Coronavirus

2,006,844 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
PackPA2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good news and bad news in the COVID articles for today. Cases and deaths continue to lessen. Vaccinations continue to increase, but new variants keep appearing. The one in NY has a mutation in the spike protein that causes the body to have a lessened immune response against it. It is definitely one to watch.

Good News - COVID Cases and Deaths Decreasing

Bad News - New Variant in NY is One to Watch

ETA: Here is an AP article discussing low flu cases. I know we all have discussed this previously.
Flu has Disappeared
Colonel Armstrong
As we get closer to the finish line here we'll hear a lot more about new variants. Media ain't gonna let this go without a fight, it's been a cash cow for them
PackPA2015
Yes, media does sensationalize the variants. However, the NY variant is slightly different. Our vaccines mimic the spike protein on the outside of the virus. This spike protein is what allows the virus to enter our cells and infect us. If there is a variant in this spike protein, this could be a very significant mutation that likely would affect our vaccine effectiveness. It is similar to the South Africa variant which we believe does lower the vaccine effectiveness, but not significantly. We just need more data on this NY variant to make that call or not.
Mormad
PackPA2015 said:

Yes, media does sensationalize the variants. However, the NY variant is slightly different. Our vaccines mimic the spike protein on the outside of the virus. This spike protein is what allows the virus to enter our cells and infect us. If there is a variant in this spike protein, this could be a very significant mutation that likely would affect our vaccine effectiveness. It is similar to the South Africa variant which we believe does lower the vaccine effectiveness, but not significantly. We just need more data on this NY variant to make that call or not.

Well, damn. A virus is gonna virus, ain't it. That is potentially really suck arse news. That is the one mutation that is a game changer.
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

Good news and bad news in the COVID articles for today. Cases and deaths continue to lessen. Vaccinations continue to increase, but new variants keep appearing. The one in NY has a mutation in the spike protein that causes the body to have a lessened immune response against it. It is definitely one to watch.

Good News - COVID Cases and Deaths Decreasing

Bad News - New Variant in NY is One to Watch

ETA: Here is an AP article discussing low flu cases. I know we all have discussed this previously.
Flu has Disappeared

Based on the article I posted last week with the interview of Dr. Mina of Harvard, he talked about mutations and how poorly the US doing in testing for mutations/variants across the population. I suspect there are a lot of variants present that we have no idea are present. Some of these variants will be successful and increase in prevalence and others will fail to spread and die out. Who knows what will happen with the new one from NY.

Last year, I do recall reading reports that suggest virus' typically become less virulent over time, so it would be interesting if the coronavirus that causes Covid-19 is becoming more deadly through mutation. I need to do some more research on this area to better understand the mechanisms that would cause them to become more virulent. I am sure it is possible, but I do not understand how this happens.

It is actually in a virus's best interest to become less deadly and to decrease it adverse effects on the human hosts. For example, I have seen some early studies on the UK mutation that suggest that while it was more contagious, it was not more likely to cause you to be hospitalized. Even though the prevalence of it increased in the UK, hospitalization increases could not be correlated to the increase in prevalence. I am sure this is still being studied, along with the South African variety.

The use of narrow spectrum vaccines (the current Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are narrow spectrum) is a limitation when the virus is effectively mutating. All our current vaccines are focused on the spike protein and as such, variations in the spike protein could decrease the vaccines effectiveness. As you pointed out, the current vaccines are still effective against some of these known mutations, but eventually there will be a mutation that can evade the bodies built-up antibodies and T-Cells. Let's all hope this does not happen.
Daviewolf83
Here's what Dr. Mina said on the vaccines and mutations in the referenced article:

"Another issue: All of the major vaccines that we are building all present the exact same spike protein. They're all clones of each other no difference for the most part. Nobody ever took a step back to say, what if this virus mutates? We are vaccinating with a narrow-spectrum vaccine against one piece of the virus. If that piece mutates, it would be able to escape all of our vaccines. And all it needs to do is mutate once, somewhere in the world. And then all of our major vaccines are moot. Why was that not considered?"

"And we're doing so little genetic surveillance of the disease here in the States, we don't even really know what strains are here. We're flying blind."

