June 6, 1944 Operation Overlord

18,529 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Wolfer79
ciscopack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I woke up at 3AM this morning and flipped channels and saw 2 D-Day shows on the Smithsonian channel. One was about the D-Day practice we had in England with live bombs and bullets; to get the young guys ready. We had 946 Americans die in the practice rehearsal of a simulated Utah Beach and the news of it was shut down; some families did not find out what happened to their young man for many years. More people were killed in the practice than the real thing and most say the practice helped.

Exercise or Operation Tiger
Packchem91
griff17matt said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

When men were men. On my best day I'm not sure I could ever be as brave as they were.
100%. But then, that generation did not have the "life of luxury" we have today, and were/are shaped completely differently.
Two, and I know you know this, they grew up with a much bigger love for what the country stood for than the average American does today -- and that is inclusive of all of us, not just those we disagree with. And it sure helps to have that to volunteer to go jump out of a plane behind enemy lines or get into one of those boarding ships to crash the beaches of Normandy or the ones in the far Pacific.
I've seen the documentaries, and I still can't put myself in that place.
Not to diminish anything you said here, but I think they were also privy to a bit of ignorance or naivete about what war ACTUALLY is. How unglamorous it actually is. How horrific it actually is. And we've all grown up seeing what they and those that came after them went through and the effect it had on them and their lives post-war. I think that has also shaped what we think we would actually do as well. I'd love to think I'd answer the call to serve, if necessary, but that doesn't mean I'd want my son or stepsons to have to face that.

I'm not sure we *can* have another greatest generation simply because they opened our eyes to the horrors they endured. And the greatest travesty that could befall them is for us to become apathetic to the sacrifices they made once the reality they had to face was realized. They ****ing did it anyway. Badasses, every single one of them.
Oh I think you are absolutely correct. Real-life war images (rather than cool movies) take a lot of the "romance" out of wanting to go volunteer to fight for your country.
I'd add to your point -- we don't have a common enemy like Hitler or a Japanese bombing raid to rally around either.
Though, even when we do have something similar, other influences in our culture today make us so much more divided, I'm not sure we could replicate that type of response.
See -- the response against the 9/11 attacks - was "all in" for about a month?
See -- different scenario, but when faced with the biggest threat in our current lives, covid, instead of uniting, we actually became more divided.
Oldsouljer
Civilized said:

PackMom said:

Don't really know how he used them. He was in MI. I know there were Japanese, Korean, French, Russian - including writing the Cyrillic characters. I can't remember what else but at one point we had counted seven. Some he was more fluent than others. When I broke my wrist, he wrote on my cast in Russian but never told me what it said. When he got older - and this feels so weird because I'm older now than he was when he died - he decided to learn Greek and Hebrew for Bible study.

He was an amazing man and taken from us far too young.

I haven't been able to become fluent in a single other language, much less six or seven. Incredible.

Thanks again for sharing such a great story about a wonderful Dad.
I always wanted to be fluent in French like my mother. Most language learning software out there doesn't deliver IMO and I say that because I've tried a few including some of the better known names out there. I'm now using Glossika which is pricy and not for the easily bored but with daily use, seems to be making me comfortable with a basic and reasonably deep command of the French and Italian I've been studying. I'd recommend it for us oldsters whose brains aren't that flexible anymore.
Civilized
Oldsouljer said:

Civilized said:

PackMom said:

Don't really know how he used them. He was in MI. I know there were Japanese, Korean, French, Russian - including writing the Cyrillic characters. I can't remember what else but at one point we had counted seven. Some he was more fluent than others. When I broke my wrist, he wrote on my cast in Russian but never told me what it said. When he got older - and this feels so weird because I'm older now than he was when he died - he decided to learn Greek and Hebrew for Bible study.

He was an amazing man and taken from us far too young.

I haven't been able to become fluent in a single other language, much less six or seven. Incredible.

