Cannon Hinnant Murder- Wilson, NC

12,477 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
Pacfanweb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

So you're not willing to consider anything that requires them taking the slightest bit of responsibility for their own actions, then. Everything in their entire lives somehow has to do with racism, and they bear no responsibility at all for their lot in life. I figured that was where you were.

Don't know where you got that from.

Sure, personal responsibility plays a role. Perfectly willing to consider its role in the context of a multi-faceted situation.

It's not all or nothing.

Poverty
Neighborhood crime
Responsibility
Education
Food insecurity
Housing insecurity
Physical, sexual, and emotional abuse
Role modeling
Parenting
Criminal Justice
Physical health
Mental health
Hiring practices
Community resources
Family wealth

And yes, implicit racism.

We can talk about any or all of those. They all play their part.

But there's no reason to do what many (almost exclusively white men) do and condition black Americans' ability to discuss implicit racism on first discussing and resolving any or all of the other contributing sociological factors to outcomes.

To do so is condescending and paternal and not tolerated in any other aspects of your life.

If your wife says "I'd like for us to discuss the way you sometimes speak to me makes me feel," let me know how it works out when you counter with "Not until we talk about your unresolved issues about your mom and dad's divorce."

Or when your boss says, "A bit of constructive criticism - we really need to hammer down on you pursuing incoming sales leads more aggressively" and you retort, "Only after we talk about the inadequacies of our company's health care package."

There's a huge difference between bringing up legitimate issues that warrant discussion - yes, including personal responsibility - independently, and bringing them up as a retort to other concerns raised by the black community.

One does not counter or invalidate the other, and worse, its a disrespectful deflection.

Okay, I agree with parts of that, and I don't think we're as far apart overall as it may seem, BUT:

Those are some terrible examples.

The husband/wife and boss/employee....those are totally unrelated issues that are brought up in response to the original issue.

With the subject at hand: When talking about police shootings/interactions with blacks, it's perfectly reasonable to bring up "Why don't blacks talk about reducing their involvement in crime?" "Maybe stop committing half the murders while being only 13% of the population?"

It's the same subject, basically...it's not apples and oranges. They really go hand-in-hand.

To use an example like yours, but correctly: Let's say a wife does most of the cleaning, but forgets to do the dishes occasionally, and the husband says "Let's talk about you not always doing the dishes like you're supposed to"
And the wife comes back with "Okay, then let's talk about YOU hardly ever cleaning a damn thing around here while I do almost off of it!"

That's the exact thing we're talking about. Blacks want police and white people to be perfect in their dealings, but then they don't expect the same of themselves.

Whatever happened to "Do unto others...."?

The world doesn't work that way. You can't demand everyone else BUT you make changes. especially when your proverbial house is in FAR less order than theirs.

IMO, if anyone should be outraged regarding murders, it's white people. Black people kill roughly twice as many whites as there are whites that kill blacks.

Think about that. They're raising holy hell about their treatment by police, parlaying that into an overall race discussion.....but are unwilling to talk about the fact that THEY are responsible for most of the violent crime, while being such a small % of the population?
Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

Okay, I agree with parts of that, and I don't think we're as far apart overall as it may seem, BUT:

Those are some terrible examples.

The husband/wife and boss/employee....those are totally unrelated issues that are brought up in response to the original issue.

With the subject at hand: When talking about police shootings/interactions with blacks, it's perfectly reasonable to bring up "Why don't blacks talk about reducing their involvement in crime?" "Maybe stop committing half the murders while being only 13% of the population?"

It's the same subject, basically...it's not apples and oranges. They really go hand-in-hand.

To use an example like yours, but correctly: Let's say a wife does most of the cleaning, but forgets to do the dishes occasionally, and the husband says "Let's talk about you not always doing the dishes like you're supposed to"
And the wife comes back with "Okay, then let's talk about YOU hardly ever cleaning a damn thing around here while I do almost off of it!"

That's the exact thing we're talking about. Blacks want police and white people to be perfect in their dealings, but then they don't expect the same of themselves.

