Coronavirus

2,000,724 Views | 19842 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by Werewolf
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My younger daughter's school has now been in person every day for what, a month? Wearing masks, and the school did a great job spreading the kids out as best they could. 800 kids pre-school to high school, And no positive cases except the one high schooler who had it day one. It can be done, and done safely with a little effort and sense, i think.
Daviewolf83
Mormad said:

My younger daughter's school has now been in person every day for what, a month? Wearing masks, and the school did a great job spreading the kids out as best they could. 800 kids pre-school to high school, And no positive cases except the one high schooler who had it day one. It can be done, and done safely with a little effort and sense, i think.
This is great to hear. I definitely agree it can be done with planning and cooperation of the students and their families.

I have friends who are an administrator and teacher at a large private school in Raleigh (not the one my son attended). They have over 1,200 students (preK-12 grade) who have been back in school for about a month. They have had a handful of cases and all of those have been students who became infected with the virus away from school. So far, they have not had any known transmission on campus. Some students chose to do on-line, but the vast majority of the students are in class every day. They are not doing reduced classes. They also have several sports underway and football games are planned to start in October.
Mormad
Wayland said:

And here we get to the problem of false positives. Other Coronaviruses setting off tests.

EDIT: Apparently there is another coronavirus from a German study that was setting of false positives 7% of the time.

All of this isn't an issue when you are using tests rationally. But when every false positive is used as a cause to shut down schools and businesses, you need to be diligent.

Political implications aside, what do you worry would have a bigger impact on society (not individual), false positives or false negatives? What is the current FP and FN rates of the most commonly used tests? Maybe Davie can help here with the analysis, but using those rates, if an asymptomatic individual tests positive one day, and negative the 2 subsequent days, what's the likelihood the person is actually positive?

I think i know that answer to the first, but I'm not sure of the other questions but i have been thinking about it. Thanks for your and Davie's thoughts about it.
Wayland
Mormad said:

Wayland said:

And here we get to the problem of false positives. Other Coronaviruses setting off tests.

EDIT: Apparently there is another coronavirus from a German study that was setting of false positives 7% of the time.

All of this isn't an issue when you are using tests rationally. But when every false positive is used as a cause to shut down schools and businesses, you need to be diligent.

Political implications aside, what do you worry would have a bigger impact on society (not individual), false positives or false negatives? What is the current FP and FN rates of the most commonly used tests? Maybe Davie can help here with the analysis, but using those rates, if an asymptomatic individual tests positive one day, and negative the 2 subsequent days, what's the likelihood the person is actually positive?

I think i know that answer to the first, but I'm not sure of the other questions but i have been thinking about it. Thanks for your and Davie's thoughts about it.

I would have to qualify my answer with "It depends"

The lower the community spread the higher the impact of false positives is especially WHEN you take unreasonable actions and overreact to the point you are closing businesses and schools over a single test.

If someone is FN and asymptomatic, not worried.

It is the secondary actions of actions of the FP that is the problem. When we are in the quick growth stage of the pandemic, maybe we can accept a few FPs. The lower the overall actual REAL number of infections out there, the higher percent of the detected cases are FPs. And again, the problem isn't the FP, it is the gross overreaction to a positive PCR test.

If someone tests positive one day, and then even has only 1 negative test the next day, given the over-sensitivity of PCR testing, I would consider the person non-infectious. The ramp up is pretty quick once positive and for someone to test negative AFTER testing positive and still be infectious would be a pretty remote chance. And I would be comfortable with that assessment with either PCR or paper antigen tests.

The problem again with 'positive', for these arguments 'positive' means HAS COVID19 and is INFECTIOUS.

False positives could be lab error, detection of other corona virus, or detection of past infection (so technically positive but no longer infectious).

There is some value to determining that someone MAY have had COVID19 in the past, but we shouldn't be treating a past infection as an ACTIVE case when detected.

I would love for the media to ask questions on what the false positive rate actually is, or do some similar studies that they are doing in Europe and detecting 3-7% false positive rates when other coronaviruses are mixed into samples.

Which is why we need to be going to the 'less sensitive' tests.
Civilized
Mormad said:

...with a little effort and sense [and room to spread out/distance while at school], right?

How many kids are in your little gal's classroom(s)?

That's the tough part about space-constrained public schools - how do you spread out enough to meaningfully limit contact points throughout the day when you have classes with 25-30 kids in them?

Population density in buildings matters. This is where many private schools have a big leg up on public in terms of going back to in-person learning.

On top of physical spacing, you have the classroom management. Easier to manage kids' mask-wearing and distancing when there are fewer kids in each classroom to manage.

Watching my wife try to wrangle 3rd grade science students on Google Classroom makes me skeptical that masking and distancing protocols can be implemented so that they are achievable and relatively enforceable in person in public schools.

The saving grace for the little ones may simply be they seem to be bad vectors for this disease so it doesn't take perfect adoption of protocols to keep them safe and limit community spread stemming from a return to schools.
Wayland
Civilized said:

Mormad said:

The saving grace for the little ones may simply be they seem to be bad vectors for this disease so it doesn't take perfect adoption of protocols to keep them safe and limit community spread stemming from a return to schools.
This.

