Coronavirus

2,000,958 Views | 19842 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by Werewolf
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pacfanweb said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Mormad - While you are around, I did have a few questions that hopefully you can answer.

3. Have you seen anything in recent medical papers to suggest why kids and people under the age of 24 seem to have much better outcomes than people in the older age groups? Could it be that people under the age of 24 likely have fewer pre-existing conditions than older age groups or is there something else that makes the virus less fatal for them?
Of course Mormad knows more about this than the rest of us, but I'd think that the reason young people are less susceptible to Covid is the same reason they are less susceptible to all other viruses and sicknesses:

They are young. Stronger and more robust immune symptoms, and they have fewer things wrong with them that might make them have a difficult time fighting it off.

I think you are correct. Part of that is that they are exposed to viruses often and are often getting over a recent cold or other resp virus, and so their immune system is constantly ramped up to fend off similar viruses.
GuerrillaPack
Tuan2020 said:

Corona virus is currently still very strong outbreak. One or two to three years from now there will be a vaccine

Friv2Games | Friv8 | friv2021
A vaccine does not mean that people will be "immune" to this cold/flu virus, if it even really exists.

They cannot even make a vaccine that prevents you from getting the flu. There are many different strains of the flu, and the seasonal flu vaccine just picks one strain (a guess), and usually is very ineffective.

We cannot stay in lockdown over this BS until a vaccine is made. The supposed vaccine may be totally ineffective, just like the seasonal flu vaccine.

We have to go back to life as normal now. We've had enough of this charade.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Mormad
Wayland said:

Mormad said:

Saw data today suggesting kids less than 20 are half as susceptible to infection after exposure and only 21% in the study showed symptoms vs 69% in older adults. Nothing groundbreaking as to WHY this is observed.

I have serious doubts that a decision to focus on testing those that are most likely to test positive is to justify the gov's next steps. I think this type of thinking is where I deviate most from those here.
I don't know that it is some sort of master nefarious plot. Cooper doesn't come off as a 'numbers guy' to me and by his reaction to some of the questions, I think a lot of what is going on is over his head (data related). He is a politician and has that working against him.

But I do know that the state is hiding numbers that they have at their fingertips.

It is like when dealing with children. When you ask simple questions and they respond with oddly vague answers, it doesn't mean they are trying to hide something but it gives you that sense. There is no reason to hide the information they have. It certainly shows some concerning trends in some areas but it also shows things are relatively stable in other areas. Especially hearing how questions on data are answered at briefings knowing they have concrete answers regarding numbers and they feign to be uncertain.

At this point I have less and less faith in the overall hospitalizations because of what appears to be inconsistencies in how 'non-critical' cases are being counted between hospital groups. And oddly disproportionate 'suspected' COVID counts coming out of 1 or 2 hospital groups.

ICU is a different story and I think paints a much clearer picture. And that picture isn't improving from a total ICU admits scenario. So there should be hyper focus there. Again, along side daily admits/recoveries so we can see the flow not just the surface.

My take is DHHS is just bad with data. Cohen, I think, is actually better than most but tries to dumb it down too much and explains it to the media like they are children (they are). She should talk past them and put it out to the people themselves to understand.

I have very little faith in the government to do much good at all any more, but I guess that's a discussion for another thread.

I do hope that the healthcare side of this is good and well intentioned. That said, I have great concerns about the numbers here. We are an outlier. If my family gets really sick, we have decided we are coming to Raleigh.

I have not watched one single state level briefing since this started, so I can't speak intelligently about them. But I do know the numbers you crave are available on a system level. If I could get them for you I would, friend, because I think you do an amazing job with the data at your disposal. I'll give local numbers when I can. I know we're at 54 admitted, 8 in ICU, 4 ventilated over our 5 hospitals with 95 reported dead.
TheStorm
Mormad said:

Saw data today suggesting kids less than 20 are half as susceptible to infection after exposure and only 21% in the study showed symptoms vs 69% in older adults. Nothing groundbreaking as to WHY this is observed.

