Coronavirus

1,980,259 Views | 19754 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
ciscopack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldsouljer said:

ciscopack said:

Steve Williams said:

C'mon man, CNN has turned Fauci into their rock star. That's just reality. A year ago no one outside of the medical circle had a clue who this guy was and he gives every indication that he thrives in this new found attention. That's not to take away from any of his contributions as a whole. Just how I see it.
WRONG! You watching him on CNN, Steve?

From Dr. John I. Gallin in 2007...

The Fauci family pharmacy; Tony started delivering prescriptions when he was old enough to ride a bike. The family lived above the pharmacy.

In 1966, during the Vietnam War, he was called to serve. He left New York City for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to join what was affectionately called the "Yellow Berets". He served his military obligation in the Public Health Service at NIH. He was a Clinical Associate in the program of Sheldon M. Wolff, MD, the Chief of the Laboratory of Clinical Investigation and Clinical Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). It was during his fellowship at NIH that he completed his training in infectious diseases and in allergy/immunology and began his long, close clinical research partnership and friendship with Wolff.

He has earned the respect and trust of politicians on both sides of the aisle. He has advised every President from Ronald Reagan to the current Donald Trump. His knowledge, clarity, and frankness have made him so effective.

I would describe Tony Fauci as a realistic optimist. He demands perfection and that is good. He delegates authority and responsibility effectively. He is very sensitive and loyal to his staff. He can keep his mouth shut. He never tells a secret, ever. He is a fabulous doctor and his patients adore him. When he talks he knows what he is talking about. He is wise. He cares about all people. He knows the names of the janitors, elevator operators, and animal caretakers. They all love and respect Tony Fauci because he talks with them, never at them. Tony Fauci is the kind of person you know you can call upon whenever you have a need, no matter what that need is.

And where do all these wonderful traits come from? I believe they come from his strong upbringing that instilled the importance of family.

The AAP has made an incredible choice this year in selecting Anthony S. Fauci as their George M. Kober medalist. He is an exceptionally dedicated and talented physician, scientist, educator, administrator, spokesperson, politician, and advisor to our Congress and Presidents. His life's work will profoundly affect generations to come. He is, quite simply, an extraordinary man. It is for all these reasons that I am so honored that Tony Fauci asked me to introduce him as the 2007 Kober Medalist, the highest award of the Association. Please join me in saluting Anthony S. Fauci, MD, on the occasion of his receiving this very prestigious award.

George M. Kober Medal

The Kober Medal is awarded annually to a member of the Association of American Physicians upon the recommendation of Council. This award is given to an AAP member whose lifetime efforts have had an enormous impact on the field of Internal Medicine (or the specific member's discipline) through the scientific discipline they have brought to the field and the many outstanding scientists that they have trained. This award is given every year.

Introduction of Anthony S. Fauci, MD 2007 Association of American Physicians George M. Kober Medal

Awards and honors

Did I know Tony Fauci last year? Nope! It took less that 1 week on Trump's Medical Covid team for me to know, that is a guy I can trust! The dude bit his lip while trying to help Americans and turn DJT towards helping them too! If DJT had listened, over 100,000 Americans would not be dead who are and he'd be far more likely to be re-inaugurated on Jan. 20th?

I've known him by reputation for years from my time at NIH, and have formed an opinion that isn't particularly flattering. But sticking to hard facts, I'd really like to know more about the taxpayer dollars his organization funneled into the Wuhan virus lab.
Give us your synopsis oh great curator of infectious diseases. The man worked for Reagan, Bush, Bush, Trump, Clinton and Obama. Wonder why the Donald put him for the Task Force when he could have had infectious disease professional Scott Atlas (lmao)?

He's worked at NIH for 50+ years when he could have sought more money elsewhere.

NIH Director Francis Collins on Tony Fauci -

Tony Fauci has always had a flair for elaborate slide presentations, talking to reporters, and testifying before Congress. Now he's also a household name. What do you make of the referee-like role he's had in determinations about continued social distancing and President Trump's enthusiastic touting of certain untested treatments for Covid-19?

Tony is a complete model of what you want to see in a public servant. He is dedicated, he's incredibly smart and knowledgeable. He is both a fantastic scientist and a very experienced physician who personally took care of Ebola patients when we had them in our hospital just four or five years ago.

