Stimulus bill

10,112 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by caryking
caryking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AlleyPack said:

pineknollshoresking said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

There are tons of issues with this bill because of how many different things were crammed in, and the fact that it was released just hours before the vote.

This was negotiated between Pelosi, McConnel and the whitehouse. The bill was not public to other members of congress to read and give feedback. There was no debate and amendments could not be offered.
Congress is broken because we've allowed the House Speaker and Senate Majority leader to use procedural rules to concentrate power in their hands. Congress was meant to be a deliberative body, not something run by only a few people in leadership of the majority party.
I agree with you; however, does the constitution lay those rules out or are the rules developed by each chamber?
They are procedural rules within each chamber. The constitution gives congress a lot of leeway on how to conduct it's own business. The next congress can change the rules back if leadership allows it to be voted on. Permanent reforms would require a constitutional amendment.
Correct. My point of asking was to point out the the Constitution gives a lot of freedom for each Chamber to set it rules.

By you saying that the chambers were meant to be deliberative body's is missing one key understanding. We are talking about Man and the failings of man. Men are power hungry! You will not change that failing of Man.

If we were truly following the Constitution, we would never (potentially) see these types of bills. Hopefully, Trump vetos this thing, as per his video last night, and we start over with the true context of the bill.
There is nothing in the constitution to prevent the sham legislative process we have right now.

Our government needs structural reforms to modernize. But those reforms should be pursued via constitutional amendment. The burden in passing an amendment is so high that it will ensure reform is bipartisan and largely fair
Our structure is perfectly fine. The problem is you, me, and everyone else. We keep electing these people. We need to work harder to elect new representatives.

It's easy to blame someone, something, or anything other than ourselves. Look at yourself first for change!

Honestly, though -- would whomever they are running against in any given year/election be any different?
Every candidate is essentially a "career politician". You don't reach that point without having a certain mindset... a mindset that does NOT have "the best interest of the people" at the forefront.

Don't know. It's a start. Again, take the responsibility in your own hands and make change. If we do it enough, the congressional folks will start to get the message. Primary everyone!

In a representative republic, that's the peoples power...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
PackBacker07
GOP member speaking some truth here:

Y'all means ALL.
statefan91
caryking
statefan91 said:

Veto everything. Make congress override the veto!

Joe Biden
Pacfanweb
PackBacker07 said:

GOP member speaking some truth here:

So in a nutshell:

Trump's bill asked for all this money. Even more than was actually in the bill.

All the pork gets noticed and lambasted, and Trump then says he doesn't want what he asked for in the bill, says it's wasteful.

Yet he's the one that asked for it.

And the funny thing in all of this is, Pelosi will actually give him exactly what he now says he wants, and now the GOP is going to block that.

Our country can't find its ass with both hands sometimes.
Ground_Chuck

AlleyPack said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

There are tons of issues with this bill because of how many different things were crammed in, and the fact that it was released just hours before the vote.

This was negotiated between Pelosi, McConnel and the whitehouse. The bill was not public to other members of congress to read and give feedback. There was no debate and amendments could not be offered.
Congress is broken because we've allowed the House Speaker and Senate Majority leader to use procedural rules to concentrate power in their hands. Congress was meant to be a deliberative body, not something run by only a few people in leadership of the majority party.
I agree with you; however, does the constitution lay those rules out or are the rules developed by each chamber?
They are procedural rules within each chamber. The constitution gives congress a lot of leeway on how to conduct it's own business. The next congress can change the rules back if leadership allows it to be voted on. Permanent reforms would require a constitutional amendment.
Correct. My point of asking was to point out the the Constitution gives a lot of freedom for each Chamber to set it rules.

By you saying that the chambers were meant to be deliberative body's is missing one key understanding. We are talking about Man and the failings of man. Men are power hungry! You will not change that failing of Man.

If we were truly following the Constitution, we would never (potentially) see these types of bills. Hopefully, Trump vetos this thing, as per his video last night, and we start over with the true context of the bill.
There is nothing in the constitution to prevent the sham legislative process we have right now.

