Game of Thrones

17,060 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by IseWolf22
NatePait94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How about that episode?!?!?!?!?!
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
PackDaddy
Valar Morghulis
NatePait94
Valar dohaeris
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
metcalfmafia
I'll be honest...I was disappointed in that episode.
WarrenPeace
Me too. They've feared that dude for 7 seasons and he and all his army go down with a little dagger. I was hoping they'd cut his head off or an arrow between the eyes. Oh well, he gone.
metcalfmafia
WarrenPeace said:

Me too. They've feared that dude for 7 seasons and he and all his army go down with a little dagger. I was hoping they'd cut his head off or an arrow between the eyes. Oh well, he gone.
Yep. All that build up and he gets taken down by a character who really never referenced the Night King in dialogue at all.

I've read a couple of reviews that I agree with. It seems you can tell when watching this season and last that they do not have as much source material. The story lines seem shallow in the latest seasons.
NatePait94
They've known for the past 3 years that arya was going to be the one to do it. The producers at least. They said that specifically in the Inside the Episode of last night's episode.

I find it cool that the same dagger that was used to try and kill Bran In the first season is the same dagger used to protect him and ultimately kill the night king. She stabbed him directly where the children of the forest stabbed him with the dragon glass blade to turn him into the night king. This was also told Inside the Episode. I thought it was a great battle.

Also find it cool that the Lord of the Light was always the counterbalance to the lord of darkness, the night king. It all makes sense now if you go back and watch all the episodes. Especially when melisandre is telling Arya that she will shut many eyes forever and they will meet again and that the lord of light has a purpose for clegane and her. It's all great foreshadowing that happened a couple seasons ago.
metcalfmafia
The Night King is hyped up for years and then when push comes to shove he just gets stabbed.. no backstory, no reason for him doing what he did... he just gets stabbed then POOF the greatest enemy is gone.

Feels poorly executed in my opinion.
NatePait94
There isn't supposed to be a backstory. He is nothing more than death and it is that simple. The children of the forest created him to simply help them destroy mankind. Of course we all wanted there to be more to the story but it was just as simple as that. He represented death and darkness and light prevailed.
metcalfmafia
NatePait94 said:

There isn't supposed to be a backstory. He is nothing more than death and it is that simple. The children of the forest created him to simply help them destroy mankind. Of course we all wanted there to be more to the story but it was just as simple as that. He represented death and darkness and light prevailed.
For a show as well thought out and written as GOT has been, that is just not cutting it IMO. Sorry, it just isn't.

Did you not feel that the Night King was a main character? Did you feel that was a justifiable death?
NatePait94
Of course not. I wanted more. I think every fan wanted more. The night king had a broader canvas than any other character in the show. I find peace in my thought process by realizing that we all built him up more than the writers did.

Winter is coming. Death is upon us. I mean hell, the night king never said one word. He was always simply supposed to be the embodiment of death. Just so happens that we didnt want to believe that and wanted something more. We will probably get more. Did you read the books? There is a lot more lore to the story than meets the eye.
metcalfmafia
Nah I didn't read the books, but I probably should. Maybe if GRRM ever gets to finishing them, there may be more explanation.

It is all also a product of only having 6 episodes left. The show could probably have another 2 or 3 seasons if GRRM was finished with his whole story.
NatePait94
I agree.
PackDaddy
Honestly the show really sucks compared to the books. I was talked into watching the show within the past year and wished I never had. It just doesn't do the books justice
NatePait94
They are definitely different. One thing about the show is that Weiss and Benioff kinda had to make up a lot of it as they went along with GRRM not giving them any firm endings. I think the books only covered material up to like the 4th or 5th season? Maybe even the third???

The characters were different in the books too. Most notably Catelyn Stark.
ncsualum05
PackDaddy said:

Honestly the show really sucks compared to the books. I was talked into watching the show within the past year and wished I never had. It just doesn't do the books justice
I actually like the show but I will agree that they don't do the books justice. But that would be impossible to do on TV b/c everything is extremely detailed, slow, and the web keeps getting bigger and more complicated. Shows have to streamline, and eventually wrap up. The wrap up is not going all that well but it's ok all things considered. We know very little about the Others in the books... we don't even know if a "night king" exists. Lots of other characters in the books with arcs still ongoing that were either left out of the show or killed off.
IseWolf22
NatePait94 said:

They've known for the past 3 years that arya was going to be the one to do it. The producers at least. They said that specifically in the Inside the Episode of last night's episode.

I find it cool that the same dagger that was used to try and kill Bran In the first season is the same dagger used to protect him and ultimately kill the night king. She stabbed him directly where the children of the forest stabbed him with the dragon glass blade to turn him into the night king. This was also told Inside the Episode. I thought it was a great battle.

Also find it cool that the Lord of the Light was always the counterbalance to the lord of darkness, the night king. It all makes sense now if you go back and watch all the episodes. Especially when melisandre is telling Arya that she will shut many eyes forever and they will meet again and that the lord of light has a purpose for clegane and her. It's all great foreshadowing that happened a couple seasons ago.
I actually liked that Arya killed him and how she did it, but I found the battle lacking. For one, their military tactics didn't make much sense. Why would sending the Dothraki out in the field to charge ever be a good idea? We all new they were dead meat the second they lined up ahead of everyone else.

They probably shouldn't have met the dead outside the walls at all, but if they did, it should have been like a Roman army fighting barbarians. A large shield wall with the 2nd rank stabbing above and below. The army of the dead was going to tear through any non-defensive formation.