Even the WaPo is figuring out what has been seen empirically around the world for months now.

Schools can return. "....and the rates of infection are far below what is found in the surrounding communities."

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4WgWZxdadvkJ:https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/feared-covid-outbreaks-in-schools-yet-to-arrive-early-data-shows/2020/09/23/0509bb84-fd22-11ea-b555-4d71a9254f4b_story.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Wolfblood
Do you know if Wake and other ACC schools are using PCR testing or have they been able to get access to the newer test the government recently purchased?

After reading the NYT article a few weeks ago about the unreliability of the PCR testing that has been used so far gives me pause on any accurate testing information using these tests.
Mormad
Civilized said:

Mormad said:

...with a little effort and sense [and room to spread out/distance while at school], right?

How many kids are in your little gal's classroom(s)?

That's the tough part about space-constrained public schools - how do you spread out enough to meaningfully limit contact points throughout the day when you have classes with 25-30 kids in them?

Population density in buildings matters. This is where many private schools have a big leg up on public in terms of going back to in-person learning.

On top of physical spacing, you have the classroom management. Easier to manage kids' mask-wearing and distancing when there are fewer kids in each classroom to manage.

Watching my wife try to wrangle 3rd grade science students on Google Classroom makes me skeptical that masking and distancing protocols can be implemented so that they are achievable and relatively enforceable in person in public schools.

Yes, great point. I should have said, she goes to a medium sized private school. MUCH easier to implement in that environment. Public school, not so much. My point was actually broader...i think it's just "proof" that we can open up more around us if we use precautions.
Wayland
FlossyDFlynt
Mormad
Wayland said:

Mormad said:

Wayland said:

The lower the community spread the higher the impact of false positives is especially WHEN you take unreasonable actions and overreact to the point you are closing businesses and schools over a single test.

It is the secondary actions of actions of the FP that is the problem. When we are in the quick growth stage of the pandemic, maybe we can accept a few FPs. The lower the overall actual REAL number of infections out there, the higher percent of the detected cases are FPs. And again, the problem isn't the FP, it is the gross overreaction to a positive PCR test.

If someone tests positive one day, and then even has only 1 negative test the next day, given the over-sensitivity of PCR testing, I would consider the person non-infectious. The ramp up is pretty quick once positive and for someone to test negative AFTER testing positive and still be infectious would be a pretty remote chance. And I would be comfortable with that assessment with either PCR or paper antigen tests.

The problem again with 'positive', for these arguments 'positive' means HAS COVID19 and is INFECTIOUS.

False positives could be lab error, detection of other corona virus, or detection of past infection (so technically positive but no longer infectious).

There is some value to determining that someone MAY have had COVID19 in the past, but we shouldn't be treating a past infection as an ACTIVE case when detected.

I would love for the media to ask questions on what the false positive rate actually is, or do some similar studies that they are doing in Europe and detecting 3-7% false positive rates when other coronaviruses are mixed into samples.

That's an interesting take. Honestly, i only agree with the overreaction part i think.

Again, for societal health and defeating a pandemic:

1. I definitely don't want less sensitive tests, and therefore more false negatives just so the numbers look better, but falsely so.

2. I worry about the asymptomatic FNs as they can be speaders and not know it. FPs suck for the individual because he'll take unnecessary precautions, but there's less societal impact. FNs suck for the society, because those felt to be negative are cruising around feeling free to spread.

3. If a test has a 3-7% FP rate, then it's pretty specific, not overly sensitive. If it says you have the disease, you most likely have the disease. If a test has a 30% FN rate, then it's not overly sensitive. If it says you don't have the disease, there's still a reasonable chance you have the disease.

So given that the pcr tests are specific (low FPs,5%) and not really sensitive for various reasons (high false negatives, maybe 30%), i think that a person who tests positive one day (95% chance they ARE positive) and negative the next (70% chance they're actually negative) more likely has the disease. The question is, if they test negative twice, does 95% confidence still trump 2 negatives with 70% confidence? Idk... Davie may have to use statistics there.

Anyway. That's what I've been thinking, which seems opposite of you. Who knows, brother? Again, may just be differing 30,000 foot views.
Wayland
Mormad said:

Wayland said:

Mormad said:

Wayland said:

That's an interesting take. Honestly, i only agree with the overreaction part i think.

Again, for societal health and defeating a pandemic:

1. I definitely don't want less sensitive tests, and therefore more false negatives just so the numbers look better, but falsely so.

2. I worry about the asymptomatic FNs as they can be speaders and not know it. FPs suck for the individual because he'll take unnecessary precautions, but there's less societal impact. FNs suck for the society, because those felt to be negative are cruising around feeling free to spread.

3. If a test has a 3-7% FP rate, then it's pretty specific, not overly sensitive. If it says you have the disease, you most likely have the disease. If a test has a 30% FN rate, then it's not overly sensitive. If it says you don't have the disease, there's still a reasonable chance you have the disease.