Our government needs structural reforms to modernize. But those reforms should be pursued via constitutional amendment. The burden in passing an amendment is so high that it will ensure reform is bipartisan and largely fair
Our structure is perfectly fine. The problem is you, me, and everyone else. We keep electing these people. We need to work harder to elect new representatives.

It's easy to blame someone, something, or anything other than ourselves. Look at yourself first for change!

Honestly, though -- would whomever they are running against in any given year/election be any different?
Every candidate is essentially a "career politician". You don't reach that point without having a certain mindset... a mindset that does NOT have "the best interest of the people" at the forefront.

Don't know. It's a start. Again, take the responsibility in your own hands and make change. If we do it enough, the congressional folks will start to get the message. Primary everyone!

I think the best way to improve the quality of congressional representation would be to have more competitive elections.

"Safe" congressional seats leads to the primary being the only elections of importance, and those low turnout elections are not producing quality congressional representation.
caryking
Ground_Chuck said:

AlleyPack said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

I think the best way to improve the quality of congressional representation would be to have more competitive elections.

"Safe" congressional seats leads to the primary being the only elections of importance, and those low turnout elections are not producing quality congressional representation.

I agree. We have to primary these people and ultimately elect new representatives. If we don't get out and vote new people in; we can only blame ourselves...

Joe Biden
ciscopack
The stimulus should probably be more than $600 and way less than $2000! I don't know the best way to do this crap but a lot of people are hurting. Hopefully the vaccines will get rid of this virus for good but it could keep morphing into something worse too?

It's a big modern world out there and I don't know when the first Senators and Representatives started adding other things to bills, that is not what the bill is named for, but it's been going on at least 100 years. Why they think that is a good idea, I have no clue. Maybe that's the only way to get money to places some think need it. It's not a 1 nation earth, we need help and we need to provide some help but I'd prefer each country we help, fall under the We Help You Bill because we depend you your help to help us make this a great earth for everyone?

IseWolf22

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

We are probably not going to agree on this, but our constitution, while revolutionary at its time, is showing its age. There is an amendment process for a reason and it should be used to pursue structural reforms to make our republic more representative and accountable
caryking
IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

We are probably not going to agree on this, but our constitution, while revolutionary at its time, is showing its age. There is an amendment process for a reason and it should be used to pursue structural reforms to make our republic more representative and accountable

The amendment process is the proper place to make change; however, we have to be careful when we do. Remember, we created prohibition via the amendment process...

Also, think about the 17th amendment and how that changed our representative republic. I'm a big fan of keeping decisions as local as possible and allowing states to recall Senators that are not voting according to States rights. Our voice is heard when we elect our state representatives. If they don't do what we want, we vote them out. People will say: you can do the same thing with US Senators. My argument back is: it broadens the voter pool to a point where we lose local representation. This is probably too big of a debate in a forum...
PackBacker07
IseWolf22 said:

DEFINITELY agree with this. I'm sorry, but times have changed since 1776. The Constitution, while an incredible document, allows for change and we are not taking advantage of this.
Y'all means ALL.
Pacfanweb
The biggest change needed in our government is term limits.

This was not supposed to be a career, we're not supposed to have a ruling class.

Get them out of there. 1-2 terms, depending on what the office is, and lifetime ban on
lobbying or any other job up there. Go home and resume whatever it was that you did
before getting elected.
Enough of these people getting identified at a young age as a future elected official, being
"groomed" as such, then getting elected and staying in office 30-40 years without having
actually held a legitimate job for any length of time outside government in their lives.

caryking
PackBacker07 said:

IseWolf22 said:

DEFINITELY agree with this. I'm sorry, but times have changed since 1776. The Constitution, while an incredible document, allows for change and we are not taking advantage of this.

People always say that constitution is old, outdated, or times have changed. Those statements really mean something. What do those words mean?

I typically don't get the argument/debate as to why the constitution needs to be changed or even: those guys could have never imagined the change our country would see through things like technology, etc...

