Baseball Series vs VCU Thread (2/16-18) (6-1 W) (6-9 L) (5-3 W)

14,712 Views | 212 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by wilmwolf
Alex Gee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Alex Gee said:

VCU has some gazelles in the outfield.

Evergreen. They've been unreal out there.
Slobbering_Wolf
VCU outfield is impressive
CLTWolf
Alex Gee said:

Alex Gee said:

VCU has some gazelles in the outfield.

Evergreen. They've been unreal out there.
Yeah. Dude just covered some serious ground on that last one. Very impressed with their OF.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Slobbering_Wolf
Terrible call
wilmwolf
Why on earth did that take so long?
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
wilmwolf
Good to see that Budrovich still has absolutely no idea what aviator sunglasses actually are.
rangerA
Jaxon Lucas is dealing…. Not Heath Andrews
wilmwolf
I don't know how many chains are too many, but Lucas has too many.
Alex Gee
Staff
Tough finish there for Jaxon, but really happy that he pitched well. Deserves it
Alex Gee
Staff
Did he do any research before stepping into the booth?
ChemE94
Many we have stranded a boatload of runners the past two days....
CLTWolf
Whoever unplugged the replay TV, good on ya. haha

Homeboy was safe as hell.
ChemE94
CLTWolf said:

Whoever unplugged the replay TV, good on ya. haha

Homeboy was safe as hell.
Was typing up the same thing! Good to get the win today - lot's to work on, and lot's to work with for sure this year!!
Glasswolf
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

wilmwolf
Congrats coach!
TraCha4
Congrats Coach on 1,000 wins !!!!
Nairo
Impressive accomplishment for Avent considering most of his tenure our facilities would be substandard for a prison yard
Wolfer79
Behind the Wolfpack's 5-3 series-clinching victory over VCU on Sunday, NC State head coach Elliott Avent captured his 1,000th win as the Pack's skipper. The 28-year NC State head coach becomes just the fifth active head coach in Division I baseball and the 35th qualifying Division I head coach (active or inactive) to reach 1,000 wins at one school.

Avent's 1,000th win as NC State's head coach came behind a dominant debut from freshman left-hander Ryan Marohn, who tossed five scoreless innings with eight strikeouts. Avent's first NC State squad in 1997 helped him post his first Wolfpack win 9,864 days ago with a 6-0 shutout victory over Charleston Southern.

NC State built an early 3-0 lead over the first three frames. Josh Hogue's RBI groundout in the bottom of the second gave the Wolfpack a 1-0 lead. NC State then posted a two-spot in the bottom of the third, scoring both its runs with two outs in the frame. Hogue smacked an RBI single to center field to make it 2-0 before Luke Nixon notched his first-career hit and RBI to extend the lead to 3-0.

Marohn struck out Rams' right fielder Aden Hill on three pitches to escape a bases-loaded situation in the top of the fifth. The strikeout marked his eighth of the afternoon on his 89th and final pitch of his collegiate debut.

Drew Lanphere stretched the Pack's lead to 4-0 with an RBI single in the fifth. Lanphere's second hit of the afternoon also marked his first-career RBI.

VCU and NC State traded runs in the sixth inning before the Rams' Nic Ericsson led off the top of the seventh with a solo homer to left field, trimming the Pack's lead to 5-2. Freshman Jaxon Lucas entered for the Wolfpack following Ericsson's solo shot and tossed a scoreless frame, notching his first-career strikeout.

The Rams drew another run closer with a solo shot from Ethan Iannuzzi with two outs in the eighth inning. Freshman Jacob Dudan then entered with the tying run at the plate in the frame, shaking off a hit batter before striking out VCU leadoff batter Casey Kleinman to end the threat.

Brandon Butterworth and Matt Heavner combined for a 6-4-3 double play to retire the first two outs of the ninth inning before a groundout secured a series victory for the Wolfpack. Dudan's scoreless 1.1 innings of work earned him his first-career save.