Thanks again for sharing such a great story about a wonderful Dad.
I always wanted to be fluent in French like my mother. Most language learning software out there doesn't deliver IMO and I say that because I've tried a few including some of the better known names out there. I'm now using Glossika which is pricy and not for the easily bored but with daily use, seems to be making me comfortable with a basic and reasonably deep command of the French and Italian I've been studying. I'd recommend it for us oldsters whose brains aren't that flexible anymore.

Great work, languages have a great reputation for brain exercise and on top of that are fun/cool to learn.

My grandfather was a gunner's mate on a supply ship in the Pacific. Like so many, he enlisted at 18 looking for adventure and to go fight Hitler. Had to pound bananas and peanut butter for several weeks to get his weight up above the minimum for acceptance. I carry his Navy ID card in my wallet still, he was 6-1, 128# as an 18-year old seaman. Definitely before my grandma's great cooking.

And his stories of foreign tongues during his Navy days definitely had nothing to do with learning a language.
Wolfer79
watching a program on American Hereos Channel on WWII Fact and Fiction

4% of sand at Normandy Beach is shrapnel
Wolfpackrich1
God Bless America and Our Allies!
caryking
Wolfer79 said:

That boys face make me get very emotional...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Wolfer79
2 May 1944: Leonard Dawe, who complied #crossword puzzles for the Britain's The Daily Telegraph #newspaper, includes code names for the D-Day invasion a month before the invasion. The words were Utah, Omaha, #Overlord, Mulberry and Neptune. #WWII #WW2 #ad

Wolfer79
19 May 1943: Churchill gives his second wartime address to the U.S. Congress, pledging his full support in the fight against Japan. Later that evening, he and Pres. Roosevelt agreed on May 1, 1944 for the D-Day invasion, but it occurs on June 6
Wolfer79
4 June 1944: Supreme Allied Commander and future U.S. President Dwight D. #Eisenhower decides to delay D-Day, the Allied invasion of Western Europe, by 24 hours. The invasion was scheduled for June 5 but was now delayed until June 6.
Wolfer79
1944 Allied airborne troops embark for Normandy just before midnight. The convoys carrying the Allied Expeditionary Force are nearing France.

1944 The BBC broadcasts a second message, intended for the French Resistance, warning of the imminent invasion. Again, the significance of the message is noted by German authorities but the 7th Army in Normandy is not alerted.

1944 Dwight D. Eisenhower wrote a note to be issued in case the D-Day invasion turned out to be a failure: "Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold, and I have withdrawn the troops." The note was [apparently misdated] dated July 5.

1944 More than 1,000 British bombers drop 5,000 tons of bombs on German gun batteries placed at the Normandy assault area, while 3,000 Allied ships cross the English Channel in preparation for the invasion of Normandy-D-Day. The day of the invasion of occupied France had been postponed repeatedly since May, mostly because of bad weather and the enormous tactical obstacles involved. Finally, despite less than ideal weather conditions-or perhaps because of them-General Eisenhower decided on June 5 to set the next day as D-Day, the launch of the largest amphibious operation in history. Ike knew that the Germans would be expecting postponements beyond the sixth, precisely because weather conditions were still poor. Among those Germans confident that an Allied invasion could not be pulled off on the sixth was Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, who was still debating tactics with Field Marshal Karl Rundstedt. Runstedt was convinced that the Allies would come in at the narrowest point of the Channel, between Calais and Dieppe; Rommel, following Hitler's intuition, believed it would be Normandy. Rommel's greatest fear was that German air inferiority would prevent an adequate defense on the ground; it was his plan to meet the Allies on the coast-before the Allies had a chance to come ashore. Rommel began constructing underwater obstacles and minefields, and set off for Germany to demand from Hitler personally more panzer divisions in the area. Bad weather and an order to conserve fuel grounded much of the German air force on June 5; consequently, its reconnaissance flights were spotty. That night, more than 1,000 British bombers unleashed a massive assault on German gun batteries on the coast. At the same time, an Allied armada headed for the Normandy beaches in Operation Neptune, an attempt to capture the port at Cherbourg. But that was not all. In order to deceive the Germans, phony operations were run; dummy parachutists and radar-jamming devices were dropped into strategically key areas so as to make German radar screens believe there was an Allied convoy already on the move. One dummy parachute drop succeeded in drawing an entire German infantry regiment away from its position just six miles from the actual Normandy landing beaches. All this effort was to scatter the German defenses and make way for Operation Overlord, the Allied invasion of Normandy.

