Dedicated Tommy White Thread (Transfers to LSU)

48,459 Views | 352 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCooke93
EthanBarry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
kmb717 said:

IronWolf24 said:

This could also be Avent graciously trying to save Tommy some heat.
My thinking as well
wolfman18
wilmwolf80 said:

I've shared this thought with a few others privately, but since it's a done deal now I'll post it here. During the ACC tournament game when they were interviewing Tommy's parents, the reporter asked his dad if he was excited because Tommy had hit three homers already, and his dad's response was something like that he was just glad he was making contact after going 0-4 the first game. It really struck me, because it reminded me of all the overbearing baseball dads I remembered from when I played. Your kid is breaking the all time record for freshman homers and that's what you are thinking about? In retrospect, their demeanor during that interview was telling. Just seemed odd.
I remember so many hardcore dads from when I was a kid into high school. Love my dad, but he was a big reason I decided to stop playing when I was in HS.
tgmoseley
My daughter saying "bye tommy tanks" tonight
Bell Tower Grey
TraCha4 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

TraCha4 said:

Wow- this is juicy. I definitely want ALL the details now! Let us in.
Why? It's not going to change anything. Besides, it's none of our business.

And, with all due respect, your comment sounds like some busybody woman with nothing better to do.

"Busybody women with nothing better to do"

With all due respect I'm not the one with over 6,000 post.
Being semi-retired has its advantages, tiger.
Bell Tower Grey
Borowolf10 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

TraCha4 said:

And, with all due respect, your comment sounds like some busybody woman with nothing better to do.

None of our business? Who are you Tommy's daddy? Get out of here with this high and mighty nonsense. We want to know what's going on.
Nope, I'm not his daddy; thankfully not yours either, I hope.

Nothing high and mighty. The fact is, their business is just that, their business. Wanna know it all is part of the problem with society today.

It'd be no different if your wife / husband was banging the mailman / mailwoman. I'd imagine your friends and neighbors would want to be all about what's going on at your house, when the truth is, it's none of their business.

It's tnat simple.
Borowolf10
Bell Tower Grey said:

Borowolf10 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

TraCha4 said:

None of our business? Who are you Tommy's daddy? Get out of here with this high and mighty nonsense. We want to know what's going on.
Nope, I'm not his daddy; thankfully not yours either, I hope.

Nothing high and mighty. The fact is, their business is just that, their business. Wanna know it all is part of the problem with society today.

It'd be no different if your wife / husband was banging the mailman / mailwoman. I'd imagine your friends and neighbors would want to be all about what's going on at your house, when the truth is, it's none of their business.

It's tnat simple.

Buddy you're right. I don't ever want to know what happened. Congratulations you solved all of society's ills by not asking any questions. Brilliant.
BobbyCox95
This thread is officially off the rails. We just compared Tommy transferring to someone's wife banging the mailman lolol
Borowolf10
BobbyCox95 said:

This thread is officially off the rails. We just compared Tommy transferring to someone's wife banging the mailman lolol

"It's tnat simple" duh, don't you see what kind of enlightened individual we are dealing with here?
SniderFC
BobbyCox95 said:

Reading between the lines here…obviously Tommy was banging the mailman's wife and had to get out of town. It all make sense now.
Jtilley
WolfpackJack69 said:

I don't think Villaman regressed. It just shows us how good Evan Justice was as the closer last year.
I got drug through the mud for saying this on here and the other site at the beginning of the year but I feel like Villiman should have been in the rotation. Closer doesn't mean much if you can't get him the ball and I guarantee he will start until he proves he can't in pro ball.
Bell Tower Grey
Enlightened has nothing to do with it. Some of us don't care because it really is not anyone's business except theirs. Damn shame you can't grasp that. Even more so that you're about to piss your pants wanting to know.
Frankcal20
wolfman18 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I've shared this thought with a few others privately, but since it's a done deal now I'll post it here. During the ACC tournament game when they were interviewing Tommy's parents, the reporter asked his dad if he was excited because Tommy had hit three homers already, and his dad's response was something like that he was just glad he was making contact after going 0-4 the first game. It really struck me, because it reminded me of all the overbearing baseball dads I remembered from when I played. Your kid is breaking the all time record for freshman homers and that's what you are thinking about? In retrospect, their demeanor during that interview was telling. Just seemed odd.
I remember so many hardcore dads from when I was a kid into high school. Love my dad, but he was a big reason I decided to stop playing when I was in HS.

I have two daughters who play travel sports (soccer 10 yr old and volleyball 12 yr old). I tell them all the time that this is THEIR sports journey. Not mine and while me watching them play and helping them improve is one of my favorite things, I'll never push them so hard they dislike it. I'll also never focus on the negative. I have a personal rule that I was told early on that most kids quit playing sports because of one thing. The ride home with their parents after a game. Sure we all want our kids to be the very best. Be better than we were but to do that, they need to have two things:

1. Drive. The best athletes work their butts off when their coach isn't around. They're outside working on a move in soccer. Perfecting a set in volleyball. Getting in layups and free throws, etc. As Mike Tysons coach said one time to Mike "If you decide you don't want to work more its ok. Just know your opponent is." I'm paraphrasing but you get the point.
2. Lots of luck and good genes. Let's be honest. Your kid can have one of the prettiest passes full of touch, anticipation, etc but if your kid is 5'7 and a senior in high school, it isn't gonna happen.