So given that the pcr tests are specific (low FPs,5%) and not really sensitive for various reasons (high false negatives, maybe 30%), i think that a person who tests positive one day (95% chance they ARE positive) and negative the next (70% chance they're actually negative) more likely has the disease. The question is, if they test negative twice, does 95% confidence still trump 2 negatives with 70% confidence? Idk... Davie may have to use statistics there.

Anyway. That's what I've been thinking, which seems opposite of you. Who knows, brother? Again, may just be differing 30,000 foot views.
I think you have a little bit of a misinterpretation of what I said, likely because I didn't say it well.

The whole point is preventing outbreaks. We want to catch 'connectors' before they spread the virus because once all the connecting bridges are burned, it is a lot harder to spread.

If there is some diagnostic reason to be able to detect that someone had COVID sometime in the past 3 months, I don't care how much amplification you run the PCR test through. If you have a purpose, amplify away.

For the purposes of controlling spread, isolating an already non-infectious person makes no sense. So why do we care (outside the hospital/medical environment for treatment) if at some point in the past they had COVID?

We want to know if they are ACTUALLY INFECTIOUS right now. Which is why I say you go with the 'less sensitive' test that is only catching cases where there is enough virus to actually spread it.

The amount of time where the virus can be detected on the front end of the infection with PCR before someone is infectious is very short, so by the time you catch it with the PCR they would already be identified with a less sensitive test. The 'less sensitive' test would then NOT detect the long tail where the person is well past the infectious stage.

I can't vouch for the correctness of the science in this video, but the theory is great. Starting around the 5 minute mark.

Edit to add: The 3-7% is only in the specific presence of other coronaviruses. So if you did have something else circulating, it may be flagged. So you might want to be aware of what else might be active in the community. Not saying the OVERALL FP rate is that high... but if there are other active viruses in your community it COULD skew numbers. These are things that should be considered.

Mormad
That was really great. And makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing that.
82TxPackFan
FlossyDFlynt said:

Wonder how the school board got to 7.5 weeks for moving back to the classroom? I would assume that the plans are already in place since the original goal was for students to be in the classroom in late August.

Must just be a coincidence that the selected date falls a few weeks after the election.
Wayland
Civilized
Phase re-entry starts October 26, not "a few weeks after the election."

Everything's not a political conspiracy.
Wayland
Civilized said:

Phase re-entry starts October 26, not "a few weeks after the election."

Everything's not a political conspiracy.

I believe that is due to the date of the new quarter. Basically predetermined when Wake said they were all remote for Q1.
ciscopack
I saw an infectious disease doctor (can't remember his name) a couple days ago, say the first vaccines that came out will not keep people from getting Covid-19. He said the first vaccines will reduce the seriousness of the disease should you get it. I guess that is so for a lot of vaccines.
Civilized
Are you sure he meant on an individual level, and not simply that the first few vaccines would not totally eradicate the disease from the population?

Daviewolf83
ciscopack said:

I saw an infectious disease doctor (can't remember his name) a couple days ago, say the first vaccines that came out will not keep people from getting Covid-19. He said the first vaccines will reduce the seriousness of the disease should you get it. I guess that is so for a lot of vaccines.
I would be curious to know who this doctor is and to read what he said. I did find an interesting paper in The Lancet regarding the Covid vaccines and the potential that they will provide immunity. I have provided the link below for others to read. It does discuss the question of efficacy and the thresholds required for the vaccines to gain approval. The efficacy does not need to be 100% for approval and this may be what the doctor was referring to. It has been assumed most vaccines will only be 50-70% effective in reducing the spread of the virus, given the expected efficacy and the fact many people will chose not to get the vaccine.

You can read the full paper in The Lancet here: What can we expect from the first-generation COVID-19 vaccines?
Wayland
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Quote:

9/10/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
928 <- 90% reporting (was 916 at 86%)
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1544 Deaths are now Congregate (+13)
484 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+3)
+32 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

962 Deaths assumed General Population (+16)
2028 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+16)

353 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+9)
Nursing Homes 192 -> 199
Resident Care 101 -> 103
Correctional 43 -> 41
Other 8 -> 10
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1222 positive cases over 31726* new tests. 3.9% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 31726 but DHHS claims only 26277 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/10
9/9(2), 9/8(5), 9/7(9), 9/6(6), 9/5(5), 9/4(4), 9/3, 8/30, 8/28, 7/20

2 missing Dates of Death assigned dates.
1 death removed on 9/1
9/11/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
938 <- 93% reporting (was 928 at 90%)
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1564 Deaths are now Congregate (+20)
484 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+0)
+33 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

975 Deaths assumed General Population (+13)
2048 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+20)

357 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+4)
Nursing Homes 199 -> 205
Resident Care 103 -> 105
Correctional 41 -> 37
Other 10 -> 10
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1532 positive cases over 36815* new tests. 4.2% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 36815 but DHHS claims only 30056 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/11
9/10(10), 9/9(6). 9/8(4). 9/7(3), 9/6, 9/5, 9/4(2), 9/1, 8/30, 8/26, 8/17(2), 8/6, 8/3, 7/7

