Coronavirus

2,001,426 Views | 19843 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Werewolf
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/02/01/science.abe8372/tab-pdf

article in science discussing age groups that may keep the pandemic surges going. Haven't finished reading it yet.
WPNfamily
Found out a few minutes ago my 11 yr old daughter is positive. She had sniffles for 2 days, that was her only symptom. Hey gymnastics team is all positive so she wanted to get tested. It will be interesting to see how my wife, 7 yr old, and I do.

I felt like I was walking in sand, heavy legged, on Monday. My morning workouts the past two days have been bananas good, I pr'd yesterday and again this morning on the peloton, but after I got off felt beat down, but I was going all out so I am not shocked. Hopefully this means I have it and it will be mild. We will see. Update to come.
Daviewolf83
Civilized said:

Interesting. Hospitalizations clearly took a sharp upward turn several weeks before Thanksgiving and they're a trailing indicator since it takes people several weeks to get sick enough to be hospitalized typically. So the dramatic rise in infections began a month or more prior to Thanksgiving.

Makes it look more like the fall and winter surge was mostly cold weather related rather than holiday related.

That bodes really well for the sudden and dramatic downturn we've seen over the last few weeks. Still cold, and people are still inside, but far fewer are getting seriously ill than a few weeks ago.
Definitely. So many wanted to blame the holidays, but they did not even look at the data to see how hospitalizations were increasing well in advance of the holidays. The holidays were likely a contributor to the growth, but they were not the only cause. The timing matches up very closely to the onset of cold weather in NC and mirrors the yearly increases (and decreases) we see with the flu. As the weather gets colder, people spend more time indoors and viruses love it when people are inside. As the heat comes on in houses and buildings, the air dries out and viruses love dry weather. This is why the flu follows a similar pattern every year and coincides with the onset of colder weather.
statefan91
Mormad said:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.29.21250653v1

Those with previous covid only need single dose of mRNA vax, and may still get up to 10x the antibody response compared to those fully vaxed but no previous infection.
Awesome - hopefully this becomes part of the CDC recommended approach. I've had it and currently have antibodies per the two plasma donations I've done. Wouldn't want to jump someone who is in line for vaccine but would like to get a dose to pair with antibodies to achieve the levels you mentioned. I"ll have to read it again to see if 1 shot is still as effective if you have gone outside of the period they think you have antibodies (3-6 months).
Daviewolf83
WPNfamily said:

Found out a few minutes ago my 11 yr old daughter is positive. She had sniffles for 2 days, that was her only symptom. Hey gymnastics team is all positive so she wanted to get tested. It will be interesting to see how my wife, 7 yr old, and I do.

I felt like I was walking in sand, heavy legged, on Monday. My morning workouts the past two days have been bananas good, I pr'd yesterday and again this morning on the peloton, but after I got off felt beat down, but I was going all out so I am not shocked. Hopefully this means I have it and it will be mild. We will see. Update to come.
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully your daughter will recover quickly and you and the rest of your family can avoid catching it.
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

Civilized said:

Interesting. Hospitalizations clearly took a sharp upward turn several weeks before Thanksgiving and they're a trailing indicator since it takes people several weeks to get sick enough to be hospitalized typically. So the dramatic rise in infections began a month or more prior to Thanksgiving.

Makes it look more like the fall and winter surge was mostly cold weather related rather than holiday related.

That bodes really well for the sudden and dramatic downturn we've seen over the last few weeks. Still cold, and people are still inside, but far fewer are getting seriously ill than a few weeks ago.
Definitely. So many wanted to blame the holidays, but they did not even look at the data to see how hospitalizations were increasing well in advance of the holidays. The holidays were likely a contributor to the growth, but they were not the only cause. The timing matches up very closely to the onset of cold weather in NC and mirrors the yearly increases (and decreases) we see with the flu. As the weather gets colder, people spend more time indoors and viruses love it when people are inside. As the heat comes on in houses and buildings, the air dries out and viruses love dry weather. This is why the flu follows a similar pattern every year and coincides with the onset of colder weather.

Look at the curves of the Plains states which started their seasonal curves earlier. Their peaks are actually BEFORE Thanksgiving and the holidays actually hit as the cases are decreasing. Regional variations in curves are significant.

While there could be nominal holiday effect, it is tough to tell with the data disruption and the inevitable false peaks that occur post holidays as tests/cases get deferred during the holidays.

