ACC Tournament in Charlotte (Pack9 Eliminated)

34,737 Views | 374 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by toddl
Alex Gee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
boguesound said:

He could absolutely be effective for a couple of innings.

We have evidence. He's done it twice in conference off a midweek start. Both bad appearances against bad teams.
BigLefty24
Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

No idea why Marohn threw any pitches. Truly no idea why he threw 80 some pitches. Absolutely no idea why he threw any pitches after 10 runs?!

So excited for Sunday when we need one more arm for a title and he can't go

he could absolutely throw Sunday if needed.

Not nearly to the effectiveness that would've been nice to have available.

How great was it last week to hand him the ball against wake to win a damn series for 4 innings and 60 pitches? That's out the door, man. If we get to Sunday and are spent on arms it's going to be so damn frustrating

He'd have three full days of rest after only throwing 80 pitches. It's a glorified bullpen session which he's done all year. MLB dudes make full starts in the postseason on three days rest. If I were Avent, I woulda pulled him an inning earlier to save 15 pitches or so, but 1-2 innings on Sunday is completely doable.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

wilmwolf
Pinch hitting for a guy in his last college game down 12? That's kinda weird.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Alex Gee
Staff
BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

No idea why Marohn threw any pitches. Truly no idea why he threw 80 some pitches. Absolutely no idea why he threw any pitches after 10 runs?!

How great was it last week to hand him the ball against wake to win a damn series for 4 innings and 60 pitches? That's out the door, man. If we get to Sunday and are spent on arms it's going to be so damn frustrating

He'd have three full days of rest after only throwing 80 pitches. It's a glorified bullpen session which he's done all year. MLB dudes make full starts in the postseason on three days rest. If I were Avent, I woulda pulled him an inning earlier to save 15 pitches or so, but 1-2 innings on Sunday is completely doable.

He's done it twice. BC and ND. 2.2 innings, 6 hits, 2 walks.

40 is a glorified bullpen. 82 in a tournament is not
Slobbering_Wolf
This game just won't end smh
boguesound
Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

We have evidence. He's done it twice in conference off a midweek start. Both bad appearances against bad teams.

So it could never happen because of those two examples? Kid's talented. I think he could rise to the occasion.
pack2010
phew. some things are tough to watch.
wilmwolf
Come on guys, get an out. Pushing four hours for a game that doesn't mean anything even has me tired of watching.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Alex Gee
Staff
boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

So it could never happen because of those two examples? Kid's talented. I think he could rise to the occasion.

Yeah that would be great. Trust me, there's not a higher state baseball fan/optimist around than me.

This was idiotic. You can remove hope from the equation if he throws 40 pitches.
FlockaWolf
wilmwolf said:

Pinch hitting for a guy in his last college game down 12? That's kinda weird.

0-4 with 4 K's so maybe just saving him from 5 K's in his final game
BigLefty24
Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

40 pitches on Sunday is a glorified bullpen, which is my point. It's completely doable. 2 innings of history this season doesn't mean squat.

I can only imagine the outcry if Avent had trotted out some no name dude tonight and we got beat by Va Tech.. then followed up that with a loss to a really good Duke team. 0-2 in pool play and losing a chance to host a regional . Folks would have lost their mind.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Alex Gee
Staff
BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

40 pitches on Sunday is a glorified bullpen, which is my point. It's completely doable. 2 innings of history this season doesn't mean squat.

I can only imagine the outcry if Avent had trotted out some no name dude tonight and we got beat by Va Tech.. then followed up that with a loss to a really good Duke team. 0-2 in pool play and losing a chance to host a regional . Folks would have lost their mind.

So what's the outcry when we are 3 innings short on Sunday and get a 9 seed instead of an 8 and miss out on another title?
boguesound
Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Yeah that would be great. Trust me, there's not a higher state baseball fan/optimist around than me.

This was idiotic. You can remove hope from the equation if he throws 40 pitches.

Cool. A lot of people here love State. Also already said I thought he went too long.
Alex Gee
Staff
boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Cool. A lot of people here love State. Also already said I thought he went too long.

That's not what I said ha. You only love the hitters up to Cozart though lol.
BigLefty24
Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

So what's the outcry when we are 3 innings short on Sunday and get a 9 seed instead of an 8 and miss out on another title?

go 0-2 and you're possibly looking at not getting a top 16 seed. Worry about Sunday if/when Sunday gets here. If it comes to that, I can guarantee you he will be available to pitch. Seems like you're just looking a reason to be mad .
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Alex Gee
Staff
BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

go 0-2 and you're possibly looking at not getting a top 16 seed. Worry about Sunday if/when Sunday gets here. If it comes to that, I can guarantee you he will be available to pitch. Seems like you're just looking a reason to be mad .

Lol if you met me you'd know I'm never looking for reasons to be mad. I want state to win a title. The top 16 is a lock and was a lock regardless.