I say all of this to as a friendly reminder to those of us who have kids who play sports. Be your kids biggest supporter. Push them gently when they need a nudge and be there to listen them vent with no response. The best thing you can do is make sure that you're there for them. And this advice applies to not just sports but life in general. For me, it's no judgement. I want them to fail and fail often. You learn so much more in life through failure than success and why not fail young and early when you have a soft landing and big support system.

For Tommy, his Dad has probably pushed and pushed and pushed and helped him get to where he is today. With that said, he's probably the #1 reason Tommy is in this position he is in now. And that is VERY unfortunate for him if it's like I expect.
Tootie4Pack
tgmoseley said:

My daughter saying "bye tommy tanks" tonight

The picture of your daughter on here made clicking on this topic worth it.
tgmoseley
Thank you! She is turning 2 Monday and already a huge Wolfpack fan. I told her Tommy Tanks is leaving the Wolfpack today and she said "no no"! We can't wait for football season!
CLTWolf
Jtilley said:

WolfpackJack69 said:

I don't think Villaman regressed. It just shows us how good Evan Justice was as the closer last year.
I got drug through the mud for saying this on here and the other site at the beginning of the year but I feel like Villiman should have been in the rotation. Closer doesn't mean much if you can't get him the ball and I guarantee he will start until he proves he can't in pro ball.
He got the ball 28 times (tops on the team, tied for 4th most in the league) and was 2nd in the league (top 20 nationally) in saves with 11. I'd say he got the ball, plenty. We were 20-8 when he pitched.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
wofpac
Bell Tower Grey said:

Enlightened has nothing to do with it. Some of us don't care because it really is not anyone's business except theirs. Damn shame you can't grasp that. Even more so that you're about to piss your pants wanting to know.
There is some difference here. By coming to our team, he rightfully expected and received our financial and
emotional( fan ) support. He invested in us, we invested in him. A relationship was established as opposed
to the neighbor banging the mailman. Based on this, it seems an explanation by his camp would be a gesture of respect. I think we, the fans, supported him well enough to be granted that morsel.
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

Jtilley said:

WolfpackJack69 said:

He got the ball 28 times (tops on the team, tied for 4th most in the league) and was 2nd in the league (top 20 nationally) in saves with 11. I'd say he got the ball, plenty. We were 20-8 when he pitched.
55 innings pitched though.

We're splitting hairs here, I like having a high leverage guy but I just like the idea of him pitching 6-7 innings on a Friday or Saturday more.
Pack9RVA
He caught a good dose of Wolfpack during basketball season. And he's ALL in for football. We're going to make it down for his first game this year, he's stoked.
hokiewolf
EthanBarry said:

kmb717 said:

IronWolf24 said:

My thinking as well
Joe also has had a great relation with EA. I think Joe jumped the gun and regretted it. He's not in the business of burning bridges
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
SportManagementEngineer
hokiewolf said:

EthanBarry said:

kmb717 said:

IronWolf24 said:

My thinking as well
Joe also has had a great relation with EA. I think Joe jumped the gun and regretted it. He's not in the business of burning bridges
Yup. And EA has been surprisingly quiet since Monday, unless I missed a presser.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
BP Cox
Staff
SportManagementEngineer said:

hokiewolf said:

EthanBarry said:

kmb717 said:

IronWolf24 said:

My thinking as well
Yup. And EA has been surprisingly quiet since Monday, unless I missed a presser.
EA is already focused on improving the roster and I'm sure taking a step back after the way the season wrapped up. He deserves a breather.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
toddl
Staff
wolf01 said:

GopherPack said:

This is a crock of ***** NC is a no report state, so the athletes don't have to report anything to the school. These numbers are WAY off. We are much higher. Just an example of lazy journalism.
Sorry, little grumpy this morning
That and making sure they paint us in as negative of a light as possible. So all our athletes have earned $35k total? Ok...
They said as much in the article. 4th paragraph:

Quote:

Through May 19, N.C. State athletes reported to the school 80 transactions worth $35,385.88. The reporting of name, image and likeness agreements at N.C. State is "expected," according to guidance issued to student-athletes, but it is not required by the institution, the NCAA or the state. N.C. State officials don't think all NIL deals are being reported to the school.
Pack87
Really bothers me the way people just say the kids should be able to do what they want. This mind set is what is hurting society right now. No accountability or consequences for decisions made. Often when you make decisions they lock you into a path for a period of time.

Should you be required to go to a school you don't want to, of course not, but if they invested in you and supported you then there may be some pain/consequence for just severing the relationship. Pro athletes are eventually allowed to move, but they have to put in their time (contract period) or sit out and not get paid. The sitting a year in college makes since (maybe their should be more relief for coaching changes and hardship situations).

