#Pack9 @ Georgia Tech 3/15-17 (5-8 loss) (7-8 loss) (5-15 Loss)

9,029 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by StateFan2001
pack2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

PossumJenkins said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

This pitching staff continues this way, we won't even make a regional......quite possibly the worst in the ACC

Probably oughta just cancel the season now really

I love punishment so I'll still sit through every game, it's a shame though, you put up 7 runs in a baseball game, you should feel safe to win that game, the last 4 games it's.....16,18,8, and 8.....that's HORRIBLE

I hate to tell you this, that's the entire ACC right now. Win the 9th right here

May have to do some research but don't think every ACC team has given up 50 runs in the last 4 games

I'm just telling you dude. 8-10 is the norm in ACC series this season. And there's been some blowups.

12th in the league in ERA coming into today. and it didn't go down. 10th in BAA. Last in walks per 9.
kmb717
That's about as bad of a loss as you can have for mid March. Really bad.
Alex Gee
Staff
pack2010 said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

PossumJenkins said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

This pitching staff continues this way, we won't even make a regional......quite possibly the worst in the ACC

I love punishment so I'll still sit through every game, it's a shame though, you put up 7 runs in a baseball game, you should feel safe to win that game, the last 4 games it's.....16,18,8, and 8.....that's HORRIBLE

I hate to tell you this, that's the entire ACC right now. Win the 9th right here

May have to do some research but don't think every ACC team has given up 50 runs in the last 4 games

I'm just telling you dude. 8-10 is the norm in ACC series this season. And there's been some blowups.

12th in the league in ERA coming into today. and it didn't go down. 10th in BAA. Last in walks per 9.

I like conference only stats for one thing and they're pretty worthless when some teams have still only played one game. That said, the box you quoted of mine is still true lol. Nobody is pitching well in this league. Games are slugfests everywhere and we need to capitalize with RISP better.
Alex Gee
Staff
kmb717 said:

ClePack
pack2010 said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

PossumJenkins said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

The walks have really killed us. Doesn't seem like this is going to be magically remedied, either.
kmb717
Alex Gee said:

kmb717 said:

Yes I know we started 1-9 in 2021. This one just feels really soul crushing for some reason.
Wolfer79
Bobby Zmarzlak's go-ahead three-run homer erased Georgia Tech's two-run deficit in the bottom of the eighth as the Yellow Jackets defeated NC State 8-7 on Saturday at Russ Chandler Stadium.

NC State (12-5, 3-2 ACC) dropped its first series of the season as the Yellow Jackets flipped a 7-3 deficit in the seventh inning into an 8-7 comeback victory. Despite a pair of hard-hit outs to open the ninth, Georgia Tech (14-4, 2-0 ACC) retired the Wolfpack in order to seal the series victory.

Georgia Tech struck first behind Cam Jones' RBI single, scoring Payton Green from second base after a leadoff double down the left-field line. Wolfpack starting pitcher Logan Whitaker limited the damage in the Yellow Jackets' second frame with an unassisted double play from third baseman Alec Makarewicz. Makarewicz gloved a line drive from Zmarzlak before tagging out Jones who was breaking for third base on the pitch.

NC State needed just one batter to match Georgia Tech's tally from the second when Luke Nixon crushed a solo homer down the right-field line to knot the score at 1-1. Nixon's game-tying shot came on a 3-1 pitch in his first at-bat of the week after missing the past two games due to injury.

Georgia Tech freshman Drew Burress answered Nixon's homer with a solo home run of his own, driving a solo shot to center field with two outs in the bottom of the third. Burress' homer re-established the Jackets' lead at 2-1.

The Wolfpack took its first lead with three runs in the top of the fourth. The Pack built its 4-2 lead behind back-to-back singles from Jacob Cozart and Alex Sosa to open the inning before Eli Serrano III was hit by a pitch to load the bases with nobody out. Brandon Butterworth drew a bases-loaded walk to tie the score at 2-2.

Two pitches later, Georgia Tech starter Aeden Finateri exited the game after opening the ensuing at-bat to Noah Soles with back-to-back balls. The Wolfpack scored two off Yellow Jackets' reliever Michal Kovala behind RBI groundouts from Soles and Luke Nixon.

Whitaker capped off a scoreless fourth frame with his seventh strikeout, maintaining the Pack's two-run cushion at 4-2. NC State then extended its lead to 6-2 on a two-run error by Georgia Tech third baseman Carson Kerce in the fifth. Kerce's error with two outs in the fifth allowed Cozart and Makarewicz to score to make it five unanswered runs for the Wolfpack.

Kerce opened the bottom of the fifth with a solo homer to right field, trimming the Jackets' deficit to 6-3.