https://thisdayinusmilhist.wordpress.com/2014/06/05/june-5/
Wolfer79
1944 Operation Overlord begins. In Normandy, France, during the predawn hours, the US 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions are dropped inland from the right flank beach. The British 6th Airborne Division is landed inland from the left flank beach. These forces achieve their objectives and create confusion among the German defenders. The Allied Expeditionary Force lands in Normandy at dawn. Forces of the 21st Army Group (Field Marshal Montgomery) commands the US 1st Army (General Bradley) on the right and the British 2nd Army (General Dempsey) on the left. There are five invasion beaches: Utah on the right flank, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword, on the left flank. At Utah, the US 7th Corps (General Collins) lands with US 4th Division spearheading the assault. The troops advance inland against light resistance. Admiral Moon provides naval support. At Omaha, the US 5th Corps (General Gerow) lands. There is heavy resistance and by the end of the day the American forces have advance less than one mile inland. Admiral Hall provides naval support. At Gold, the British 30th Corps (General Bucknall) lands with 50th Infantry Division and 8th Armored Brigade leading the assault. There is reasonable advance inland although the assigned objectives are not met.
At Juno beach, the British 1st Corps (General Crocker) lands with the Canadian 3rd Infantry Division and the Canadian 2nd Armored Brigade leading the assault. The tanks and infantry quickly push inland. Naval support is under the command of Commodore Oliver. At Sword beach, other elements of the British 1st Corps land. The British 3rd Infantry Division, 27th Armored Brigade and several Marine and Commando units lead the assault. The beach is quickly secured and bridges over the Orne River are captured but the first day objectives are not reached. The German 21st Panzer Division counterattacks in the late afternoon but does not dislodge the British defenders. Overall, the Allies land almost 150,000 men. Naval support and massive aerial interdiction prevents the German defenders from concentrating forces for a decisive counterattack. Despite the German resistance, Allied casualties overall were relatively light. The United States and Britain each lost about 1,000 men, and Canada 355. Before the day was over, 155,000 Allied troops would be in Normandy. However, the United States managed to get only half of the 14,000 vehicles and a quarter of the 14,500 tons of supplies they intended on shore. Three factors were decisive in the success of the Allied invasion. First, German counterattacks were firm but sparse, enabling the Allies to create a broad bridgehead, or advanced position, from which they were able to build up enormous troop strength. Second, Allied air cover, which destroyed bridges over the Seine, forced the Germans to suffer long detours, and naval gunfire proved decisive in protecting the invasion troops. And third, division and confusion within the German ranks as to where the invasion would start and how best to defend their position helped the Allies. (Hitler, convinced another invasion was coming the next day east of the Seine River, refused to allow reserves to be pulled from that area.) Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery, commander of Britain's Twenty-first Army Group (but under the overall command of General Eisenhower, for whom Montgomery, and his ego, proved a perennial thorn in the side), often claimed later that the invasion had come off exactly as planned. That was a boast, as evidenced by the failure to take Caen on the first day, as scheduled. While the operation was a decided success, considering the number of troops put ashore and light casualties, improvisation by courageous and quick-witted commanders also played an enormous role.
Wolfer79
1944 Brig. General Norman "Dutch" Cota was the first American General to step foot on Omaha Beach. Cota, assistant commander of the 29th Infantry Division, heroically spurred his men to cross the beach under withering German fire. He went on to lead his infantrymen across France to the Siegfried Line and in the battle of Hurtgen Forest and the Battle of the Bulge.
Wolfer79
1944 The Allied invasion of France, commonly known as "D-Day" begins as Guardsmen from the 29th Infantry Division (DC, MD, VA) storm onto what will forever after be known as "bloody Omaha" Beach. The lead element, Virginia's 116th Infantry, suffers nearly 80% casualties but gains the foothold needed for the invasion to succeed. The 116's artillery support, the 111th Field Artillery Battalion, also from Virginia, loses all 12 of its guns in high surf trying to get on the beach. Its men take up arms from the dead and fight as infantrymen. Engineer support came from the District of Columbia's 121st Engineer Battalion. Despite high loses too, its men succeed in blowing holes in several obstacles clearing paths for the men to get inland off the beach. In the early afternoon, Maryland's 115th Infantry lands behind the 116th and moves through its shattered remnants to start the movement in off the beach. Supporting the invasion was the largest air fleet known to history. Among the units flying missions were the Guards' 107th (MI) and 109th (MN) Tactical Reconnaissance Squadrons The Normandy campaign lasted until the end of July with four Guard infantry divisions; the 28th (PA), 29th, 30th (NC, SC, TN) and the 35th (KS, MO, NE) taking part along with dozens of non-divisional units all earning the "Normandy" streamer.

