Dedicated Tommy White Thread (Transfers to LSU)

48,463 Views | 352 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCooke93
BP Cox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Please move discussion here.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
Ellesdad
Two thoughts…

If he left, I get it. Won't blame a person for getting paid. It certainly won't be the last time it happens in this new era.

On the other hand, this would be an all-timer disappointment as a State fan. Not quite Russ leaving, but it's up there. I know the team would be fine, state baseball would continue… but it would be a bummer. I can't imagine how EA would feel.
pbr1973
Let's just let it play out. At this point it's just conjecture.
73PackFan
It is disappointing news if true. I understand a lot of things factor into these decisions. I truly hope this is not purely a NIL deal.
BigLefty24
Great way to leverage maximizing an NIL deal with Pack of Wolves. Just like coaches leaking interest in an open job, only to resign at the current school for a huge raise.

Smart move Tanks. Smart move.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

Packforlife
Trust me I love tommy great hitter but let's be honest at any level of baseball right now he is a Dh only he is a liability on the field he is basically not mobile enough to play on the corners. If he transfers to any high level program he will be there Dh also.
BigLefty24
Packforlife said:

Trust me I love tommy great hitter but let's be honest at any level of baseball right now he is a Dh only he is a liability on the field he is basically not mobile enough to play on the corners. If he transfers to any high level program he will be there Dh also.

No, he won't. He'll be playing a corner position. The pros aren't looking to draft a DH, and Tommy knows it would cost him a ton of potential draft money. A college team isn't going to lose a generational type hitter by preventing him from taking the field which would cost him draft potential. Avent won't be trying to sell him on being a DH. No chance.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Wolfpacklife
I'm sure EA and staff are doing everything they can behind the scenes to get Tommy to stay. If he decides to leave I highly doubt it's for a lack of trying.

WolfpackBrooks
I'll never understand why anyone would pitch him fastballs, he's a fantastic hitter he's also a river boat gambler that's was 0-2 more than any player on the team yet still got fastballs lol, makes zero sense to me
Wolfpack
BigLefty24 said:

Packforlife said:

No, he won't. He'll be playing a corner position. The pros aren't looking to draft a DH, and Tommy knows it would cost him a ton of potential draft money. A college team isn't going to lose a generational type hitter by preventing him from taking the field which would cost him draft potential. Avent won't be trying to sell him on being a DH. No chance.

Tommy playing a corner position instead of DH is on Tommy. He can work on it in the offseason…
Packforlife
You do not have to play the field now if you are a generational hitter both leagues have the Dh now.
BigLefty24
Wolfpack said:

BigLefty24 said:

Packforlife said:

Tommy playing a corner position instead of DH is on Tommy. He can work on it in the offseason…

Not the point. He'll be playing a corner position next year. Regardless of what he does in the offseason.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

BigLefty24
Packforlife said:

You do not have to play the field now if you are a generational hitter both leagues have the Dh now.

You're not getting a high draft grade without a position. And a kid ain't risking out on draft money hoping he can work his way through the minors on a few hundred dollars a week and a meal stipend.

You guys are thinking very narrow. This is a leverage move by Tommy and his camp. He's going into next year with a new NIL deal and a guarantee to play the field. If our crowd can't accommodate that, then they need someone else making decisions.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

DJncsu13
I don't think most **sane** people would hate him for leaving for NIL. However, as I've noted in other threads, transferring in division to FSU is where people will have their rub.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
Wolfpack
BigLefty24 said:

Wolfpack said:

BigLefty24 said:

Packforlife said:

Not the point. He'll be playing a corner position next year. Regardless of what he does in the offseason.

Sure, but I support Avent holding firm merely because Tommy is gonna have to learn how to grind and learn at some point. Once he's drafted, in the minors… etc. He has the college bat to play wherever the hell he wants, but if we're talking about long term earnings, feel the tough love now is the right approach for him. No superstar college player will believe that though, so oh well
PKAwolfpacker
Agreed, Tommy will be in the field next year wherever he plays. I do think our coaches understand that too.

The other factor is playing closer to home. If that is very important to him, then there isn't really a whole lot we can do.
BigLefty24
I don't have any issue with the way Avent handled it this year. And I don't have any issue with Tommy making sure he's doing everything to maximize and ensure his earning potential right now.

Tommy will be in the field somewhere next year. Hopefully, our crowd will give him the assurances he needs to hear.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Wolfpack
BigLefty24 said:

Packforlife said:

You're not getting a high draft grade without a position. And a kid ain't risking out on draft money hoping he can work his way through the minors on a few hundred dollars a week and a meal stipend.

You guys are thinking very narrow. This is a leverage move by Tommy and his camp. He's going into next year with a new NIL deal and a guarantee to play the field. If our crowd can't accommodate that, then they need someone else making decisions.