NC State missed an opportunity to answer Kerce's solo shot in the top of the sixth as the Yellow Jackets used a 6-4-3 ground-ball double play to end a bases-loaded, one-out Wolfpack threat in the sixth. The Wolfpack, however, re-established its four-run advantage with two outs in the seventh behind Butterworth's RBI double down the left-field line. After back-to-back flyouts to open the inning, Serrano III dropped down a bunt single to beat the shift before Butterworth roped his RBI double on the next pitch to make it 7-3 Wolfpack.

Burress homered for the second time Saturday to cut the Pack's lead to 7-5 in the bottom of the seventh. Georgia Tech then retook the lead when Zmarzlak's three-run home run just creeped over the 334-foot sign in right field, giving the Yellow Jackets an 8-7 advantage in the eighth.

Pennington paced the Wolfpack with a two-hit performance, while Butterworth and Luke Nixon each tallied two RBI apiece.

Wolfpack reliever Jacob Dudan (2-1) suffered the first loss of his collegiate career, while Yellow Jackets' relief pitcher Brett Thomas (1-0) notched his first victory of the season.

UP NEXT
NC State closes out its first ACC road series of the season Sunday. First pitch is set for 1 p.m. and will be broadcasted on ACC Network Extra.

https://gopack.com/news/2024/3/16/baseball-pack9-falls-8-7-at-georgia-tech-on-saturday
Wolfer79
North Carolina State at Georgia Tech ACC Network Extra, 1 p.m.
Wolfer79
JCooke93
Pitch calling has to be better that's all there is to it
engineercoach
Really need to get this one today
Slobbering_Wolf
6-0 in the 3rd.....good gracious smh
Lsnoel3
Pitching struggles are getting ridiculous. Hope they can figure it out or it is going to be a long season.
JCooke93
No words
StateFan2001
Yep just not good enough on the bump so far this season. Have to get much better quickly.
65Pack
All the baseball people tells us don't worry pitching is in a good place. I suggest don't listen to those baseball people.
ClePack
Lost 15 to 5. This is not a serious pitching staff at the moment. wow
65Pack
As of March 17th this team has a lot of issues.
I40Wolf
65Pack said:

As of March 17th this team has a lot of issues.
I'm willing to give them a couple more series, but yeah.
kbdavis33
Slobbering_Wolf said:

Are we still thinking pitching isn't an issue?

Depends on who's answering the question
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
The NC State baseball team dropped its series finale 15-5 at Georgia Tech on Sunday afternoon at Russ Chandler Stadium.

Georgia Tech (15-4, 3-0 ACC) completed the three-game sweep and never trailed in Sunday's finale in Atlanta. The Yellow Jackets scored three runs apiece in the first and second frames to build an early 6-0 lead.

NC State (12-6, 3-3 ACC) got on the board with a run in the top of the fourth when Brandon Butterworth lifted a sacrifice fly to left field, scoring Alex Sosa after he reached via a fielder's choice.

The Yellow Jackets extended their lead to 8-1 behind Payton Green's two-RBI double in the bottom of the fourth. Georgia Tech tacked on another run in the fifth to stretch its lead to 10-1.

Jacob Cozart and Sosa recorded back-to-back two-RBI extra-base hits to cut the Yellow Jackets' advantage to 10-5 in the top of the seventh. Cozart ripped a two-out RBI double down the right-field line to plate Alec Makarewicz and Garrett Pennington to make it 10-3. Sosa then crushed the first homer of his collegiate career with a two-run shot to right field.

Georgia Tech walked it off in run-rule fashion in the bottom of the seventh with a five-run inning. Cam Jones recorded a walk-off single to shallow center field for the series' final hit.

P.J. Labriola tossed a pair of scoreless frames out of the bullpen, not allowing a hit with a pair of strikeouts in his fourth appearance of the season.

Georgia Tech starting pitcher Logan McGuire (2-0) earned the win after tossing 5.0 innings while allowing just one run with five strikeouts. Wolfpack starting pitcher Dominic Fritton (1-1) suffered the loss.

UP NEXT
NC State plays the next four back home at Doak Field at Dail Park, opening the four-game set with a midweek matchup against No. 16 Coastal Carolina on Tuesday. Tuesday night's first pitch is set for 6 p.m. and will be streamed live on ACC Network Extra.

https://gopack.com/news/2024/3/17/baseball-wolfpack-drops-series-finale-at-georgia-tech
Borowolf10
Wolfer79 said:

Clint Chrysler stealing money still.
Pack31
We won the acc basketball tourney. Hell I forgot we played baseball today lol. Glad I did. Shoo
M_A
Avent picked a good weekend to get his ass handed to him
"It's ACC Championship or bust, quite honestly"
pantherpack
Rough weekend for baseball. We gotta figure things out real quick with Coastal and Duke coming to the Doak this week. It won't get any easier.
StateFan2001
Not much to lean on from a pitching perspective right now. We have veterans in the rotation that have been up and down for the most part and then a whole bunch of unproven arms in the bullpen that are mostly struggling with a couple of bright spots.
I like the offense for the most part and I think we are good enough defensively. Just got to figure out the pitching piece and pretty quickly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.