Dedicated Tommy White Thread (Transfers to LSU)

48,469 Views | 352 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCooke93
castlewood107
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was sorta worried with the viral hype he would NIL to the SEC (A&M?) at season's end. Sad but part of the new world order here.

FSU doesn't make much sense. Still hours from home, their fan base wants to fire Martin Jr for limping into the tourney and doing nothing since 11 retired, they arent flush with cash like the SEC and are losing a lot off this current team so seems like their Omaha chances would mirror ours in 2023.....

FSU is in a very tough regional and could easily go 0-2 or 1-2 with a meek win over the 4 seed. Tommy doesn't hit 30 bombs next year the fans are going to hate on him, especially with an error-filled year at 3B which seems likely.
Bas2020
James Henderson said:

Nairo said:

Can't regulate pay but you can regulate transferring and tampering. I think the solution is that scholarships need to be binding contracts among both parties (not renewable year to year but guaranteed for five years) and non compete agreements written into the agreement. If a kid wants to transfer they either have to sit a year or pay back the full value of the grant to the school to get released from their contract. They can negotiate severance if the coach leaves and they want out of the contract. Just like in the business world.

Wolfpacklife said:

I've followed college sports my whole life and always said it was the best because these kids have motivation to play for the next level etc... now we just have minor leagues in every sport.

These kids deserved money for NIL.. but this crap is already old. No way it should have ever been let go without some regulations on total pay.

IMO, you now put back in the 1-year sit rules. Pairing it with NIL has been the culprit.

OR you incentivize academics. Free to transfers- grads or players with 60+ hours and GPA above a certain threshold.

I dont have the answers but they need a situation where at most kids are playing at 2 schools over the course of their careers.... not 4 or 5.

You have to limit the transfers so way, some how.
Pack87
Competition is what makes sports appealing, and teams need to be able to set up a plan over a couple of years. If you go into every offseason wondering who gets poached, whose feelings are hurt?, etc. then it will all unravel. I may give money to a collective, but not until there are some guidelines that have to be followed. My $50-100/month is not going to outbid some billionaire that sees the next shiny object he wants on his team.
Nairo
Then suddenly you'd see UNC reverse course and start suppressing kids grades and making them actually attend class to prevent transfer.

Bas2020 said:

James Henderson said:

Nairo said:

Can't regulate pay but you can regulate transferring and tampering. I think the solution is that scholarships need to be binding contracts among both parties (not renewable year to year but guaranteed for five years) and non compete agreements written into the agreement. If a kid wants to transfer they either have to sit a year or pay back the full value of the grant to the school to get released from their contract. They can negotiate severance if the coach leaves and they want out of the contract. Just like in the business world.

Wolfpacklife said:

I've followed college sports my whole life and always said it was the best because these kids have motivation to play for the next level etc... now we just have minor leagues in every sport.

These kids deserved money for NIL.. but this crap is already old. No way it should have ever been let go without some regulations on total pay.

IMO, you now put back in the 1-year sit rules. Pairing it with NIL has been the culprit.

OR you incentivize academics. Free to transfers- grads or players with 60+ hours and GPA above a certain threshold.

I dont have the answers but they need a situation where at most kids are playing at 2 schools over the course of their careers.... not 4 or 5.

You have to limit the transfers so way, some how.
GopherPack
You learn a lot about a persons character when they get in the spotlight. And Tommy tanks and his whole camp have showed their true colors. Unprofessional would be a compliment. Good riddance
cmball3
GopherPack said:

You learn a lot about a persons character when they get in the spotlight. And Tommy tanks and his whole camp have showed their true colors. Unprofessional would be a compliment. Good riddance
welp, he gone
Daviewolf83
James Henderson said:

Nairo said:

Wolfpacklife said:

You and I are in total agreement on this change. I have been saying all along that combining the removal of the one-year sit rule and NIL has been the issue. It created "unrestricted" free-agency in an environment (college sports) that needs to have some regulation. Without this one rule change (reinstate one-year sit rule), I do not see the situation changing.

I am still waiting for the day when people paying for these large NIL deals make demands to coaches regarding playing time. It was discussed recently by some coaches and they know it is going to happen. Hopefully, they treat it like they do if a parent makes those types of demands - they either hang-up the phone or just disengage from the conversation.
metcalfmafia
Good bye Tommy. Barely knew ya.
wolf01
Pack87 said:

Competition is what makes sports appealing, and teams need to be able to set up a plan over a couple of years. If you go into every offseason wondering who gets poached, whose feelings are hurt?, etc. then it will all unravel. I may give money to a collective, but not until there are some guidelines that have to be followed. My $50-100/month is not going to outbid some billionaire that sees the next shiny object he wants on his team.
I give to the collective and Elite+ largely to try to help form a foundation of earning opportunities for our athletes. So that they all have a chance to earn something. This may not help keep a star like Tommy around, but it can help improve the quality of the rank and file guys we have on our rosters. Look at what our Bball team has done during this offseason in the NIL environment. They didn't grab any transfers off of some Top 20 list that were getting $400k, but they loaded up on good players and we should have a roster that can compete. Football hasn't lost a single star this offseason. Cases like this aren't all about NIL or our lack of it, sometimes these fall squarely on the players shoulders and the decisions they are trying to make for themselves - and I'm not saying that as a positive thing.
James Henderson
Staff
Daviewolf83 said:

James Henderson said:

Nairo said:

Wolfpacklife said:

You and I are in total agreement on this change. I have been saying all along that combining the removal of the one-year sit rule and NIL has been the issue. It created "unrestricted" free-agency in an environment (college sports) that needs to have some regulation. Without this one rule change (reinstate one-year sit rule), I do not see the situation changing.