1944 Cherokee tribal members communicated via radios in their native language on the Normandy beaches. Some 6,603 Americans were killed along the coast of France during the D-day invasion. A total of 9,758 Allied soldiers died during the invasion. "D-Day" by Stephen Ambrose was published in 1994.

1944 Ninety-nine Coast Guard cutters, Coast Guard-manned warships and landing craft participated in the landings at Normandy, France. CAPT Miles Imlay took command of one of the assault groups attacking Omaha Beach during the invasion. He directed the invasion from his command USS LCI(L)-83. LCI(L)s 85, 91, 92, and 93 (Coast Guard-manned) were lost at the Omaha beachhead that day. Sixty cutters sailed in support of the invasion forces, acted as search and rescue craft for each of the landings. A Coast Guard manned assault transport, the USS Bayfield, served as the command and control vessel for the assault at Utah beach.

1944 The French Expeditionary Corps (part of US 5th Army) completes the capture of Tivoli. Recent combat has depleted 4 German infantry divisions and reduced six of their panzer and panzer grenadier divisions.

1944 On Biak, elements of the US 41st Division (ORARNG) prepare to advance on Mokmer Airfield while other elements are engaged near Ibdi.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
December 24, 1943 President Roosevelt appointed Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower supreme commander of Allied forces as part of Operation Overlord. Almost everyone had believed the position would go to American Chief of Staff George C. Marshall.
Wolfer79
1 May 1944: The original day Operation Overlord, aka D-Day, the allied invasion of Normandy, was to take place. The date was set at the Tehran Conference in Iran among Chruchill, Roosevelt and Stalin in Aug, 1943. D-Day occurs on June 6, 1944.

Wolfer79
2 May 1944: Leonard #Dawe, who complied #crossword puzzles for the Britain's The Daily Telegraph #newspaper, includes code names for the D-Day invasion a month before the invasion. The words were Utah, Omaha, #Overlord, Mulberry and Neptune.

Wolfer79
On May 6, 1944, one month to the day before D-Day, Lt. Albert Lanker of the 31st Photo Reconnaissance Squadron flew his F-5 Lightning fast and low over a beach on the Normandy coast. His job was to photograph the beach obstructions for the planners of the invasion.

Wolfer79
Five days before D-Day, American Rangers poised on British landing craft, Weymouth, England, today 1944:

Wolfer79
2 June 1944: Operation Cover begins. The #Allies bomb France, focusing on the Pas de Calais area in order to deceive the #Germans into thinking that is where the D-Day landings will occur.
Wolfer79
4 June 1944: Supreme Allied Commander and future U.S. President Dwight D. #Eisenhower decides to delay D-Day, the Allied invasion of Western Europe, by 24 hours. The invasion was scheduled for June 5 but was now delayed until June 6
Wolfer79
The plan for Operation Overlord comprised several successive phases. The first of these was codenamed "Neptune": a combined assault (airborne and amphibious) to establish a solid bridgehead in enemy territory.

