Coronavirus

2,302,690 Views | 20272 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Werewolf
Werewolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't have it, but I know people who do. Check out Burrow on Roku.

#Devolution #Expand Your Thinking #Eye of The Storm #TheGreatAwakening
Werewolf
Werewolf
Werewolf
#Sieve........but Fauci told us it was a pandemic that would exterminate the human species. The Australian govt was locking its citizens up whenever the jab was refused.

Werewolf
You guys might want guys like #Sieve and #Gobbler to join #Nappy in New York so they can secure an adequate dose of both jabs and lockdown.

TheStorm
Is #Gobbler the new "wereism" for #Hoak?

Just want to make sure that I can keep up with everything correctly.
Werewolf
TheStorm said:

Is #Gobbler the new "wereism" for #Hoak?

Just want to make sure that I can keep up with everything correctly.
;-)
Wayland
SmaptyWolf
Wayland said:

I'm confused. You guys think Covid is a hoax and/or is just a sniffle, but also that it's such a big deal that you have to get to the bottom of the OMG LAB LEAK?

Please choose one:

1) Just a sniffle? Ok great, STFU about the lab.
2) A big deal? Ok great, STFU and get your vaccine before it eventually kills you.

packgrad
Wayland
SmaptyWolf said:

Wayland said:

I'm confused. You guys think Covid is a hoax and/or is just a sniffle, but also that it's such a big deal that you have to get to the bottom of the OMG LAB LEAK?

Please choose one:

2) A big deal? Ok great, STFU and get your vaccine before it eventually kills you.

Feel free to read through the last 557 pages of this thread to catch up. I think I have been pretty clear.

Sweeping generalizations of posters and your apparent lack of ability to understand nuance makes you come off like a Johnny-come-lately jackass.

The level of complexity to the various issues of the last few years from vaccines to public health response to CDC to NIH and all points in between appear well beyond your mental acuity.

To you it is all black and white and any poster who posts something against your devout beliefs is just another 'you guys'.

I genuinely feel sorry for you.
SmaptyWolf
Wayland said:

SmaptyWolf said:

Wayland said:

Please choose one:

Feel free to read through the last 557 pages of this thread to catch up. I think I have been pretty clear.

Sweeping generalizations of posters and your apparent lack of ability to understand nuance makes you come off like a Johnny-come-lately jackass.

The level of complexity to the various issues of the last few years from vaccines to public health response to CDC to NIH and all points in between appear well beyond your mental acuity.

To you it is all black and white and any poster who posts something against your devout beliefs is just another 'you guys'.

I genuinely feel sorry for you.

Lol, sorry, I meant to say y'all.

But it really isn't that complicated. Trump was worried about his reelection and saw the pandemic as an existential threat. So Republicans turned it into a culture war issue and you man-babies ensured this pandemic was as bad as it could possibly be. And Trump lost anyway. Maybe it was because he killed more of his own voters?

Anyway, for some reason you guys are STILL blathering on about this crap. I guess there's no "off switch" for a death cult.
packgrad
Well beyond his mental capacity. He's a loser poster.
packgrad
TheStorm
Smapty obviously hasn't realized that he's in over his head yet... now trying to go after Wayland.

Oh boy.
SmaptyWolf
TheStorm said:

Smapty obviously hasn't realized that he's in over his head yet... now trying to go after Wayland.

Oh boy.

Lol, over my head in your mountain of grade school BS, for sure.

Just like the rest of you have shown over and over, Wayland is clearly not able to debate the memes he regurgitates. In his defense, this stuff you guys are fed is indefensibly dumb and requires a Tucker-level con artist to sell, so I get why all you can really do is violently sputter when someone calls you out.
Werewolf
two more days ledt in Nov….get it while u can
Civilized
SmaptyWolf said:

TheStorm said:

Oh boy.

Just like the rest of you have shown over and over, Wayland is clearly not able to debate the memes he regurgitates. In his defense, this stuff you guys are fed is indefensibly dumb and requires a Tucker-level con artist to sell, so I get why all you can really do is violently sputter when someone calls you out.

I don't think you were on the board during the formative stages of the pandemic, but Wayland's one of the good guys Smapty. For years during Covid he took an analytical and data-driven approach to assessing the situation and shared a lot of that data on here.

You may disagree with some of his conclusions around the margins or regarding public policy implications of addressing an evolving and novel virus, but don't confuse him with the meme vomiters on here. He is anything but that.
SmaptyWolf
Civilized said:

SmaptyWolf said:

TheStorm said:

Oh boy.

I don't think you were on the board during the formative stages of the pandemic, but Wayland's one of the good guys Smapty. For years during Covid he took an analytical and data-driven approach to assessing the situation and shared a lot of that data on here.

You may disagree with some of his conclusions around the margins or regarding public policy implications of addressing an evolving and novel virus, but don't confuse him with the meme vomiters on here. He is anything but that.

