ENCstyleBBQWolf's Cookin' Thread....

20,505 Views | 397 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by ncsupack1
justaguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For what ever reason I really enjoy this thread. Sorta peaceful just reading what everyone is eating.
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doing brats on the grill for dinner.
GetOffMyLawnPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fixed just a good home cooked meal for wife for Mother's Day. Prepped top sirloin round roast last night with half package of Knorr French Onion Soup mix as a rub, couple of skeets of worchestershire sauce in the cup of water that the roast sits in. Into the frig. Got up to pee about 4:30, tossed into the oven, set for 240F and cooked until 11:30a. Made homemade creamed potatoes, baby limas, and my crispy flat cornbread. No pics; sorry.
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Fixed just a good home cooked meal for wife for Mother's Day. Prepped top sirloin round roast last night with half package of Knorr French Onion Soup mix as a rub, couple of skeets of worchestershire sauce in the cup of water that the roast sits in. Into the frig. Got up to pee about 4:30, tossed into the oven, set for 240F and cooked until 11:30a. Made homemade creamed potatoes, baby limas, and my crispy flat cornbread. No pics; sorry.



Sounds good
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got the day to myself. Going to whip up some breakfast, eggs ( sunny side up ) and sausage. And of course coffee and watch it rain.
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BBW12OG said:

ncsupack1 said:

Thanks for sharing. I've always want to try smoke turkey like that.
I have tried to smoke boneless turkey breasts several times.

I've brined them, quick brined them, marinated them, injected them, you name it I have tried it.

My wife and I first went to KC 8-9 years ago and she absolutely fell in love with it.

Particularly "Jack Stack's BBQ" smoked turkey breast. I know it is a chain there but I have to give it to them... they absolutely nail the smoked turkey.

I have not been able to come close to getting the flavor profile, tenderness and juiciness of theirs. I have made some valiant efforts but it always comes out too dry, too smoked or too tough. Even with injections I can't seem to get what I am looking for.

Any advice would be appreciated!


I do a dry brine. I've used this serious eats method, among others, with good results. https://www.seriouseats.com/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-brining-turkey-chicken-thanksgiving
To me that makes all the difference. Even having to overcook the breast to get the thighs to temp, they still come out moist.

I prefer cooking over the Joetisserie now as opposed to smoking the turkey/breast though. The fat dripping onto the coals gives a great flavor. More importantly, the skin is much better. Smoking it always leaves the skin rubbery. Rotisseries doesn't get you fried quality skin, but it's still damn good.
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
packgrad said:

BBW12OG said:

ncsupack1 said:

Thanks for sharing. I've always want to try smoke turkey like that.
I have tried to smoke boneless turkey breasts several times.

I've brined them, quick brined them, marinated them, injected them, you name it I have tried it.

My wife and I first went to KC 8-9 years ago and she absolutely fell in love with it.

Particularly "Jack Stack's BBQ" smoked turkey breast. I know it is a chain there but I have to give it to them... they absolutely nail the smoked turkey.

I have not been able to come close to getting the flavor profile, tenderness and juiciness of theirs. I have made some valiant efforts but it always comes out too dry, too smoked or too tough. Even with injections I can't seem to get what I am looking for.

Any advice would be appreciated!


I do a dry brine. I've used this serious eats method, among others, with good results. https://www.seriouseats.com/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-brining-turkey-chicken-thanksgiving
To me that makes all the difference. Even having to overcook the breast to get the thighs to temp, they still come out moist.

I prefer cooking over the Joetisserie now as opposed to smoking the turkey/breast though. The fat dripping onto the coals gives a great flavor. More importantly, the skin is much better. Smoking it always leaves the skin rubbery. Rotisseries doesn't get you fried quality skin, but it's still damn good.
Thanks for sharing.
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
justaguy said:

For what ever reason I really enjoy this thread. Sorta peaceful just reading what everyone is eating.

Totally!
BBW12OG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
packgrad said:

BBW12OG said:

ncsupack1 said:

Thanks for sharing. I've always want to try smoke turkey like that.
I have tried to smoke boneless turkey breasts several times.

I've brined them, quick brined them, marinated them, injected them, you name it I have tried it.

My wife and I first went to KC 8-9 years ago and she absolutely fell in love with it.

Particularly "Jack Stack's BBQ" smoked turkey breast. I know it is a chain there but I have to give it to them... they absolutely nail the smoked turkey.

I have not been able to come close to getting the flavor profile, tenderness and juiciness of theirs. I have made some valiant efforts but it always comes out too dry, too smoked or too tough. Even with injections I can't seem to get what I am looking for.

Any advice would be appreciated!


I do a dry brine. I've used this serious eats method, among others, with good results. https://www.seriouseats.com/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-brining-turkey-chicken-thanksgiving
To me that makes all the difference. Even having to overcook the breast to get the thighs to temp, they still come out moist.