2 DoD previously missing assigned dates.
9/12/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
870 <- 95% reporting (was 938 at 93%)
Completed Tests

1578 Deaths are now Congregate (+14)
485 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+1)
+24 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

984 Deaths assumed General Population (+9)
2063 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+15)

357 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+0)
Nursing Homes 205 -> 209
Resident Care 105 -> 101
Correctional 37 -> 37
Other 10 -> 10

1454 positive cases over 22478* new tests. 6.5% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 22478 but DHHS claims only 17717 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/12
9/11(2), 9/10(7), 9/9(3), 9/8, 9/7(2), 9/3(3), 8/30, 8/21

4 deaths added missing DoD.
9/13/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
831 <- 91% reporting (was 870 at 95%)
Completed Tests

1581 Deaths are now Congregate (+3)
485 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+0)
+5 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

986 Deaths assumed General Population (+2)
2066 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+3)

358 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+1)
Nursing Homes 209 -> 210
Resident Care 101 -> 101
Correctional 37 -> 37
Other 10 -> 10

1196 positive cases over 34976* new tests. 3.4% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 34976 but DHHS claims only 19632 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/13
9/12, 9/11(4)

DHHS TESTING % POSITIVE FOR TODAY 4.9%
9/14/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
895 <- 92% reporting (was 831 at 91%)
Completed Tests

1587 Deaths are now Congregate (+6)
486 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+1)
+8 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

987 Deaths assumed General Population (+1)
2073 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+7)

350 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (-8)
Nursing Homes 210 -> 208
Resident Care 101 -> 97
Correctional 37 -> 35
Other 10 -> 10

845 positive cases over 18711* new tests. 4.5% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 18711 but DHHS claims only 13313 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/14
9/13, 9/12(3), 9/11, 9/10, 9/9, 9/8, 8/27, 8/22, 8/17

3 DoD previously missing assigned dates.

DHHS TESTING % POSITIVE FOR TODAY 4.8%
9/15/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
916 <- 94% reporting (was 895 at 92%)
Completed Tests

1621 Deaths are now Congregate (+34)
489 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+3)
+51 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1001 Deaths assumed General Population (+14)
2110 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+37)

345 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (-5)
Nursing Homes 208 -> 205
Resident Care 97 -> 96
Correctional 35 -> 36
Other 10 -> 8

1106 positive cases over 17621* new tests. 6.3% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 17621 but DHHS claims only 9563 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/15
9/14(7), 9/13(6), 9/12(5), 9/11(8), 9/10(3), 9/9, 9/8, 9/7(3), 9/6, 9/5, 9/1, 8/30, 8/17, 8/12, 8/9, 8/7, 8/4, 8/3, 8/1, 7/23, 7/16, 7/12(2), 4/14

9/16/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
918 <- 96% reporting (was 916 at 94%)
Completed Tests

1642 Deaths are now Congregate (+21)
498 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+9)
+38 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1009 Deaths assumed General Population (+8)
2140 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+30)

338 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (-7)
Nursing Homes 205 -> 204
Resident Care 96 -> 91
Correctional 36 -> 35
Other 8 -> 8

1137 positive cases over 30944* new tests. 3.7% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 30944 but DHHS claims only 22513 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/16
9/15(2), 9/14(13), 9/13(6), 9/12(5), 9/11, 9/10, 9/8(2), 9/6(3), 9/5, 9/4, 9/3(2), 9/2, 8/29, 8/25, 8/14

2 missing DoD assigned Dates

One Death Removed
9/7 (Gaston)
9/17/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
894 <- 96% reporting (was 918 at 96%)
Completed Tests

1654 Deaths are now Congregate (+12)
508 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+10)
+31 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1018 Deaths assumed General Population (+9)
2162 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+22)

332 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (-6)
Nursing Homes 204 -> 201
Resident Care 91 -> 87
Correctional 35 -> 35
Other 8 -> 9

1552 positive cases over 30791* new tests. 5.0% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 30944 but DHHS claims only 24950 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/17
9/16(5), 9/15(8), 9/14(8), 9/11(2), 9/8, 9/4, 9/3, 9/1, 8/23, 8/17, 8/16(2), 8/8, 8/3, 7/10

Deaths REMOVED 9/17
8/27, 8/18, 8/14

With so many changes still double checking.

