Putting My Dog Down

1,131 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Wilson
flylike44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
15 years is a good run. Unfortunately my lil buddy Kiwi is suffering. So we made the decision to pamper her for a few days before we (me, my wife, 2 kids) say goodbye.

If you have a sec, send some prayers her way.

ncsupack1
Thinking about you and your family.
packgrad
God bless you and your family. Such a hard thing to do.
flylike44
ncsupack1 said:

Thinking about you and your family.

Thanks dude
flylike44
packgrad said:

God bless you and your family. Such a hard thing to do.

Thank you my friend
TheStorm
Had a little tear come to my eye as I read this, this morning... that's got to be a difficult decision. Enjoy your time that you have left together.
flylike44
TheStorm said:

Had a little tear come to my eye as I read this, this morning... that's got to be a difficult decision. Enjoy your time that you have left together.

Thanks dude. You've been around longer than I have I think? I joined PP in 2002. It's like we're related!
Gulfstream4
flylike44 said:

15 years is a good run. Unfortunately my lil buddy Kiwi is suffering. So we made the decision to pamper her for a few days before we (me, my wife, 2 kids) say goodbye.

All dogs go to heaven. RIP sweet baby.
flylike44
Gulfstream4 said:

flylike44 said:

All dogs go to heaven. RIP sweet baby.

Thank you brother
Ground_Chuck
Dogs are the best.

Thinking of you and your family.
DrummerboyWolf
We had to put our girl Sophie down in June. It's not easy. They are definitely a member of the family.

We had a vet come to the house. It's expensive, but usually worth it as she is surrounded by family and it's the last thing they see.

Best of luck to you and sending prayers your way.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
packofwolves
So sorry to hear this news for your family. Dogs are family members and our best friends. Prayers sent.
hokiewolf
Hardest thing I ever had to do. Miss this guy every day.
CoachCase
Dogs are loyal and faithful. Regardless of what kind of day you are having, they will always be glad to see you. I have been right where you are at too many times. I feel your pain.
TheStorm
Sometimes they also just know when it's time to go on their own. We have been very fortunate that way. Two small indoor dogs and two outdoor cats so far and my wife and I will have to go through it one more time with our little guy who turns 10 next month. He still has a ton of tread left on the tires still, but we know that our time left with him won't be forever. There won't be another one for us after this - it's just too hard when they leave.

Our first dog who we got for our daughter (oldest of our two children) as a puppy for Christmas when she was 2, passed the evening one day short of her (dog's) 16th birthday laying on the couch with my wife watching TV. The 2nd cat almost made it to age 21 (just a few months short) and was still eating just as healthy as he ever was. Would be waiting at the back sliding glass door every morning and late afternoon, to come skulking into the kitchen to get fed and then he'd want to go right back out. Found him lying in his bed / dog dome thing inside our screened-in porch that we kept propped open for him one morning.
Packchem91
I can't read this thread. I'll start tearing up like I do when I hear Stapleton sing "Maggie's song".
Bless you though (and your family). You guys need the prayers because of the hurt.

I've always said "I'll never be that guy", but now with my golden doodle Henry, he rides with me daily to get CFA in the morning or Lowe's to get yard stuff, or sometimes just on a joy ride with his head out the sun roof. Or brings me his soccer ball every evening for a game. We think everything he does is hilarious, and gets by with much more than any of our kids ever did lol.
I can't imagine when that time comes, it makes me sick thinking about it.
flylike44
Thank you for all your kind words folks. I really appreciate it.
jkpackfan
I had to do it 6 years ago and still miss him everyday. Dogs are the absolute best.

Prayers for you and your family.
Civilized
Dogs are the some of the best stuff in life, man.

Like you said, Kiwi's had a fantastic run and couldn't have had a better forever family. Deciding it's time is a terribly hard decision, but remember it's an act of love also.

Hope you've had a chance to love her up here at the end and she's had all the ice cream treats and peanut butter kongs a sweet old girl could ever want.