Gotcha! Well, I'm sorry I missed the data-driven Wayland... apparently I just met the "Australian Fox News meme" and "it's well beyond your mental acuity" Wayland.
Civilized
SmaptyWolf said:

Civilized said:

SmaptyWolf said:

TheStorm said:

Oh boy.

Gotcha! Well, I'm sorry I missed the data-driven Wayland... apparently I just met the "Australian Fox News meme" and "it's well beyond your mental acuity" Wayland.

I think he just got pissy with the "painting everyone with the same broad brush" flamethrower approach. I guarantee he'll treat you with reciprocal respect if you don't roll him into your basket of Water Cooler deplorables.

I don't speak for Wayland and he can jump in and correct me but his quibbles were mostly and understandably with lack of medical justification for some COVID public policy and, likely even moreso communication (or lack thereof) of drivers for policy being so frequently lacking or inaccurate. This was obviously true on the front end and then as we grew to know more using hindsight and with additional data there was again not sufficient analysis and communication about lessons learned and what we would do differently next time. Basically there appeared to be a near-total lack of accountability for COVID policy and communications shortcomings.

Broadly I agree with Wayland about significant aspects of public policy and communication failings during COVID.

On one hand, we can accurately say that this was a novel, evolving, and very deadly pandemic and the government had the unenviable task of trying to determine and communicate resolution paths in real time using only foresight. All true.

On the other, frequently communicating with the American public in such an opaque manner like we're all a bunch of schoolchildren results in only one outcome, diminished public trust in institutions, which is completely counterproductive. The people that understand the limitations of working knowledge of an evolving situation want the most comprehensive possible information and then will likely make a sound medical decision. The people that rail about their freedom to make their own decisions and want to "do their own research" are not going to be swayed by what the government says regardless. Being clearly talked down to doesn't give the analytical crowd the information that will resonate with them and gives even more ammo to the "do their own research" crowd that the gub'ment can't be trusted.

The public perception of the CDC and other state and federal institutions was significantly harmed during COVID, and much of that harm was preventable and self-inflicted.

That, to me, needs to be one of the greatest lessons learned from COVID - public policy communication transparency is a must, not "even in" a pandemic but "especially in" one.

packgrad
nm
SmaptyWolf
Civilized said:

SmaptyWolf said:

Civilized said:

SmaptyWolf said:

TheStorm said:

Oh boy.

I think he just got pissy with the "painting everyone with the same broad brush" flamethrower approach. I guarantee he'll treat you with reciprocal respect if you don't roll him into your basket of Water Cooler deplorables.

I don't speak for Wayland and he can jump in and correct me but his quibbles were mostly and understandably with lack of medical justification for some COVID public policy and, likely even moreso communication (or lack thereof) of drivers for policy being so frequently lacking or inaccurate. This was obviously true on the front end and then as we grew to know more using hindsight and with additional data there was again not sufficient analysis and communication about lessons learned and what we would do differently next time. Basically there appeared to be a near-total lack of accountability for COVID policy and communications shortcomings.

Broadly I agree with Wayland about significant aspects of public policy and communication failings during COVID.

On one hand, we can accurately say that this was a novel, evolving, and very deadly pandemic and the government had the unenviable task of trying to determine and communicate resolution paths in real time using only foresight. All true.

On the other, frequently communicating with the American public in such an opaque manner like we're all a bunch of schoolchildren results in only one outcome, diminished public trust in institutions, which is completely counterproductive. The people that understand the limitations of working knowledge of an evolving situation want the most comprehensive possible information and then will likely make a sound medical decision. The people that rail about their freedom to make their own decisions and want to "do their own research" are not going to be swayed by what the government says regardless. Being clearly talked down to doesn't give the analytical crowd the information that will resonate with them and gives even more ammo to the "do their own research" crowd that the gub'ment can't be trusted.

The public perception of the CDC and other state and federal institutions was significantly harmed during COVID, and much of that harm was preventable and self-inflicted.

That, to me, needs to be one of the greatest lessons learned from COVID - public policy communication transparency is a must, not "even in" a pandemic but "especially in" one.

I hear what you're saying, I just have a completely different recollection of the entire episode.

At the beginning of the pandemic I recall the CDC, Dr Fauci, Governor Cuomo, etc attempting to be very open and candid about what we knew and didn't know, and made science-based recommendations accordingly given limited research.

However it was very clear from the beginning that Trump saw the pandemic as a threat to his political well-being, and set about quickly creating a culture war pushback of people claiming it was all a hoax, just the flu, etc. It was a Republican strategy to discredit the CDC/NIH/etc from the beginning. Trump frequently stood on the podium next to Dr Fauci directly contradicting him (trying to paint rosy pictures about Covid being gone by Easter, etc), they completely co-opted CDC director Birx, and of course trashed every public health recommendation as tyranny.