9/18/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
904 <- 94% reporting (was 894 at 96%)
Completed Tests

1670 Deaths are now Congregate (+16)
511 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+3)
+27 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1026 Deaths assumed General Population (+8)
2181 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+19)

336 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+4)
Nursing Homes 201 -> 204
Resident Care 87 -> 89
Correctional 35 -> 35
Other 9 -> 8

1443 positive cases over 34875* new tests. 4.1% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 34875 but DHHS claims only 25978 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/18
9/17(3), 9/16(11), 9/15, 9/14(2), 9/10, 9/9, 9/8, 9/7, 9/1, 8/30, 8/18, 8/10, 8/9, 7/21

1 death removed 8/3
9/19/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
882 <- 96% reporting (was 904 at 94%)
Completed Tests

1686 Deaths are now Congregate (+16)
519 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+8)
+28 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1030 Deaths assumed General Population (+4)
2205 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+24)

345 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+9)
Nursing Homes 204 -> 212
Resident Care 89 -> 92
Correctional 35 -> 34
Other 8 -> 7

1229 positive cases over 22000* new tests. 5.6% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 22000 but DHHS claims only 14219 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/19
9/18(3), 9/17(6), 9/16(3), 9/15(2), 9/14, 9/13(4), 9/12, 9/10, 9/9(2), 9/8, 9/5(3), 8/27, 8/1

1 new missing DoD.

Peak DoD 8/1 increases 39 -> 40

9/20/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
889 <- 94% reporting (was 882 at 96%)
Completed Tests

1687 Deaths are now Congregate (+1)
520 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+1)

1036 Deaths assumed General Population (+6)
2207 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+2)

346 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+1)
Nursing Homes 212 -> 213
Resident Care 92 -> 92
Correctional 34 -> 34
Other 7 -> 7

1333 positive cases over 33798* new tests. 3.9% positive rate. (DHHS 4.6%)

Delta completed tests 33798 but DHHS claims only 17478 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/20
9/19, 9/18, 9/16, 9/15(2), 9/13, 9/11, 9/7, 8/19
6 of the deaths are from Alamance

One Death Removed 9/5 (Currituck)
9/21/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
885 <- 95% reporting (was 889 at 94%)
Completed Tests

1688 Deaths are now Congregate (+1)
522 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+2)
+4 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1037 Deaths assumed General Population (+1)
2210 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+3)

339 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (-7)
Nursing Homes 213 -> 207
Resident Care 92 -> 91
Correctional 34 -> 34
Other 7 -> 7

800 positive cases over 12721* new tests. 6.3% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 12721 but DHHS claims only 8231 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/21
9/20, 9/19, 9/17, 8/4
9/22/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
905 <- 96% reporting (was 885 at 95%)
Completed Tests

1710 Deaths are now Congregate (+22)
526 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+4)
+39 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1050 Deaths assumed General Population (+13)
2236 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+26)

337 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (-2)
Nursing Homes 207 -> 205
Resident Care 91 -> 89
Correctional 34 -> 35
Other 7 -> 8

1168 positive cases over 7390* new tests. XX% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 7390 but DHHS claims only BLANK completed tests
*** Has to be something wrong with reporting, the case delta doesn't make sense. DHHS did not actually enter a value for 'Completed Tests' for the date 9/22

Dates of Death Reported 9/22
9/21(6), 9/20(8), 9/19(7), 9/18(7), 9/17(2), 9/16, 9/15, 9/14, 9/5, 8/30, 8/27, 8/20, 6/29

1 new missing DoD
9/23/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
912 <- 97% reporting (was 905 at 96%)
Completed Tests

1731 Deaths are now Congregate (+21)
527 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+1)
+30 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1058 Deaths assumed General Population (+8)
2258 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+22)

341 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+4)
Nursing Homes 205 -> 209
Resident Care 89 -> 88
Correctional 35 -> 37
Other 8 -> 7

952 positive cases over 17498* new tests. 5.4% positive rate.

Dates of Death Reported 9/23
9/22(5), 9/21(4), 9/20, 9/19(2), 9/18(2), 9/17(2), 9/16, 9/15(2), 9/12, 9/11, 9/9, 9/2, 8/28, 8/25, 8/19, 8/15, 8/12, 8/11, 7/27

9 deaths out of Rutherford
5 deaths out of Edgecombe
9/24/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
902 <- 97% reporting (was 912 at 97%)
Completed Tests

1757 Deaths are now Congregate (+26)
531 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+4)
+40 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1068 Deaths assumed General Population (+10)
2288 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+30)

347 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+6)
Nursing Homes 209 -> 216
Resident Care 89 -> 89
Correctional 37 -> 36
Other 7 -> 7

1688 positive cases over 27764* new tests. 6.1% positive rate. (DHHS 4.8%)

Dates of Death Reported 9/24
9/22(9), 9/21(7), 9/20(2), 9/19(2), 9/18(2), 9/17(3), 9/16(2), 9/15, 9/14, 9/13(2), 9/10, 9/2, 8/23, 8/22, 8/19, 8/16, 7/16

2 new missing DoD

Wake County (other than dumping old deaths) is running about 200 cases ahead on their county site ahead of what DHHS has them at (this is unusual, they have been closely tied day in and day out). I can't see the cases on recent days, so I am predicting some kind of case dump of old cases must be coming soon.
Wayland

statefan91
May be a fluke but have been checking in on a theater I go to for future listings and found this - it sounds like they've been alerted that we'll have movie theaters open starting next Friday - maybe indicating that we will move into Phase 3?