I have serious doubts that a decision to focus on testing those that are most likely to test positive is to justify the gov's next steps. I think this type of thinking is where I deviate most from those here.
This is really good information. Thank you for sharing it.

Would you be able to venture into whether Elementary School age children look the same as the Middle School age and older ranges? They are probably that one single demographic that still really isn't getting out into the mainstream public venues as much as others (I'm sure we know that Middle School, High School, College age are all back out doing whatever they can within their circle of friends).
Mormad
Ok, that's twice now one of you has mentioned the MMR. You and PackMom. I honestly know nothing about it in regards to C19. But now I'm really interested. I'll see what I can dig up, bud. Good stuff.
Mormad
TheStorm said:

Mormad said:

This is really good information. Thank you for sharing it.

Would you be able to venture into whether Elementary School age children look the same as the Middle School age and older ranges? They are probably that one single demographic that still really isn't getting out into the mainstream public venues as much as others (I'm sure we know that Middle School, High School, College age are all back out doing whatever they can within their circle of friends).

This is the article if y'all are interested

I'll see what I can find
Daviewolf83
Mormad said:

Ok, that's twice now one of you has mentioned the MMR. You and PackMom. I honestly know nothing about it in regards to C19. But now I'm really interested. I'll see what I can dig up, bud. Good stuff.
Thanks. I will see if I can find the study I referenced. It has been a couple of weeks since I read it. If I can find it, I will provide a link as well.
Wayland
Are you guys talking about this stuff? I assume since nothing came of it in the last 2 months it was abandoned.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.10.20053207v1.full.pdf

Quote:

SARS-CoV2 Spike glycoproteins are class I viral membrane fusion proteinsthatshare structural similarities with the Fusion proteins from both measles and mumps viruses.The Macro domains of SARS-CoV-2and rubella virus share 29% amino acid sequence identity.Interestingly, the residues conserved in the SARS-CoV-2 and rubella Macro domains include surface-exposed residues and are presentin the attenuated rubella virus used in the MMR vaccine.We identified at a population level that both older populations and males are both more likely to die from COVID-19, and less likely to be seropositive for rubella-specific immunity, based on historical vaccination programmes of all three countries consideredin this report.Finally, the hypothesis that this macro domain could be recognised by antibodies raised against rubella was supported by data that demonstrated that patients who have SARS-CoV2 infection had raisedlevels of rubella IgG to a level in keeping with secondary rubella infection. Taken together, we suggest that MMR will not prevent COVID-19 infection but could potentially reduce poor outcome. To conclude whether MMR vaccination can improve the outcomes from Covid-19 infection, a study using individual based data to compare MMR immunity status in the affected population is warranted.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/341354165_MMR_Vaccine_Appears_to_Confer_Strong_Protection_from_COVID-19_Few_Deaths_from_SARS-CoV-2_in_Highly_Vaccinated_Populations
Daviewolf83
Mormad - Here is a link to the study I referenced earlier. It was referenced in an article I read that talked about the mechanism for how the MMR vaccine may provide protection against Covid-19. It is a study out of Cambridge.

Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

Are you guys talking about this stuff? I assume since nothing came of it in the last 2 months it was abandoned.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/341354165_MMR_Vaccine_Appears_to_Confer_Strong_Protection_from_COVID-19_Few_Deaths_from_SARS-CoV-2_in_Highly_Vaccinated_Populations
Yes. It was one of a couple of studies I read a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure how much research is being put into it and as I said, the linkage seemed to be weak (29% similarity did not seem to be all that compelling to me). At the same time I found the MMR study, I also found another study that was not specific to Covid-19, but it was related to possible protection that could be gained by use of the live measles vaccine against SARS-Coronavirus.

