Coronavirus

2,007,684 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Werewolf
WPNfamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Glasswolf said:

Happy Friday everyone. 19 flagged post just on the last 2 pages. I cleared them all. Everyone have a great weekend.

Can we find out who flagged them so we can ridicule them for trying to stop quality entertainment?
packgrad
WPNfamily said:

Glasswolf said:

Happy Friday everyone. 19 flagged post just on the last 2 pages. I cleared them all. Everyone have a great weekend.

Can we find out who flagged them so we can ridicule them for trying to stop quality entertainment?

If we could find out who liked posts, we could.
Packchem91
Glasswolf said:

Really? There are a bunch of sensitive folks on the site.
Oldsouljer
Then there's this.....

https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/german-study-finds-lockdown-had-no-effect-stopping-spread-covid
RunsWithWolves26
Oldsouljer said:

Then there's this.....

https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/german-study-finds-lockdown-had-no-effect-stopping-spread-covid

Not sure why you replied to me with this. I hated the lockdown.
Oldsouljer
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Oldsouljer said:

Then there's this.....

Not sure why you replied to me with this. I hated the lockdown.
Apologies, I didn't mean to single you out, just to add this to the thread for discussion.
hokiewolf
Oldsouljer said:

Then there's this.....

it really is interesting, the lockdown at first made sense to slow the spread and not overwhelm hospitals. That part worked, but then it was almost like no one had any idea what to do after that and just kept doing the same thing.
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
Glasswolf
Packchem91 said:

Glasswolf said:

Really? There are a bunch of sensitive folks on the site.
It's becoming like a running joke. Sensitive on both sides.
wilmwolf
Once it was clear that the hospital system wasn't going to be overrun, the wholesale, statewide lockdowns should have ended. If flare-ups happened, lock things down locally. The damage done to education, mental health, and economy may never be undone in some places. As a short term fix, I wasn't opposed to it, but pretty early on information from other countries and areas within this country indicated it wasn't having a meaningful effect in keeping the most at risk from getting sick. Given months to do nothing but analyze data and plan, the leadership in many states just sat there on their hands as two weeks turned into 14 months. A failure to follow the science, by the people screaming that the loudest.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Once it was clear that the hospital system wasn't going to be overrun, the wholesale, statewide lockdowns should have ended. If flare-ups happened, lock things down locally. The damage done to education, mental health, and economy may never be undone in some places. As a short term fix, I wasn't opposed to it, but pretty early on information from other countries and areas within this country indicated it wasn't having a meaningful effect in keeping the most at risk from getting sick. Given months to do nothing but analyze data and plan, the leadership in many states just sat there on their hands as two weeks turned into 14 months. A failure to follow the science, by the people screaming that the loudest.
Well said.
Mormad
https://mashupmd.com/california-mandated-masks-florida-opened-its-restaurants-did-any-of-it-matter
BBW12OG
Had to defeat Donald J. Trump. That was it. Win at all costs and to hell with the consequences. The party in power wanted nothing else but to "own" the conservatives.

They will rue the day they did that.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
PackFansXL
Secure DNA Link

Quote:

A world in which thousands of people can construct and release autonomous biological agents is unlikely to flourish.

Our challenge is to prevent the immense power of biotechnology from being misused. Historical pandemics killed tens of millions of people, and engineered agents could be even more destructive.

Many thousands of people have the technical skills to build and release autonomous biological weapons, but only if they know what to make and can obtain a physical copy for example, by assembling it from synthetic DNA.
Perhaps this deserves a separate thread. This article suggests methods to protect against the ultimate bio-killer.
packgrad
And so it begins.

GuerrillaPack
Only 41.6% of Americans are fully injected, and this is "worrying" our overlords according to this report.

BBW12OG
Not one person will be able to dispute the fact this was overinflated purposefully to defeat Donald J. Trump.

You lefties are something else.

But on the bright side when will Trump get credit for eradicating the flu? Can one of you medical experts please weigh in on that one and that is a serious question. Not trying to be snarky. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
Daviewolf83
Below is a chart showing vaccination rates by age group for NC. The chart shows both partially and fully vaccinated.

