2020 Atlanta Braves Thread

11,065 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by engineercoach
ShaggyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Civilized said:

DFA'ing Folty after one start is a crazy turn of events. He's looked really bad or unhealthy so far, no doubt, but this guy was an All Star two years ago and started a playoff game last October.

Fried was dealing tonight! Perfect heading into six, finishes giving up one in 6-2/3. I really like what we've got going if a strong third starter can emerge.
FYI Folty cleated waivers and is now in Gwinnett.
Civilized
ShaggyWolf said:

Civilized said:

DFA'ing Folty after one start is a crazy turn of events. He's looked really bad or unhealthy so far, no doubt, but this guy was an All Star two years ago and started a playoff game last October.

Fried was dealing tonight! Perfect heading into six, finishes giving up one in 6-2/3. I really like what we've got going if a strong third starter can emerge.
FYI Folty cleated waivers and is now in Gwinnett.

Another crazy turn of events. Hope he can get right. Not sure if it's mechanical or what, he also looked like he lost a bunch of weight.
Civilized
Comeback last night was nuts! Had to feel good for d'Arnaud to slap his old buddies around and then deliver the huge go ahead double in the 8th.

Newcomb looks the same as last year, which is some promise but has a hard time second and third time through the order.

Need some guys to emerge as our bonafide #3 and #4 rotation guys.

Matt Adams is a professional hitter. Will be interesting to see how the roster gets managed after Markakis returns.

Fun win!

ShaggyWolf
Soroka torn Achilles, our for the year. Brutal.
Civilized
ShaggyWolf said:

Soroka torn Achilles, our for the year. Brutal.

Rotten, rotten news.

And given how slow Achilles recovery can be, will probably be the gift that keeps on giving into next season.

For his sake, I hope he regains full use and makes a full recovery!
ShaggyWolf
Tough loss last night but not a bad outing from Newk. He wants to be a starter so this season is his perfect situation to prove it. Time to step up.
metcalfmafia
ShaggyWolf said:

Tough loss last night but not a bad outing from Newk. He wants to be a starter so this season is his perfect situation to prove it. Time to step up.
He and Wright have the "stuff". Just have to get it in the damn strike zone.
ShaggyWolf
Kakes making a statement last night in his first game back. Braves keep on rolling.
Civilized
ShaggyWolf said:

Kakes making a statement last night in his first game back. Braves keep on rolling.
Touki and Newcomb both looked really good in their last starts, which the Braves have to have. Multiple starters have to emerge with Hamels, Hernandez, Soroka, and Folty all down/out of the rotation.

Kakes went down and hit that thing like a 9-iron! That was fun.
FuzzyRed
Braves offense coming alive, and pitching somehow holding it together. Maybe we'll all stop second guessing their pitcher focused draft classes... Two decisive wins over the Phils in today's Sunday doubleheader. Good to get out ahead of them, as we're playing them roughly 36 times over 60 games (or so it seems).
ShaggyWolf
FuzzyRed said:

Braves offense coming alive, and pitching somehow holding it together. Maybe we'll all stop second guessing their pitcher focused draft classes... Two decisive wins over the Phils in today's Sunday doubleheader. Good to get out ahead of them, as we're playing them roughly 36 times over 60 games (or so it seems).
You can never have enough pitching. Ynoa looked good today. Fried establishing himself as a 1A to healthy Soroka.
ShaggyWolf
Braves now tied for first. Injury bug giving us all it's got.
metcalfmafia
ShaggyWolf said:

Man this is exhausting.
Civilized
metcalfmafia said:

ShaggyWolf said:

Man this is exhausting.

Going as well as it can, considering the loss of 4 of our 5 preseason starters and now Acuna Jr. and Albies.

Great pitching by committee today, along with a little timely hitting.

Holding the Marlins to one run over the last two games when our staff is getting held together by duct tape and bubble gum is impressive.
metcalfmafia
Civilized said:

metcalfmafia said:

ShaggyWolf said:

Man this is exhausting.

Going as well as it can, considering the loss of 4 of our 5 preseason starters and now Acuna Jr. and Albies.

Great pitching by committee today, along with a little timely hitting.

Holding the Marlins to one run over the last two games when our staff is getting held together by duct tape and bubble gum is impressive.

We have one of the best bullpens in baseball. If we can figure out some kind of rotation....

I say all this and we're still in first *shrugs*
ShaggyWolf
ShaggyWolf
metcalfmafia
I like the move. Just need a guy who can get through 4 or 5 innings.
Civilized
Gotta get some more starting pitching.