*Complete side note. I am going to say it is a likely just an accounting error, but 5000 cases and 60 some odd deaths disappeared from Wake County's tracking site . Some of the deaths removed go all the way back to April. Now their site is complete crap in general and not super reliable (and I assume it will fix itself). But I just wanted to write this somewhere as a reference.
statefan91
Daily Vaccinations up to 1.3MM rolling average:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-trends

Have gone up about 500k/day in the last few weeks. Great to see supply continue to expand and get rolled out.
RunsWithWolves26
Great news. Just looked at this link and have a question. Is it just me or have the daily new cases seemed to be on a decline since around January 15th? Not sure if I am seeing that right or now.
statefan91
You're correct - looks like lowest cases since mid-November: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailytrendscases

Seems to track with what we're seeing in NC, although it doesn't look like we've gotten down to pre-Thanksgiving levels just yet. https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/cases
RunsWithWolves26
A decline no matter when is a decline I like! Hoping that continues because dangit, we need some relief!
ciscopack
Good news on the apparent decline of Covid-19; hopefully it continues. After tomorrow's totals; we'll know approximately the number of US deaths from the disease in 1 year. -

Autopsy reports from Santa Clara County in California have adjusted estimates of the first US fatality from COVID-19 by several weeks. The reports' findings, announced yesterday (April 21) by the Santa Clara County Department of Public Health, show that one of the county's residents died at home from COVID-19 on February 6, long before the first US fatality from the disease was reported near Seattle on February 29.
Daviewolf83
I do expect to see a little interruption in the daily increases in vaccinations, due to the recent snow storm that hit the Midwest and Northeast very hard. It appears they could get a second major storm next week. The data the CDC is posting is lagged data, so it likely does not fully reflect the impact of the storm yet.

I do expect those regions to catch back up after they "dig out" from the storms and can move around more easily. Overall, the growth in vaccination numbers is very encouraging. You can see the latest trends for the US and NC in the charts below. NC in particular is now doing a really good job. I think the large vaccination events are having an effect. This was highlighted weeks ago as a chief reason why Israel has done so much better than any other country in getting vaccine doses into arms.

The downside in NC is in Wake and Durham Counties (the second largest population area outside of Charlotte) have not had or announced any large-scale vaccination events. They have the facilities (PNC Arena/Carter Finley Stadium, etc), so it is disappointing this has not happened yet. This issue is getting some "play" in the media. There were reports in the past couple of days of residents of Wake County traveling to Johnson County to participate in their large vaccination events, since Wake County has had none.

US Vaccination Tracking (Bloomberg Vaccination Data):

NC Vaccination Tracking (Bloomberg Vaccination Data):

Daviewolf83
On the topic of schools reopening, the new head of the CDC, Dr. Rochelle Walensky came out very strongly yesterday with the opinion that public schools can reopen safely with the proper guidelines and protocols in place. She is now being attacked by teachers and teacher's unions for expressing her opinion on this topic. I emphasis public schools, since the majority of private schools in this state and nation are open and have been since the Fall.

Previously, Dr. Walensky was the chief infectious disease doctor for Massachusetts General Hospital and professor of medicine at Harvard University. I have a big problem with anyone who tries to say that she "has no idea what she's talking about."

Her advice is directly in step with the opinion expressed a couple of months ago by Dr. Ohl of Wake Forest Baptist Health. He is also an infectious disease doctor and I have included his comments in past posts on this topic. He has strongly suggested schools can reopen safely with policies of masking, washing hands, and spacing out students.
PackPA2015
I appreciate the large scale vaccination clinics, but I do have one issue with them. It has now hurt the rural areas, because of a lack of supply. For example, my grandmother aged 75+ with multiple chronic medical problems is 4-5 weeks out for her first dose. I have many elderly patients whom have been calling the health department constantly trying to get scheduled and cannot for many weeks.

May also have to do with the big school push. A lot of teachers/staff members whom are not necessarily 65+ and may not have many chronic medical problems have received their first dose. The health department has some balancing to do and I get that piece of the puzzle. Just wish we could do even more. Our local CVS and Walgreens have still not received their first shipment and have a waiting list 500 names strong so far. Local pharmacies have placed orders, but have not been given an estimated delivery date yet.