Mormad
BBW12OG said:

Not one person will be able to dispute the fact this was overinflated purposefully to defeat Donald J. Trump.

But on the bright side when will Trump get credit for eradicating the flu? Can one of you medical experts please weigh in on that one and that is a serious question. Not trying to be snarky. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Among the reasons flu disappeared:

1. Flu, unlike covid, has a short incubation period. People know they're sick early in the process and avoid exposing others

2. Flu, unlike covid, is spread very well by kids in school. No kids in school, no kids exposed, no families and community exposure, flu dies on the vine

3. Masks and social distancing and hand washing actually do "work" for respiratory diseases despite popular opinion, and appears to have "worked" well to reduce exposure to cold and flu viruses.

4. Flu viruses were potentially nearly eradicated by the simple existence of a more dominant virus spreading through communities.
BBW12OG
Thank you. That makes sense.

As more of the "corrections" are done for the death totals do you think the MSM will publicize any of it?
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

- Thomas Jefferson
TheStorm
Mormad said:

BBW12OG said:

Thanks in advance.

1. Flu, unlike covid, has a short incubation period. People know they're sick early in the process and avoid exposing others

2. Flu, unlike covid, is spread very well by kids in school. No kids in school, no kids exposed, no families and community exposure, flu dies on the vine

3. Masks and social distancing and hand washing actually do "work" for respiratory diseases despite popular opinion, and appears to have "worked" well to reduce exposure to cold and flu viruses.

4. Flu viruses were potentially nearly eradicated by the simple existence of a more dominant virus spreading through communities.

Personally, I think that #4 probably had the most impact... just trying to use logic.
Wayland
TheStorm said:

Mormad said:

BBW12OG said:

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I think that #4 probably had the most impact... just trying to use logic.

Agree, I think #4 is grossly underestimated by the mainstream since they want to credit the sunk costs of NPIs and the illusion of control. We should see a resurgence of other viruses though the summer and fall as COVID wanes (assuming it doesn't continue to dominate).

#1. I can maybe buy to some degree that people were slightly more careful and there could have been an incremental effect here BUT...

#2. There were a number of countries in Europe and even states in the U.S. that did not close schools (or businesses to a large degree). And these places also had no flu. The flu basically simultaneously disappeared worldwide as COVID increased regardless of the level of NPI of a given state or country. Perhaps some travel restrictions prevented spread(?) BUT it isn't like there were ZERO cases... just NEAR ZERO.... how the hell did 40 people in NC catch flu this year (false positives?).... and of a number of different types. So... it was out there.... just being suppressed.

#3. Still don't like this one since these both theoretically worked for flu and yet didn't work for COVID as it continued to run rampant in spite of these measures. Certainly, the 'Zoom Class' of society was protected somewhat better than (and at a direct cost to the proletariat), but you can't have it both ways. Sure, N95s worn right have some marginal benefit, but cloth and surgical, still under debate (and certainly not commensurate to the levels claimed by public health professionals). It is certainly possible harm was caused by exaggerating the effectiveness of cloth masks and having people expose themselves to COVID in circumstances they should have still been avoiding entirely. But again... we will be debating this for years and will have to agree to disagree for now. I complied fully as required by law, and respect people's choice on the matter, but hope that if people do have legitimate cause for concern, they will at least aim for the highest quality mask or avoid situations where they feel at risk.

and so we are left with #4... a dominant virus essentially running viral interference.

It will take years to settle the science and it will be interesting to see what the actual answers will be. Provided the discussions and analysis are allowed to take place given the current environment of 'the science' being settled without debate.
bigeric
question for the cognoscenti here.

Can several viruses with similar enough proteins attack each other, using those similar proteins?
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
Wayland
Here is a chart from BioFire SyndromicTrends

Can really see the resurgence of Parainfluenza and RSV starting in Feb/March as C19 wanes. Still not really any flu, so I guess we will see next season. Also interesting is that resurgence in another coronavirus in April/May.

Wayland
Case numbers continue to drop.

NC 7 day average of daily reported cases down to 427. Hospitalizations down to 546.