This team can contend this year and that's the only thing stopping us from making a serious run.

Was Matt Adams' DFA related to this move? I like Matt Adams, pro hitter.
ShaggyWolf
Civilized said:

Gotta get some more starting pitching.

This team can contend this year and that's the only thing stopping us from making a serious run.

Was Matt Adams' DFA related to this move? I like Matt Adams, pro hitter.
Yes he was DFAed. Been struggling as of late. Still a chance he clears waivers.
ShaggyWolf
I'd do this in a heartbeat
metcalfmafia
ShaggyWolf said:

I think since the time of that tweet, that ship sailed. Indians keep driving up their price.
Civilized
ShaggyWolf said:

I think that comes down to who are you more confident about, Waters or Pache?
ShaggyWolf
Civilized said:

ShaggyWolf said:

I think that comes down to who are you more confident about, Waters or Pache?
Guess this doesn't really matter now with Clev going to the Padres. My thought process was our window to win is now so I'd be willing to do a 1 for 1 (Waters for Clev). No idea what all details were involved. Plus I'm no baseball scout so maybe the Braves are super high on Waters.
metcalfmafia
From reading rumors, Waters isn't on quite the upward trend that Acuna, Albies, and Pache are/were on in the minors.

Not saying he can't be good, but I think now would have been the time to deal him if there was any. Now that Clevinger is off the market, we might as well keep him. Better now trade him for Lance Lynn.
Civilized
Have yourself a night, Marcell!

Good lord his third homer of the night landed in New Hampshire. That was a titanic blast.

Great, great pickup when Donaldson bounced. I liked Josh very much but replacing him with Ozuna could not possibly have gone better so far. Austin Riley's been surprisingly good at third defensively and is heating up offensively, and Ozuna is just a damn monster at the plate.
metcalfmafia
Civilized said:

Have yourself a night, Marcell!

Good lord his third homer of the night landed in New Hampshire. That was a titanic blast.

Great, great pickup when Donaldson bounced. I liked Josh very much but replacing him with Ozuna could not possibly have gone better so far. Austin Riley's been surprisingly good at third defensively and is heating up offensively, and Ozuna is just a damn monster at the plate.
If the universal DH becomes permanent next year, you have to consider signing him long term.
Civilized
metcalfmafia said:

If the universal DH becomes permanent next year, you have to consider signing him long term.

100%. Got to.

I'm for the switch to DH for the NL. Fans want to see offense way more than they want to see pitchers hit, or managers flexing their mental muscles by orchestrating double switches late in close games.

I'm a lifelong NL guy, and think the deep traditions of baseball are so unique and borderline sacred, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy the tempo of the game way more this season when our offense doesn't have a built-in rally killer in the 9-hole.

I mean, I loved 'chicks dig the long ball' with Glavine/Maddux and watching Mike Hampton hit a couple of homers a year and all, but...
metcalfmafia
Swept the Red Sox. Heading home sitting pretty good in first place. Starting pitching still a concern but we're gonna be in any game with our bats. Especially once Albies is back.
Civilized
metcalfmafia said:

Swept the Red Sox. Heading home sitting pretty good in first place. Starting pitching still a concern but we're gonna be in any game with our bats. Especially once Albies is back.

Crazy the Braves are doing this down 4 of their 5 expected starters (pre-season) and losing Acuna and Albies for a long stretch.

With Camargo's bat heating up, I'm only half-kidding when I say that Albies better produce quickly once he comes back or else he may find himself platooning or riding pine.

This short season is such a sprint to the finish you don't have the luxury of time for players to slowly work themselves back into game shape while playing actual games.
Civilized
Crazy to have two 3-homer games in the BoSox series (only 23 up to that point in franchise history), and now Freddy hits two grand slams in one series after not having any the first 10 years of his career.

Baseball's a crazy game sometimes.
Civilized
Twenty nine runs'll play!
metcalfmafia
Who need pitching right? LOL
Pack31
metcalfmafia said:

Obviously not us since Milone to the IL now too with shoulder inflammation. I hope that was his problem because he was terrible. Lol. Knoa, Erlin, Anderson, Tomlin, Wright now. Just wow
metcalfmafia
Pack31 said:

metcalfmafia said:

Obviously not us since Milone to the IL now too with shoulder inflammation. I hope that was his problem because he was terrible. Lol. Knoa, Erlin, Anderson, Tomlin, Wright now. Just wow

What? That doesn't look like a World Series rotation to you?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.