Game of Thrones

17,241 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by IseWolf22
statefan91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GuerrillaPack said:

I've never watched this show. I've never paid it any attention until the last few months, when people in my office were talking about it. I read some commentary on the show the last few weeks, alleging that the show is an allegory to our modern world -- and specifically on the subject of globalism, and destroying the Western world with the weapon of mass immigration and "multiculturalism".

Also, apparently the conclusion/finale of the show is supposed to represent a victory for the "Western world" against the globalist agenda and mass immigration?

Is any of that on target?
No, stop infiltrating other threads with your nonsense.
GuerrillaPack
statefan91 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

I've never watched this show. I've never paid it any attention until the last few months, when people in my office were talking about it. I read some commentary on the show the last few weeks, alleging that the show is an allegory to our modern world -- and specifically on the subject of globalism, and destroying the Western world with the weapon of mass immigration and "multiculturalism".

Also, apparently the conclusion/finale of the show is supposed to represent a victory for the "Western world" against the globalist agenda and mass immigration?

Is any of that on target?
No, stop infiltrating other threads with your nonsense.
Oh, so now I don't have the same freedom of speech as you?

Since you are a leftist, you get to make the decision as to who has freedom of speech?

The novelist on which this series is based has said that the story is an allegory about modern life. Even CNN admits it's an allegory.

But I have to just "shut up" about this, because you say so, right? Even when this is the most important thing about the entire show.
statefan91
You asked a question, I responded. You're welcome.
metcalfmafia
It would probably be best to keep this thread about the story of GOT and keep all of the political, "elitist", etc. stuff to the 17 other threads that have been started about it.
GuerrillaPack
metcalfmafia said:

It would probably be best to keep this thread about the story of GOT and keep all of the political, "elitist", etc. stuff to the 17 other threads that have been started about it.
"Best" according to who? Who made you the police of what we can talk about?

This show is political, as admitted by the novelist who wrote the book that is the basis of the show. The CNN article I cited about the show argues that the show is one big allegory about modern life and politics, and even talks about how "Only elites can play the game" (ie, the "game of thrones"). That's a direct quote of a sub-headline in the article.

But I can't talk about the "elites" or the "political" aspects of the show? Why? Because you don't like my (right-wing) views on those topics?

The theme of what the show is really about is the most important part of the show. It's the whole point of the show. I'm not just injecting these topics in order to "hijack the thread" and re-direct it onto unrelated subjects. I'm bringing up the very most important aspect of this entire discussion.
IseWolf22
GuerrillaPack said:

metcalfmafia said:

This show is political, as admitted by the novelist who wrote the book that is the basis of the show. The CNN article I cited about the show argues that the show is one big allegory about modern life and politics, and even talks about how "Only elites can play the game" (ie, the "game of thrones"). That's a direct quote of a sub-headline in the article.

But I can't talk about the "elites" or the "political" aspects of the show? Why? Because you don't like my (right-wing) views on those topics?

The theme of what the show is really about is the most important part of the show. It's the whole point of the show. I'm not just injecting these topics in order to "hijack the thread" and re-direct it onto unrelated subjects. I'm bringing up the very most important aspect of this entire discussion.
The political allegory is that power corrupts and absolutely power corrupts absolutely. The more power the leaders have, the greater they justify their atrocities as necessary. There is no statement about mass immigration at all
NatePait94
Guerrilla, we can't say whether those allegories are true or false. The show is open to many different interpretations. However, there are elites and there is kind of immigration from north of the wall into the south (freefolk), but the rest can boil down to "invasions" for war.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
IseWolf22
NatePait94 said:

Guerrilla, we can't say whether those allegories are true or false. The show is open to many different interpretations. However, there are elites and there is kind of immigration from north of the wall into the south (freefolk), but the rest can boil down to "invasions" for war.
The freefolk are almost all white and are driven south by monsters that slaughter them and bring the dead to life. If you're looking for an allegory here it wouldn't be the one Guerilla is describing. The wall keeping the freefolk north causes thousands to die as they can't escape the monsters and in turn increases the numbers in the army of the dead.