Whatever happened to "Do unto others...."?

The world doesn't work that way. You can't demand everyone else BUT you make changes. especially when your proverbial house is in FAR less order than theirs.

IMO, if anyone should be outraged regarding murders, it's white people. Black people kill roughly twice as many whites as there are whites that kill blacks.

Think about that. They're raising holy hell about their treatment by police, parlaying that into an overall race discussion.....but are unwilling to talk about the fact that THEY are responsible for most of the violent crime, while being such a small % of the population?

I like your example and agree it hits closer to the mark. That still wouldn't play well in my house. LOLOL My wife was raised by a social worker and a therapist. Having your honest concerns heard is terribly important for humans. And when I say 'heard' I don't mean just being quiet until the other person stops talking, so that you can jump in. I mean listening to understand, not listening to appease.

The issue is one of communication. When someone feels like they need to be heard it almost doesn't matter what come after the "Yeah, but..." When someone raises a concern with a person that hurt them, and the person that they feel hurt by immediately counters with "Yeah, but..." there's nowhere good to go from there. You're not listening, considering, and responding to the other person's concern if you're already retorting.

Where we diverge is that I think black Americans' concerns are multiple and reasonable and worthy of standing on their own without deflection or distraction.

There is plenty of empirical evidence that implicit racism does exist in policing and criminal justice to warrant significant conversation and study. Black on white and black on black crime rates don't change that reality.

I think it's easier to train police to de-escalate; eliminate unnecessary traffic stops; decriminalize marijuana; rescind minor marijuana prison sentences; implement blind prosecuting; and devise effective pre-deliberation communication to juries to help reduce jury bias than it is to reduce poverty (and/or its direct causes and effects).

The irony here is that if you hear the black community and actually take steps to reduce implicit racism in policing and criminal justice, that may actually clarify for them (and us all) the work remaining to be done in the black community to help break cycles of violence and poverty. Clarity is never a bad thing. That would be a win-win outcome.
SupplyChainPack
What implicit racism? Please be specific.

Civilized
SupplyChainPack said:

What implicit racism? Please be specific.

Blacks getting pulled at 2x the rate of whites and getting searched at 4x the rate of whites even though they produce contraband less.

Black Americans getting arrested for marijauna at nearly 4x the rate of whites are imprisoned at 6x the rate of whites even though they use marijuana at roughly the same rate.

Black defendants being significantly more likely to have convictions involving police misconduct that eventually result in exoneration.

Black Americans facing low-level drug and traffic charges are 68 percent less likely to have their charges dropped.

Blacks are 3x more likely to be stopped in search-and-frisk incidents despite over 97% of such stops resulting in no arrest or seizure of contraband.

Clearance rates of murders of blacks are significantly lower than murders of whites.

Between 2012 and 2014, the Los Angeles Police Department received more than 1,350 citizen complaints of racial profiling. The department didn't uphold a single complaint. Zero. What are the chances?

Studies of interactions between officers and citizens taken from footage captured by police officer body cameras routinely find that officers speak with consistently less respect toward black versus white community members, even after controlling for the race of the officer, the severity of the infraction, the location of the stop, and the outcome of the stop.

The arrest rates of Black Americans is 2x as high as the white arrest rate for disorderly conduct, drug possession, simple assault, theft, vagrancy, and vandalism. The black arrest rate for prostitution is almost 5x times higher than the white arrest rate, and the black arrest rate for gambling is almost 10x higher.

Blacks are 3x as likely to get hit with sentencing enhancements for committing drug crimes near a school zone, church, park or public housing. In all, when blacks and whites committed similar drug crimes, blacks on average received a sentence that was nearly 2x longer.

I could go on all night. There are virtually no outcomes in the criminal justice system that proportionally represent black defendants based on their proportion of our population and even when accounting for different rates of criminality between blacks and whites.
910wolf
Somewhat on topic here is this local incident.

https://www.wral.com/17-year-old-arrested-in-killing-of-garner-teen-three-others-charged-with-accessory/19242572/
Tootie4Pack
My son went to school with her and they both graduated this past June. He also knows the suspect.