"We'd much rather just wait and then blame South America and blame the U.K. Meanwhile, we're probably getting the identical variants here not just because they're being brought in by travelers, but because they are probably being built right here in the U.S. through mutation and viral evolution. But now we can blame it on South America or South Africa and the U.K. instead of blaming it on ourselves."

Read the whole article here:
How Long Can Covid Cases Keep Plummeting?

As to a virus potentially becoming less virulent, here is what Dr. Paul Sax said in the article I linked earlier this week:

"Maybe the virus is doing us a favor and becoming less virulent over time. Perhaps some of these variants if not B.1.1.7 in order to gain the ability to transmit, also cause less severe disease."

"Take the virus's perspective yes, think like a virus and how this would be evolutionarily beneficial. More mild cases, more chance to spread its genetic material to other susceptible hosts. That's all viruses care about, right?"

Read the whole article here:
Why are Covid-19 Case Numbers Dropping?
PackPA2015
The testing for variants is very odd. From what I have read, labs are just sampling various test samples for the specific variants. Is this what you have seen as well?

I agree wholeheartedly that we are not monitoring well enough. Hopefully, vaccine companies will continue to research and produce boosters that do not use the same exact spike protein. We need to get ahead of this in case it does happen. No one wants to repeat 2020.
Mormad
I like Mina, and i appreciate his thoughts, but he lost me a little in that quote about mutations and placing blame. Dr. mina will never convince me that those who were charged with making an effective vaccine against the overwhelmingly prevalent form of the virus and to do it really fast didn't consider that the virus could mutate and make their product obsolete in some cases. They all know this about viral behavior and probably already have ideas about how to broaden the coverage. This was predictable. It appears a fabulous job was done creating an effective vaccine against the spike protein, and I'm sure those same minds are thinking of ways to broaden the coverage since so many lives and so much fame and money remains at stake. I just hope we're testing enough samples to catch the variants before one of them becomes prevalent. Luckily, as you suggest, we have reason to hope the mutants are less virulent.
PackMom
I've read that with the mRNA vaccines it will be relatively quick and easy to modify them to account for mutations.
Mormad
Btw, Davie, your interpretation of what you read and your application of your knowledge on this forum is really impressive to me given you don't have a formal medical background. Thanks for your informed, logical, reasonable, level headed input into this topic. I always enjoy your posts and find them hugely informative.
Mormad
PackMom said:

I've read that with the mRNA vaccines it will be relatively quick and easy to modify them to account for mutations.

I think mRNA technology is money, PackMom. I wish i had invested a few years ago when i learned about these companies and their research/ applications when we were fighting for my niece's life trying to find a cure for rare diseases. Really brilliant stuff. My sister is in deep with this stuff now and understands it better than i ever will, and there are some really interesting things happening.
Civilized
Mormad said:

Btw, Davie, your interpretation of what you read and your application of your knowledge on this forum is really impressive to me given you don't have a formal medical background. Thanks for your informed, logical, reasonable, level headed input into this topic. I always enjoy your posts and find them hugely informative.

Seconded. Thanks to Davie and Mormad and others!
PackPA2015
Researchers are concerned about the NY variant having the spike protein mutation. So far in 2 studies (not peer reviewed yet), it is showing vaccines and antibody treatments have less effectiveness against it. Also, in the article, as we all discussed earlier, Pfizer and Moderna are currently working on vaccine tweaks to better address the variants.

Another interesting point from this new variant is that they have created a computer system to rapidly go through virus samples from all over the U.S. looking for concentrations of new variants. This is the U.S. playing offense instead of defense. Great job by all involved on that front.

More Info on COVID Variants
RunsWithWolves26
I swear, every single time I think we are going in the right direction, something pops up that makes me think we will still be in 2020 mood well into 2022. I keep waiting to see the light at the end of the tunnel but it always seems to flicker out when something new pops up.
Mormad
Yep. Me too. But i do think we've made huge strides, and the variants right now are minor players that we saw coming and now have the knowledge to combat pretty effectively i would think. I still think we're gonna turn this thing into an acceptable and understood new viral syndrome. But it's kind of like a war we're starting to win. There will be battles along the way, but we're starting to understand our enemy a little better.
RunsWithWolves26
Thank you for that reasonable approach. I needed that! Just so frustrating to see things go so good and then to feel like we are gonna be right back to worrying about every little thing again and being locked down.
Mormad
I know. It's so frustrating.
packgrad
Sounds like the same methodology we use with the flu. New variants every year to account for with flu shot.
Mormad
packgrad said:

Sounds like the same methodology we use with the flu. New variants every year to account for with flu shot.