And he is incapable of actually doing anything except speaking truth. He has a lot of truth to offer, and he speaks it in a careful, diplomatic way. He's also not somebody who will slip into demonizing anybody, or throwing mud back at people who are throwing mud at him, he's just gonna be what you want to have in the room when an important decision is being made, who can tell you: Here are the facts, here are the consequences if you do A or you do B.

I consider it a great privilege indeed to have him as a friend, as a colleague, as a remarkable leader of infectious disease at NIH, probably the most highly respected infectious disease researcher in the world.

There are only two people in the federal government who technically have the authority to fire Dr. Fauci as director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Last week, when the president retweeted a post that included the "Fire Fauci" hashtag, were you worried you'd have an impossible decision on your hands?

I didn't actually think that was likely to happen, so no I don't think I was worried. And certainly nobody reached out to me at that point.

I figured as much, and I don't take you for someone who spends much of his day scrolling Twitter.

No, you're quite right about that. Tony and I have a phone conversation every evening, sometime between 8 and 10 p.m., just to be sure that we're completely in lockstep about all the things we're trying to do with research. I don't think we ever talked about that tweet.

statefan91
Quick update on me and family:

- No change in symptoms; I did a 45 min peloton workout today with no ill effects
- Wife and kids seem fine. Wife has lost taste + smell and feels a little more tired but nothing else. Hasn't sidelined her so far
- I am actually at my 10 day mark tomorrow, so as of Sunday I'm out of quarantine and considered recovered; hoping no symptoms pop up before then
ciscopack
statefan91 said:

- No change in symptoms; I did a 45 min peloton workout today with no ill effects
- Wife and kids seem fine. Wife has lost taste + smell and feels a little more tired but nothing else. Hasn't sidelined her so far
- I am actually at my 10 day mark tomorrow, so as of Sunday I'm out of quarantine and considered recovered; hoping no symptoms pop up before then
Very nice; best of luck to the family! My 1st cousin (once removed) mother in Wake Forest just got diagnosed with it.

Civilized
statefan91 said:

Excellent!
wilmwolf
I don't have much quarrel with Fauci. I thought what he said about changing his estimates to try and sway public opinion was a dangerous thing to say, but whatever. The fact is, he is a enjoying some bit of celebrity right now because he's frequently found himself at odds with the president. If he was agreeing with him all the time, there would be a different narrative. Let's be real here.
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

Thanks for the update brother. Good to see some good news on this thread.
Mormad
pineknollshoresking said:

I keep coming back to your example, because that sucks for that young nurse. I know this too shall pass, but nobody should have to deal with that. I keep thinking it's Duke, but that's just my bias. Seems you know the nurse... Hope things change for him/her.
ciscopack
WASHINGTON -- Republican Sen. Mitt Romney on Friday warned the process of distributing vaccines is "falling behind" in a statement blasting the plan for getting Americans vaccinated, as the critical vaccination roll out process lags.

"That comprehensive vaccination plans have not been developed at the federal level and sent to the states as models is as incomprehensible as it is inexcusable," Romney, who represents Utah, said in a statement Friday.

Romney said the plan to rely on hospitals and pharmacies that are already overburdened was "unrealistic."

Romney's statement comes as the federal government's Operation Warp Speed had promised that 20 million doses would be administered before January 1. Yet data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from earlier this week shows that just over 12.4 million doses have been distributed, and only 2.79 million have actually been administered.

"The rapid development of COVID-19 vaccines is a tribute to the NIH, the FDA and to the professionals in the pharmaceutical industry. But unlike the development of the vaccines, the vaccination process itself is falling behind. It was unrealistic to assume that the health care workers already overburdened with Covid care could take on a massive vaccination program," Romney said.

"So too is the claim that CVS and Walgreens will save the day: they don't have excess personnel available to inoculate millions of Americans. Nor are they equipped to deal with the rare but serious reactions which may occur. Doctor offices are well-suited but the rate of patient throughput in doctor offices is predictably slow," Romney said.

He added, "When something isn't working, you need to acknowledge reality and develop a plan-particularly when hundreds of thousands of lives are at stake."