A sad story and a horrific time for her family.
Civilized
Tootie4Pack said:

My son went to school with her and they both graduated this past June. He also knows the suspect.

WRAL blurb I saw said the parents suspected robbery. That poor girl lost her life over what, $20?

So many lives ended, ruined, or forever scarred over nothing.

So ridiculous.
Tootie4Pack
Civilized said:

Tootie4Pack said:

WRAL blurb I saw said the parents suspected robbery. That poor girl lost her life over what, $20?

So many lives ended, ruined, or forever scarred over nothing.

So ridiculous.

Yes it is ridiculous and sad. What is amazing is how kids these days discuss incidents like this as soon as they happen. My son was telling us about this long before it made the news or any websites including details that now the police are talking about today in the news stories. He knew about the dollar amount was $20 and that there were other things that were mentioned on social media that I won't get into because they may be false. Also after a period of time he knew that was more than one person involved because it's on social media. I asked him how he knew so much and if someone needed to contact the police and he said if the police are looking at social media they'll know who is involved by simply reading that.
Bas2020
Killing somebody over $20 bucks .

What's the real story with the Veronica Baker murder ? I'm sure we have a ton of Garner people on the board that may know someone involved in this . Terrible , just terrible .
Civilized
Bas2020 said:

What's the real story with the Veronica Baker murder ? I'm sure we have a ton of Garner people on the board that may know someone involved in this . Terrible , just terrible .

I read last night that her parents said they thought she had a $600 Gucci purse with her, but still. You can debate the prudence of being a senior in high school hanging out at Bo's with your $600 Gucci purse but high schoolers do questionable mess all the time.

My God, what is wrong with you when you even contemplate shooting someone over a little money or a purse?

ETA: This feels like colossally bad decision-making by the perps, and also like we're not getting the full story yet.
Bell Tower Grey
$600 plus purses, phones, shoes, etc. for a high school kid is asinine regardless of how much their parents / guardians may be worth. It served its' purpose as bait for someone with bad intentions to carry them out.
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

Bas2020 said:

I read last night that her parents said they thought she had a $600 Gucci purse with her, but still. You can debate the prudence of being a senior in high school hanging out at Bo's with your $600 Gucci purse but high schoolers do questionable mess all the time.

My God, what is wrong with you when you even contemplate shooting someone over a little money or a purse?

ETA: This feels like colossally bad decision-making by the perps, and also like we're not getting the full story yet.
Honestly, it really doesn't matter what the "rest of the story" is. There was zero reason to shoot the girl. None.
No other details will make this anything but more tragic and ridiculous that it happened.
Bas2020
Bell Tower Grey said:

$600 plus purses, phones, shoes, etc. for a high school kid is asinine regardless of how much their parents / guardians may be worth. It served its' purpose as bait for someone with bad intentions to carry them out.

Nobody in Garner , NC shoots somebody over a purse . There is obviously much more to this story .
DrummerboyWolf
Pacfanweb said:

statefan91 said:

Based on the link (I know it's Wikipedia and I can't vouch for it necessarily)...

US has a rate of 34.8 for deaths by police per 10 million

Here how it is compared to other developed Western nations:

3.6x higher than Canada
9x higher than France
26.7x higher than Germany

How does the makeup of our population compare to those countries? More or less diverse?

Well since most French police used to not carry weapons( I am not sure if that has changed) it would make sense that they don't shoot as often as U. S. Police. Search the internet for the video of the execution of a police officer in the Charlie Hebdo terrorist attack in 2015 and you can see the unarmed defenseless police officer executed. Not sure if the German police carry or not.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Bell Tower Grey
Bas2020 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Nobody in Garner , NC shoots somebody over a purse . There is obviously much more to this story .
I agree that there is probably much more to the story. However, my comment still stands.
Bell Tower Grey
Remember Cannon Hinnant

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.