Baseball vs unc-ch 5/6-8 (7-8, 9-2, 6-7)

21,042 Views | 264 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by wilmwolf
Steve Videtich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They showed that stat of our fielding percentage compared to last year. 236th (I believe) in the country this season. That says a lot about how our season is going. Not doing the little things consistently well enough.
flylike44
I'm admittedly ignorant when it comes to ncaa baseball. Are we a tournament team after today or do we still have work to do?
EthanBarry
Staff
flylike44 said:

I'm admittedly ignorant when it comes to ncaa baseball. Are we a tournament team after today or do we still have work to do?
Definitely a tourney team
flylike44
EthanBarry said:

flylike44 said:

Definitely a tourney team

Sweet! I don't know diddly about baseball but last year was so fun…Until The Great Unpleasantness.
Wolfer79
NC State baseball (30-15, 12-11 ACC) split its doubleheader on Sunday afternoon with North Carolina (27-18, 10-14 ACC) at Doak Field at Dail Park. The Wolfpack earned a 9-2 win in game one to even series but fell 7-6 in game two to ultimately drop the series with the Tar Heels.

Game One Recap
Behind Matt Willadsen's second career complete game, the Wolfpack exploded for 17 hits to earn a 9-2 victory and even the series. Despite the Tar Heels taking an early lead, the Pack scored eight unanswered runs en route to the win.

The Heels brought a run across in the first inning when Mac Horvath scored from third on Danny Serretti's RBI single to the shortstop after a walk, stolen base and passed ball put him at third.

In the bottom of the first Tommy White belted his 20th home run of the season over the left field wall to tie the score up at 1-1. He now stands alone at eighth in the Wolfpack record books for the most home runs in a single season. Additionally, he is two home runs away from tying the ACC freshman home run record, which is 22 by Florida State's Matt Diaz in 1998.

The Pack took a 2-1 lead in the third when LuJames Groover III crossed home plate on a wild pitch after tallying his first hit of the day to start the side.

Groover and Josh Hood extended the Pack's lead to 4-1 in the fourth thanks to big RBI hits with runners in scoring position. Jacob Godman and Devonte Brown tallied base hits to put runners in scoring position for Groover, who delivered with the RBI double to right field to score Godman for the first run. Then, after White was intentionally walked to load the bases for Hood, he roped a single to left field to bring Brown home for the second run.

Hood added two more in the sixth, giving NC State a 6-1 advantage with a two-run home run to left center after White reached on a one-out single to left field. Hood now has 12 home runs on the season to rank second on the team in the category.

In the seventh, NC State plated three more runs to make it 9-1 thanks to a two-run homer by Jacob Cozart to right field, his third of the year, and an RBI groundout from White after Brown reached on an outfield single for his second hit of the game.

The Heels cut into their deficit in the eighth to make it 9-2 when Serretti roped an RBI double down the left field line, scoring Horvath after he reached on a single to the shortstop.

Groover, Hood and White each tallied three hits in the contest while Hood drove in a team-high three runs batted in. Brown and Noah Soles additionally turned in multi-hit games with two hits apiece.

Willadsen was stellar on the mound, tossing his second career complete game as he allowed just one earned run on five hits and two walks while fanning nine batters.

Game Two Recap
In the rubber game the Heels once again got out front early thanks to Vance Honeycutt's two-run home run to left field in the first inning, but the Pack tied things right up thanks to solo home runs on back-to-back pitches by Brown and Groover. It was Brown's 11th of the year and Groover's seventh of the season.

Payton Green put the Pack ahead 4-2 in the second with a two-run home run to left field after Soles doubled to right field in the previous at bat. It was Green's sixth of the season and the squad's third of the game.

North Carolina managed to knot the score back up at 4-4 in the third on a Vance Honeycutt sac fly to right field followed by a Hunter Stokely RBI double to right center after Horvath and Serretti doubled and singled, in respective order, to put runners at the corners.

After a scoreless fourth and fifth by both squads, UNC plated the go-ahead run to make it 5-4 in the sixth thanks to a Wolfpack error with a runner at third, but the Pack answered in the bottom frame when Cozart delivered with a two-run single to score J.T. Jarrett and Soles after a pair of singles and a fly out put them in scoring position to put NC State ahead, 6-5.

The Heels struck again in the eighth inning when Alberto Osuna hit what proved to be the game-winning run, a two-run homer to left field, to take a 7-6 lead.

In the bottom of the ninth the Pack managed to put the game-tying run on base when Brown drew a leadoff walk and moved into scoring position on a passed ball, but three strikeouts ended the ball game.

Starting pitcher Canaan Silver tossed 6.1 innings and tallied a career-high eight strikeouts. Offensively, Soles, Green and Cozart each went 2-for-4 at the plate while Green and Cozart drove in a team-best two RBIs a piece.