Prayers up for Kiwi and your family buddy. Hope this week goes as well as it possibly can under the circumstances.

flylike44
Civilized said:

Like you said, Kiwi's had a fantastic run and couldn't have had a better forever family. Deciding it's time is a terribly hard decision, but remember it's an act of love also.

Hope you've had a chance to love her up here at the end and she's had all the ice cream treats and peanut butter kongs a sweet old girl could ever want.

Prayers up for Kiwi and your family buddy. Hope this week goes as well as it possibly can under the circumstances.

Thank you Civ. She's a puppucino kinda gal.
Civilized
flylike44 said:

Civilized said:

Thank you Civ. She's a puppucino kinda gal.

Awwww...sweet girl. Hope she gets her fill of her favorite treat at Starbucks then!
wolf howl
Packchem91 said:

I can't read this thread. I'll start tearing up like I do when I hear Stapleton sing "Maggie's song".
Bless you though (and your family). You guys need the prayers because of the hurt.

I've always said "I'll never be that guy", but now with my golden doodle Henry, he rides with me daily to get CFA in the morning or Lowe's to get yard stuff, or sometimes just on a joy ride with his head out the sun roof. Or brings me his soccer ball every evening for a game. We think everything he does is hilarious, and gets by with much more than any of our kids ever did lol.
I can't imagine when that time comes, it makes me sick thinking about it.

Same. We had our (my) first dog as a family pet for 17 years and dumb me thought, well, I'll take him to the vet and do what needs to be done and go to work afterwards. Wrong. I was a mess the rest of the day. They're definitely family and it sucks to lose them.

A pet is a part of your time on this planet but you're their entire life so it makes sense they love so unconditionally for as long as they're around.

Sorry OP you're going through it, tough time for sure.
flylike44
hokiewolf said:

Hardest thing I ever had to do. Miss this guy every day.

What a beautiful pup. I'm so sorry brother.
hokiewolf
Grumpiest old man dog on the planet!
erniencsu02
sorry for your losses guys

Just remember there are tons and tons of good boys and good girls just waiting to be adopted.
And they'd be more than happy to help comfort you thru your grief....
FinsUp
Hate reading this, truly sorry.

Been a year since my dog passed...........Think about him daily.
TraCha4
Prayers for you and your family. I had to do this back in March of this year. My little guy was 16. I cried for two days.
caryking
Such a difficult thing to do. I still think about my dog, we put down this year, on a daily basis. Prayers to you and your family…
Glasswolf
Prayers sent.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. Jim Valvano.

Glasswolf
erniencsu02 said:

Just remember there are tons and tons of good boys and good girls just waiting to be adopted.
Absolutely. When the time is right always adopt. They just want a home and to be loved. If I had unlimited resources I'd go get everyone of them.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. Jim Valvano.

flylike44
Oh for sure. Both our pups are rescues.
flylike44
Glasswolf said:

erniencsu02 said:

Absolutely. When the time is right always adopt. They just want a home and to be loved. If I had unlimited resources I'd go get everyone of them.

Anytime anyone asks "what would you do if you won the lottery?", I always include adopting every dog I can find and/or opening a no kill shelter staffed by me lol.
Glasswolf
flylike44 said:

Glasswolf said:

erniencsu02 said:

Anytime anyone asks "what would you do if you won the lottery?", I always include adopting every dog I can find and/or opening a no kill shelter staffed by me lol.

erniencsu02
flylike44 said:

Glasswolf said:

erniencsu02 said:

fostering is a good way of saving lives without having to win the lottery to help. I always encourage fostering. It feels so great when they get adopted out. So far 3 of the 4 dogs I've fostered this year have gotten adopted and the last one is right on the brink of being adopted. I never fostered until this year. And a foster you dont have to treat as a pet....like your just trying to give a foster a temporary living condition equal to or better than an animal shelter. I have made half my shed in the back of my house available for a foster to stay in, it's a really nice brand new shed and has served it's purpose well so far.
Wilson
I'm sorry
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.