I am still waiting for the day when people paying for these large NIL deals make demands to coaches regarding playing time. It was discussed recently by some coaches and they know it is going to happen. Hopefully, they treat it like they do if a parent makes those types of demands - they either hang-up the phone or just disengage from the conversation.
Yep, it's unrestricted free agency without a salary cap.
CLTWolf
GopherPack said:

That's extremely unfortunate b/c Tommy was well liked by his roommates and their families up to this point from what I was told. Pretty sure one roommate's family member was even helping with some t-shirt stuff. (I could've heard that part wrong)
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
wolf01
GopherPack said:

Good to know. Let him go be someone else's problem then.
Daviewolf83
castlewood107 said:

I was sorta worried with the viral hype he would NIL to the SEC (A&M?) at season's end. Sad but part of the new world order here.

FSU doesn't make much sense. Still hours from home, their fan base wants to fire Martin Jr for limping into the tourney and doing nothing since 11 retired, they arent flush with cash like the SEC and are losing a lot off this current team so seems like their Omaha chances would mirror ours in 2023.....

FSU is in a very tough regional and could easily go 0-2 or 1-2 with a meek win over the 4 seed. Tommy doesn't hit 30 bombs next year the fans are going to hate on him, especially with an error-filled year at 3B which seems likely.
I actually had this discussion with a couple of sports writers in the media room at last week's ACC baseball tournament. I told them I fully expect some SEC teams to make a run at Tommy and I would not be surprised if it involved a 6-figure payout. They disagreed the number would be this large and I may be wrong, but I did not believe I was wrong about teams making contact. I told them I thought contact would come from players he knows and not the boosters. While they saw it a possibility, they thought it was not as likely as I was saying. I guess I got this one right - unfortunately.

I am surprised it could be FSU, but finding out he has some friends who are players on the team makes it less surprising and fits with what I expressed to the writers last week. If he does end up at FSU, the home series next season will be an interesting set of games to attend.
WolfpackJack69
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/what-s-an-nil-deal-worth-for-nc-state-athletes-we-have-some-numbers/20310312/
JCooke93
Popcorn
GopherPack
This is a crock of ***** NC is a no report state, so the athletes don't have to report anything to the school. These numbers are WAY off. We are much higher. Just an example of lazy journalism.
Sorry, little grumpy this morning
wolf01
GopherPack said:

This is a crock of ***** NC is a no report state, so the athletes don't have to report anything to the school. These numbers are WAY off. We are much higher. Just an example of lazy journalism.
That and making sure they paint us in as negative of a light as possible. So all our athletes have earned $35k total? Ok...
SportManagementEngineer
GopherPack said:

Well I think it is time to wrap this one up

Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
ncsufan13

Man.
IronWolf24
Damn.

metcalfmafia
IronWolf24 said:

Damn.

Go on then kid. Best of luck holding hands with your agent for the rest of your life.
BP Cox
Staff
GopherPack said:

I still repeated the numbers on twitter to get people's attention.

So many in our fanbase are quick to point out what we do not have or need however they are the ones that are not contributing. We all know someone like this.

It's time everyone changes that. They can definitely follow your lead Gopher...you've put yourself out there and are a great example for folks. And not everyone has to own their own company or be a Goodnight. If they are not giving anything currently start small. Give $5 or $10 a month. It's that simple.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
Wolfpack
See ya Tommy. I hope you go to FSU and we see you next year.
Kgar2121
What a POS

metcalfmafia said:

IronWolf24 said:

Damn.

Go on then kid. Best of luck holding hands with your agent for the rest of your life.
GopherPack
If karma exists, we are about to see a slump of biblical proportions
Wlfpackamk
Ugh. Biggest star since Trey Turner and he's like "See ya" after year 1. Punch to the gut.
gtman49
My gift for you Tommy -

Pbacker
College sports starting to absolutely suck.
SportManagementEngineer
If FSU lets him play third we should bunt down his line 100 times in the series against them.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Pakbackr
What a punk!
wilmwolf
Guys leave, but doing it this way is a pretty big **** you to fans who have done nothing but love the guy from day one. I'm not going to wish him ill, because I'm a better person than he and his dad are, but I will hope there's some karma for how this went down.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
kbdavis33
Odd that he didn't even come to the exit interview. Seems like he might be a little full of it.

I get FSU is home but that doesn't make sense to me. Not like their baseball program has stupid money or full stadiums.

Go to Arkansas, Texas, Tenn, etc. Go get paid and play in front of 15k
ZAXPACK15
I'll never lose sleep over a jerk leaving the team if that's how he really is. But I'll be loudly booing his next AB in the Doak and I'll let him use his money to stuff his ears and get over it.
3rd generation CALS grad
metcalfmafia
GopherPack said:

If karma exists, we are about to see a slump of biblical proportions
Did anyone from POW get the chance to talk to Tommy?
DJncsu13
Tommy Trash
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.