When they are allowed in, they fight on the side of the heroes, and when the monsters are defeated, they peacefully return home.
GuerrillaPack
NatePait94 said:

Thanks Nate. Like I said, I haven't even watched one minute of this show. I'm just going on what I'm reading/hearing from commentaries on the show.

Here's a recent article from W Magazine that comments on the portrayal of immigration in the show, alleging that the message of the show in regards to immigration is a "problem" -- presumably because the show is not pushing enough of a Leftist pro-open borders agenda:

Game of Thrones Keeps Killing Off Entire Immigrant Populations, and It's a Problem
Glasswolf
Never watched an episode. Nor the Walking Dead
NatePait94
IseWolf22 said:

NatePait94 said:

The freefolk are almost all white and are driven south by monsters that slaughter them and bring the dead to life. If you're looking for an allegory here it wouldn't be the one Guerilla is describing. The wall keeping the freefolk north causes thousands to die as they can't escape the monsters and in turn increases the numbers in the army of the dead.

When they are allowed in, they fight on the side of the heroes, and when the monsters are defeated, they peacefully return home.

All of this is true to an extent. The *extent* would be me nitpicking though.

We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
metcalfmafia
GuerrillaPack said:

metcalfmafia said:

There are many topics and allegories in the show. I'm saying can we not talk about literally ANY OF THE OTHER ONES besides the topic that is slightly hinted at in the show and the one you are so obsessed about?

This board is about 75% your posts anyway. Give us a break from the same tired topic you keep flooding the board with.
PackFansXL
Were the coffee cup and water bottle intentionally left in the shots this season?
NatePait94
I would say no. Lol.

At least Ghost got his good boy pat. Am I rite???
metcalfmafia
NatePait94 said:

I would say no. Lol.

At least Ghost got his good boy pat. Am I rite???

Will we ever know what happened to Ghost's ear? So many unanswered questions...
NatePait94
I'm pretty sure that the majority of the fans that are upset about the ending of the show will be much better after reading the final two books, once released. I'm sure GRRM will spell it all out for us.
IseWolf22
NatePait94 said:

I'm pretty sure that the majority of the fans that are upset about the ending of the show will be much better after reading the final two books, once released. I'm sure GRRM will spell it all out for us.

So in like 10 years?
NatePait94
More like 20 years... lol.

My hope is he has already completed book 6 despite conflicting speculation
910wolf
Regardless on how everyone feels about the writing of Season 8, Peter Dinklage did an absolutely amazing job
IseWolf22
NatePait94 said:

More like 20 years... lol.

My hope is he has already completed book 6 despite conflicting speculation
He just said he's still working on book 6
NatePait94
Blast!
NatePait94
Agreed. Integral actor in the series.
NatePait94
4 hours ago.

"Winter is coming, I told you, long ago... and so it is," Martin wrote. "THE WINDS OF WINTER is very late, I know, I know, but it will be done. I won't say when, I've tried that before, only to burn you all and jinx myself... but I will finish it, and then will come A DREAM OF SPRING."

For the record, the show long eclipsed the books around season four or five, which of course begs the question: Will the ending to the books, the urtext of "Game of Thrones," be different than the show?

Martin's answer is just as cryptic.