Not sure there is a great answer to that? NC only has so many doses to go around, but I think this contributes even further to healthcare disparity in rural areas.
statefan91
I don't think anyone < 65 unless a HCW should have gotten a shot yet based on NC's grouping, isn't that right?
PackPA2015
statefan91 said:

I don't think anyone < 65 unless a HCW should have gotten a shot yet based on NC's grouping, isn't that right?
Teachers are considered frontline workers, as are many other professions that have workers under 65. Plus, all of the health department's staff families have received the vaccine, which I think is distasteful at best. We have a lot of issues at our health department if you could not tell.
statefan91
PackPA2015 said:

statefan91 said:

Teachers are considered frontline workers, as are many other professions that have workers under 65. Plus, all of the health department's staff families have received the vaccine, which I think is distasteful at best. We have a lot of issues at our health department if you could not tell.
Got it - I didn't think frontline workers outside of HCW were in a group yet. I don't think they've opened up to grocery / retail / etc workers.

https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/vaccines/find-your-spot-take-your-shot
PackMom
Before they changed the priority list, essential workers were in the next group behind 75+ and the health care workers. There was something on the news about one county that had scheduled teachers during that time frame and were allowed to vaccinate them even though the priority list changed before the vaccination took place.

Edit: I think that's when they had 1a, 1b, and 1c.
PackPA2015
Yes, as PackMom said, I think they had frontlines along with elderly in one broad category. At least, that is what they were following in our county.
wilmwolf
My mom is having a very hard time finding the vaccine for my 95 year old grandmother in rural SE NC. The three surrounding counties have gotten limited numbers of vaccines, and when they do, the appointments fill up before my mom can finish filling out the online information. Hopefully with the Walgreens starting to do it in the near future it will help, but it's been frustrating. Even if they did a mass event, my grandmother can't wait in line for extended periods of time, so I'm not sure that would help her.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packgrad
I don't know if the one I did would qualify as a mass event, but it was definitely a large event. It was actually quite organized, geared toward the elderly, and you had a scheduled time to arrive. There was also a spaced out recovery area as well. I don't know though, maybe the mass events are first come first serve?
statefan91
The one at Carolina Panthers stadium last week was 65+; we sent my MIL with my FIL and she's a teacher and 64 but she wasn't able to sneak in for a vaccine
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

I appreciate the large scale vaccination clinics, but I do have one issue with them. It has now hurt the rural areas, because of a lack of supply. For example, my grandmother aged 75+ with multiple chronic medical problems is 4-5 weeks out for her first dose. I have many elderly patients whom have been calling the health department constantly trying to get scheduled and cannot for many weeks.

May also have to do with the big school push. A lot of teachers/staff members whom are not necessarily 65+ and may not have many chronic medical problems have received their first dose. The health department has some balancing to do and I get that piece of the puzzle. Just wish we could do even more. Our local CVS and Walgreens have still not received their first shipment and have a waiting list 500 names strong so far. Local pharmacies have placed orders, but have not been given an estimated delivery date yet.

Not sure there is a great answer to that? NC only has so many doses to go around, but I think this contributes even further to healthcare disparity in rural areas.
I do have the same concern. My father is 86, has a couple of severe preexisting conditions, and has not gotten his first vaccine. They have had a couple of large events in his county (Davie County which is a small, still somewhat rural county) and they were a mess. No appointment and people came from other counties and even other states. He did not go, since the lines were 4-5 hours long and he would need someone to take him and he would be with them in the car for that period of time. He only goes out to go to the doctor, but he does have a couple of people who come to his house daily to help him with meals and make sure he is doing okay. This is the biggest risk of exposure he faces.

The advantage of the large events is you can get a lot of doses in arms in a short period of time. Many of the sites are setup already for handling large amounts of people and traffic, so they do make sense. The issue is the shortage of vaccines means some counties get slighted. Supposedly, NCDHHS was supposed to be allocating doses to counties based on population, but I do not know if this has happened.
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

statefan91 said:

My wife is a director at a behavioral health agency (falls in Group 2) and she was just told she is eligible for the vaccine. She does not regularly see clients, so she is not planning to get it until it is time for her age group. We both have a big problem with anyone getting it that does not really need it.
Daviewolf83
wilmwolf80 said:

My mom is having a very hard time finding the vaccine for my 95 year old grandmother in rural SE NC. The three surrounding counties have gotten limited numbers of vaccines, and when they do, the appointments fill up before my mom can finish filling out the online information. Hopefully with the Walgreens starting to do it in the near future it will help, but it's been frustrating. Even if they did a mass event, my grandmother can't wait in line for extended periods of time, so I'm not sure that would help her.
Dealing with Walgreens now. You need to sign up for an online account to register with Walgreens. I am doing it for my father, since he is not able to see well enough to sign up.
Wayland
NC has now identified 35 total flu cases so far this season. No new cases identified this week.