I would say: I disagree! They knew we would have significant change; however, they didn't know what it would be. So, the constitution is a structural document that gave the federal government few powers. I don't see anything wrong with that in today's world.

It's all the same stuff with just different media and means to do things. So, please tell us why this document needs to be changed...
caryking
Pacfanweb said:

This was not supposed to be a career, we're not supposed to have a ruling class.

Get them out of there. 1-2 terms, depending on what the office is, and lifetime ban on lobbying or any other job up there. Go home and resume whatever it was that you did
before getting elected. Enough of these people getting identified at a young age as a future elected official, being
"groomed" as such, then getting elected and staying in office 30-40 years without having actually held a legitimate job for any length of time outside government in their lives.

Completely agree with this!

Perfect example (whether you agree with what the new Senator is saying or not): Tommy Tuberville has stated he will challenge electors once in the Senate. McConnell is now trying to round him up and stop him. He's probably being threatened to not receive any committees.

Now, whether you agree with Tuberville is irrelevant. My argument is that Mcconell has too much power and needs to be marginalized. If I were in Tuberville position, I would do what I want and suffer the consequences. Show courage to your belief and don't be persuaded by power!!! I hope he does that!!!
caryking
Pacfanweb said:

Get them out of there. 1-2 terms, depending on what the office is, and lifetime ban on lobbying or any other job up there. Go home and resume whatever it was that you did
before getting elected. Enough of these people getting identified at a young age as a future elected official, being
"groomed" as such, then getting elected and staying in office 30-40 years without having actually held a legitimate job for any length of time outside government in their lives.

One other thing to consider...

Term limits would be great for our representatives; we should not forget about career federal, State, etc. employees. That is where the true swamp is. They have more power that you realize. The DOJ is a cesspool!

Joe Biden
SupplyChainPack

PackBacker07 said:

IseWolf22 said:

People always say that constitution is old, outdated, or times have changed. Those statements really mean something. What do those words mean?

I typically don't get the argument/debate as to why the constitution needs to be changed or even: those guys could have never imagined the change our country would see through things like technology, etc...

I would say: I disagree! They knew we would have significant change; however, they didn't know what it would be. So, the constitution is a structural document that gave the federal government few powers. I don't see anything wrong with that in today's world.

It's all the same stuff with just different media and means to do things. So, please tell us why this document needs to be changed...

Agreed. Today's world shows just how wise our founding fathers were.
PackBacker07
Agree here as well. It might be the biggest issue facing our federal government today.
Y'all means ALL.
waynecountywolf
Mitch just blocked $2000
caryking
waynecountywolf said:

Mitch just blocked $2000
Why?

Joe Biden
FlossyDFlynt

waynecountywolf said:

Mitch just blocked $2000
Why?
Same reason Pelosi did for so long in the house, an election
packgrad
He didn't block it. He blocked a quick vote though.
PackBacker07
This is turning into a Bernie/McConnell showdown on the straight $2000 clean vote. Bernie is going to hold up the defense veto vote.
Y'all means ALL.
Ground_Chuck
FlossyDFlynt said:

waynecountywolf said:

Mitch just blocked $2000
Why?
Pelosi blocked what? Was there a bill passed in the senate that the house refused to vote on? Didn't the house pass a bill in May with a second stimulus check that Mitch refused to bring to a vote?
FlossyDFlynt
Ground_Chuck said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

waynecountywolf said:

Mitch just blocked $2000
Why?
Pelosi blocked what? Was there a bill passed in the senate that the house refused to vote on? Didn't the house pass a bill in May with a second stimulus check that Mitch refused to bring to a vote?
From October 27th (Link)

Quote:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi ended any hopes of a Covid-19 relief bill before the Election Day, blaming the White House for failing "miserably" in a letter to House Democrats on Tuesday.
From today (Link)

Quote:

The Kentucky Republican later Tuesday introduced a bill that would boost the size of the checks to $2,000 from $600, repeal Section 230 legal liability protections for internet platforms and create a commission to study election issues. The bill would meet all of President Donald Trump's recent demands, which are unrelated, but would not get Democratic support and become law.
To translate - neither party gives one iota of a **** about the American public. Both are playing games while the people they represent suffer.