Wayland
https://www.ncdhhs.gov/news/press-releases/ncdhhs-adds-antigen-test-information-covid-19-dashboard

Quote:

"Antigen positive cases make up a small percent (2%) of total COVID-19 cases and deaths (0.7%) in North Carolina, to date. Antigen positive cases and deaths have now been incorporated onto North Carolina's dashboards, resulting in 4,563 antigen positive cases and 25 deaths being added to the dashboards. NCDHHS has posted an FAQ that explains all data elements on the dashboard that have been updated and provides additional information on antigen and molecular testing."

We will see if these are new or old data. I wonder if this was some of the 'data dump' that I was seeing.
bigeric
Will they report the total antigen tests, or just the positives?
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
ciscopack
Daviewolf83 said:

ciscopack said:

I would be curious to know who this doctor is and to read what he said. I did find an interesting paper in The Lancet regarding the Covid vaccines and the potential that they will provide immunity. I have provided the link below for others to read. It does discuss the question of efficacy and the thresholds required for the vaccines to gain approval. The efficacy does not need to be 100% for approval and this may be what the doctor was referring to. It has been assumed most vaccines will only be 50-70% effective in reducing the spread of the virus, given the expected efficacy and the fact many people will chose not to get the vaccine.

You can read the full paper in The Lancet here: What can we expect from the first-generation COVID-19 vaccines?
I wish I had paid closer attention and kept up where I saw and heard it. It was a man Dr. that I had heard of and I was probably doing something else while listening....that's what I got out of what he said and I may be off? I'll see if I can find it and him.

From your link...this is pretty much what he was saying.... "These observations suggest that we cannot assume COVID-19 vaccines, even if shown to be effective in reducing severity of disease, will reduce virus transmission to a comparable degree. The notion that COVID-19-vaccine-induced population immunity will allow a return to pre-COVID-19 "normalcy" might be based on illusory assumptions."

Interesting on Covid-19 vaccinations - Questions and Answers about COVID-19 Vaccines
Wayland
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Quote:

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 192 -> 199
Resident Care 101 -> 103
Correctional 43 -> 41
Other 8 -> 10

1 death removed on 9/1

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 199 -> 205
Resident Care 103 -> 105
Correctional 41 -> 37
Other 10 -> 10

9/10(10), 9/9(6). 9/8(4). 9/7(3), 9/6, 9/5, 9/4(2), 9/1, 8/30, 8/26, 8/17(2), 8/6, 8/3, 7/7

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 205 -> 209
Resident Care 105 -> 101
Correctional 37 -> 37
Other 10 -> 10

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 209 -> 210
Resident Care 101 -> 101
Correctional 37 -> 37
Other 10 -> 10

9/12, 9/11(4)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 210 -> 208
Resident Care 101 -> 97
Correctional 37 -> 35
Other 10 -> 10

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 208 -> 205
Resident Care 97 -> 96
Correctional 35 -> 36
Other 10 -> 8

9/14(7), 9/13(6), 9/12(5), 9/11(8), 9/10(3), 9/9, 9/8, 9/7(3), 9/6, 9/5, 9/1, 8/30, 8/17, 8/12, 8/9, 8/7, 8/4, 8/3, 8/1, 7/23, 7/16, 7/12(2), 4/14

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 205 -> 204
Resident Care 96 -> 91
Correctional 36 -> 35
Other 8 -> 8

9/15(2), 9/14(13), 9/13(6), 9/12(5), 9/11, 9/10, 9/8(2), 9/6(3), 9/5, 9/4, 9/3(2), 9/2, 8/29, 8/25, 8/14

One Death Removed
9/7 (Gaston)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 204 -> 201
Resident Care 91 -> 87
Correctional 35 -> 35
Other 8 -> 9

9/16(5), 9/15(8), 9/14(8), 9/11(2), 9/8, 9/4, 9/3, 9/1, 8/23, 8/17, 8/16(2), 8/8, 8/3, 7/10

Deaths REMOVED 9/17
8/27, 8/18, 8/14

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 201 -> 204
Resident Care 87 -> 89
Correctional 35 -> 35
Other 9 -> 8

9/17(3), 9/16(11), 9/15, 9/14(2), 9/10, 9/9, 9/8, 9/7, 9/1, 8/30, 8/18, 8/10, 8/9, 7/21

1 death removed 8/3

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 204 -> 212
Resident Care 89 -> 92
Correctional 35 -> 34
Other 8 -> 7

9/18(3), 9/17(6), 9/16(3), 9/15(2), 9/14, 9/13(4), 9/12, 9/10, 9/9(2), 9/8, 9/5(3), 8/27, 8/1

1 new missing DoD.