The link to it is here:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0042682214000051
Wayland
This was the first time I had really looked through the Cambridge stuff. The secondary rubella infection IgG is fascinating. Again, not that I put a lot of stock in stuff of the internet these days. But it is cool to think about in theory if any of this proves true.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

This was the first time I had really looked through the Cambridge stuff. The secondary rubella infection IgG is fascinating. Again, not that I put a lot of stock in stuff of the internet these days. But it is cool to think about in theory if any of this proves true.
I got the MMR vaccine in 1971 (the year is was developed), but it was too late to protect me from the mumps and rubella. I had the mumps in 1966, a year before the mumps vaccine was developed. In 1967, I had rubella. The vaccine for it was not developed until 1969. I only had one dose of the MMR vaccine and I assume any protection I may have had from it has worn off by now.
Wayland
Quote:

6/16/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 12:00pm)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
829 <- 85% still stable since increased from 73% yesterday reporting
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
723 Deaths are now Congregate (+17)
97 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+7)
+36 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

334 Deaths assumed General Population (+12)
796 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+24)

193 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+6)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL is at 1196* and NandO is at 1169 deaths

751 positive cases over 12,942 new tests. 5.8% positive rate.

6/17/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 12:00pm)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
846 <- 86% reporting (was 829 at 85% yesterday)
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
729 Deaths are now Congregate (+6)
99 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+2)
+14 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

340 Deaths assumed General Population (+6)
796 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+8)

195 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+2)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL is at 1208* and NandO is at 1181 deaths

1002 positive cases over 16,001 new tests. 6.3% positive rate.

Dates of deaths reported today:
5/22 - 1
5/31 - 1
6/2 - 1
6/13 -2
6/14 - 2
6/15 - 3
6/16 - 4

Don't know who the back log belongs to. I think the majority of the deaths today were reported out of Meck/Guilford. But since they are also the two hardest places, just as likely to be the current reports.
RunsWithWolves26
Well, I've got a interesting story to tell. My family had a gathering for a birthday a couple weeks ago. 3 days later, my aunt had a head cold, got tested and was positive for Covid19. They were all together for hours at the gathering, ages 15-82. All got tested Friday and got their results today. Noone tested positive from the people that were at the party thankfully. My aunt is doing fine now but maybe it's not as contagious as previously thought. Every body there over the age of 35 had pre-existing conditions but thankfully, none contracted the virus.
Wayland
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Well, I've got a interesting story to tell. My family had a gathering for a birthday a couple weeks ago. 3 days later, my aunt had a head cold, got tested and was positive for Covid19. They were all together for hours at the gathering, ages 15-82. All got tested Friday and got their results today. Noone tested positive from the people that were at the party thankfully. My aunt is doing fine now but maybe it's not as contagious as previously thought. Every body there over the age of 35 had pre-existing conditions but thankfully, none contracted the virus.
Glad to hear of the negatives. Hope for continued health.

Do you mind sharing details of the gathering? Was it inside, outside, combination of the two? Curious since there is such an element of chance in these situations. I know my family while being 'social' have focused primarily on outdoor activities.
acslater1344
GuerrillaPack said:

Tuan2020 said:

Corona virus is currently still very strong outbreak. One or two to three years from now there will be a vaccine

Friv2Games | Friv8 | friv2021
A vaccine does not mean that people will be "immune" to this cold/flu virus, if it even really exists.

They cannot even make a vaccine that prevents you from getting the flu. There are many different strains of the flu, and the seasonal flu vaccine just picks one strain (a guess), and usually is very ineffective.

We cannot stay in lockdown over this BS until a vaccine is made. The supposed vaccine may be totally ineffective, just like the seasonal flu vaccine.

We have to go back to life as normal now. We've had enough of this charade.

1) it exists (I have it)

2) the Earth is round

thank you for listening to my Ted Talk
RunsWithWolves26
Wayland said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Glad to hear of the negatives. Hope for continued health.

Do you mind sharing details of the gathering? Was it inside, outside, combination of the two? Curious since there is such an element of chance in these situations. I know my family while being 'social' have focused primarily on outdoor activities.

Originally it was going to be outside but the weather messed that up so it was moved inside. There were about 25 people there inside the house. Her doctor said she had it when the gathering took place because she had a little bit of a stuffy head but noone else there got it. Everyone got tested as soon as she showed positive and all were negative. What was pathetic is that the people who done the testing were so disorganized that they didn't even ask for phone numbers or names to be contacted. My dad had to tell them they needed that information. This is in the eastern part of the state btw.