Wolfer79
Neptune was designed to reach a front linking Granville, Vire, Cond and Cabourg after 17 days of fighting.
To meet their logistical needs, the Allies had to seize port cities. So, once Operation Neptune had been completed, they had to break through to Brittany.
2/5

Wolfer79
Brest and Lorient harbors had to be under control 50 days after landing, and Nantes in 60 days. At the same time, they had to reach the Seine river (90 days after the initial assault).
3/5

Wolfer79
The final phase of Operation Overlord consisted of advancing along the Channel coast towards the Ruhr, successively relying on the port cities liberated en route to support their troops.
4/5

Wolfer79
Control of the Ruhr industrial region, Germany's main military-industrial complex, is one of the key actions to hasten the collapse of the Reich.
5/5

Wolfer79
Three then four landing beaches were initially identified in Calvados to establish the bridgehead: they were located between the rivers Orne and Vire (coded "Omaha", "Gold", "Juno" and "Sword").

Wolfer79
The need for a deep-water port to provide part of the armies' supplies prompted the Allies to establish a fifth landing beach ("Utah") in December 1943, directly in the Cotentin peninsula, theoretically enabling them to take Cherbourg eight days after the initial assault.
Wolfer79
11 infantry divisions, 3 airborne divisions and reinforcements were needed to take the bridgehead. On the ground on D-Day, the ratio of forces was more than 2 to 1 for the Allies. With air and naval power, it reached 4 to 1.

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Medal of Honor Citations for Actions Taken This Day

BARRETT, CARLTON W.
Rank and organization: Private, U.S. Army, 18th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division. Place and date: Near St. Laurent-sur-Mer, France, 6 June 1944. Entered service at: Albany, N.Y. Birth: Fulton, N.Y. G.O. No.: 78, 2 October 1944. Citation: For gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, in the vicinity of St. Laurent-sur-Mer, France. On the morning of D-day Pvt. Barrett, landing in the face of extremely heavy enemy fire, was forced to wade ashore through neck-deep water. Disregarding the personal danger, he returned to the surf again and again to assist his floundering comrades and save them from drowning. Refusing to remain pinned down by the intense barrage of small-arms and mortar fire poured at the landing points, Pvt. Barrett, working with fierce determination, saved many lives by carrying casualties to an evacuation boat Iying offshore. In addition to his assigned mission as guide, he carried dispatches the length of the fire-swept beach; he assisted the wounded; he calmed the shocked; he arose as a leader in the stress of the occasion. His coolness and his dauntless daring courage while constantly risking his life during a period of many hours had an inestimable effect on his comrades and is in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army.

*MONTEITH, JIMMIE W., JR.
Rank and organization: First Lieutenant, U.S. Army, 16th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Colleville-sur-Mer, France, 6 June 1944. Entered service at: Richmond, Va. Born: 1 July 1917, Low Moor, Va. G.O. No.: 20, 29 March 1945. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, near Colleville-sur-Mer, France. 1st Lt. Monteith landed with the initial assault waves on the coast of France under heavy enemy fire. Without regard to his own personal safety he continually moved up and down the beach reorganizing men for further assault. He then led the assault over a narrow protective ledge and across the flat, exposed terrain to the comparative safety of a cliff. Retracing his steps across the field to the beach, he moved over to where 2 tanks were buttoned up and blind under violent enemy artillery and machinegun fire. Completely exposed to the intense fire, 1st Lt. Monteith led the tanks on foot through a minefield and into firing positions. Under his direction several enemy positions were destroyed. He then rejoined his company and under his leadership his men captured an advantageous position on the hill. Supervising the defense of his newly won position against repeated vicious counterattacks, he continued to ignore his own personal safety, repeatedly crossing the 200 or 300 yards of open terrain under heavy fire to strengthen links in his defensive chain. When the enemy succeeded in completely surrounding 1st Lt. Monteith and his unit and while leading the fight out of the situation, 1st Lt. Monteith was killed by enemy fire. The courage, gallantry, and intrepid leadership displayed by 1st Lt. Monteith is worthy of emulation.