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 212 -> 213
Resident Care 92 -> 92
Correctional 34 -> 34
Other 7 -> 7

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 213 -> 207
Resident Care 92 -> 91
Correctional 34 -> 34
Other 7 -> 7

9/20, 9/19, 9/17, 8/4

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 207 -> 205
Resident Care 91 -> 89
Correctional 34 -> 35
Other 7 -> 8

*** Has to be something wrong with reporting, the case delta doesn't make sense. DHHS did not actually enter a value for 'Completed Tests' for the date 9/22

9/21(6), 9/20(8), 9/19(7), 9/18(7), 9/17(2), 9/16, 9/15, 9/14, 9/5, 8/30, 8/27, 8/20, 6/29

1 new missing DoD

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 205 -> 209
Resident Care 89 -> 88
Correctional 35 -> 37
Other 8 -> 7

9/22(5), 9/21(4), 9/20, 9/19(2), 9/18(2), 9/17(2), 9/16, 9/15(2), 9/12, 9/11, 9/9, 9/2, 8/28, 8/25, 8/19, 8/15, 8/12, 8/11, 7/27

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 209 -> 216
Resident Care 89 -> 89
Correctional 37 -> 36
Other 7 -> 7

9/22(9), 9/21(7), 9/20(2), 9/19(2), 9/18(2), 9/17(3), 9/16(2), 9/15, 9/14, 9/13(2), 9/10, 9/2, 8/23, 8/22, 8/19, 8/16, 7/16

2 new missing DoD

Wake County (other than dumping old deaths) is running about 200 cases ahead on their county site ahead of what DHHS has them at (this is unusual, they have been closely tied day in and day out). I can't see the cases on recent days, so I am predicting some kind of case dump of old cases must be coming soon.
9/25/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
199,768 (PCR) + 4563 (antigen) = 204,331
NC Deaths
3384 (PCR) + 25 (anitgen) = 3409
Currently Hospitalized
903 <- 93% reporting (was 902 at 97%)
Completed Tests
1781 Deaths are now Congregate (+24)
541 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+11)
+53 = 28 (PCR) + 25 (anti) Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1086 Deaths assumed General Population (+18)
2323 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+35)

348 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+1)
Nursing Homes 216 -> 217
Resident Care 89 -> 89
Correctional 36 -> 36
Other 7 -> 7

1693 (PCR) positive cases over 32863* new tests. XX% positive rate.

Dates of Death Reported 9/25
Not even going to list them....
DrummerboyWolf
Dr. Simone Gold tweeted this out the other day. Nations using Hydroxychloroquine are 75% lower. Sorry linked the wrong page at first. Here is the right one.

Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Mormad
Rheum just published a study looking at 1000s of pts on plaquenil for rheumatologic disorders vs those not on it, and found no protective effect of the medication in regards to covid.
lumberpack5
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200924141529.htm

Some severe COVID-19 cases linked to genetic mutations or antibodies that attack the body
Date:
September 24, 2020
Source:
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Summary:
Two new studies offer an explanation for why COVID-19 cases can be so variable. A subset of patients has mutations in key immunity genes; other patients have auto-antibodies that target the same components of the immune system. Both circumstances could contribute to severe forms of the disease.

Everyone needs to read this article. I can't get it to post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HLA-B#:~:text=HLA%2DB%20(major%20histocompatibility%20complex,leukocyte%20antigen%20(HLA)%20complex.

Diabetics, Arthritics, Lupus, etc., a problem on the HLA B genes - article says if you test positive test for you antigens,
I like the athletic type
packgrad
Wayland
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Quote:

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 192 -> 199
Resident Care 101 -> 103
Correctional 43 -> 41
Other 8 -> 10

1 death removed on 9/1

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 199 -> 205
Resident Care 103 -> 105
Correctional 41 -> 37
Other 10 -> 10

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 205 -> 209
Resident Care 105 -> 101
Correctional 37 -> 37
Other 10 -> 10

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 209 -> 210
Resident Care 101 -> 101
Correctional 37 -> 37
Other 10 -> 10

9/12, 9/11(4)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 210 -> 208
Resident Care 101 -> 97
Correctional 37 -> 35
Other 10 -> 10

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 208 -> 205
Resident Care 97 -> 96
Correctional 35 -> 36
Other 10 -> 8

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 205 -> 204
Resident Care 96 -> 91
Correctional 36 -> 35
Other 8 -> 8

One Death Removed
9/7 (Gaston)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 204 -> 201
Resident Care 91 -> 87
Correctional 35 -> 35
Other 8 -> 9

Deaths REMOVED 9/17
8/27, 8/18, 8/14

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 201 -> 204
Resident Care 87 -> 89
Correctional 35 -> 35
Other 9 -> 8

1 death removed 8/3

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 204 -> 212
Resident Care 89 -> 92
Correctional 35 -> 34
Other 8 -> 7

1 new missing DoD.