Romney urged leaders to "call on people who have carried out widespread vaccination programs elsewhere or in the past" for guidance and suggested using retired medical workers and others to set up vaccination sites at schools, as one possible solution.

He said despite that fact that this stage of the plan targets those easiest to vaccinate the program is "woefully behind."

"Urgent action now can help us catch up," Romney said.

PackMom
Y'all be extra careful. Heard on the radio that the new more-contagious version was found in Florida. Lots (relatively) of NC people were probably down there this weekend and might bring it back. NC has enough trouble already.
caryking
ciscopack said:

WASHINGTON -- Republican Sen. Mitt Romney on Friday warned the process of distributing vaccines is "falling behind" in a statement blasting the plan for getting Americans vaccinated, as the critical vaccination roll out process lags.

"That comprehensive vaccination plans have not been developed at the federal level and sent to the states as models is as incomprehensible as it is inexcusable," Romney, who represents Utah, said in a statement Friday.

Romney said the plan to rely on hospitals and pharmacies that are already overburdened was "unrealistic."

Romney's statement comes as the federal government's Operation Warp Speed had promised that 20 million doses would be administered before January 1. Yet data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from earlier this week shows that just over 12.4 million doses have been distributed, and only 2.79 million have actually been administered.

"The rapid development of COVID-19 vaccines is a tribute to the NIH, the FDA and to the professionals in the pharmaceutical industry. But unlike the development of the vaccines, the vaccination process itself is falling behind. It was unrealistic to assume that the health care workers already overburdened with Covid care could take on a massive vaccination program," Romney said.

"So too is the claim that CVS and Walgreens will save the day: they don't have excess personnel available to inoculate millions of Americans. Nor are they equipped to deal with the rare but serious reactions which may occur. Doctor offices are well-suited but the rate of patient throughput in doctor offices is predictably slow," Romney said.

He added, "When something isn't working, you need to acknowledge reality and develop a plan-particularly when hundreds of thousands of lives are at stake."

Romney urged leaders to "call on people who have carried out widespread vaccination programs elsewhere or in the past" for guidance and suggested using retired medical workers and others to set up vaccination sites at schools, as one possible solution.

He said despite that fact that this stage of the plan targets those easiest to vaccinate the program is "woefully behind."

"Urgent action now can help us catch up," Romney said.

Romney is a flame thrower. If I were making these decisions, I would come up with a plan that gets the vaccines to a state end-point and have states pick up the final delivery to the administering locations.

Why should this be a federal response? It's time for State representative to quit the complaining and be responsible for their own State.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
statefan91
I don't think it's a Federal response - States are getting doses and then recommendations from CDC on how to prioritize. I think any failings of getting them into the arms of people falls on the State. The only thing fromFed I think they're looking for is additional funding support for roll out.
Daviewolf83
Some updates on the Coronavirus vaccine distribution (Federal government's responsibility) and vaccinations (state government's responsibility):

US Vaccines Distributed: 13,071,925 doses
US Vaccines Administered: 4,225,796 vaccinations (32.8% of available doses used) <== vaccinations started 12/14

NC Vaccines Available: 330,125 doses
NC Vaccines Administered: 94,865 vaccinations (28.7% of available doses used)

So, NC is lagging behind the US's overall performance on the administration of doses to the public. The top 10 states with regards to the percentage of available doses administered are:

South Dakota (69.1%)
Connecticut (64.6%)
North Dakota (63.6%)
Maine (60.5%)
Ohio (52.3%)
Vermont (51.6%)
Tennessee (50.7%)
Iowa (50.4%)
Montana (49.7%)
West Virginia (48.2%)

I excluded District of Columbia (66.4%) and Northern Marianas (48.4%)

The data source I am using is Bloomberg and you can find the full data tracker at the link below:

Bloomberg Covid Vaccine Data Tracker

wilmwolf
Color me shocked that we're behind. Guess the big bad federal government is only holding some states back.
ciscopack
Covid-19 Live News: U.S. Air Travel Hits Pandemic High, Adding to Fears of Yet More Case Surges and the New Variant

With the coronavirus raging in many parts of the country and hospitals dangerously overstretched, public health officials warned on Sunday that more calamitous days may be ahead, as infections tied to holiday gatherings fuel a fresh spate of illness and death.