Fair and rational take. Even though it may not be actually best for him, I understand this position
griff17matt
BigLefty24 said:

Packforlife said:

Just bc he plays in the field doesn't mean a team won't still see him as a DH. He could play every game at 3B the rest of his time here and still lose draft slots. This is where Tommy needs to grow up and be a big boy and realize baseball isn't just about hitting. Chicks dig the long ball and GMs dig not being a liability in the field. Tommy is the only one that can change that.

That said, hopefully he can be serviceable in the field and sticks with us. And I hope we give him the opportunity to get better in the field or prove he can't do it.
wilmwolf
It has been said that he came to State because we were the only team that told him he would have a chance to play in the field. He was afforded that chance this year, and would've continued to play third had he not been hurt. I'm sure he would be afforded the same opportunity next year. Regardless of how well he can hit, having one guy breaking offensive records isn't enough to win, as evidenced by this year, so there has to be a balance with defense. If this is a power move by his camp, aka his dad most likely, that's fine, but I'm not in favor of guaranteeing college players anything. If they wanna bounce, his production can be replaced, though not likely by any single player. It would be less that ideal from a team marketing standpoint, but they don't give trophies for Twitter mentions. Hope it works out, he's been great to watch, but I'm not losing sleep over it.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
smitt86
Dude has a NIL deal with Fornite. Where else is he going to get as fun of a NIL deal?

I don't think he's going to have any shortage of NIL deals at NC State after the year he just had. Unless Avent tells him he won't see the field next year, not sure why he'd look around.
JCooke93
Same here
Bell Tower Grey
Apparently, he IS more about the bright lights and hype than was previously mentioned.

Good for him if he starts cashing bigger checks now in Raleigh or somewhere else. If he stays, I am more concerned about next season's team chemistry than I am about him playing in the field or being a DH.

I'm not expecting a surprise from him either way - he either stays or goes. Recruit some more talent and next man up.
BigLefty24
I mean, we're acting like we fielded an elite infield defensive team this year, and White is somehow gonna wreck it. Payton Green just made another error as we speak. .878 Fielding percentage... YIKES. And we're worried about White.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

FLWolf
Our D was horrendous this year-we weren't going win with or without White in the field this year
Jtilley
There aren't many 6'0 240lb 3rd baseman in the league, especially any that are well below average defensively. At best, he is a 1B long term defensively unless he just loses a ton of weight and learns to play a corner OF spot. Luckily for guys like him the National league now has the DH. The other thing is if MLB changes the shift rules like most think next year, infield defense will be more of a premium again.

With all that being said, if Dan Vogelbach can get a job in the MLB he can too, I just don't think it's at 3rd.

Long term to me, he looks like a guy who will probably be a platoon player at 1B/DH unless he just keeps destroying RH pitching.

With us, I think it hurts big time from a marketing/branding standpoint though. Every kid who plays baseball knows who Tommy White and that he plays at state. That's a national type brand that really helps.
Jtilley
BigLefty24 said:

I mean, we're acting like we fielded an elite infield defensive team this year, and White is somehow gonna wreck it. Payton Green just made another error as we speak. .878 Fielding percentage... YIKES. And we're worried about White.
Payton needs to move to 2B.
JCooke93
Payton at 2B I like it
ClePack
I don't think you can understate how big of a loss this is to the team. Can't lost a guy like this, you just can't.
All momentum dies if tommy leaves. Next year's team trajectory changes big time without him.
Wolfpack
ClePack said:

I don't think you can understate how big of a loss this is to the team. Can't lost a guy like this, you just can't.
All momentum dies if tommy leaves. Next year's team trajectory changes big time without him.

Meh. The truth is between this and it doesn't matter at all. Go check Avent's record season by season since the big 2013 break through. Dude knows how to win games and will with or without White
rbaker
JC what's your odds
50-50
60-40??
JCooke93
Amen to that
KKandDD
I could be wrong here but it would not surprise me if he hits .250 or worse with 7-10 HR next year regardless of who he's playing for. Going to be a lot of hype and expectations.
BigLefty24
KKandDD said:

I could be wrong here but it would not surprise me if he hits .250 or worse with 7-10 HR next year regardless of who he's playing for. Going to be a lot of hype and expectations.

Definitely going to be a lot of expectations to uphold. The thing with White that makes him less susceptible to struggles is his ability to hit backside with power. That ability can't be taught, and it eliminates a ton of variables when it comes to hitting. He's as good of a gap to gap/backside hitter as I've seen in a long time.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

BobbyCox95
BigLefty24 said:

KKandDD said:

Definitely going to be a lot of expectations to uphold. The thing with White that makes him less susceptible to struggles is his ability to hit backside with power. That ability can't be taught, and it eliminates a ton of variables when it comes to hitting. He's as good of a gap to gap/backside hitter as I've seen in a long time.

I don't think he'll hit .250 and 7-10 hrs but I do think his production with fall off some. High expectations plus he's not gonna sneak up on anyone. He's no longer a freshman and everyone's seen him. Pitchers will have better scouting reports on him and he's not gonna see a lot of good pitches to hit going forward.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.