*PINDER, JOHN J., JR.
Rank and organization: Technician Fifth Grade, U.S. Army, 16th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Colleville-sur-Mer, France, 6 June 1944. Entered .service at: Burgettstown, Pa. Birth: McKees Rocks, Pa. G.O. No.: 1, 4 January 1945. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, near Colleville-sur-Mer, France. On D-day, Technician 5th Grade Pinder landed on the coast 100 yards off shore under devastating enemy machinegun and artillery fire which caused severe casualties among the boatload. Carrying a vitally important radio, he struggled towards shore in waist-deep water. Only a few yards from his craft he was hit by enemy fire and was gravely wounded. Technician 5th Grade Pinder never stopped. He made shore and delivered the radio. Refusing to take cover afforded, or to accept medical attention for his wounds, Technician 5th Grade Pinder, though terribly weakened by loss of blood and in fierce pain, on 3 occasions went into the fire-swept surf to salvage communication equipment. He recovered many vital parts and equipment, including another workable radio. On the 3rd trip he was again hit, suffering machinegun bullet wounds in the legs. Still this valiant soldier would not stop for rest or medical attention. Remaining exposed to heavy enemy fire, growing steadily weaker, he aided in establishing the vital radio communication on the beach. While so engaged this dauntless soldier was hit for the third time and killed. The indomitable courage and personal bravery of Technician 5th Grade Pinder was a magnificent inspiration to the men with whom he served.

*ROOSEVELT, THEODORE, JR.
Rank and organization: brigadier general, U.S. Army. Place and date: Normandy invasion, 6 June 1944. Entered service at: Oyster Bay, N.Y. Birth: Oyster Bay, N.Y. G.O. No.: 77, 28 September 1944. Citation: for gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, in France. After 2 verbal requests to accompany the leading assault elements in the Normandy invasion had been denied, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt's written request for this mission was approved and he landed with the first wave of the forces assaulting the enemy-held beaches. He repeatedly led groups from the beach, over the seawall and established them inland. His valor, courage, and presence in the very front of the attack and his complete unconcern at being under heavy fire inspired the troops to heights of enthusiasm and self-sacrifice. Although the enemy had the beach under constant direct fire, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt moved from one locality to another, rallying men around him, directed and personally led them against the enemy. Under his seasoned, precise, calm, and unfaltering leadership, assault troops reduced beach strong points and rapidly moved inland with minimum casualties. He thus contributed substantially to the successful establishment of the beachhead in France .
Wolfer79
1944 Operation Overlord begins. In Normandy, France, during the predawn hours, the US 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions are dropped inland from the right flank beach. The British 6th Airborne Division is landed inland from the left flank beach. These forces achieve their objectives and create confusion among the German defenders. The Allied Expeditionary Force lands in Normandy at dawn. Forces of the 21st Army Group (Field Marshal Montgomery) commands the US 1st Army (General Bradley) on the right and the British 2nd Army (General Dempsey) on the left. There are five invasion beaches: Utah on the right flank, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword, on the left flank. At Utah, the US 7th Corps (General Collins) lands with US 4th Division spearheading the assault. The troops advance inland against light resistance. Admiral Moon provides naval support. At Omaha, the US 5th Corps (General Gerow) lands. There is heavy resistance and by the end of the day the American forces have advance less than one mile inland. Admiral Hall provides naval support. At Gold, the British 30th Corps (General Bucknall) lands with 50th Infantry Division and 8th Armored Brigade leading the assault. There is reasonable advance inland although the assigned objectives are not met. At Juno beach, the British 1st Corps (General Crocker) lands with the Canadian 3rd Infantry Division and the Canadian 2nd Armored Brigade leading the assault. The tanks and infantry quickly push inland. Naval support is under the command of Commodore Oliver. At Sword beach, other elements of the British 1st Corps land. The British 3rd Infantry Division, 27th Armored Brigade and several Marine and Commando units lead the assault. The beach is quickly secured and bridges over the Orne River are captured but the first day objectives are not reached. The German 21st Panzer Division counterattacks in the late afternoon but does not dislodge the British defenders. Overall, the Allies land almost 150,000 men. Naval support and massive aerial interdiction prevents the German defenders from concentrating forces for a decisive counterattack. Despite the German resistance, Allied casualties overall were relatively light. The United States and Britain each lost about 1,000 men, and Canada 355. Before the day was over, 155,000 Allied troops would be in Normandy. However, the United States managed to get only half of the 14,000 vehicles and a quarter of the 14,500 tons of supplies they intended on shore. Three factors were decisive in the success of the Allied invasion. First, German counterattacks were firm but sparse, enabling the Allies to create a broad bridgehead, or advanced position, from which they were able to build up enormous troop strength. Second, Allied air cover, which destroyed bridges over the Seine, forced the Germans to suffer long detours, and naval gunfire proved decisive in protecting the invasion troops. And third, division and confusion within the German ranks as to where the invasion would start and how best to defend their position helped the Allies. (Hitler, convinced another invasion was coming the next day east of the Seine River, refused to allow reserves to be pulled from that area.) Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery, commander of Britain's Twenty-first Army Group (but under the overall command of General Eisenhower, for whom Montgomery, and his ego, proved a perennial thorn in the side), often claimed later that the invasion had come off exactly as planned. That was a boast, as evidenced by the failure to take Caen on the first day, as scheduled. While the operation was a decided success, considering the number of troops put ashore and light casualties, improvisation by courageous and quick-witted commanders also played an enormous role.