Edited to add they weren't even told to self isolate or take any precautions until there test results would be back. Of course, my dad, a state grad, didn't need to be told that but damn, that should be a given to say to people.
TheStorm
Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

I got the MMR vaccine in 1971 (the year is was developed).
LOL. You got shot by that damn gun then, didn't you? The school system actually administered ours... and at that time it was mandatory.
TheStorm
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Glad to hear that your aunt is doing well and glad to hear that no one else turned positive. Please keep us posted on her recovery.
RunsWithWolves26
TheStorm said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Glad to hear that your aunt is doing well and glad to hear that no one else turned positive. Please keep us posted on her recovery.

Will do. It's crazy how much you think about when people you care about are waiting for results for something like this. I know GP will say it's fake but it sure gets real when it hits that Clair to home. Have lost 3 people I've known for years to this but family is a different ballgame.
GuerrillaPack
RunsWithWolves26 said:

TheStorm said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Will do. It's crazy how much you think about when people you care about are waiting for results for something like this. I know GP will say it's fake but it sure gets real when it hits that Clair to home. Have lost 3 people I've known for years to this but family is a different ballgame.
To be clear, I'm not denying that people are dying. And I'm certainly not trying to be insensitive to anyone who has died.

What I'm saying is that I dispute the cause of many of these deaths that are being classifed as "from covid-19". I think many of these people who are dying (again, mostly elderly and those with pre-existing health problems) are actually dying as the result of pneumonia, heart disease, the flu and other other "traditional" illnesses or health problems. But then they are doing a "test" for "covid-19" and if they say that the person "had covid-19" recently, then they classify the death as "caused" by Covid-19. But that's not necessarily the case. They may have had a cold/flu virus recently, but that is not necessarily what caused their death.

And again, the "test" they are using to see if someone has covid-19 is extremely suspect, and unreliable....as I understand. Can anyone tell me how this test supposedly works?

By the way, I've heard that the number of deaths classified from heart attack, pneumonia and the flu have conveniently gone way down over the last few months. How could that be? Because deaths from those things are (incorrectly) being classified as "caused by covid-19".
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
RunsWithWolves26
GuerrillaPack said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

TheStorm said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

To be clear, I'm not denying that people are dying. And I'm certainly not trying to be insensitive to anyone who has died.

What I'm saying is that I dispute the cause of many of these deaths that are being classifed as "from covid-19". I think many of these people who are dying (again, mostly elderly and those with pre-existing health problems) are actually dying as the result of pneumonia, heart disease, the flu and other other "traditional" illnesses or health problems. But then they are doing a "test" for "covid-19" and if they say that the person "had covid-19" recently, then they classify the death as "caused" by Covid-19. But that's not necessarily the case. They may have had a cold/flu virus recently, but that is not necessarily what caused their death.

And again, the "test" they are using to see if someone has covid-19 is extremely suspect, and unreliable....as I understand. Can anyone tell me how this test supposedly works?

By the way, I've heard that the number of deaths classified from heart attack, pneumonia and the flu have conveniently gone way down over the last few months. How could that be? Because deaths from those things are (incorrectly) being classified as "caused by covid-19".

You're insensitive every single time you come on here ranting and raving about the "fake" virus. Just an FYI, and not that you give a damn, my aunt was perfectly healthy before this outside of being over 60 and having minimal blood pressure issues and she got it. She actually got a "fake" virus. Insensitive is what you are and what you've always been.
GuerrillaPack
RunsWithWolves26 said:

You're insensitive every single time you come on here ranting and raving about the "fake" virus. Just an FYI, and not that you give a damn, my aunt was perfectly healthy before this outside of being over 60 and having minimal blood pressure issues and she got it. She actually got a "fake" virus. Insensitive is what you are and what you've always been.
Honest question for you or anyone....how does this test to see if someone "has covid-19" work? And how reliable truly is it?

RunsWithWolves26
GuerrillaPack said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Honest question for you or anyone....how does this test to see if someone "has covid-19" work? And how reliable truly is it?