I prefer cooking over the Joetisserie now as opposed to smoking the turkey/breast though. The fat dripping onto the coals gives a great flavor. More importantly, the skin is much better. Smoking it always leaves the skin rubbery. Rotisseries doesn't get you fried quality skin, but it's still damn good.
Thank You!! I will give it a try again in a couple of weeks. I want to definitely be dialed in on that by T'giving!
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Going to do penne and marinara, got some meat that needs to be cooked.
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Burgers and dogs later. Hopefully the rain stays away for the grilling.
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rain has put a damper on the plans….4 Roses is still going strong.
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So what's the modified plan ncsu?

Wait out the rain?

Different menu?

Brown water diet?

FTR there is nothing like the sweet sweet nectar of post-win bourbon.
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We've been without a grill for several months post-move. My trusty charcoal smoker finally rusted out and I scrapped it during the move.

Just picked up a gently used Weber Genesis this morning to tide me over while I research grills and smokers. Haven't had a gas grill in 15 years or more, been exclusively charcoal during that time. Plan to do both charcoal and gas moving forward but excited about the having the convenience of gas again as an option!

Going to connect it to natural gas tomorrow and I need some inspiration for my first grill on it tomorrow.

BBQ Chicken thighs? Burgers and dogs? Fish? Other?

Give me some inspiration, peeps!
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Civilized said:

So what's the modified plan ncsu?

Wait out the rain?

Different menu?

Brown water diet?

FTR there is nothing like the sweet sweet nectar of post-win bourbon.


Ha…awesome questions…the wife cooked the burgers indoors on the cast iron skillet. 4 roses…are going down good.
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Civilized said:

We've been without a grill for several months post-move. My trusty charcoal smoker finally rusted out and I scrapped it during the move.

Just picked up a gently used Weber Genesis this morning to tide me over while I research grills and smokers. Haven't had a gas grill in 15 years or more, been exclusively charcoal during that time. Plan to do both charcoal and gas moving forward but excited about the having the convenience of gas again as an option!

Going to connect it to natural gas tomorrow and I need some inspiration for my first grill on it tomorrow.

BBQ Chicken thighs? Burgers and dogs? Fish? Other?

Give me some inspiration, peeps!


All of the above sounds good. Let us know what you go with and how it turns out. I personally like chicken. Any drinks involved?
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

We've been without a grill for several months post-move. My trusty charcoal smoker finally rusted out and I scrapped it during the move.

Just picked up a gently used Weber Genesis this morning to tide me over while I research grills and smokers. Haven't had a gas grill in 15 years or more, been exclusively charcoal during that time. Plan to do both charcoal and gas moving forward but excited about the having the convenience of gas again as an option!

Going to connect it to natural gas tomorrow and I need some inspiration for my first grill on it tomorrow.

BBQ Chicken thighs? Burgers and dogs? Fish? Other?

Give me some inspiration, peeps!


All of the above sounds good. Let us know what you go with and how it turns out. I personally like chicken. Any drinks involved?

Yeah I've been craving that delicious caramelized crust you get with good barbecue chicken myself. Will likely hit up the Fresh Market tomorrow morning and see how the chicken selection looks.

Also pairs well with a big batch of homemade Mac and cheese I did per my boy's birthday request last night. I do mine with a ton of extra sharp yellow cheddar, white cheddar, a little parm sprinkled in for depth of flavor, splash of milk, and lots of salt and pepper.

Will let you know how it turns out.

I'm working on an NC sour mash whiskey I picked up at the beach called The Reverend. Call Family Distillery out of Wilkesboro. Really really smooth. Very impressed so far. Celebrating the big win tonight with some in hand and the celebration will almost certainly continue during the grill tomorrow.
Radman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Found this recipe for salmon last week. I haven't had a chance to try it but it looks good.
Give it a try civ and let me know if it's any good.

https://heygrillhey.com/grilled-teriyaki-salmon/
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Radman said:

Found this recipe for salmon last week. I haven't had a chance to try it but it looks good.
Give it a try civ and let me know if it's any good.

https://heygrillhey.com/grilled-teriyaki-salmon/

Oooohhh, like! Sounds delish, thanks!

My wife loves salmon and for a quick weeknight meal we'll hit it with avo oil and salt and air fry a couple of salmon steaks and then pair it with a creamy dill sauce. Haven't thought to take it in the teriyaki direction but will def try this, thanks!
Radman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Found a couple of good recipes on that web site. Smoked chicken breast a couple of weeks ago.
Bockwinkle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

We've been without a grill for several months post-move. My trusty charcoal smoker finally rusted out and I scrapped it during the move.

