufpack7 said:

It's very relevant in the context I was using it in lol. The argument was you couldn't teach grad transfers his system in a short amount of time, but he was able to do it with HS seniors running the same system.

Packfan8
Struttingwolf96 said:

Agree. Don't mind the grad transfers & traditional transfers, but if your gonna build your program on it. You won't be successful, maybe one year if all the stars align, but it's not a recipe for success. Would like to go that route to fill holes needed.

I think he's definitely trying to build the program with high school seniors but the reality is he struck out on Patrick Williams and we were only expecting 2 scholarships open before the season, we had two players transfer mid season so we have to take what we can.
Luke12321
Yeah, missing on Williams and chasing after Brown and him ending up with a crazy recruitment hurt us.

I understand, you can't predict 2 midseason transfers.

Hopefully he can keep the core together that we have now and maybe pick up a HS senior and a 5th year guy.

Right now, if nobody goes pro early to play overseas or d-league (cause none of these guys are getting drafted this year) or transfers, we have 8 returning players who have saw the floor.

Add Bates and the two freshman, we have a legit 11 guys if we had no transfers or early exits.
Packfan8
Look on tucker's Instagram story, I maybe reading into this too much but he doesn't seem interested in N.C. state
wolfpackfan00
Packfan8 said:

Look on tucker's Instagram story, I maybe reading into this too much but he doesn't seem interested in N.C. state
Just saw it as well. Someone told him to go to NC State and he responds "Why?"....
nryanh94
wolfpackfan00 said:

Packfan8 said:

Just saw it as well. Someone told him to go to NC State and he responds "Why?"....

Followed it up with saying "That's home home" when someone said go to unc
Packfan8
nryanh94 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

Packfan8 said:

Followed it up with saying "That's home home" when someone said go to unc

Yep if they seriously go after him and not just reach out then he'll likely be in Carolina blue
unreal13
So onto Chris Harris? He would fill our need for an efficient 3 point shooter.
PackHawk0619
So you're saying there's a chance?!
ClePack
Luke12321 said:

Yeah, missing on Williams and chasing after Brown and him ending up with a crazy recruitment hurt us.

Hopefully he can keep the core together that we have now and maybe pick up a HS senior and a 5th year guy.

Right now, if nobody goes pro early to play overseas or d-league (cause none of these guys are getting drafted this year) or transfers, we have 8 returning players who have saw the floor.

Add Bates and the two freshman, we have a legit 11 guys if we had no transfers or early exits.
This happens every year though. Every year something crops up. We'd be better if we kept Saddiq bey, that didn't work. We put too many eggs in the Brown basket, like you said. You have to keep recruiting and you have to be smarter than that as a head coach.
ClePack
Packfan8 said:

Like I said, expect him to end up at UNC. We need to take our efforts elsewhere
PackAlpha91
Bey was worried about the FBI investigation. What could KK do about that?
nryanh94
ClePack said:

Luke12321 said:

This happens every year though. Every year something crops up. We'd be better if we kept Saddiq bey, that didn't work. We put too many eggs in the Brown basket, like you said. You have to keep recruiting and you have to be smarter than that as a head coach.

I don't think we really tried that hard for Brown lol
ClePack
PackAlpha91 said:

Thought bey left when we added steere or harris? Can't remember which
ClePack
nryanh94 said:

ClePack said:

Luke12321 said:

I don't think we really tried that hard for Brown lol
You may be right, but we were not directing those efforts at anyone else, apparently
PackAlpha91
Bey doesn't play either of their positions. IDK those additions would make him look elsewhere. I remember Dun saying it was about the FBI stuff.
NCSU1995
wufpack7 said:

Exactly. This was my point. If the "strategy" is to wait until high school recruits are signed, the season's over, school starts in 4 months, and you're scrambling for the best of the low level cast-offs ...? I'm not saying don't take them if you have unexpected holes but this is like plugging a dike with your finger. It's no way to build a program. The best bet is to make sure you don't have unexpected holes.
Dunlow66
PackAlpha91 said:

I have heard Bey is/was not the only one.
WolfPacker54
Dunlow66 said:

PackAlpha91 said:

I have heard Bey is/was not the only one.
First Page Last Page
Page 124 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.