I have thoughts, but they are irrelevant. I wish more would recognize that neither side gives a **** about them
tuffy1006
this is more confusing than a tennis match. My head is just going back and forth watching this **** lol
FlossyDFlynt
Just assume both parties are acting in self interest and youll never be wrong
RunsWithWolves26
FlossyDFlynt said:

Ground_Chuck said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

waynecountywolf said:

Mitch just blocked $2000
Why?
From October 27th (Link)

Quote:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi ended any hopes of a Covid-19 relief bill before the Election Day, blaming the White House for failing "miserably" in a letter to House Democrats on Tuesday.
From today (Link)

Quote:

The Kentucky Republican later Tuesday introduced a bill that would boost the size of the checks to $2,000 from $600, repeal Section 230 legal liability protections for internet platforms and create a commission to study election issues. The bill would meet all of President Donald Trump's recent demands, which are unrelated, but would not get Democratic support and become law.
To translate - neither party gives one iota of a **** about the American public. Both are playing games while the people they represent suffer.

I have thoughts, but they are irrelevant. I wish more would recognize that neither side gives a **** about them

Post of the day!
caryking
Looks like McConnell is playing what Trumps wants... let see if everyone will join in.

Joe Biden
mdreid
FlossyDFlynt

What is it that that one famous comedian said one time...oh yea!

"It'ss a big club and you ain't in it!"
Ground_Chuck
FlossyDFlynt said:

Ground_Chuck said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

waynecountywolf said:

Mitch just blocked $2000
Why?
From October 27th (Link)

Quote:

From today (Link)

Quote:

The first link is talking about negotiations between the WH and House. Regardless what they agreed upon, the senate still has to pass it. The House never blocked a bill passed by the Senate. The Senate has spent the pass 9 months refusing to join the negotiations.

The second link is the Republican party playing games while the people they represent suffer.
Ground_Chuck
FlossyDFlynt said:

House votes on $2,000 stimulus checks after Trump signs relief bill (cnbc.com)

Democrats passed a clean bill; Republican refuse to vote on it.

The parties are not the same.
caryking
The House passed bills they knew wouldn't get looked at in the Senate. Prior to the election, the House bill was enormous and the Senate wanted something smaller. I guess they'd couldn't come to an agreement...

That being said, it is documented that Nancy stalled till after the election < her words, not mine...

Games are going to be played, as they should. Passing a bill was never meant to be rubber stamped all the way through the process.

Joe Biden
caryking
Ground_Chuck said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

McConnel now wants to give Trump a win. He is asking for the bill to include: section 230 changes and an election review. Nancy needs to get everyone to sign on to this. She got all the forts around the country to change the names in the last bill.

She won, now it's time for McConnell to win!

Joe Biden
IseWolf22

Ground_Chuck said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

McConnel now wants to give Trump a win. He is asking for the bill to include: section 230 changes and an election review. Nancy needs to get everyone to sign on to this. She got all the forts around the country to change the names in the last bill.

She won, now it's time for McConnell to win!
This is just a poison pill. Repeal of section 230 without any replacement legislation is an absolute disaster that won't pass either chamber.
IseWolf22
Ground_Chuck said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Ground_Chuck said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

waynecountywolf said:

Mitch just blocked $2000
Why?
From October 27th (Link)

Quote:

From today (Link)

Quote:

The first link is talking about negotiations between the WH and House. Regardless what they agreed upon, the senate still has to pass it. The House never blocked a bill passed by the Senate. The Senate has spent the pass 9 months refusing to join the negotiations.

The second link is the Republican party playing games while the people they represent suffer.
The negotiation is between the House, the Whitehouse, and the Senate. Pelosi absolutely plays political games with legislation as much as McConnell. She's passed many bills this congress that have no shot at clearing the Senate, mostly for political messaging. She's also locked down the house floor and amendment process as much as McConnell.
They both suck.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.