So our Public Health establishment was put in an impossible situation. And even if they could disregard the entire machine that had been built to discredit them, the fact of the matter is that the job of Public Health isn't just to give you pure science, it's to craft policies that people will actually follow. If they had told people that no, actually sending your kids to school probably isn't safe, pretty much everyone would have said "**** this" in very short order. Rinse and repeat throughout the pandemic. Science was continuously forced to soften its guidance to figure out the "least harm that people will actually do", especially as things dragged on and even hard core social distancers started whining about quarantine guidance, etc. And then of course few people could understand that the virus was quickly mutating, which meant the rules had to change regularly. The more the CDC tried to be honest about that and change guidance, the easier it was to "discredit" them for being "clueless flip floppers" or whatever.

So yes, they HAD to talk down to you, for the good of everyone. Because honestly, many people were behaving like schoolchildren, like the pandemic was something that was being done to them by a mean parent.

Fast forward to today... on one hand you've got the Republican machine who worked 24/7 to discredit our Public Health establishment. They are still obsessed with trashing Fauci (see Wayland's video above... it always comes back to Fauci). No surprise, conservatives' perception of the CDC and other state and federal institutions was "significantly harmed". That was the goal.

On the other hand, among some of the sane half of the country the perception of the CDC was harmed because I think they had unrealistic expectations of what Public Health was capable of, even under ideal circumstances (which these definitely weren't). I'm definitely one of those people who just wanted the straight science... but if most people would have just ignored it then they would have failed at their job then, too. So instead we got messaging compromises that I also found frustrating... but I understood why their hands were tied.

Sooooo, yeah... I'm sure there are some things they could have done better, especially in hindsight. But man, I actually think Fauci in particular deserves a 50 foot bronze statue for enduring our epic bull**** and getting us through this.
Werewolf
LMAO, God help us and get this dude his November shot. And send Sieve up there with him for his too.......and they can both wear masks and enjoy their Governor's lockdowns together.
SmaptyWolf
Anyway, just out of curiosity, is there a particular communication failing that stands out to you? Or something they said that was particularly inaccurate?
Werewolf
#Sieve, New York is calling you. #Nappy welcomes you. Shots together, face masks together and lockdowns together. Sounds fun doesn't it. Be like #nappy.
Werewolf
Ole #Sieve and #Nappy are gonna have Chris Mathews size Obama woodies when they read this!

Werewolf
Woodie #2 for #theSieve and #Nappy.
TheStorm
That sht was f'n hilarious... and no, I'm not talking about Were's memes (I don't even stop to read those).
TheStorm
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/white-house-worked-youtube-censor-covid-19-vaccine-misinformation-house-judiciary-committee

I bet Civ will have a perfect explanation for why this is OK (as long as it's the Dems of course )...
packgrad

hokiewolf
packgrad said:

That's what my Dr and I discussed. Why get a booster for something that is no longer circulating in the environment? The boosters now don't seem to be keeping up with the variants, and the variant symptoms are getting better, not worse, which makes sense since the virus doesn't want to kill its host ultimately.
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
GuerrillaPack
Well…it's that time! The WINTER OF DEATH is upon us!!!

Why have only 14% of Americans gotten their MIRACLE vaccine??!

https://www.vox.com/policy/2023/11/17/23964294/covid-19-vaccine-2023-us-vaccination-rates

Quote:

Why are so few people getting the latest Covid-19 vaccine?

What good is a miraculous vaccine if nobody wants to take it?

Nov 17, 2023

The Covid-19 vaccines were hailed as a miracle upon their arrival. They were delivered earlier than anyone thought possible and proved exceptionally effective in preventing hospitalizations and deaths. More than 80 percent of all Americans, and more than 90 percent of adults, received at least one dose of the vaccines, remarkable penetration in a country where less than half of people get their flu shot every year.

But so far this year, just 14 percent of adults have received a dose of the new vaccine formulation that became available in September compared to 28 percent who have gotten a flu shot.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
caryking
hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

That's what my Dr and I discussed. Why get a booster for something that is no longer circulating in the environment? The boosters now don't seem to be keeping up with the variants, and the variant symptoms are getting better, not worse, which makes sense since the virus doesn't want to kill its host ultimately.
Hokie, your point could have been said, from the very beginning... BTW, I agree...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
SmaptyWolf
hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

Up until recently, all booster shots were from the original strain of the virus, so it didn't exactly match the circulating variant either... yet there are mountains of data showing that almost everyone that died from Covid was/is unvaccinated. So it clearly has helped regardless of variant.

An inexact match means that you're less likely to be protected from contracting the virus in the first place, but there are many other layers to your immune system that protect you from severe illness, and they are helped by repeated exposure to viruses (or vaccines) that are in the ballpark but not an exact match.

Ask your doctor if a yearly flu shot still helps you even if it's not a good match that year. Hint: it does.
Civilized
hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

Yeah my impression is that boosters are mostly for the elderly or immunocompromised at this point.

It's the only cohort for whom there is a moderate or better net potential benefit.

Science: Should I get a COVID booster?
First Page Last Page
Page 557 of 580

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.