1944 Brig. General Norman "Dutch" Cota was the first American General to step foot on Omaha Beach. Cota, assistant commander of the 29th Infantry Division, heroically spurred his men to cross the beach under withering German fire. He went on to lead his infantrymen across France to the Siegfried Line and in the battle of Hurtgen Forest and the Battle of the Bulge.

1944 The Allied invasion of France, commonly known as "D-Day" begins as Guardsmen from the 29th Infantry Division (DC, MD, VA) storm onto what will forever after be known as "bloody Omaha" Beach. The lead element, Virginia's 116th Infantry, suffers nearly 80% casualties but gains the foothold needed for the invasion to succeed. The 116's artillery support, the 111th Field Artillery Battalion, also from Virginia, loses all 12 of its guns in high surf trying to get on the beach. Its men take up arms from the dead and fight as infantrymen. Engineer support came from the District of Columbia's 121st Engineer Battalion. Despite high loses too, its men succeed in blowing holes in several obstacles clearing paths for the men to get inland off the beach. In the early afternoon, Maryland's 115th Infantry lands behind the 116th and moves through its shattered remnants to start the movement in off the beach. Supporting the invasion was the largest air fleet known to history. Among the units flying missions were the Guards' 107th (MI) and 109th (MN) Tactical Reconnaissance Squadrons The Normandy campaign lasted until the end of July with four Guard infantry divisions; the 28th (PA), 29th, 30th (NC, SC, TN) and the 35th (KS, MO, NE) taking part along with dozens of non-divisional units all earning the "Normandy" streamer.

1944 Cherokee tribal members communicated via radios in their native language on the Normandy beaches. Some 6,603 Americans were killed along the coast of France during the D-day invasion. A total of 9,758 Allied soldiers died during the invasion. "D-Day" by Stephen Ambrose was published in 1994.

1944 Ninety-nine Coast Guard cutters, Coast Guard-manned warships and landing craft participated in the landings at Normandy, France. CAPT Miles Imlay took command of one of the assault groups attacking Omaha Beach during the invasion. He directed the invasion from his command USS LCI(L)-83. LCI(L)s 85, 91, 92, and 93 (Coast Guard-manned) were lost at the Omaha beachhead that day. Sixty cutters sailed in support of the invasion forces, acted as search and rescue craft for each of the landings. A Coast Guard manned assault transport, the USS Bayfield, served as the command and control vessel for the assault at Utah beach.

1944 The French Expeditionary Corps (part of US 5th Army) completes the capture of Tivoli. Recent combat has depleted 4 German infantry divisions and reduced six of their panzer and panzer grenadier divisions.
Wolfer79
6 June 1944: The D-Day landings during World War II begin. Some 155,000 Allied troops land on beaches in Normandy, France. The code name for the exercise was Operation #Overlord.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.