"It's terrible, it's unfortunate, but it was predictable," Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, said on "Meet the Press."
With 34 days to go to get to the 1 year point (Feb. 6, 2020 in CA) Covid-19 death in US,

The Latest: US virus death toll hits 350,000; surge feared

Autopsy reports from Santa Clara County in California have adjusted estimates of the first US fatality from COVID-19 by several weeks. The reports' findings, announced yesterday (April 21) by the Santa Clara County Department of Public Health, show that one of the county's residents died at home from COVID-19 on February 6long before the first US fatality from the disease was reported near Seattle on February 29.
caryking
statefan91 said:

I don't think it's a Federal response - States are getting doses and then recommendations from CDC on how to prioritize. I think any failings of getting them into the arms of people falls on the State. The only thing fromFed I think they're looking for is additional funding support for roll out.
So, what is Romney complaining about? Cisco's article is speaking about the War Speed program
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Daviewolf83
Some vaccination updates from the weekend:

- Dr. Fauci said on ABC's "This Week" news program that he expects that by the end of January, the US will be vaccinating 1M people per day. This would be a doubling of the rate experienced over the last 72 hours.

- Connecticut is on track to finish vaccinating (both doses) an estimated 22,000 nursing home residents and an estimated 210,000 frontline health care and emergency medical workers by the end of January. They are tracking to complete the first round of vaccinations at all nursing homes by the end of this week. They are only 20K vaccinations behind New Jersey, even though Connecticut is half the size.

- New Hampshire is ramping up vaccination sites and will have about 13 sites statewide. Each site will be capable of doing 100 vaccinations per hour.

- West Virginia, one of the poorest and most rural states, is expected to complete its first round of vaccinations of staff and residents at all their long-term care facilities by the end of today (214 facilities). West Virginia is beating NY and California on a per capita basis with their vaccinations.

- In NY, it is being reported that the long-standing and tested mass-vaccination plans that have been in place for years are being pushed aside by Governor Cuomo's administration. The long-standing plans called for local health departments to be responsible for vaccinations, but Gov. Cuomo's plan places a heavy reliance on hospitals. You can read more about it here: NY's mass-vaccination plans are shelved

- Florida has begun vaccinating people from the general population who are 65+. This is an expansion of the plans to vaccinate front-line healthcare workers and long-term care staff and residents. Just this weekend, they vaccinated 500 Escambia County residents in a pilot program they plan to rollout across the state. In Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg, the vaccine will be made made available to people 65+ starting this week.

- In NC, the news on vaccinations is sparse, but it has been reported that Wake County has given out the most vaccines with a total of 7,767 vaccine doses being given from 12/14 to 12/28. NC is in Phase 1a of the rollout plan. NCDHHS should be updating their official vaccination numbers later today and based on info from the Bloomberg Data Tracker, NC should be in excess of 95,000 vaccinations.
wilmwolf
Personal anecdote, my cousin, an oncology nurse in the W-S area, received her first dose of the vaccine a week ago. She developed some symptoms associated with covid, mainly a headache that wouldn't go away and whole body aches, and now apparently has shingles. Her doctors are unsure if all these things are related, but they are running some more tests before they approve her to take the second dose.
Daviewolf83
The CDC just updated their Vaccine Data Tracker. They show the following:

US:
Vaccine Doses Distributed: 15,418,500
Vaccine Doses Administered: 4,563,260
% of Available Doses Administered: 29.6%

NC:
Vaccine Doses Distributed: 395,100
Vaccine Doses Administered: 101,351
% of Available Doses Administered: 25.7%

Reference: CDC Vaccine Data Tracker
AlleyPack
Are all the U.S.-administered vaccines still the Pfizer one?
Have any of the others rolled out yet?
Daviewolf83
An update on the Moderna vaccine. Reportedly, the FDA will consider cutting the dose requirements for the vaccine in half. People would still need to get two shots, but each shot would be half the dosage of the one currently being administered. According to the reports, the efficacy is nearly the same as the full dose process and will serve to significantly increase supply.

Read more on this development at the following link:

US May Cut Some Vaccine Doses In Half
Daviewolf83
AlleyPack said:

Are all the U.S.-administered vaccines still the Pfizer one?
Have any of the others rolled out yet?
No. Moderna is also being widely distributed and is targeted to rural areas. My father has been told this is the version he can expect to receive in a few weeks in his rural county. Like the Pfizer vaccine, it is also a two-shot version.

