Game Plan for todays game.

3,813 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by matracey
Redwolf55
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So what do we do?

Do we start Sam H or go with a bull pen day today since the Duke game is all that matters?

Or if we do start Sam, could we bring him back on Sunday if needed?
wilmwolf
Sam started last Thursday on short rest, starting today would be on even shorter rest. It's going to be a bullpen day. Sam can start the game that matters against Duke.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
matracey
I hope we see Marohn start
WilsonWolf
Today is a Payne, Miralia, Andrews, Lucas game
wilmwolf
matracey said:

I hope we see Marohn start

I'd rather hold him for long relief if needed.
castlewood107
I really hope we go Marohn/Whit combo for 4-5 innings and hopefully have a lead to give Shaffner, Lucas and Scott. That gives Marohn/Whit 3 fulls days of rest before potentially bringing it back for Sunday.

We need to win this game or falling to like 19 in the RPI. Lose to Duke, hello 16 seed. This game is potentially worth 4 seed lines for the NCAAT.

You get it done tonight and can still have this:

Duke
Sam 5 IP
Dudan 2 IP
D Rock 2 IP

Semis
Fritton 4 IP
Consiglio 4 IP
D Rock or Dudan 1 IP

Finals
Marohn/Whit again 5-6 IP
Dudan 1-2 IP
D Rock 1-2 IP
CLTWolf
Don't over think this....Johnny Wholestaff tonight.

Andrews
Lucas
Miralia
Scott
Halford
Fanning
etc...
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
PossumJenkins
WilsonWolf said:

Add Win Scott, Kelly, Labriola...seriously doubt we would see any arms expected to give us meaningful innings this weekend.
Alex Gee
Staff
There's literally no reason to pitch anyone in tonight's game. This win/loss moves the needle zero in any way. Win the ACC, get a top 8. Payne, Fanning, Dienes, Labriola, Halford, Wimbish, heck even Bechtel.

Nobody that's thrown a consequential inning in ACC play should pitch tonight. Zero reason for it. Playing the game that matters on Thursday lets you attack the tournament like a 3 game series against 3 different opponents.

Highfill tomorrow. Dom on Saturday. Whit for the title. Have the bullpen full go for those 3 because of what you're able to do tonight. The point of getting a top 4 seed is that we don't have to use anybody!
Alex Gee
Staff
WilsonWolf said:

Wouldn't even use Miralia, Andrews, or Lucas.
Pakbackr
Completely meaningless game tonight, so treat it like a midweek game and save the stars for the games that matter!
wilmwolf
Alex Gee said:

There's literally no reason to pitch anyone in tonight's game. This win/loss moves the needle zero in any way. Win the ACC, get a top 8. Payne, Fanning, Dienes, Labriola, Halford, Wimbish, heck even Bechtel.

Nobody that's thrown a consequential inning in ACC play should pitch tonight. Zero reason for it. Playing the game that matters on Thursday lets you attack the tournament like a 3 game series against 3 different opponents.

Highfill tomorrow. Dom on Saturday. Whit for the title. Have the bullpen full go for those 3 because of what you're able to do tonight. The point of getting a top 4 seed is that we don't have to use anybody!

Exactly. You have to win three games to win an ACC title, today's game is not one of those games. While technically you could throw a better arm for a few innings today and bring them back Sunday, why would you do that?

ETA: With regards to losing the game affecting hosting, the committee in years past has not placed a lot of importance on the outcome of the conference tournament unless you win it. Who knows how they feel this year, but that has been the case in the past.
rangerA
Seems like we should try to win this game to an extent for seeding in the NCAAs and possibly hosting a super
BreakPoint
I guess I don't understand the pool play…how does this game not matter?
pack2010
BreakPoint said:

with nc state being the highest seed in the pool, if all teams go 1-1, the pack get the tiebreaker due to seeding.

for example- if VT wins today, and NCSU beats duke, all 3 teams will be 1-1 and NCSU advances.

of course, if any team goes 2-0, they'll advance.
BreakPoint
pack2010 said:

BreakPoint said:

with nc state being the highest seed in the pool, if all teams go 1-1, the pack get the tiebreaker due to seeding.

for example- if VT wins today, and NCSU beats duke, all 3 teams will be 1-1 and NCSU advances.