On Deck
NC State will begin a four-game road swing Tuesday when it travels to UNCW for its penultimate midweek matchup of the season. First pitch is set for 6 p.m. at Brooks Field in Wilmington, N.C., and the game will be broadcast on FloSports ($). There will additionally be an audio stream on WKNC 88.1 and the Varsity Network App.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/5/8/baseball-pack9-splits-sunday-doubleheader-with-north-carolina.aspx
TheStorm
metcalfmafia said:

I blame the drunken ******* in my section saying really stupid stuff to the UNC players. Embarrassing.
Old dude?
Packsd14me
Borowolf10 said:

Why would you pinch hit Nixon for Giles there?
I thought he was going to bunt....but now I am not sure.
castlewood107
Tough series loss but plenty of season left.

A couple years back (2019?), we won series at CH late in the year. .....They went on to win the ACCT and we faceplanted from there, going 0-2 at ECU regional.

Lots of baseball left. Just hope Gino is ok.

The Nixon pinch hit was curious. Would rather see Eisert there lay down a bunt on the 1st base side and let him use his wheels and their large 1B make a play. Their right-side IF defense was iffy during the series. Only thing there though is a sac bunt makes it 100% they walk Tommy Tanks. I see both sides.
metcalfmafia
TheStorm said:

metcalfmafia said:

I blame the drunken ******* in my section saying really stupid stuff to the UNC players. Embarrassing.
Old dude?
Nah young fella.
PaperWolf
Were you in Section 11 by chance?

metcalfmafia said:

TheStorm said:

metcalfmafia said:

Old dude?
Nah young fella.
"There are 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses...Hit it!"
metcalfmafia
PaperWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

TheStorm said:

metcalfmafia said:

Old dude?
Nah young fella.

Yep LOL
PaperWolf
I'm pretty sure we're talking same dude. Occasionally something he said was funny by itself, but in totality it was over the top no doubt. I saw his gf/wife try to reign him in multiple times to no avail.

metcalfmafia said:

PaperWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

TheStorm said:

metcalfmafia said:

Old dude?
Nah young fella.

Yep LOL
"There are 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses...Hit it!"
metcalfmafia
PaperWolf said:

I'm pretty sure we're talking same dude. Occasionally something he said was funny by itself, but in totality it was over the top no doubt. I saw his gf/wife try to reign him in multiple times to no avail.

metcalfmafia said:

PaperWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

TheStorm said:

metcalfmafia said:

Old dude?
Nah young fella.

Yep LOL

Yeah that's him for sure.

Well the ultimate nail in the coffin was him heckling Osuna during his at bat for wearing the number 23 (even though Matt Willadsen wears 23 for our team) and then Osuna proceeding to mash a homer in the same at bat.
Daviewolf83
PaperWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

PaperWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

TheStorm said:

metcalfmafia said:

Old dude?
Nah young fella.

Yep LOL

Was he there in the first game yesterday? I photographed a couple of innings from the UNC dugout and there was a rather loud guy above me yelling all types of crazy stuff. I did come up to the stands and shot a couple of innings from behind home plate, before heading back down to the State dugout for the last two innings. I did not shoot the second game - had some Mother's Day activities with my wife and daughter later in the day.
PaperWolf
Yeah he was there for both so you were likely graced by his presence lol.

Daviewolf83 said:

PaperWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

PaperWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

TheStorm said:

metcalfmafia said:

Old dude?
Nah young fella.

Yep LOL

Was he there in the first game yesterday? I photographed a couple of innings from the UNC dugout and there was a rather loud guy above me yelling all types of crazy stuff. I did come up to the stands and shot a couple of innings from behind home plate, before heading back down to the State dugout for the last two innings. I did not shoot the second game - had some Mother's Day activities with my wife and daughter later in the day.
PaperWolf
Glad I missed that...had to make the trek back west since I hadn't accounted for weather when I initially planned my trip up. I hate leaving early from any of our games but the drive dictated it yesterday so I hung around until T8 when we had the lead. By the time I got the audio up and running they had retaken the lead

metcalfmafia said:

PaperWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

PaperWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

TheStorm said:

metcalfmafia said:

Old dude?
Nah young fella.

Yep LOL

Yeah that's him for sure.

Well the ultimate nail in the coffin was him heckling Osuna during his at bat for wearing the number 23 (even though Matt Willadsen wears 23 for our team) and then Osuna proceeding to mash a homer in the same at bat.

Pakbackr
I may be wrong, but I think we are 1-5 vs UNC in the last 6 games played in Raleigh. That is unacceptable results to me!
CLTWolf
Pakbackr said:

I may be wrong, but I think we are 1-5 vs UNC in the last 6 games played in Raleigh. That is unacceptable results to me!

We are 5-1 vs unc in the last 6 games played in Chapel Hill.

This sht happens. Stop being so damn negative all the time. Cheer up.

*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Civilized
Pakbackr said:

Weird splits are called "baseball."

Way too much randomness in baseball to get hung up on small sample sizes.
wilmwolf
CLTWolf said:

Pakbackr said:

We are 5-1 vs unc in the last 6 games played in Chapel Hill.

This sht happens. Stop being so damn negative all the time. Cheer up.

And the five games we've lost to them in Raleigh (which occurred over five seasons btw) have been by a grand total of 6 runs.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.