Just picked up a gently used Weber Genesis this morning to tide me over while I research grills and smokers. Haven't had a gas grill in 15 years or more, been exclusively charcoal during that time. Plan to do both charcoal and gas moving forward but excited about the having the convenience of gas again as an option!

Going to connect it to natural gas tomorrow and I need some inspiration for my first grill on it tomorrow.

BBQ Chicken thighs? Burgers and dogs? Fish? Other?

Give me some inspiration, peeps!


All of the above sounds good. Let us know what you go with and how it turns out. I personally like chicken. Any drinks involved?

Yeah I've been craving that delicious caramelized crust you get with good barbecue chicken myself. Will likely hit up the Fresh Market tomorrow morning and see how the chicken selection looks.

Also pairs well with a big batch of homemade Mac and cheese I did per my boy's birthday request last night. I do mine with a ton of extra sharp yellow cheddar, white cheddar, a little parm sprinkled in for depth of flavor, splash of milk, and lots of salt and pepper.

Will let you know how it turns out.

I'm working on an NC sour mash whiskey I picked up at the beach called The Reverend. Call Family Distillery out of Wilkesboro. Really really smooth. Very impressed so far. Celebrating the big win tonight with some in hand and the celebration will almost certainly continue during the grill tomorrow.


Sounds good and can't wait for a follow up.
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Radman said:

Found this recipe for salmon last week. I haven't had a chance to try it but it looks good.
Give it a try civ and let me know if it's any good.

https://heygrillhey.com/grilled-teriyaki-salmon/
Thanks for posting. I'm a big fan of salmon.
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

We've been without a grill for several months post-move. My trusty charcoal smoker finally rusted out and I scrapped it during the move.

Just picked up a gently used Weber Genesis this morning to tide me over while I research grills and smokers. Haven't had a gas grill in 15 years or more, been exclusively charcoal during that time. Plan to do both charcoal and gas moving forward but excited about the having the convenience of gas again as an option!

Going to connect it to natural gas tomorrow and I need some inspiration for my first grill on it tomorrow.

BBQ Chicken thighs? Burgers and dogs? Fish? Other?

Give me some inspiration, peeps!


All of the above sounds good. Let us know what you go with and how it turns out. I personally like chicken. Any drinks involved?

Yeah I've been craving that delicious caramelized crust you get with good barbecue chicken myself. Will likely hit up the Fresh Market tomorrow morning and see how the chicken selection looks.

Also pairs well with a big batch of homemade Mac and cheese I did per my boy's birthday request last night. I do mine with a ton of extra sharp yellow cheddar, white cheddar, a little parm sprinkled in for depth of flavor, splash of milk, and lots of salt and pepper.

Will let you know how it turns out.

I'm working on an NC sour mash whiskey I picked up at the beach called The Reverend. Call Family Distillery out of Wilkesboro. Really really smooth. Very impressed so far. Celebrating the big win tonight with some in hand and the celebration will almost certainly continue during the grill tomorrow.


Sounds good and can't wait for a follow up.

Sunday grill turned out great. Fresh Market had some good looking boneless thighs so went that direction. Did half BBQ and half with just olive oil and salt/pepper. Definitely what I'd been craving.

Did sides of homemade Mac/cheese, fruit salad, and green beans.

Not fancy for sure but a nice easy grill and simple summer meal was just what the Dr. ordered!

ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
^ that looks great! Glad it all worked out.
GetOffMyLawnPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ncsupack1 said:

Rain has put a damper on the plans….4 Roses is still going strong.
During my high school days in early 70's, stayed in the Landmark Inn at Atlantic Beach. Saturday afternoon, drank almost an entire pint of 4 roses. Passed out late afternoon. Buddies went got supper. I hear knock on the door and it was a couple of girls wanting me to hurry and come down to their room where I staggered and some drunk partier had somehow shattered the tank on the toilet. Water going everywhere. I shut off the water below the tank and advised they tell the front office and have their wallet ready. Invited the girls down to my room to change from their soaking wet clothes. They were very appreciative of me shutting the water off and offering my room. Nice impromptu show. Fun times. All of us ended up getting banned from staying at the Landmark Inn ever again.
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Rain has put a damper on the plans….4 Roses is still going strong.
During my high school days in early 70's, stayed in the Landmark Inn at Atlantic Beach. Saturday afternoon, drank almost an entire pint of 4 roses. Passed out late afternoon. Buddies went got supper. I hear knock on the door and it was a couple of girls wanting me to hurry and come down to their room where I staggered and some drunk partier had somehow shattered the tank on the toilet. Water going everywhere. I shut off the water below the tank and advised they tell the front office and have their wallet ready. Invited the girls down to my room to change from their soaking wet clothes. They were very appreciative of me shutting the water off and offering my room. Nice impromptu show. Fun times. All of us ended up getting banned from staying at the Landmark Inn ever again.