I fully expect the bigger programs to start limiting recruiting out of high school and then going in and poaching successful freshman and sophomores to fill out their rosters and depth charts. Imagine Alabama coming in a taking Leary or Kansas/Duke taking T. Smith. This is where we are headed. My understanding was the Tommy might have been a FSU fan or at least supporter and they didn't really recruit him now he wants to go back and play with his friends. Well what if 3 kids play basketball on the same AAU team and two are 5 stars that go to UNC and the 3rd is a 3 star and comes here. Then after a year or two the 3 star blows up and says I want to go to UNC and play with my buddies. You can't have the door that wide open.
BobbyCox95
Pack87 said:

Really bothers me the way people just say the kids should be able to do what they want. This mind set is what is hurting society right now. No accountability or consequences for decisions made. Often when you make decisions they lock you into a path for a period of time.

Should you be required to go to a school you don't want to, of course not, but if they invested in you and supported you then there may be some pain/consequence for just severing the relationship. Pro athletes are eventually allowed to move, but they have to put in their time (contract period) or sit out and not get paid. The sitting a year in college makes since (maybe their should be more relief for coaching changes and hardship situations).

I fully expect the bigger programs to start limiting recruiting out of high school and then going in and poaching successful freshman and sophomores to fill out their rosters and depth charts. Imagine Alabama coming in a taking Leary or Kansas/Duke taking T. Smith. This is where we are headed. My understanding was the Tommy might have been a FSU fan or at least supporter and they didn't really recruit him now he wants to go back and play with his friends. Well what if 3 kids play basketball on the same AAU team and two are 5 stars that go to UNC and the 3rd is a 3 star and comes here. Then after a year or two the 3 star blows up and says I want to go to UNC and play with my buddies. You can't have the door that wide open.
James is right. Just reimplement the sit out rule and alot of these issues go away. It would have prevented Tommy from leaving.
James Henderson
Staff
BobbyCox95 said:

Pack87 said:

James is right. Just reimplement the sit out rule and alot of these issues go away. It would have prevented Tommy from leaving.
IMO it's that simple.
CLTWolf
BobbyCox95 said:

Pack87 said:

It wouldn't prevent him from leaving but it would prevent him from going to FSU, immediately. He probably leaves and goes to one of the million FL JUCOs that are down there, plays for a season and gets drafted.
BobbyCox95
CLTWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Pack87 said:

It wouldn't prevent him from leaving but it would prevent him from going to FSU, immediately. He probably leaves and goes to one of the million FL JUCOs that are down there, plays for a season and gets drafted.
Maybe but I thought his reason for leaving was to be with his buddies at fsu?
CLTWolf
BobbyCox95 said:

CLTWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Pack87 said:

https://www.tcceagles.com/sports/bsb/index to be near friends

https://athletics.spcollege.edu/sports/bsb/index to be near family
https://www.scfmanatees.com/sports/bsb/index
https://bobcats.phsc.edu/sports/baseball

I can go on and on. I wasn't kidding when I said there's a ton of good JUCO programs in FL that will get him close to home/friends if he had to sit out.

BobbyCox95
CLTWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

CLTWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Pack87 said:

All speculation at this point. Guess we'll never know. My guess would be if the sit-out rule still existed, he'd be playing in Raleigh next year.
CLTWolf
BobbyCox95 said:

CLTWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

CLTWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Pack87 said:

All speculation at this point. Guess we'll never know. My guess would be if the sit-out rule still existed, he'd be playing in Raleigh next year.
100% speculation, you're right.

Although a big chunk of me thinks he woulda gone the JUCO route to get closer to home and drafted quicker.
griff17matt
David Hale quote tweeted my reply to his wrongness with a CLT response and I think I've reached Twitter Nirvana or a blackhole...not sure which yet. Is this the singularity?
BigLefty24
James Henderson said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Pack87 said:

IMO it's that simple.

I've been saying that since the NIL was passed.

Being immediately eligible if you transfer is stupid enough, and then you go and compound it with free agency bidding wars.

The no sit exemption should be only for graduate students and kids that are part of a program with a head coaching change. Everything else should require a one year sit.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

wilmwolf
Has there been an actual statement from Tommy yet that I've missed? That's the part that is really rubbing me wrong. I'll never begrudge a guy doing what they think is best for themselves, but some sort of thank you and acknowledgement of the fans that supported him tremendously should've happened pretty quickly after the news broke IMO.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Glasswolf
wilmwolf80 said:

Has there been an actual statement from Tommy yet that I've missed? That's the part that is really rubbing me wrong. I'll never begrudge a guy doing what they think is best for themselves, but some sort of thank you and acknowledgement of the fans that supported him tremendously should've happened pretty quickly after the news broke IMO.
No
cowboypack02
Glasswolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

No
Has anyone actually heard from him or anything along those lines? Figured that we would hear something that wasn't second hand

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.