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 212 -> 213
Resident Care 92 -> 92
Correctional 34 -> 34
Other 7 -> 7

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 213 -> 207
Resident Care 92 -> 91
Correctional 34 -> 34
Other 7 -> 7

9/20, 9/19, 9/17, 8/4

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 207 -> 205
Resident Care 91 -> 89
Correctional 34 -> 35
Other 7 -> 8

1 new missing DoD

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 205 -> 209
Resident Care 89 -> 88
Correctional 35 -> 37
Other 8 -> 7

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 209 -> 216
Resident Care 89 -> 89
Correctional 37 -> 36
Other 7 -> 7

2 new missing DoD

9/25/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
199,768 (PCR) + 4563 (antigen) = 204,331
NC Deaths
3384 (PCR) + 25 (anitgen) = 3409
Currently Hospitalized
903 <- 93% reporting (was 902 at 97%)
Completed Tests
1781 Deaths are now Congregate (+24)
541 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+10)
+52 = 28 (PCR) + 25 (anti) Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1086 Deaths assumed General Population (+18)
2322 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+34)

348 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+1)
Nursing Homes 216 -> 217
Resident Care 89 -> 89
Correctional 36 -> 36
Other 7 -> 7

1693 (PCR) positive cases over 32863* new tests. XX% positive rate.

Dates of Death Reported 9/25
Not even going to list them....

9/26/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
201,431 (PCR) + 4.659 (antigen) = 206,090
NC Deaths
2413 (PCR) + 27 (anitgen) = 3440
Currently Hospitalized
914 <- 97% reporting (was 903 at 93%)
Completed Tests
1796 Deaths are now Congregate (+15)
550 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+9)

1094 Deaths assumed General Population (+8)
2346 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+24)

356 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+8)
Nursing Homes 217 -> 223
Resident Care 89 -> 91
Correctional 36 -> 36
Other 7 -> 7

1759 positive cases over 40090* new tests. 4.4% positive rate. (4.5% DHHS)

Dates of Death Reported 9/26
9/25(3), 9/24(11), 9/23(3), 9/21, 9/20(2), 9/19, 9/18, 9/16(2), 9/15, 9/12, 9/8, 9/6, 8/26, 8/13

One new missing Date of Death
TheStorm
^ Yep. Roy Boy absolutely botched it with the Congregate Facilties.

*Tell me how in the hell can a PROSPECTIVE Resident that is CURRENT Covid Positive be admitted to a Congregate Facility? That one still blows me away. Someone "in the business" posted that here 2-3 months ago already, but I sure as hell never read anything about it in the NC Press, nor from air quotes "Dr." Cohen... just amazing that they do that, but keep everything ****ing else shut down.

Political Clowns.
Wayland
Quote:

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 217 -> 223
Resident Care 89 -> 91
Correctional 36 -> 36
Other 7 -> 7

9/25(3), 9/24(11), 9/23(3), 9/21, 9/20(2), 9/19, 9/18, 9/16(2), 9/15, 9/12, 9/8, 9/6, 8/26, 8/13

9/27/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
202,704 (PCR) + 4.676 (antigen) = 207,380
NC Deaths
2414 (PCR) + 27 (anitgen) = 3441
Currently Hospitalized
917 <- 92% reporting (was 914 at 97%)
Completed Tests
1797 Deaths are now Congregate (+1)
550 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+0)

1094 Deaths assumed General Population (+0)
2347 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+1)

357 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+1)
Nursing Homes 223 -> 224
Resident Care 89 -> 91
Correctional 36 -> 36
Other 7 -> 7

1290 positive cases over 30908* new tests. 4.2% positive rate.

Dates of Death Reported 9/27
9/26

I still contend that something is 'off' with the hospitalizations number due to the fact that there are no statewide standards and definitions.
Wayland
Wayland said:

Quote:

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 217 -> 223
Resident Care 89 -> 91
Correctional 36 -> 36
Other 7 -> 7

9/27/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
202,704 (PCR) + 4.676 (antigen) = 207,380
NC Deaths
2414 (PCR) + 27 (anitgen) = 3441
Currently Hospitalized
917 <- 92% reporting (was 914 at 97%)
Completed Tests
1797 Deaths are now Congregate (+1)
550 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+0)

1094 Deaths assumed General Population (+0)
2347 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+1)

357 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+1)
Nursing Homes 223 -> 224
Resident Care 89 -> 91
Correctional 36 -> 36
Other 7 -> 7

1290 positive cases over 30908* new tests. 4.2% positive rate.

Dates of Death Reported 9/27
9/26

I still contend that something is 'off' with the hospitalizations number due to the fact that there are no statewide standards and definitions.
9/28/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
203,568 (PCR) + 4.680 (antigen) = 208,248
NC Deaths
2418 (PCR) + 27 (anitgen) = 3445
Currently Hospitalized
897 <- 96% reporting (was 917 at 92%)
Completed Tests
1799 Deaths are now Congregate (+2)
551 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+1)

1094 Deaths assumed General Population (+1)
2350 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+3)

358 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+0)
Nursing Homes 224 -> 224
Resident Care 91 -> 91
Correctional 36 -> 36
Other 7 -> 7

868 positive cases over 25801* new tests. 3.4% positive rate.

Dates of Death Reported 9/28
9/27(2), 9/26(2), 9/24, 9/23, 9/22(2), 9/20, 8/28

2 Deaths Removed 9/28
9/25, 9/14 (Hertford and Rutherford)

4 missing deaths given dates. (4 remain)
First Page Last Page
Page 162 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.