Garrett Pennington paced the Wolfpack with a three-hit performance, while Eli Serrano III and Lanphere each registered two hits apiece.

The freshman pitching trio of Marohn, Lucas and Dudan combined to pitch eight innings while allowing just one run with 12 strikeouts.

VCU starting pitcher Zachary Peters suffered the loss for the Rams after allowing three runs (one earned) over three innings of work.

UP NEXT
NC State heads to Hawaii for its first road series of the 2024 season, opening a three-game set against the Rainbow Warriors on Friday at Les Murakami Stadium. First pitch is set for 11:35 p.m. ET and will be televised on Spectrum Sports and streamed live on ESPN+.

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/18/baseball-elliott-avent-wins-1-000th-game-at-nc-state-in-series-clinching-victory-over-vcu
I40Wolf
Does anyone know if the 1,000 win tribute that was on the scoreboard will be posted?
Wolfer79
I40Wolf said:

Does anyone know if the 1,000 win tribute that was on the scoreboard will be posted?
I would think it would be on GOpack.com and Athletics department youtube channel in next few days
I just looked on both and not yet
Glasswolf
I40Wolf said:

Even got a Russell Wilson appearance.

Glasswolf

pack2010
overall, solid weekend. pitched well except 1 inning really. booted the ball around in game 2, but clean D overall. swing and miss stuff from our pitchers and only 10 Ks in 3 games from our offense.

the offense will take some tinkering, imo, but the pieces are there to be good. missed out on a few chances for some crooked numbers, which would have changed the optics some. this weekend proved there was more depth than initially thought. Hawaii is up on ole miss right now, looking to split a 4 game series, so that is going to be a tough series.
Borowolf10
Really impressed with the young pitchers we have.
FlockaWolf
DanielWilsonIPS
FlockaWolf said:

Well, damn… Impressive. Hopefully Atlanta works out well for him in the long term.
Daniel Wilson
Staff Writer, IPS
Producer, Learfield
NCBWA Member
StateFan2001
Slobbering_Wolf said:

Big missed opportunity there, may need to think about dropping Serrano down some of this keeps up, not a great first weekend at the plate for Eli
lol; track record matters in baseball. You don't make knee jerk reactions off a single series of baseball when you have watched this guy all his freshman year and from Septermber up until now with fall and spring workouts.
StateFan2001
wilmwolf said:

Neither one of these dudes have realized that Heavner is in at 2nd after he's fielded three balls already this inning.
yeah that was bizarre.
StateFan2001
The young arms look impressive, but we are going to have to live with some command issues from time to time I would imagine (sans maybe Marohn). We didn't see Mako, but from everything I have heard he is another guy with electric stuff but can struggle to locate at times.

By the way, I expected a little more out of Fanning from a stuff perspective. Didn't look like a late inning guy to me on first look.
Alex Gee
Staff
FlockaWolf said:

I think I've seen this movie?
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

FlockaWolf said:

The guy, offensively has all the talent in the world. As we know, baseball is 50% mental. It will depend whether he can keep things right in his head.
Slobbering_Wolf
StateFan2001 said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

Big missed opportunity there, may need to think about dropping Serrano down some of this keeps up, not a great first weekend at the plate for Eli
lol; track record matters in baseball. You don't make knee jerk reactions off a single series of baseball when you have watched this guy all his freshman year and from Septermber up until now with fall and spring workouts.

No knee jerk, we will see how he does in the coming weeks, never said to bench him, only move him down from the 2 hole
wilmwolf
Alex Gee said:

FlockaWolf said:

The preview looks similar, but there's been a costume change.
CLTWolf
Alex Gee said:

FlockaWolf said:

He only had one error last weekend so that's progress. I seriously hope he's got it figured out, very talented kid.
CLTWolf
Slobbering_Wolf said:

StateFan2001 said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

No knee jerk, we will see how he does in the coming weeks, never said to bench him, only move him down from the 2 hole
Moving him down the order after the first weekend definitely qualifies as a knee jerk reaction.

He'll be fine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.