I have been thinking the same thing, my friend. But hopefully more effective with better technology and a lesser mutating virus??
PackMom
Saw on the news that FEMA is going to open a mass vaccination site at Four Seasons Mall in Greensboro. It will open March 10 and last eight weeks, providing up to 3000 vaccinations per day.
Packamylase
I'm expecting an annual Coronavirus vaccine much like the Flu vaccine.
Mormad
Nice!
RunsWithWolves26
If my math is right, that's 168,000 vaccines. That's a good number.
PackMom
That's in addition to NC's regular allocation, too, so even better.
Daviewolf83
Great news!! As expected, the J&J vaccine has been approved by the FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee. It is expected that vaccine doses should begin to arrive in NC starting next Wednesday.
Mormad
https://www.healio.com/news/primary-care/20210225/moderna-sends-variantspecific-vaccine-to-nih-for-clinical-study?utm_source=selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news&M_BT=37352048074
Mormad
https://www.sfgate.com/news/editor*****s/article/COVID-19-variants-vaccines-effective-San-Francisco-15961073.php

Here's a good interview for you to read, rww26
RunsWithWolves26
Good read.
Daviewolf83
Mormad said:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editor*****s/article/COVID-19-variants-vaccines-effective-San-Francisco-15961073.php

Here's a good interview for you to read, rww26
Excellent article. Thanks for posting Mormad. I thought a couple of things she said really registered with me with regards to Covid-19. These were around the importance of being outside and good ventilation, the over-emphasis on variants by the press, and the failure to consider "harm reduction" in applying broader harms to the policies enacted.
Mormad
Yep. Same thoughts i had when reading the interview.

She is an infectious disease doc in San Fran who has been in the forefront of HIV management, who has a particular interest in covid. I have read a good deal of her stuff. She reposts many of the covid studies/articles with her thoughts and interpretations. She has an extremely positive outlook of the near future of covid management and the effectiveness of vaccines. I hope she's right.
TheStorm
Waiting for the disagreement to arrive in 3... 2... 1...
Daviewolf83
Very similar to the article Mormad posted, the following article in The Atlantic takes a similar tone, even discussing the idea of "harm reduction." As I have mentioned in a couple of recent posts, the messaging by Dr. Fauci and others really needs to improve and this article makes a very similar case. I encourage you to read this one, along with the article Mormad posted.

How the Public-Health Messaging Backfired
RunsWithWolves26
Weekends like this, we try to be outside as much as possible. I know it can't hurt that's for sure.
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

Very similar to the article Mormad posted, the following article in The Atlantic takes a similar tone, even discussing the idea of "harm reduction." As I have mentioned in a couple of recent posts, the messaging by Dr. Fauci and others really needs to improve and this article makes a very similar case. I encourage you to read this one, along with the article Mormad posted.

How the Public-Health Messaging Backfired
The damage done by public health officials, politicians, and media is going to take years (maybe even decades, if ever) to unwind. (Not to mention social media).

The cult like absolutism of measures that were nothing more than theater while shaming anyone who tried to identify context or nuance was abhorrent.

When we should have been focused on risk balance and reasonable effective measures, while disposing those that were inconsequential as the situation evolved.

There were never simple answers and yet questions and questioners were branded as 'deniers'.

I guess, it is nice to see some voices finally start to speak up with some reasoned takes. But where the hell were they for the last year?
Mormad
Dr Gandhi, to her credit, has spoken up since early in the process. She mentions in the interview her dismay over other local scientists not voicing their opinions regarding harm reduction and the criticism she received by speaking out. There have been plenty of voices of reason since the beginning, but those voices were either 1. Chosen to not be heard, or 2. chosen to be deemed wrong (usually based on party lines, as she rightfully points out)
First Page Last Page
Page 229 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.