Now that is a story.
GetOffMyLawnPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

We've been without a grill for several months post-move. My trusty charcoal smoker finally rusted out and I scrapped it during the move.

Just picked up a gently used Weber Genesis this morning to tide me over while I research grills and smokers. Haven't had a gas grill in 15 years or more, been exclusively charcoal during that time. Plan to do both charcoal and gas moving forward but excited about the having the convenience of gas again as an option!

Going to connect it to natural gas tomorrow and I need some inspiration for my first grill on it tomorrow.

BBQ Chicken thighs? Burgers and dogs? Fish? Other?

Give me some inspiration, peeps!


All of the above sounds good. Let us know what you go with and how it turns out. I personally like chicken. Any drinks involved?

Yeah I've been craving that delicious caramelized crust you get with good barbecue chicken myself. Will likely hit up the Fresh Market tomorrow morning and see how the chicken selection looks.

Also pairs well with a big batch of homemade Mac and cheese I did per my boy's birthday request last night. I do mine with a ton of extra sharp yellow cheddar, white cheddar, a little parm sprinkled in for depth of flavor, splash of milk, and lots of salt and pepper.

Will let you know how it turns out.

I'm working on an NC sour mash whiskey I picked up at the beach called The Reverend. Call Family Distillery out of Wilkesboro. Really really smooth. Very impressed so far. Celebrating the big win tonight with some in hand and the celebration will almost certainly continue during the grill tomorrow.


Sounds good and can't wait for a follow up.
For the best crusty skin and taste when I cook on my charcoal Weber, I mop the chicken with a cup of about 80% olive oil and 20% real butter. From my Engineering range study, if the butter is more than 20%, the flavor is too rich. Mop that the whole time I'm cooking with barbecue sauce used only in the last 10 minutes of cooking. Presently, I'm using Blues Hog from Wal Mart.
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

We've been without a grill for several months post-move. My trusty charcoal smoker finally rusted out and I scrapped it during the move.

Just picked up a gently used Weber Genesis this morning to tide me over while I research grills and smokers. Haven't had a gas grill in 15 years or more, been exclusively charcoal during that time. Plan to do both charcoal and gas moving forward but excited about the having the convenience of gas again as an option!

Going to connect it to natural gas tomorrow and I need some inspiration for my first grill on it tomorrow.

BBQ Chicken thighs? Burgers and dogs? Fish? Other?

Give me some inspiration, peeps!


All of the above sounds good. Let us know what you go with and how it turns out. I personally like chicken. Any drinks involved?

Yeah I've been craving that delicious caramelized crust you get with good barbecue chicken myself. Will likely hit up the Fresh Market tomorrow morning and see how the chicken selection looks.

Also pairs well with a big batch of homemade Mac and cheese I did per my boy's birthday request last night. I do mine with a ton of extra sharp yellow cheddar, white cheddar, a little parm sprinkled in for depth of flavor, splash of milk, and lots of salt and pepper.

Will let you know how it turns out.

I'm working on an NC sour mash whiskey I picked up at the beach called The Reverend. Call Family Distillery out of Wilkesboro. Really really smooth. Very impressed so far. Celebrating the big win tonight with some in hand and the celebration will almost certainly continue during the grill tomorrow.


Sounds good and can't wait for a follow up.
For the best crusty skin and taste when I cook on my charcoal Weber, I mop the chicken with a cup of about 80% olive oil and 20% real butter. From my Engineering range study, if the butter is more than 20%, the flavor is too rich. Mop that the whole time I'm cooking with barbecue sauce used only in the last 10 minutes of cooking. Presently, I'm using Blues Hog from Wal Mart.


Thanks for sharing. I at times have a hard time getting the chicken to have a crispy crust.
GetOffMyLawnPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?

ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone grilling today and or yesterday?
GetOffMyLawnPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ncsupack1 said:

Anyone grilling today and or yesterday?


Smoked in my reqteq to a probe temp of 118F; about an hour. then finished on my searing station on my Napoleon gas grill.

In a lazy mood, so just opened a can of peas. Gotta go to doc for checkup, so trying to be a good boy on the carbs.
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tell me about the reqteq? Also, those look good, and good grill marks.
caryking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stopped in at a Smithfield's BBQ on the way home from the beach. When they are good… man, they are good!!

Nice BBQ sandwich to go. BBQ all over the floor, in the car. Greasy hands all over the steering wheel! What I'll go through for a good BBQ sandwich…
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
caryking said:

Stopped in at a Smithfield's BBQ on the way home from the beach. When they are good… man, they are good!!

Nice BBQ sandwich to go. BBQ all over the floor, in the car. Greasy hands all over the steering wheel! What I'll go through for a good BBQ sandwich…


Love Smithfield.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.