NC DHHS reported a ton of backlog deaths today. There were more deaths reported from 2020 today than from the most recent 4 weeks.

johntom
This is great news. I imagine it'll be tough to continue this downward trend too much longer, but it's nice to see the numbers be at a "reasonable" level even a few weeks after things have more or less opened up completely.
Civilized
It's huge.
Wayland
johntom said:

This is great news. I imagine it'll be tough to continue this downward trend too much longer, but it's nice to see the numbers be at a "reasonable" level even a few weeks after things have more or less opened up completely.

We are kind of to the point where it is hard to compare to when cases were this low early in the pandemic due to the lack of testing that was going on then. Almost need to move to a 'year over year' comparison assuming some sort of seasonal component.

6/7/2020 v 6/7/2021

7 day average Cases 994 -> 427

7 day average % positive: 8.8% -> 2.7%

Hospitalizations: 713 -> 546

COVID ICU: 281 -> 169

Obviously at this point in 2020 the underlying trend was increasing vs the 6-8 week post plateau decrease we are currently in.

Case 7 day avg change % vs 1 week prior:

+30% from May 31 to June 7, 2020
-38% from May 31 to June 7, 2021

Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

Case numbers continue to drop.

NC 7 day average of daily reported cases down to 427. Hospitalizations down to 546.

NC DHHS reported a ton of backlog deaths today. There were more deaths reported from 2020 today than from the most recent 4 weeks.

The next three weeks of reporting are key. If trends stay flat to down, we will have likely avoided the mid-Summer increase. The trends for hospitalizations are very good and are actually a better measure than cases and percent positive. Keeping my fingers crossed for good trends through the next couple of weeks.
RunsWithWolves26
My hope is that with the vaccines that have been given so far, we can avoid that increase. Not sure if that's wishful thinking or not but it sure would be nice to not see the chart climb again this time.
Wayland
RunsWithWolves26 said:

My hope is that with the vaccines that have been given so far, we can avoid that increase. Not sure if that's wishful thinking or not but it sure would be nice to not see the chart climb again this time.
Will definitely be holding my breath for the next few weeks, I'd think if we don't see any sort of significant surge, it is time to dial things back.

Testing, at that point, should be reserved for diagnostic purposes. Shut the dashboards down, and slowly revert to the ILINET types of seasonal weekly reports that have been ongoing for years for the flu.
BBW12OG
Thank You President Trump and Operation Warp Speed for creating a situation that even the most inept administration in history couldn't **** up.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

- Thomas Jefferson
Mormad
11 pts admitted across 4 campuses, and NONE in the icu
TheStorm
^ NCDHHS numbers are STILL inflated... the question is WHY? Kind of really doesn't make any common sense for them to feel that they need to make it seem worse than it is anymore...
Wayland
TheStorm said:

^ NCDHHS numbers are STILL inflated... the question is WHY? Kind of really doesn't make any common sense for them to feel that they need to make it seem worse than it is anymore...
Excited to see Mormad's numbers. Really hope to see those numbers drop and it reflected in the official count.

Triad counties continue to trend some of the highest in the HHS data set for admits last 7 days.

Guilford 45
Forsyth 38

Meck 38
Catawba 23
Iredell 13

Wake 24
Durham 17
Orange 8

Robeson 22

Pitt 20

But our ED visits diagnosed with COVID are down to 0.4%-0.5%... so that is 1 in 200-250. At some point we should stop seeing a high number of new admits.

But whatever the dashboard numbers are... it is good to see some behind the scenes numbers so low especially ICUs
PackPA2015
Our SC-based (just across the state line) hospital has stopped sending us emails with our inpatient numbers since they have significantly decreased since the winter.

Latest numbers I have are from beginning of May and we were averaging 25-30 inpatient with 5-8 patients with test results pending. At their drive-thru test site, testing between 100-300 on a daily basis.

For comparison, in January, we were averaging 200-300 inpatient with 20-30 with pending test results. At that time, we were testing 2500-3000 on a daily basis.

What a difference a few months make.
First Page Last Page
Page 290 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.