Baseball vs unc-ch 5/6-8 (7-8, 9-2, 6-7)

21,359 Views | 264 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wilmwolf
metcalfmafia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Like clockwork, all of the NC State baseball "fans" magically appear on Twitter during the UNC series.
WolfQuacker
Avent should have refused to let Chris pitch. I guess hindsight is 20-20, but I guess he assumed they'd have to pitch in the slop too.
Wolfpacklife
Ain't nothing. Go and get right with this game and then close the series in game 3
metcalfmafia
Wolfpacklife said:

Ain't nothing. Go and get right with this game and then close the series in game 3

Exactly. It's baseball.
82TxPackFan
Should have started remainder of last night's game at noon or earlier given today's forecast. Whoever decided to start at one made a very bad decision.
Wolfer79
NC State rolls out the tarp. No word on any change to the aforementioned 3:50 p.m. first pitch as of yet.

DrummerboyWolf
kmb717 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Too many walks and errors. They always kill you. Two hard hit balls, but right at the 3rd basemen.

Gino's double play ball in the 8th was also scorched right to SS.
Yep can't fault the effort on those three balls, just hit in the wrong place. That is baseball.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Wolfer79
Packamylase
What time is game 2 looking?
Wolfer79
Packamylase said:

What time is game 2 looking?
deleted tweet said tarp on field and scheduled 3:50 1st pitch was in doubt
Wolfer79
The start of game two has been suspended due to lightning.

PaperWolf
ETA - Didn't see that Wolfer had already updated the deleted tweet to this so here it is again.

"There are 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses...Hit it!"
Wolfer79
Hearing that the head coaches will reassess the situation at 5 p.m.

DanielWilsonIPS
Wolfer79 said:

Carolina wants to play
Daniel Wilson
Staff Writer, IPS
Producer, Learfield
NCBWA Member
Borowolf10
DanielWilsonIPS said:

Wolfer79 said:

Carolina wants to play

I hope we want to play too.
wilmwolf
metcalfmafia said:

Like clockwork, all of the NC State baseball "fans" magically appear on Twitter during the UNC series.

Yup. My first post in this thread :

"The UNC series seems to be when the casual State baseball fans start to pay attention every year."

Though with the Twitter goons, I'm not sure fans is the right word.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
wilmwolf
Only caught the 9th inning, but tough breaks all around. We've typically been on the wrong side of those downpour situations, though we caught a break on one last year in the post season, but tough time for Chris to have to pitch, and then the rain stops for their guy. It's baseball though, sometimes the bounces don't go your way. Just need to take the next two.
Glasswolf
Doubt they will play and more today. Look for a double header with game 2 starting around 11 am Sunday
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

DanielWilsonIPS
Borowolf10 said:

DanielWilsonIPS said:

Wolfer79 said:

Carolina wants to play

Not today. It's coming down hard over here, and Doak isn't the best at drainage, so it'd be a hassle to play on.
Daniel Wilson
Staff Writer, IPS
Producer, Learfield
NCBWA Member
metcalfmafia
DanielWilsonIPS said:

Borowolf10 said:

DanielWilsonIPS said:

Wolfer79 said:

Carolina wants to play

Not today. It's coming down hard over here, and Doak isn't the best at drainage, so it'd be a hassle to play on.

Hence the playing surface upgrades coming in the off-season.
Wolfer79
DanielWilsonIPS
Doubleheader tomorrow at 11
Daniel Wilson
Staff Writer, IPS
Producer, Learfield
NCBWA Member
Wolfer79
DanielWilsonIPS said:

Doubleheader tomorrow at 11
thank you

and thank you for Pack the Bases twitter account
Wolfpacklife
Rats. Well now we just have to take care of business tomorrow. Get r dun fellas!
Glasswolf
Glasswolf said:

Doubt they will play and more today. Look for a double header with game 2 starting around 11 am Sunday
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Wolfer79
Saturday's ticket will be valid for the 11 AM game, and Sunday's ticket will be valid for the second game. Game two will start 45 minutes after the conclusion of game one.

Civilized
Had tickets today but going to try to sneak over for the 11 AM first pitch before celebrating some mothers!