NCSUWolfPack92
BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

Not even remotely close. The pitches warming up to throw 40 pitches on Sunday is the bullpen. Add in that it's likely a high leverage moment for an ACC championship? Yeah not comparable.

I get starting Marohn. But pull him after 3 innings and 40 pitches and you're already up.
boguesound
Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Stand by it. Like Butterworth as a 7-hole guy, certainly not 5. He's hitting .230. I love Luke. Sosa's going to be a stud, and he's coming on but isn't there yet. Don't really like what Chase brings. Soles was hurt, but the reality is he's hitting .220. So, yea, that 5-9 feels like too much of a dropoff for me from the top half. They're getting better though, and there's a lot of potential with Sosa and Luke.

Alex Gee
Staff
boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Stand by it. Like Butterworth as a 7-hole guy, certainly not 5. He's hitting .230. I love Luke. Sosa's going to be a stud, and he's coming on but isn't there yet. Don't really like what Chase brings. Soles was hurt, but the reality is he's hitting .220. So, yea, that 5-9 feels like too much of a dropoff for me from the top half. They're getting better though, and there's a lot of potential with Sosa and Luke.

There it is!
BigLefty24
Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

Lol if you met me you'd know I'm never looking for reasons to be mad. I want state to win a title. The top 16 is a lock and was a lock regardless.

I dont think a top 16 was a lock with an 0-2 showing.

you're making some crazy assumptions based on 2 innings he threw TWO MONTHS ago. If he's needed on Sunday to win a championship, he'll be available.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

boguesound
Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

There it is!

Sure is
Wolfpacker009
Must be post season. The takes are fire. Keep it up fellas!
Alex Gee
Staff
I just cannot see how it's controversial or disagreeable to have wanted Marohn out with that lead at pitch 45. Blowing my mind a bit.
boguesound
Certainly agree with you on that point.
ClePack
Highfill is starting vs duke. Who is starting for duke?
CLTWolf
Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

There it is!
Butters is hitting .304 over the last month, Sosa is hitting .375 in that same timeframe and both have hit 4 bombs. Just some data for the counting stat fanatics out there.

Soles gets on base a ton with 9 BBs and getting hit by 4 pitches as well since he's come back from surgery. He might be hitting .220 but he gets on base more than just about anyone else on team since he's come back earlier this month and when he gets on base he's scoring almost 40% of the time. Get on base, score runs. Seems important to me.

In the no biggest no sht comment of the day, batting average doesn't tell anything close to the whole story.

But this is a helluva argument after scoring 19 runs and that part of the lineup going 7-23 on the night. ha
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Alex Gee
Staff
ClePack said:

Highfill is starting vs duke. Who is starting for duke?

They're going to use Andrew Healy and Kyle Johnson.

ETA: Healy was the winning pitcher in our loss. Johnson we didn't see but was all acc freshman team. 2 way player
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

Tom OBriens Smile said:

I don't really get the complaints, this game is only meaningless as it relates to this tournament. I'd say it's definitely important if we want to try and sneak in the Top 8 National Seeds and you see a lot of other top teams losing to aid that effort. Would've preferred to get Marohn after 4 but even so, it isn't the end of the world.

This game has absolutely nothing to do with us getting a top 8. Winning an ACC championship would. And I'd rather have the full stable to do that.

Eh go win the game. No time to take your foot off the gas
BigLefty24
hell, I watched Jonathan Morgan throw 180 pitches over 12 2/3 innings for Mount Olive in the conference tournament against Barton in 1998. Carl Lancaster finally pulled him with two outs in the 13th. Relief pitcher came in threw one pitch, got a ground out for the third out. Mount Olive scored in the bottom of the 13th to win.

Starting pitchers goes 12 2/3 with 180 pitches, gets a no decision.

Relief pitcher throws one pitch and got the win.

Imagine that bus ride home.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

Dude calm down. We have enough arms to get through 3 games without Marohn.
Alex Gee
Staff
StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

Dude calm down. We have enough arms to get through 3 games without Marohn.

How many times did we do that in the acc?

I can not believe it's controversial to want to have Marohn fresh for 4 innings!
WilsonWolf
Having Friday off definitely helps. Hopefully Highfill gives you length and then you have Dudan and Smith to go to. Fritton/Consiglio Saturday (One of Dudan/Smith would likely be available again) and then Whit and the other of Dudan/Smith Sunday. Fill in any gaps with the several other guys who can get outs. We're still in good shape but I agree it would be nice if Marohn was fresh. But whoever we play Sunday will be light on arms too. Just gotta score runs.
Pack31
Bcwhitl2 said:

I do know one thing, no matter how state played it tonight there would be people outraged in this forum one way or another haha

Cant argue that
Pack31
Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

Brother, I love your input on here regularly l, but that horse is dead. Let it go. Nothing is conventional in post season baseball. Avent felt we needed a win and we threw out typical mid week starter. It worked out. Now let's beat duke or none of this matters.
PKAwolfpacker
Would we advance if the game is rained out?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.