"How will it all end? I hear people asking. The same ending as the show? Different? Well... yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes." -GRRM
IseWolf22
Anyone have any other good fantasy series to suggest. STRONG preference for ones that are complete

I've read:
Wheel of Time (Favorite)
Malazan Empire - Long and jumps all over the place, but very entertaining
Mistborn - Interesting triology
First Law - subverts a lot of the typical fantasy tropes
RuneLords - This is more young adult-ish. I loved it as a teen, rereading it as an adult wasn't as good
Broken Empire - 3 books all about revenge
Lord of the Rings - enough said
His Dark materials (Golden Compass) - If you've only read the 1st book, you should finish the series
PackFansXL
I don't know if you count Justin Cronin's trilogy The Passage, The Twelve, and The City of Mirrors as direct fits for your category, but I enjoyed reading the first two. I haven't read the third to comment on it.
statefan91
IseWolf22 said:

Anyone have any other good fantasy series to suggest. STRONG preference for ones that are complete

I've read:
Wheel of Time (Favorite)
RuneLords - This is more young adult-ish. I loved it as a teen, rereading it as an adult wasn't as good
His Dark materials (Golden Compass) - If you've only read the 1st book, you should finish the series

Have you seen the preview for His Dark Materials on HBO? Hoping BBC/HBO pump the same type of money they did into this as they did GoT. I think everything will be good up until the Amber Spyglass when stuff gets really wacky.
Ground_Chuck
IseWolf22 said:

I've read:
Wheel of Time (Favorite)

The kingkiller chronicles by Rothfuss is very good but not complete. 2/3 books done. Same for Gentlemen *******s by Lynch . 3/4 are done.

Book 1 of both series are tremendous. Name the Wind for kingkiller and Lies of Locke Lamora. They stand on their own as great books.

The Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin is very good. The three books won 3 Hugo awards.

You mentioned Mistborn. There is a second trilogy which is pretty good. Also set in the same universe is the The Stormlight Archive. Very good books.

Not fantasy but the Red Rising trilogy is great too. Similar to Dune, kind of. I've recommended it to several people and they've all love them.

NatePait94
Am I wrong in thinking/believing that Bran was going to be king from the get-go? Maybe I am being captain obvious here, but I'd love to see if yall share the same thought process.
statefan91
I didn't see it. Especially earlier in the season or last when he said "I can never be Lord of Winterfell," Bran says. "I can never be lord of anything. I'm the Three-Eyed Raven."

I mean if he can see everything and knows everything, then he knew that Jon loved Dany and told him his lineage anyway, driving a wedge between Jon and Dany, causing her to go off the deep end and burn KL, and then lead to Jon having to kill her and he be in place to be King.

When you think of it, Bran is really the villain in the end.
NatePait94
As the show wore on, and I watched more YouTube videos on theories and such, I noticed that the show doesnt have abundance of squirrels, etc., in the background of scenes. But in some quite important scenes, since the beginning, there tend to be ravens around.... I believe Bran, and the raven before him, were always keeping an eye on what was going on.

Also, with their ability to view the past, present (in different/distant locations), the future, and potential to manipulate it (see Bran yell at his father and Ned turn around right before Ned enters the keep to see Lyanna give birth to Jon Snow), I believe the three eyed ravens were playing checkers in the Game of Thrones whilst everyone else was playing chess.

Pretty sure Bran clued Tyrion into the details a couple episodes back.

I wouldn't have a clue to any of this, specifically the ravens in certain situations, in windows in the background for example, during key conversations throughout the show, without watching YouTubers do some serious, time-consuming videos.
IseWolf22
Ground_Chuck said:

IseWolf22 said:

I've read:
Wheel of Time (Favorite)

The kingkiller chronicles by Rothfuss is very good but not complete. 2/3 books done. Same for Gentlemen *******s by Lynch . 3/4 are done.

Book 1 of both series are tremendous. Name the Wind for kingkiller and Lies of Locke Lamora. They stand on their own as great books.

The Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin is very good. The three books won 3 Hugo awards.

You mentioned Mistborn. There is a second trilogy which is pretty good. Also set in the same universe is the The Stormlight Archive. Very good books.

Not fantasy but the Red Rising trilogy is great too. Similar to Dune, kind of. I've recommended it to several people and they've all love them.

Thanks

No way I'm starting kingkiller chronicals until they announce the release date of the last book

Stormlight archives has been on my list

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.