Thank you
wilmwolf
rangerA said:

Seems like we should try to win this game to an extent for seeding in the NCAAs and possibly hosting a super
We are going to try and win it, just not at the expense of arms we need to win the ACC title.
Alex Gee
Staff
wilmwolf said:

rangerA said:

We are going to try and win it, just not at the expense of arms we need to win the ACC title.

The committee is not making a decision on NC State based on a meaningless game when there's a 51 game sample size either. We aren't going to try to lose, but the history State has in these meaningless games is to use back end arms (no offense to those guys)
Nairo
This dumb**** format, entirely on brand for this **** conference, is a big reason why the ACC has had one CWS winner since 2001.

Alex Gee said:

DecaturWolf
Start Hendu and bring in McLamb for relief.
Posted for years as ColoradoWolf and Rick from Littleton. On Twitter as @espwapoujacmel
StateFan2001
Nairo said:

This dumb**** format, entirely on brand for this **** conference, is a big reason why the ACC has had one CWS winner since 2001.

Alex Gee said:

Yep it is a completely idiotic format. Who wants to go watch a game as a fan when one of the teams isn't even concerned with winning. You are asking folks to pay money to watch a scrimmage game. Ridiculous.
Wolfer79
Nate97
DecaturWolf said:

1Pack promo - $10k per inning to pitch tonight
wilmwolf
When the tournament was shifted to this format, it was in direct response to UNC not making the conference tournament under the previous format (which had fewer teams/games) which they felt kept them out of the regionals that year. Please direct all of your justified hate towards them.
Travlnwolf
It's not meaningless. It's the first game I've been able to attend in a few years ;-)

But I hope to see a bunch of fresh arms and plenty of scoring by the Pack 9.

Hoping for a repeat of the basketball championship.
Borowolf10
Is Mako available? I would love to see what he can do in a game that is "big" but also doesn't matter.
Alex Gee
Staff
Nairo said:

Alex Gee said:

Yeah I mean they really should just do first round bye's.
CoachCase
Obviously, you try and win the game. Of course, you might not make the normal decisions re roster considering the format, but in my opinion you want to win and keep momentum. Interesting to think what is the attitude of Va Tech? Have they thrown in the towel? Do they want to take on the spoiler role? Can the Pack deliver a knockout punch early?
wilmwolf
VT has nothing to lose and will likely throw any available arms they have. They are a scrappy team, but if we can get up on them they'll probably fold given their position.
DJncsu13
Tonight's the night. Mako comes in and throws 7.1 inning 2 hits, 6 K's and 2 BB and everyone questions Avent where this guy has been all year.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
Wolfer79
DJncsu13 said:

Tonight's the night. Mako comes in and throws 7.1 inning 2 hits, 6 K's and 2 BB and everyone questions Avent where this guy has been all year.

And MJ Rice pitches last 1.2 innings
packman34
We have sucked at midweek games all year, so its a good thing this one isn't a must win and if we do lose, no biggie as we will bounce back on the weekends like we always have.
FinsUp
DecaturWolf said:

We'd still need a reliever for the remaining 8 2/3 innings!
113Chamberlain
CLTWolf said:

Don't over think this....Johnny Wholestaff tonight.

Andrews
Lucas
Miralia
Scott
Halford
Fanning
etc...
I'm mad at myself for nearly going to the gopack website because for a second I thought we had a young player Johnny Wholestaff who I had just never heard of making his wolfpack debut...
wolf howl
pack2010 said:

BreakPoint said:

LOL I'm still confused but I'll be there with a beer and cheering like it matters regardless!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.