The first one shot version that may be approved is the Johnson and Johnson vaccine that is close to finishing Phase 3 trial.
PackMom
wilmwolf80 said:

Personal anecdote, my cousin, an oncology nurse in the W-S area, received her first dose of the vaccine a week ago. She developed some symptoms associated with covid, mainly a headache that wouldn't go away and whole body aches, and now apparently has shingles. Her doctors are unsure if all these things are related, but they are running some more tests before they approve her to take the second dose.
Wow. Which vaccine did she get? Hope she recovers quickly. Do you know if she had had the shingles vaccine?

P. S. Oncology nurses are angels.
wilmwolf
I believe she received the Pfizer one, and I'm unsure if she's had the shingles vaccine.
Steve Williams
Staff
wilmwolf80 said:

I believe she received the Pfizer one, and I'm unsure if she's had the shingles vaccine.
That shingles vaccine ain't no joke
Oldsouljer
Steve Williams said:

wilmwolf80 said:

That shingles vaccine ain't no Joke.
It does hurt a little.
PackMom
When my husband and I got the shingles vaccine neither one of us had much reaction - maybe a little arm soreness. Hope it works anyway.
wilmwolf
My business partner's 94 year old mother received her first covid vaccine shot yesterday at an assisted care facility here in Wilmington.
PackPA2015
Our local health department just announced they are starting into Phase 1B with giving vaccinations to all folks 75 years and older. Unfortunately, they do not have enough shots for all healthcare/frontline workers and the elderly, but it is a start at least.
statefan91
Charlotte is also starting 75+ age vaccines: https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/mecklenburg-county-ready-to-give-covid-19-vaccines-to-adults-75-or-older/275-be4dd459-6d73-45c6-8c42-dabbb496ffe5

Daviewolf83
statefan91 said:

Charlotte is also starting 75+ age vaccines: https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/mecklenburg-county-ready-to-give-covid-19-vaccines-to-adults-75-or-older/275-be4dd459-6d73-45c6-8c42-dabbb496ffe5

Wake County announced that they will likely not start Phase 1B until next week at the earliest, due to vaccine supply constraints. The article I read said that due to the larger number of healthcare workers in Wake County that needed to be vaccinated, the supply for the general public was limited. They believe they should have enough new supply coming to allow Phase 1B to start next week.
RunsWithWolves26
Statefan, how are you guys doing?
statefan91
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Thanks for asking! I'm out of quarantine and my wife and kids feel fine for the most part, they're out of quarantine on Thursday.

The mother of the person who likely spread it to all of us is not doing great. She's relatively young (probably about 60) but has at home oxygen and someone coming to check on her currently. They're close to hospitalizing unless she starts improving. Blood oxygen has been lower than they'd like for about a week now.
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Thanks for asking! I'm out of quarantine and my wife and kids feel fine for the most part, they're out of quarantine on Thursday.

The mother of the person who likely spread it to all of us is not doing great. She's relatively young (probably about 60) but has at home oxygen and someone coming to check on her currently. They're close to hospitalizing unless she starts improving. Blood oxygen has been lower than they'd like for about a week now.

Glad to hear y'all are doing better. Will pray for the mother of the person who gave it to yall
statefan91
Thank you - I can't imagine how our friend feels that they gave it to the mom so hoping for a quick and full recovery.
Daviewolf83
NCDHHS updated the vaccination numbers today. Here are the latest (slight increase from CDC update yesterday):

Vaccine Doses Distributed: 395,100
Vaccine Doses Administered: 110,260 (1st dose=109,799 : 2nd dose=461)
% of Available Doses Administered: 27.9% (2.2% increase from yesterday's CDC update)

Race Distribution:
Native American = 1%
Asian = 6% (down from 7%)
African-American = 10% (up from 8%)
White = 80%

Age Distribution:
0-17 = 0%
18-24 = 4%
25- 49 = 57% (down from 60%)
50-64 = 31%
65-74 = 6% (up from 5%)
75+ = 2% (up from 1%)

Sex:
Female = 67% (up from 65%)
Male = 33% (down from 34%)

First Page Last Page
Page 208 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.