IseWolf22
ncsualum05 said:

PackDaddy said:

I actually like the show but I will agree that they don't do the books justice. But that would be impossible to do on TV b/c everything is extremely detailed, slow, and the web keeps getting bigger and more complicated. Shows have to streamline, and eventually wrap up. The wrap up is not going all that well but it's ok all things considered. We know very little about the Others in the books... we don't even know if a "night king" exists. Lots of other characters in the books with arcs still ongoing that were either left out of the show or killed off.
Season 1 tracks to book 1 extremely well. One of the best adaptations of print I've seen. From there... it diverges quite alot.

They are currently turning The Wheel of Time into a TV show with production starting this September. I'm really hoping they don't butcher that, but they will have to massively streamline the story as it's much larger than GOT. 14 books 600-1000 pages each
NatePait94
To be fair, dany and jon have never shown to be battle tacticians. Not once.
statefan91
IseWolf22 said:

ncsualum05 said:

PackDaddy said:

Season 1 tracks to book 1 extremely well. One of the best adaptations of print I've seen. From there... it diverges quite alot.

They are currently turning The Wheel of Time into a TV show with production starting this September. I'm really hoping they don't butcher that, but they will have to massively streamline the story as it's much larger than GOT. 14 books 600-1000 pages each
I haven't read Wheel of Time but I just saw the trailer for His Dark Materials on HBO before the latest GoT and I'm pumped with what they do. Not on the scale of Wheel of Time or GoT but it's a series that deserves a good adaption.
PackDaddy
Tell me more about The Wheel of Time please

Edit - No spoilers please
IseWolf22
I'm not very good at this but will try. Avoiding spoilers means I can't really tell you much. If the series tracks to the books you won't really know the true plot until the end of the first season.

But it centers on a group of young adults who find themselves hunted by monsters and need to flee with a noble lady who can use magic. The monsters were made a millenia ago to serve the dark one. he is basically a evil God/devil figure who is trying to take over and Break the wheel (time).
Each of the group develops skills and importance after they leave in different ways.
In addition to the evil creatures, magic can be used, but there is a different source for men and women. Thousands of years ago the male half was tainted by the dark one, and using it causes men to go slowly go insane. They are a danger to others and are hunted down and by the small group of women who can still safely"channel."
The story traverses two contintents, and similar to GOT, politics and intrigue is central. The nation's struggle between each other as well as the central evil force, but that evil is far more of the plot then the white walkers in GOT. It's also not as violent and a whole lot less sexual. It does get really dark at later points, and many many die in the battles, but it isn't as gory.
The show runners could take this more family friendly route but I they do not. It's also going to be very hard to show the magic system. Being able to "see" the threads is very important for battles between users. Dr strange may be the closest thing I've seen in screen. Lots of little strands woven in complex patterns very quickly
PackDaddy
Thank you for taking your time and providing that response. It's greatly appreciated. I'm going to look into reading the series
metcalfmafia
Would there be any benefit to reading the GOT books at this point? Is it worth it just to understand the lore of it all?
NatePait94
metcalfmafia said:

Would there be any benefit to reading the GOT books at this point? Is it worth it just to understand the lore of it all?

I would argue yes. I'm currently reading Fire and Blood. You can get it right now for under twenty bucks. It takes place before GoT and explains a lot of history. I love it! If you like the GoT universe, the characters, the settings, the history, then you will LOVE the books.
IseWolf22
NatePait94 said:

metcalfmafia said:

I would argue yes. I'm currently reading Fire and Blood. You can get it right now for under twenty bucks. It takes place before GoT and explains a lot of history. I love it! If you like the GoT universe, the characters, the settings, the history, then you will LOVE the books.
Personally I am done reading fantasy series that aren't near completion. I've read the GOT books but will not pick up the next one until Martin has a date for book 7. At this rate he won't be done writing for 5+ more years.

There are a lot of excellent books/series that are out and finished
NatePait94
Remember that the books were so good that they decided to do a show about it!
NatePait94
I can understand that. Its disheartening that he hasn't finished them all but the man is a busy guy. I'm surprised he
hasnt worked his imagination into an aneurism.
ncsualum05
metcalfmafia said:

I started with the show and then after season 3 decided to read the books. OH man you want to talk about a different experience! All the mumbling and small things that you find hard to follow are all of a sudden crystal clear. References to historical things as well in that world. Places, people, kingdoms, lots of good details in the books that help you understand what's going on in the show. It's great... there's also way more characters and story arcs happening in the books.
IseWolf22
NatePait94 said:

I can understand that. Its disheartening that he hasn't finished them all but the man is a busy guy. I'm surprised he
hasnt worked his imagination into an aneurism.
It's a notorious problem in fantasy writing. I've been hearing for 5 years how amazing the Kingkiller Chronicals are. But the first book came out in 2007, the second in 2011, and the 3rd.....still doens't have a release date. I'm not going to start until the 3rd has a date.

In the Wheel of time, the author actually died with 3 books left. He had to bring in another writer (Brandon Sanderson) to review his notes and finish the series. Brandon Sanderson is a great author of his own by the way. Mistborn was a quality read and he has several stand alone novels.
metcalfmafia
NatePait94 said:

metcalfmafia said:

Would you recommend reading Fire and Blood before the other books?
NatePait94
Yes I would. You can get it on walmart.com for 14.58
IseWolf22
PackDaddy said:

Thank you for taking your time and providing that response. It's greatly appreciated. I'm going to look into reading the series
It's a long read.

IMO, it start our a bit slow in book 1. Books 8-10 also are draw out certain plot points longer than necessary. But the meat of the series is awesome, and it the last few are intense. Overall, it's a series I love. The characters and the world are so fleshed out, it's like you know them. But it's not for people who are looking for non-stop action
metcalfmafia
NatePait94 said:

Yes I would. You can get it on walmart.com for 14.58

Started reading it today and its fascinating. Thanks for the recommendation. Martin is a talented writer.
NatePait94
Most definitely.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.