EthanBarry
Staff
Frustrating loss. State can't lose games where they throw both Lawson and Villaman. Also, gonna need some big outs from Adams/Nelson/Payne in a regional and none are inspiring a ton of confidence right now.
WolfQuacker
EthanBarry said:

Frustrating loss. State can't lose games where they throw both Lawson and Villaman. Also, gonna need some big outs from Adams/Nelson/Payne in a regional and none are inspiring a ton of confidence right now.
I love this team but I don't think they're built for a big postseason run. Setting up nicely for next season for sure and I hope I'm eating major crow. Today sucked... the rain situation really pissed me off, but honestly an error-free game could have been a clean win.
Daviewolf83
Civilized said:

Had tickets today but going to try to sneak over for the 11 AM first pitch before celebrating some mothers!

I plan to be at the 11am game, photographing the game for IPS from the dugouts. I am not sure I will shoot both games. Double-headers are a little rough on this old guy's legs :-)
Wolfer79
In a back-and-forth game that saw a weather delay, NC State baseball (29-14, 11-10 ACC) came up short to North Carolina (26-17, 9-13 ACC) on Saturday afternoon in the series opener at Doak Field at Dail Park.

The teams managed to get through four innings on Friday night before having to suspend the game to Saturday afternoon due to inclement weather in the area. The contest featured five lead changes and two ties.

North Carolina got on the board in the first inning on Alberto Osuna's RBI fielder's choice after back-to-back outfield singles put runners in scoring position.

The Pack knotted the score at 1-1 in the third when Tommy White drove in Payton Green from third with a double to left field after he started the frame with a base hit, stole second and moved to third on an error.

The game was sent into a weather delay with one out in the fifth inning and the teams resumed play on Saturday afternoon, and the Heels managed to retake their lead on a Wolfpack miscue with the bases loaded.

NC State answered in the bottom frame when LuJames Groover III came up with the clutch two-run single after a hit-by-pitch, single and error put Jacob Cozart and Devonte Brown in scoring position, giving the Pack its first lead of the game at 3-2.

The score was once again knotted up at 3-3 in the sixth when Vance Honeycutt launched a solo shot over the right center wall, and then the Heels proceeded to plate four more runs on a three-run home run by Hunter Stokely and an RBI double by Tomas Frick.

The Pack battled back in its half of the sixth and brought three runs across to make it a one-run game at 7-6. Noah Soles and Green drew back-to-back one-out walks to start the side, and after a fielder's choice put runners at the corners Soles crossed home plate on a wild pitch for the first run of the frame. An RBI single up the middle by Brown followed by a UNC error pushed the other two runs across.

Soles delivered the game-tying hit in the seventh to make it 7-7 with an RBI double off the left field wall, as he drove in J.T. Jarrett from first after he reached on a two-out single through the right side.

North Carolina managed to bring the go-ahead run across in the top of the ninth thanks to Mac Horvath's sac fly to left field. Max Riemer drew a leadoff walk to start the inning, and after Reece Holbrook replaced him on the base paths a sac bunt and infield single allowed Holbrook to start the threat.

Brown led the team's offense with a 3-for-5 outing, his third consecutive multi-hit game and fourth in five games. Additionally, White went 2-for-5 at the plate in his first game back after missing two due to injury.

NC State and North Carolina will meet for game two of the series Saturday afternoon in Raleigh. The game will be broadcast on ACCNX and there will be an audio stream on WKNC 88.1 and the Varsity Network App.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/5/7/baseball-pack9-comes-up-short-in-series-opener-with-heels.aspx
EthanBarry
Staff
WolfQuacker said:

EthanBarry said:

I love this team but I don't think they're built for a big postseason run. Setting up nicely for next season for sure and I hope I'm eating major crow. Today sucked... the rain situation really pissed me off, but honestly an error-free game could have been a clean win.

It's all about matchups. But I agree, right now it's tough to pick them to win a regional
wilmwolf
Always so dour. Who would've picked us to do what we did last year? I have no idea what this team will do in the post season this year, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy them just as much. Given that we lost seven guys from the every day lineup to the pros, and lost the best pitcher on the staff due to injury, I think what they've done so far is amazing. Can they get back to Omaha? Might be a tall ask, but anything is possible. If it were me in charge, I would do everything possible to sell out and win an ACC championship, which I think this team can do, and get that monkey off our back. Worry about the rest when it gets here
Wolfer79
kmb717
Sloppy start right out of the gates. Sigh.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.