Honest answer. I don't know but I damn sure don't act like you and act like I know everything. I damn sure don't deny it's real and rant and rave that it's fake from the mountain tops. I know that my aunt along with 3 others that died from it, had all the symptoms of this, as you call it, "fake" virus. Again, I don't claim to know everything like you do. I don't ignore facts and stick to my crazy opinions like you do. I do know you are about the most insensitive, opinionated, and wrong person I've ever done across.
wilmwolf
RWW, please just click the ignore button like the rest of us do.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
acslater1344
RunsWithWolves26 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Honest answer. I don't know but I damn sure don't act like you and act like I know everything. I damn sure don't deny it's real and rant and rave that it's fake from the mountain tops. I know that my aunt along with 3 others that died from it, had all the symptoms of this, as you call it, "fake" virus. Again, I don't claim to know everything like you do. I don't ignore facts and stick to my crazy opinions like you do. I do know you are about the most insensitive, opinionated, and wrong person I've ever done across.

It's not worth it, brother. GP is the crazy uncle of these boards. No reason to entertain his nonsense.
RunsWithWolves26
acslater1344 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

It's not worth it, brother. GP is the crazy uncle of these boards. No reason to entertain his nonsense.

Yep. Sorry for falling for his nonsense fellas. I will do better.
Mormad
I think many of you will find this really interesting. Can be difficult to muddle through if you're not used to the language, but makes some really interesting points. Would love to discuss with you guys. Sorry I've never posted links here so you'll have to search it out or teach me to post links lol.
Daviewolf83
TheStorm said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

I got the MMR vaccine in 1971 (the year is was developed).
LOL. You got shot by that damn gun then, didn't you? The school system actually administered ours... and at that time it was mandatory.
Yes I did. Ours was administered by the school system as well. We all went to the elementary school gym, lined up in a couple of lines and got shot with a gun in my left arm. We were all nervous about it, but it went really fast and it only produced a drop of blood on the arm. I remember one of my classmates having to be held by four teachers so they could give her the vaccine. She was screaming and crying through the whole ordeal.

For the polio vaccine (I think it was in 1964), we went to the same gym (a few years earlier) and were given a sugar cube in a paper cup. The vaccine was administered as a drop of the vaccine on a sugar cube. All we had to do was eat the sugar cube. I remember being nervous about it, but it was not bad. Everyone loves sugar :-)
Wayland
Link to above:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2015897
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

Link to above:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2015897
Mormad and Wayland - Thanks for the link. My son will be tested on Friday, so it is interesting to read about the potential for false-negatives and false-positives. If his is negative, he will be allowed to start training in his school's weight room and indoor practice field. He will also get to workout by himself (punting/kicking workouts) on the open practice fields. He is really eager to get tested and get the results back. While on campus and when working out, everyone is required to wear a mask. They can not remove the mask until they return to their off-campus house.

Currently, they are working out in groups of 8 or less for conditioning on an outdoor practice field. If anyone tests positive on Friday from his group, they all will quarantine individually for 14 days. They had to quarantine for 9 days prior to being allowed to workout in the small groups this week and when not working out, they are expected to stay in quarantine (ie., their off-campus house).
Mormad
Thanks!
packgrad
GuerrillaPack said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

TheStorm said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I agree, and many on this thread have said the same thing. Admittedly this virus is real and deadly, but I am also interested in the decreases in deaths of the other similar illnesses this year. I think we will look back in a couple of years and see that the stats were juked.
packgrad
Maybe the media is finally starting to listen to Wayland and Davie. Dozens of outlets are suing the governor and NCDHHS to make records public. It also appears they cherry pick who gets to ask questions at each conference.

Wayland
packgrad said:

Maybe the media is finally starting to listen to Wayland and Davie. Dozens of outlets are suing the governor and NCDHHS to make records public. It also appears they cherry pick who gets to ask questions at each conference.

Bummer that it looks like another month at least until resolution.

Although it makes me feel better that there are media members out there fighting for this information. I just wish they would make this fight more public in general.
First Page Last Page
Page 99 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.