ILI non existent.

CLI heading down.

https://files.nc.gov/covid/documents/dashboard/Weekly-COVID19-Surveillance.pdf
PackPA2015
It's been a big issue in our county and so frustrating from a providers point of view. We have aired our grievances with that, but to no avail.
curmudgeon.zen
Daviewolf83 said:

PackPA2015 said:

I do have the same concern. My father is 86, has a couple of severe preexisting conditions, and has not gotten his first vaccine. They have had a couple of large events in his county (Davie County which is a small, still somewhat rural county) and they were a mess. No appointment and people came from other counties and even other states. He did not go, since the lines were 4-5 hours long and he would need someone to take him and he would be with them in the car for that period of time. He only goes out to go to the doctor, but he does have a couple of people who come to his house daily to help him with meals and make sure he is doing okay. This is the biggest risk of exposure he faces.

The advantage of the large events is you can get a lot of doses in arms in a short period of time. Many of the sites are setup already for handling large amounts of people and traffic, so they do make sense. The issue is the shortage of vaccines means some counties get slighted. Supposedly, NCDHHS was supposed to be allocating doses to counties based on population, but I do not know if this has happened.
Davie, I am just down the road from you here in Rowan County. We had the same issue initially with large unorganized events that took several hours to get through. However, Rowan County has now gotten their s*** together (I can't believe I just typed that!!) and the process now is quite efficient and streamlined. It is by appointment only. The sign-up link on the page I am linking below goes live at 10am on Monday morning. I got on at 10am this past Monday morning and signed my Dad up...took maybe 30 seconds to sign up. He got his first shot today. He was at the vax site for less than 1 hour total. They have a good system in place for the second shots as well. No accounts to sign up for. Easy peezy.

Rowan Vax Sign-up
Log off. Go outside.
Daviewolf83
Good news!! Johnson and Johnson has submitted their vaccine to the FDA for emergency use authorization. This is the one-dose vaccine we have been anticipating. I expect approval by the end of February (based on the other two vaccine approval timelines) and shots should start going into arms in early March (assuming approval). Reports indicate that J&J should be able to deliver 100M doses by early June. This is the total amount the US is currently contracted to purchase.
WPNfamily
Rona update- the wife and the 7 year old tested positive today. So now the whole fam is positive minus myself. Thinking I will go get tested just so I would at least know for sure I should have some antibodies at some point.

7 yr old is worst off so far. She has fever and body aches.

12 year old and wife have only been sniffles so far.

I have to assume I am on deck at least...
packgrad
WPNfamily said:

Rona update- the wife and the 7 year old tested positive today. So now the whole fam is positive minus myself. Thinking I will go get tested just so I would at least know for sure I should have some antibodies at some point.

7 yr old is worst off so far. She has fever and body aches.

12 year old and wife have only been sniffles so far.

I have to assume I am on deck at least...

Yikes. Best of luck. Hope everyone's symptoms remain minimal.
statefan91
Hope all goes well. I would assume you will get it soon enough, once it's in a household it seems to spread, that's how it worked for my family too.
PackPA2015
Our inpatient numbers have dropped from averaging 240 to around 160 over the past 2 weeks. Following the national trend so far.

Locally, we interestingly had a slight increase in our 14 day positivity rate from 12.5% to 13% yesterday. This follows a precipitous drop from 21% over the past 2 weeks. Likely means nothing, but something we are monitoring.
WPNfamily
I worked out this morning like normal and felt great. I am thinking about getting tested today. I am hoping I will be asymptomatic and have the benefit of building antibodies.

Dumb question, asymptomatic will still build antibodies right?
Daviewolf83
WPNfamily said:

I worked out this morning like normal and felt great. I am thinking about getting tested today. I am hoping I will be asymptomatic and have the benefit of building antibodies.

Dumb question, asymptomatic will still build antibodies right?
Good to hear WPNfamily. Hopefully you do stay symptom free and the rest of your family recovers quickly.

By the way, your question is not dumb and is something I have wondered as well. I do recall reading something a couple of months ago that said even asymptomatic people could develop antibodies and T-cells, but I remember there being a question about how long-lasting the antibodies would be.

I assume more study is required, but hopefully PackPA or Mormad can provide a more solid answer to your question about antibodies.
First Page Last Page
Page 221 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.